Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

Oh really?!@

My date of birth is December, 7th, 1983 and I think I was born at 11:07 pm, but there is a dispute there, because the doctor didn't record the time until a few minutes after I was born but my Dad looked at the clock when I was born and I think that's what he says.

I just have to say that "Scorpionic" is one of the coolest words I've ever seen.

Done being a grammar geek now. :P

I'll PM you with the info, in a few minutes. :P

I just have to say that "Scorpionic" is one of the coolest words I've ever seen.

Yeah it's not an actual word, but it damn well should be! Writers get to coin their own words, so that can be mine. :D Other signs have their own adjectives, we need ours too.

And I like my word. :D

I finally was able to change the title!

And I'm finding some scents give me slight headaches. Even if I like them, I probably shouldn't wear them. ):

I read the post topic as

"Has anyone ever gotten head?"

:P

I do, sometimes.

:D

Anyway, I get headaches from scents sometimes. Some fragrances give me headaches right away, others I'm only semi-sensitive to. I think I'm more sensitive to scent at certain points in my cycle.

Hi,

I'm really loving Eclipse, but I'm experiencing a slight burning sensation when I apply it directly to my skin. Must be the cinnamon. :P

Has anyone else diluted Eclipse, or done something else to make themselves able to wear it without the burning?

Any suggestions appreciated!

There are a couple of things you can try:

wear it on less sensitive parts of your body, i.e., the tops of your arms instead of on the insides and on the back of your neck rather than on your throat

put lotion or oil on your skin first, then the oils

or just dilute them in unscented lotion or carrier oil and spread them over more surface area.

Hope this helps!

My skin does the same thing with cinnamon oils, but I love wearing them. I just kept using them and the redness and burning have been becoming less and less worse over time. I'm hoping eventually, I'll get used to them, but as suggested above, there is the carrier oil option.

Eclipse is my favourite oil at the moment and I just used up half an Imps Ear in making some scented lotion.

I personally used E45 Lotion creme and now it takes away the stinging (the only stinging I had was on my neck).

Edited by Astarte

I think I'll try diluting them with a little body oil today and see if the burning is gone. If not, I'll try the lotion trick.

I really want to wear this!

Thanks, ladies! :P

I am so glad it isn't just me.

I love Black Phoenix but it burns me terribly.

I also wanted to try Eclipse but the cinnamon had put me off.

I will order it next time and try these suggestions. :P

I can't believe it...It's taken me a while to find a BPAL that I totally adore & want to purchase in mass quantities and now after several "tests" it would appear that Jolly Roger is the culprit behind my sinuses swelling shut.

DAMN! It's so unfair! I'm contemplating whether or not to go ahead & buy a larger size & a case of Claritin D...Sounds like a bad relationship, eh???

I just love him so! Sniff, sniff! (Well, if I could sniff...)

Awwww that stinks!!! I felt that way about Three Witches. Although it didn't have that reaction on me!!!

What Bpal have you tried???

Maybe you can isolate the one ingredient that does it, and have Beth customize a blend in which she replaces the culprit with something that smells similar?

I have Lightning & Tempest on my "to try list" (which is getting longer every freakin' day)!

I wish I could pin down what it was that stopped me up so fiercely. I was in denial for a few days--it's the weather, it's the pollen, it's the mold...

Guess I"ll just have to try some more & find something else. Fortunately, I do have a few other bigger bottle contenders--Alice & Maiden--but Jolly Roger was the first one that I immediately adored--and it had great lasting power on me...sigh...

Damn! He's no good for me & I just want him that much more!

I don't know if this is a question which has ever come up before, and I know I can be seen as being dreadfully awkward, but I'd really like to know which perfume blends, if any, contain any kind of nut oils or extracts that aren't listed in the descriptions.

For me, it's a particularly pertinent problem (as for many others, or so I believe): I am severely, severely allergic to nuts (almonds, peanuts, cashews, coconut etc) - to an extent where if someone else has been eating nuts and they touch my skin, I can have an anaphylactic shock reaction through skin contact - and that, if not treated immediately with anti-histamines and adrenaline, could be fatal.

I'm so keen to buy some of these amazing-sounding blends, but obviously I'm at a bit of a loss to know which ones are going to be 'safe' for me to use! :P

Please could some kind soul give me some information about this?

Your best bet may be to find some scents that sound good to you, then email the lab at answers@blackphoenixalchemylab.com to let them know your situation and the blends you are interested in. That way they can not only let you know if you may react to one of the ingredients, they can also take extra precautions on their end when you place an order - ie. not sending you a sample that contains nut oil, etc.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll find lots of blends that don't kill you! :P

I agree with what Paperdoll said... figure out what blends sound tempting to you, then email the lab to find out if they will be ok for you. They should also be able to take extra care with your package so no blends with nuts in them even come close to your package, ok?

I personally would not be able to survive without nuts... I love them far too much! It can't be fun to have to worry about them all the time. :P

mandiapple, your question is not awkward at all!

Food allergies are to be taken seriously, all the more so when they are as severe as yours. I am sure there will be plenty of gorgeous oils that will be safe for you.

Let us know what you end up getting, the information could be useful to other people since allergies to nuts seem to be common, unfortunately.

Take care :P

Hi Mandi, I have a similar problem - allergic to nuts. I haven't had any reactions to the oils yet (knock wood!). I think paperdoll's advice is spot-on.

I haven't mailed the lab about components yet, since I have not ordered any of the oils that explicitly say that they have a nut component (aside from almond, which I am not allergic to).

I'm thinking I could be a little more cautious, though, since not all the components of an oil are always listed.