Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

Anything smoky I'm super-allergic to, and this includes vevetier and many incense blends (basically if it smells at all like the incense is being burned) Hello lungs filling up. (The ones that have had this effect on me most strongly are Cathedral and Kathmandu in case anyone else is sensitive to smoke.) Also Apple scents, but since I'm allergic to apples this makes sense.

Also Robin Goodfellow, nose started running from the ragweed, which is too bad, since I <3 <3 <3 the way Robin Goodfellow smells.

Moss + Musk = <3

(the smoke thing is why I'm considering making a non-smoke tobacco and incense recommendation thread, because I do like tobacco leaves/flowers and myrrh and frankincense, and I know non smoky blends are out there)

Edited by Cactus

Urgh, deep irritation: I appear to have mild allergic reactions to both A Wonderful Light and single-note black amber. I am trying to work out if this is an incense-y thing (I hope not...) and whether actually taking my inhalers properly will enable me to wear them anyway - because I really like them... a note in passing, which I shall come back to in a little while, hopefully!

I once wore a BPAL with violet in it and after a few minutes I started developing a migraine. Now I have an advance warning system in my brain; just opening a vial or bottle of a scent containing violet is like a spike to the head, but at least that pain doesn't linger as long as I get the violet scent away from me. I don't know if violet leaf or Parma violet will do the same but I'm afraid to find out.

I posted a few years ago about how Chimera sensitized my skin so much that I was unable to wear any BPALs.. this led to taking a long, long break from BPAL. I'm back and have happily re-obsessed myself. Then I made the mistake of applying Love Me to the top of my wrist. I think I applied on 5/3.. I still have blister like skin lesions on the area I applied, which I thought were going away but they aren't yet. and this is after I gently washed off the Love Me within five minutes after noticing the area was tingling. Sigh. I know, I know I have to be careful with cinnamon in blends, which sucks, as I LOVED Chimera. But at least let my skin be okay so I can wear my pretty Snake Charmers and Our Lady of Pains. :( I love BPAL. At least I've found out how awesome BPTP items are (the atmo sprays.. and I have hair gloss on order) so now I have some alternatives, but I would so dearly love to be able to wear BPAL. Without having to dilute in a carrier oil every single BPAL that I own. Which is too much work for my lazy self. :( Sorry, had to vent. which I've done on multiple threads already, I know! I'll have to try an anti-histamine.

I've given up on cinnamon blends, especially after I started to associate the smell itself with the itching, burning sensation - even sniffing it in the bottle makes me uncomfortable :P

The only one I persist with is Chimera, since the cinnamon is light (despite the description calling it "fiery", haha) and well-blended with creamy honeysuckle and myrrh, but I still don't risk it on skin - I wear it in my hair (apply to back of wrist; brush wrist through hair; wash wrist). It smells gorgeous in hair: I get wafts of it all day long, and it lasts at least 24 hours (basically until I shower).

I've given up on cinnamon blends, especially after I started to associate the smell itself with the itching, burning sensation - even sniffing it in the bottle makes me uncomfortable :P

The only one I persist with is Chimera, since the cinnamon is light (despite the description calling it "fiery", haha) and well-blended with creamy honeysuckle and myrrh, but I still don't risk it on skin - I wear it in my hair (apply to back of wrist; brush wrist through hair; wash wrist). It smells gorgeous in hair: I get wafts of it all day long, and it lasts at least 24 hours (basically until I shower).

Yep, good idea. With Chimera I didn't get a reaction until the 3rd straight day of applying it. But let's say that after that my skin was f'ed. I couldn't use anything, even the stuff I'd used without a problem before, like snake charmer, my very favorite BPAL, without breaking out in welts. this lasted for a long time and I finally gave up and quit BPAL for years. :/

Yep, good idea. With Chimera I didn't get a reaction until the 3rd straight day of applying it. But let's say that after that my skin was f'ed. I couldn't use anything, even the stuff I'd used without a problem before, like snake charmer, my very favorite BPAL, without breaking out in welts. this lasted for a long time and I finally gave up and quit BPAL for years. :/

Have you thought of getting a scent locket? It's on my to buy list so I can wear the cinnamon things without burning vast swathes of flesh.

I really wanted to love Snake Oil, but it was really "meh" on me - and then I broke out in hives. Luckily they subsided after I scrubbed my wrist, but damnit, I had hoped some aging would make Snake Oil awesome on me, but with a reaction like that, I have to avoid all the amazing perfumes that are based on Snake Oil, too.

I know it wasn't the vanilla, since I frequently wear other scents with vanilla, but the "Indonesian oils" part of the description kinda leaves it open to just what the heck I was reacting so badly to...

Have you thought of getting a scent locket? It's on my to buy list so I can wear the cinnamon things without burning vast swathes of flesh.

Also on my to buy list for some day. I need to find the right one. I'm also severely allergic to most jewelry, so I'm afraid I may just trade one allergy for another. :( I've also wondered how the scent locket changes scents. With Chimera, for example, the wet stage is very fiery and spicy but it dries down to the most amazing soft cinnamon scent on my skin. I wouldn't want the wet stage to go on forever in a locket..

Does anyone know if the Lab's amaretto note has almond in it? I know not all brands of amaretto liquor are made with almonds, so I was wondering if blends with amaretto notes might also be almond-free?

Edit to Seajewel: Just wanted to chime in that I'm allergic to most jewelry too (exceptions so far are platinum, titanium, and sterling silver), and I've had zero issues with my clocket (which I bought about three years ago). :D

Edited by terrenity

Edit to Seajewel: Just wanted to chime in that I'm allergic to most jewelry too (exceptions so far are platinum, titanium, and sterling silver), and I've had zero issues with my clocket (which I bought about three years ago). :D

Thanks!! I think I will try a scent locket if one that I love becomes available. I love Snow Glass Apples but that may never come back.. but we'll see what Puddin' has in store!

I was wondering if anyone knew if the pomegranate note originates from actual pomegranates? I'm allergic so I worry about skin contact from the note. I want to try Mme Moriarty so bad!

I was wondering if anyone knew if the pomegranate note originates from actual pomegranates? I'm allergic so I worry about skin contact from the note. I want to try Mme Moriarty so bad!

I don't think they ever answer this type of question, unfortunately. My guess would be no, since as far as I can tell from some cursory Googling, there is no extract of pomegranate that smells like pomegranate for use in perfumery (pomegranate seed oil is faintly-scented and used as a carrier oil or antioxidant).

So the pomegranate in Mme Moriarty is probably an accord, but there's no way to tell for sure. You're the best judge of whether it's worth the risk. If I had a severe allergy I wouldn't go near it, but if I had an allergy that was not anaphylactic or otherwise life-threatening, I'd get a decant and risk it. (Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and this isn't medical advice :P)

I don't think they ever answer this type of question, unfortunately. My guess would be no, since as far as I can tell from some cursory Googling, there is no extract of pomegranate that smells like pomegranate for use in perfumery (pomegranate seed oil is faintly-scented and used as a carrier oil or antioxidant).

So the pomegranate in Mme Moriarty is probably an accord, but there's no way to tell for sure. You're the best judge of whether it's worth the risk. If I had a severe allergy I wouldn't go near it, but if I had an allergy that was not anaphylactic or otherwise life-threatening, I'd get a decant and risk it. (Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and this isn't medical advice :P)

Right, time to source a decant and try not to die. 8D

This months' Single Note offering of Sumatran Red Patchouli makes me sad, because it sounds so gorgeous and I don't dare wear it.

One of my earliest orders was Depraved (black patchouli with apricot), and although I was disappointed that I got no apricot, I liked the smell of patch enough to anoint my pajama sleeves so I could smell it at bedtime. Well, my inner elbows turned red and itchy for nearly a week. So I put Depraved on one pajama leg... and the next day a spot on my kneecap itched.

Some months later I tested and loved a frimp of Intrigue (black palm, cocoa, fig, and "shadowy wooded notes"). At Will Call this year I bought a bottle, slathered it bedtime, and damn! The rash showed up the next day and for a week my arms were itchy and photosensitive. Out came the tube of diphenhydramine creme, and Intrigue was relegated to an atomizer for room spray.

There is one other BPAL oil that produced a delayed reaction, this time on my torso, and that was No. 93 Engine (Balm of Gilead, benzoin, frankincense, balsam of peru, beeswax, saffron, galbanum, calamus, hyssop, mastic, lemon balm, and white sage). Thankfully the rash was not severe, but I can't blame patch for that one. Interestingly, I applied Bliss (pure milk chocolate) at the same time alongside No. 93, in the same quantity, and got no reaction at all. And although my much-loved Tezcatlipoca (cocoa, patchouli, leather armor, incense, and flowers) contains patchouli, and I have a bottle of it so I can slather, it's never hurt me.

The other skin reaction I get from BPAL is different. It shows up almost immediately, within five minutes of application, and turns the affected area bright red and itchy. If I wash off immediately and apply anti-itch creme, the skin goes back to normal within an hour. I got this one from Plunder (tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg) the second time I wore it, and strangely enough also from Jailbait ("Sticky pink bubblegum and the thick, sweet scent of orange and cherry lollipops smeared over a breath of heady womanly perfume.") For the record I blind tested Jailbait and thought there was cinnamon in it.

tl;dr: Type One - week long rash, prime suspect Patchouli. Type Two - rapid red skin, prime suspects Cassia and Cinnamon.

Oh goodness, I never experienced a rash from any oils I've tried yet, and I've got sensitive skin; but then again, I also haven't tried any cinnamon blends yet.

I'm posting here because I think I'm sensitive to "smoke" within the labs blends. Anything that has a "smoke" note contained within is often headache inducing :cry2:

I decided to try The Lights of Mens Lives. Ahh, beeswaxy goodness, followed by ... smoke. Insert headache here. (Description of LOML: The wax and smoke of millions upon millions of candles illuminating the walls of Death’s shadowy cave: some tall, straight, and strong, blazing with the fire of life, others dim and guttering.) I don't know if aging my imp will help reduce the smokiness and increase the beeswax, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Perversion, the same thing; although, this depends on the day and if I'm amping the smoke note to high heaven (Description of Perversion: Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.)

I try and stay away from the smoke note, but many times a blend calls my name and I'll have to order an imp of it to see if it'll cause an issue.

. . .

The other skin reaction I get from BPAL is different. It shows up almost immediately, within five minutes of application, and turns the affected area bright red and itchy. If I wash off immediately and apply anti-itch creme, the skin goes back to normal within an hour. I got this one from Plunder (tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg) the second time I wore it, and strangely enough also from Jailbait ("Sticky pink bubblegum and the thick, sweet scent of orange and cherry lollipops smeared over a breath of heady womanly perfume.") For the record I blind tested Jailbait and thought there was cinnamon in it.

. . .

That's the exact reaction I get from cinnamon & cassia. I've even reacted to the same two perfumes! I don't avoid those notes but I do use caution if I'm planning to test or wear a scent with one or both. Always wait as long as possible after showering, apply some unscented lotion to make a bit of a barrier and an odd one I've learned: don't wear those notes in warmer weather or when I'm doing something that might make me too warm. I had Jailbait on one day and got a call that my out-of-town guests were headed in a day early. In my cleaning and organizing frenzy I started getting red and itchy everywhere I'd dabbed Jailbait!

Oh, and the same routine works for me too - wash it off and apply some hydrocortisone cream. Back to normal in a jiffy.

I'm quite confused.

I was so excited to receive my first order (two imp packs) of BPAL scents. I had 12 scents I bought and received 4 frimps as well. I included in my first order what I could surmise were some of the most popular scents, like Morocco, Dorian, Lyonesse, Snake Oil... and they among the others did not work on me at all. All seemed to have some funky note in it that just did not smell good on me, and it was not at all what I imagined my first experience with BPAL to be like. I was expected to be transported by scent (which I love), but have now been wondering there is something wrong with my skin/nose? I am so bummed! I have never experienced this with regular perfumes before. (I have also never used perfume oils before)

Not only do I feel like I lost a bit of money there, I feel frustrated that not even one worked out, and on top of that some even made me quite sick feeling/nauseous (Snake Oil in particular). The only scent that really did not do this to me, and I enjoyed very much, is The Rose, which is essentially a single note. I love it. I also had Obatala, and I found that to be mostly tolerable and mild. I didn't put much on, though... so, I'm not entirely sure about it.

I also purchased (on a whim because I adore all things autumnal) Samhain 2008 on Ebay and initially I really like it, after a few hours it also became unbearable to my nose, and I couldn't tolerate it anymore. Actually, I'm wearing it right now and my stomach has been upset for a few hours.

I'm wondering, perhaps, if it is the foody/sweet notes or something that are making me feel sick? It seems like most of the scents I picked had a vanilla or food-y note somewhere.

Perusing some reviews, it seems fairly common for people to say that certain scents, or just specific notes, make you feel nauseous or just bother you/ are too cloying. How common is that? Are there some people out there who have a lot of difficulty finding something that smells good to them?

It seems there is a stark polarity in reception with many oils. Some people report their favorite oils being even more than perfume, their experiences are so evocative... while others can say about the same thing that it is vile to them. I'm just wondering what to do, because at this point I feel like I just flushed almost 70 bucks down the toilet!!

This is where imp swapping and selling comes in really handy. I am VERY fragrant sensitive - and a good number of scents do give me headaches (mostly florals like gardenia, magnolia, etc.). A lot of it is trial and error, but use the forum swap and sale threads to get rid of what does not work for you, and find things that might!

~ missy ~

this may be a TMI thing, but a lot of women have noted that they are particularly sensitive either around their period or while ovulating. if you are in or near either one of those cycles, that may be messing with your nose.

also, spiralmissy is correct. if you really can't stand ANY of the scents you got, you should be able to easily swap or sell them on the forums here.

i've got my fingers crossed for you!

edited to add: i LOVE the smell of plum, but in large quantities it gives me a horrible migraine-y headache, complete with nausea. i can wear it, but only in tiny, tiny amounts. it could absolutely be that there is a note in common with all those scents that's causing a reaction for you. almost all of the blends you mentioned have vanilla and/or musk in them...so...hmmm!!! maybe vanillas and musks are a problem for you!

Edited by joyfulgirl

For things that you like initially but then can't stand after a couple of hours, you might want to consider getting a scent locket rather than actually wearing the scent directly on your skin. That will give you much more of the initial scent and it won't be affected by skin chemistry.

The other thing I thought of was wondering if you're putting too much on - I thought this because although I love Snake Oil, if I put too much on or sniff it up close when it's fresh then I feel quite nauseous, whereas if I apply it very lightly I don't get that problem. Some scents I slather on, but not until they've had a decent testing.

Just out of curiosity, BPAL aside, what sorts of scents do you typically wear and like? do you go for more light ariy florals, aquatics, musks,?

There is always a big temptation, when your new to BPAL to order the "most popular" scents...which makes sense, as they are popular for a reason! BUT...every single one of those scents will not work on someone. It all comes down to skin chemistry, and what notes your skin likes best - just because they are popular and well liked by many, they are just not right for you. The wonderful thing about BPAL, is that there IS a scent(s) for everyone! you just have to find it! as you buy/try imps, you should create a swap post in the swap section - anything that doesn't work out for you, list it. Then start browsing other people's swaps posts in the swap section to see if they have any imps they may want to swap with you for.

I'd be interested to see what the list of all of the imps you ordered, and what the frimps were - I may be able to suggest some that might work!

Edited by sharkdiver

It may be that the vanilla in combination with certain other notes is causing your reaction? I have a similar thing; mine is with patchouli or other herbal notes, which smell medicinal and gross to me, and in combination with sweet vanillas they become nearly nausea-inducing. It's the combination of 'sickly sweet' and 'medicinal/funky' that gets me. I experience this with Snake Oil definitely (sweet vanilla and patchouli is the culprit there), and IIRC Samhain definitely has the patch and herbal thing going on, though I don't know about sweet notes.

Since you say Red Rose and possibly Obatala worked for you, you might try and see what your experiences are with ruling out vanilla/foody notes for the moment and trying more floral and aquatic blends, maybe with resins/incense, non-sweet fruits/nuts*, and possibly woods and paler musks?

*Obatala has coconut and milk but in a more 'fresh' way than foody, and definitely not sweet.

Off the top of my head, some GCs that might be worth trying (or at least, they're light-years away from the sickly-gross thing for me) if you've not already:

Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat - very fresh juicy melon

Aizen-Myoo - fresh citrus and florals with a hint of tea

Forbidden Fruit - flowers and fresh fruit

Generally speaking, though, you certainly aren't alone, and skin and nose chemistry can be simultaneously the bane of your life and the best thing ever, when you find a note that does amazing things on you. The sale and swap sections here are excellent places to pick up cheap lots of imps, or exchange stuff you know you don't like for better options. :)

Would you be willing to take the time to write down all of the scents you tried? I'd love to see if I can help make some recommendations based on my years of perfume obsession/collecting. Hugs! All is not lost, there is a huge market for BPAL and your money is not down the drain!

I also suggest swapping, and not buying bottles right away. I found what I wanted to wear based on fairytales or movies I like, is vastly different then what my skin agrees with.

BPAL has a lot of different rose scents you could try, if the rose worked. Not all of them come out being super floral either. For example:

Persephone: Pomegranate and rose

Jezebel: honey, roses, orange blossom and sandalwood

Rapture: Moroccan rose, Sumatran rose, mandarin, Egyptian myrrh, night-blooming jasmine, bergamot and neroli thrust into Arabian musk.

La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente: myrtle and dry, sweet melilot with wild rose, pomegranate juice and peach blossom against a background of deep aquatic notes and a twirl of melancholy autumn breezes.

Croquet: Pink lime, pink grapefruit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli, bergamot, and ornery hedgehog musk. (citrusy and pink)

London: Venerable Victorian Tea Rose… twisted, blackened and emboldened with wickedness. (this rose has no green note unlike The Rose)