Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

There aren't any synthetic ingredients used in BPAL perfume, but of course that in no way means you couldn't be having an allergic reaction to something natural.

The body's reactions do change as well. People often spontaneously develop an allergy to something that they previously never had any problem at all with, so that makes it really very difficult to say which culprit is the allergen.

Edit: That wasn't very helpful, was it? :P The only real recommendation I can give is to take note of that reaction, and be careful with any perfumes that share similar notes. You can also try checking to see if you have a reaction to any of the common oils (jojoba, avocado, almond, etc.) sometimes used in perfume oils.

Well, I certainly hope I haven't developed an allergy to cardamom. That might just make me cry. In a manly way, of course. :D

As far as I know I've got no food allergies, and no allergies to common oils, so here's hoping that it was just a strange one-off reaction.

Honestly, the first thing I thought of wasn't cardamom but rather the pepper. It's like with cinnamon: a lot of people can eat cinnamon but complain of burns if it's applied to the skin. Or...i don't know...maybe the bamboo is the culprit. The lab doesn use it very often.

If it is the cardamom though - the lab uses it enough that you can test. Do you have any of the following oils? Absinthe, Nephilim, Bastet, Ides of March or Lex Talionis. All use cardamom.

I am fatally allergic to walnuts & macadamia nuts.  Now I have never had an atopical reaction because, to my knowledge, I haven't spread anything on my skin.  However, if injested I go anaphilactic and could die.  ANYWAY, my point is, has this been discussed?  Does BPAL use nut oils to make their scents?

Any responses to your query yet, Kaylee?

If it is the cardamom though - the lab uses it enough that you can test. Do you have any of the following oils? Absinthe, Nephilim, Bastet, Ides of March or Lex Talionis. All use cardamom.

I don't, but I'm waiting for another reaction so I can cross-reference and see what might be up.

If it happens, I'll post it here.

Although this doesn't really apply so much to BPAL perfumes, this seemed the place to put this:

The Evironmental Work Group's report on the safety of ingredients used in personal care products, including commercial perfumes. (Warning: too close a look at this may cause you to lose sleep at night, but it IS very informative.)

Also:

The Fragrance Products Information Network, which has a lot of information on fragrance allergies.

Well, looks like I'm allergic to Shub-Niggurath too. Pity, because I really liked it.

I'm going to email and see if Whippoorwill and Shub-Niggurath share any common ingredients, so I'll know to avoid it in the future.

I had the allergic reaction to Whippoorwill as well - big time!

I didn't have any reaction to Shub-Niggurath, however. (Yagathai - for that one, maybe there is cinnamon in it? Have you tried other blends with cinnamon?)

As far as Whippoorwill - my first thought as well was maybe the cardamom?

But from the blends that Macha mentioned, I actually have tried Nephilim, Bastet and Lex Talionis and not had a reaction. Maybe there's just a lot more in Whippoorwill?

I contemplated black pepper as well - the only blend that I know of with it that I've tried are Wrath and again, Lex Talionis, but again no reaction to either.

Hmmmm - it's a mystery to me so far.

How about new oils vs old?

I have a couple of imps of Seraglio that I can wear with no problems, but when I recently got my 5ml from the Lab and slathered some on all the usual places - neck, wrists, crooks of elbows, back of the knees, etc - all went bright red and burn burn burny. This lasted about 10 minues, and although I smelled good, I've been hesitant to try it again.

I've got plenty of food sensitivities, although no allergies to anything besides foods from the Deadly Nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, tobacco, all peppers save peppercorns.

Anyway, is this a common occurence, or just me?

Oro

Has anybody had any adverse reactions to Chaste Moon? it's the first bottle i ever received- in a swap from someone who said she loved it but was allergic. well, i've used it several times now on my wrist, and the last two times, i got red bumps and itchiness. i've never had that happen with all the other BPAL scents i've tried. both times, i was layering chaste moon with something else- once, O, and this time, Dana O' Shee, in attempts to make Chaste Moon a little sweeter. Could layering cause excess irritation? i'll have to try Chaste Moon on its own to make sure it's the culprit, but right now i'm pretty sad. it's a scent that i love in combination with Dana - Dana is normally just too almondy for me and Chaste Moon is too powdery, but together i got milk and honey, reminiscent of Alice but wthout the overwhelming powder.

Any thoughts?

I just reviewed Chaste Moon and had no problems. Additionally I have never had an allergic reaction to any ot the oils but ofcourse I dont have any sensitivities that I know of. :P

I have a couple of imps of Seraglio that I can wear with no problems, but when I recently got my 5ml from the Lab and slathered some on all the usual places - neck, wrists, crooks of elbows, back of the knees, etc - all went bright red and burn burn burny.  This lasted about 10 minues, and although I smelled good, I've been hesitant to try it again.

Hmmmm. The gol-darndest thing happened to me yesterday. I have taken empty bottles of BPAL and filled them with warm water. I shower and before I get out of the tub I pour them on myself. I smell great and get every drop of goodness out of the bottle before consigning it to undies drawer.

So? Well, I drenched myself with my lovie Eclipse and wow! Burn! That never happened to me before. I looked in the mirror and saw red rivers on my skin where the diluted Eclipse had run down my shoulder. I was really shocked. I have no food allergies. Then it occurred to me, I used a Buf Puf on my skin in the shower, that made me very sensitive. After waiting a few minutes, I tried to apply Eclipse to the tops and undersides of my arms and no problem. :P FYI

Buff puff + cinnamon = yeowch :D

Also, your pores are open after a shower and you've probably stripped the protective mantle off your skin with your soap/cleanser. Be careful olympia301! :P

ugh, now i think Perversion is breaking me out. So Chaste Moon and Perversion both give me itchy little red bumps.. i actually like them both too so this is bad! the bumps showed up like 10 hours after applying Perversion though, so maybe I scratched it or something to irritate.. also worked out right before the bumps showed up. I usually wear Dorian to running, and it's never caused bumps before. i wish i knew what it is with Chaste Moon and Perversion.. because i have a feeling i'll keep wearing them anyways. :P

i hate feeling like this is the only topic i'm really contributing to, but i'm new and still trying a bunch of BPAL.. and why is it that all my recent tries are breaking me out horribly? i looooved Chimera, the dry down is perfect on me, it's a sweet O-ish scent that doesn't cross over into the "too much sex" part that O does on me. i love it, i love it. First time i put it on, no problem. 2nd time, i notice bumps. 3rd time, entire area breaks out into little, ichy bumps that i've had to douse with hydrocortisone and still hurt and look red and irritated a day later.

i bought a bottle of Perversion, knowing that it sort of broke me out the last time.. and now i know, from experience with Chimera, that it's not really possible to continue using something that i'm allergic to. i'm hoping the perversion (which i only tried once) was a fluke, and i'l lbe able to use it, cuz i love it.

but Chaste Moon, Perversion, Chimera.. all break me out, itchy, icky, painful. i use dorian/alice/dragon's milk a lot with no problem. but i want to use all the ones i like!! i just wish there was something i could do. how to live without Chimera after i've found it once.. it's the drydown when the cinnamon is almost gone that i love, so i don't know if a scent locket would be the best thing.

How many of you are discouraged/upset at the allergies you're experiencing since falling in love with BPAL? i know there are lots of lovely oils i can use without a problem, it's just that.. well.. i want to wear Perversion and Chimera!! =(

the only thing i can recommend, is that you try to dilute them with a carrier oil (jojoba, grapeseed, almond oil etc.) that helps me with certain oils that i am sensitive to,also, you can try making a perfume spray out of them.

Edited by carolsag

From the Roadhouse review thread:

The description makes it sound weedy, nasty; not a 'perfume' per se, but something to make you smell like you've been working all day and are going to go home to your thirteen kids and your pickup with the piss-smelling mattress in the back.

(Sorry, I live around hicks, and they only make me detest them more with each passing day.)

From your descriptions, though, it sounds like something I'd truly like to try!

My only concern, however, is that I'm allergic to a vast majority of the pollen-producing plant life out there. Dandelions I'm not sure of, but I know I'm allergic to hay, and someone mentioned that they could smell it in a note.

I'm not too worried about a skin reaction, but would anyone know I'd have an allergic reaction (stuffy nose, watery eyes, swelling throat, etc.) from smelling this stuff? Would plant/pollen residue in the perfume oil cause an allergic reaction?

:P Sorry to be so picky.

Edited by Shollin

I'm not too worried about a skin reaction, but would anyone know I'd have an allergic reaction (stuffy nose, watery eyes, swelling throat, etc.) from smelling this stuff? Would plant/pollen residue in the perfume oil cause an allergic reaction?

I'm allergic to pollen (my eyes tear up, my nose gets stuffy, I sneeze like crazy, all that good stuff) and I love Roadhouse. Never had a problem with it. :D

I'd imagine you'd be okay, but I'd say try a tiny dab first and see if that sets off your allergies before really giving it a serious try. :P

I just had a bad, bad burning reaction recently to Snake Oil. I know it's due to the fact that it was MASSIVELY hot in the apartment where I was getting ready and my pores were probably opened up trying to cool down, but I thought I'd say something. My skin is normally hardcore, so it took me very much by surprise.

From the Roadhouse review thread:

The description makes it sound weedy, nasty; not a 'perfume' per se, but something to make you smell like you've been working all day and are going to go home to your thirteen kids and your pickup with the piss-smelling mattress in the back.

(Sorry, I live around hicks, and they only make me detest them more with each passing day.)

From your descriptions, though, it sounds like something I'd truly like to try!

My only concern, however, is that I'm allergic to a vast majority of the pollen-producing plant life out there. Dandelions I'm not sure of, but I know I'm allergic to hay, and someone mentioned that they could smell it in a note.

:P Sorry to be so picky.

I have allergies to pretty much everything that grows, including weeds, grasses, trees, pollens...and I just tried Roadhouse and had no allergic reaction to it. Wasn't crazy about smelling like stale cigs and booze, but no sneezing or watery eyes or anything.

I tried Hecate for the first time today, and it caused a burning sensation and redness in the crooks of my arms right after I first applied it. Oddly, though, it was fine on my wrists, neck, and even my cleavage. The burning went away quite quickly, but it was no fun while it lasted. Kind of odd, since I don't see anyone else mentioning Hecate as a scent they reacted too. I wonder what component caused that. I've never had a problem with any other BPAL oil, though I haven't tried that many.

I tried Hecate for the first time today, and it caused a burning sensation and redness in the crooks of my arms right after I first applied it.  Oddly, though, it was fine on my wrists, neck, and even my cleavage.  The burning went away quite quickly, but it was no fun while it lasted.  Kind of odd, since I don't see anyone else mentioning Hecate as a scent they reacted too.  I wonder what component caused that.  I've never had a problem with any other BPAL oil, though I haven't tried that many.

Maybe there's cinnamon in it that isn't listed? That's the only thing I can think of. I'm allergic to almond so I've only really given Hecate a really superficial sniff (the most I could do without making myself sick) and it smelled a tiny bit cinnamon-ish.

That's really the only thing I can think of unless you're allergic to myrrh or nut oils. :P

To address a few points from the last page or so...

I definitely notice more overall sensitivity if I've just gotten out of the shower. Samhain, for example, is fine when I am thoroughly dry, but definitely ouchy if I put it on while my skin is still damp.

And -- while not specifically BPAL-related -- when I work out, I notice that my face will sting if I've recently applied any irritating products. (Like, when I was using Retin-A, my skin felt fine most of the time but hurt like hell when I sweated.) I imagine that sweating, since it opens up your pores, could lead to irritation, even if your perfume isn't fresh.

Finally, I have heard that inside your elbows is actually very thin skin -- it doesn't SEEM like a place that would be sensitive, but apparently it is.

All that said, the only "random" oil I've had a reaction to, apparently for none of the above reasons, was Cordelia. I have no idea what could have caused that.

After 10 months of wearing BPAL with no problems at all (other than the skin-sloughing effects of Inferno that everyone experiences at least once :P ), I had my first true allergic reaction last week... I could see the exact pattern of where I had rolled the roller bottle on my arms, painted in pink and filled in with cute little hives everywhere. And the culprit? Jailbait, of all things. It doesn't seem to have anything spicy or itch inducing in it to my nose... but of course, I would react to something with no notes listed.

A quick wash-off with soap and water and a little OTC cortisone cream and there was no trace of the ugly scene within about 45 minutes.

I figure I'll do a spot test in a month or so - not that I'm so enraptured with Jailbait that I can't face life without it, but I have developed hives a few times in adulthood when I have been under stress. (And this was the day that my brother, his wife and 3 kids were coming into town for a few days... having called the night before to move their arrival up a day. Jeff and I were cleaning, organizing and shopping like mad people so we'd be ready for them at 6 pm Thursday instead of noon on Friday. Ah, family love. :D ) I just don't want to prematurely panic that there's some mystery component I'm allergic to (or bother the Lab trying to figure out what it might be), if I was just especially sensitive at the time.

I have REALLY bad allergies of all kinds, mostly hay fever, but sometimes contact dermatitis, too. Part of the reason I looked into BPAL was because I am often allergic to whatever commercial perfumes use for bases, but have seldom had skin reactions to oils and I know, more or less, what to avoid for the hayfever.

I can usually smell an oil and know if it is going to cause me problems, so the imps work well for me to test with and all.

I had a bad "hay fever" type reaction to Chiroptera, which is too bad because I really liked it, but I KNOW flowers are a problem for me. That is why I stick to lots of resins and musk/amber type scents (I know resins are from plants, but they don't seem to bother me.)

One thing I have found is that if something is going to bother my skin, it will be worse 1. if I am stressed, 2. on my neck/cleavage. I have found that Lush's Phresh Pharmacy soap (or however it is spelled) is wonderful for break outs from allergies (I think it is pink because it has calamine in it) and Benadryl works wonders, too.

I know to avoid things with strawberries and strawberry oil, be careful of tomatoes, etc, all my bugaboos. Narrowing down what caused a reaction is very difficult, so for me, I just do a sort of sniff and wave, if I am going to react with a hay fever attack, most of the time, that is enough to let me know. As for contact type rashes, I do a sort of patch test, by putting a little on the inside of my wrist and waiting, then the inside of my arm, before slathering. And, yes, I am a slatherer, due to dry skin soaking everything up.