Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

I had a very similar reaction with some of the rose based oils like Catherine.

My suggestion is to yes, sorry, wash it off. Unfortunately, if you continue to use an oil that irritates your skin, you can become sensitized to the point that most anything irritates that same skin.

I couldn't wear Plunder at all. The cinnamon/black pepper set my ass on fire. Not that I used it on my ass. :lol:

When my skin was all bumpy and itchy from the Rose, I took several days off from wearing any scented anything in that area. I waited at least a few months before I tried another rose scent. I had actually forgotten about the sensitivity issue. :blush: Surprisingly enough I didn't have the same reaction later.

That said, I think that if cinnamon bothers you, it will probably always bother you. You ~can~ wear it on your clothing (just not underwear, haha), in your hair, or in a scent locket or other scentable body adornment that doesn't touch your actual skin. I'm currently wanting a wood or bone hair stick that I can saturate with oil and wear in my hair and I actually really enjoy scenting my scarves and winter coats. As my body heat warms the fibers, the scent kind of rises up around me. Sigh. Nice.

If you must wear it on your skin, you might consider diluting it (maybe in a favorite unscented lotion or carrier oil) and/or putting it in places that don't get sweaty or have tender skin (back of hands, shoulders, kneecaps, feet). I've had lovely results with mixing oils with unscented lotion and slathering on arms, shoulders, and legs. I actually think it made the scent last much much longer, but with more subtle throw.

Last bit of advice that i learned the hard way - showering and sweating opens your pores and allows the oils greater access to irritate if they are so inclined. Also, I'm not quite sure how to word this, so forgive if it rambles... When I get out of the shower, I dry off briskly with a rough towel to exfoliate. This exposes fresh, bright & shiny, virgin-type skin. Freshly exfoliates skin is much more likely to become irritated. So try not to put irritating oils on tender, freshly exfoliated skin.

I ~so~ hope you find a way to wear it!!

Thank You SO much! I was so upset I wasn't thinking straight. Glad you found me before I ruined my skin with my mule-like stubborness. Adding oil to the natural compositon, bone then worn in hair is BRILL!

My suggestion is to yes, sorry, wash it off. Unfortunately, if you continue to use an oil that irritates your skin, you can become sensitized to the point that most anything irritates that same skin.

I couldn't wear Plunder at all. The cinnamon/black pepper set my ass on fire. Not that I used it on my ass. :lol:

When my skin was all bumpy and itchy from the Rose, I took several days off from wearing any scented anything in that area. I waited at least a few months before I tried another rose scent. I had actually forgotten about the sensitivity issue. :blush: Surprisingly enough I didn't have the same reaction later.

That said, I think that if cinnamon bothers you, it will probably always bother you. You ~can~ wear it on your clothing (just not underwear, haha), in your hair, or in a scent locket or other scentable body adornment that doesn't touch your actual skin. I'm currently wanting a wood or bone hair stick that I can saturate with oil and wear in my hair and I actually really enjoy scenting my scarves and winter coats. As my body heat warms the fibers, the scent kind of rises up around me. Sigh. Nice.

If you must wear it on your skin, you might consider diluting it (maybe in a favorite unscented lotion or carrier oil) and/or putting it in places that don't get sweaty or have tender skin (back of hands, shoulders, kneecaps, feet). I've had lovely results with mixing oils with unscented lotion and slathering on arms, shoulders, and legs. I actually think it made the scent last much much longer, but with more subtle throw.

Last bit of advice that i learned the hard way - showering and sweating opens your pores and allows the oils greater access to irritate if they are so inclined. Also, I'm not quite sure how to word this, so forgive if it rambles... When I get out of the shower, I dry off briskly with a rough towel to exfoliate. This exposes fresh, bright & shiny, virgin-type skin. Freshly exfoliates skin is much more likely to become irritated. So try not to put irritating oils on tender, freshly exfoliated skin.

Edited by Fiam

Thank You for your help! Much appreciated!

Fiam, I understand completely. Anything with cinnamon in it makes my skin react the exact same way. There was an oil released last year, Autumn Cider, that I fell head over heels for, but the cinnamon in it burns my skin. I love it so much that it prompted me to order a scent locket from the Trading Post. I can wear it with abandon now, in my scent locket. Totally worth the investment!

Last time I wore inferno my skin went red/welty/firey. I don't love it enough to buy a scent locket just for it, but lesson learned.

I was wondering what it was in Bengal that set my skin itchy for a while (no welts, thankfully), and then realized when I read the scent note list that it was the cinnamon *phew* It's also worn off after a little bit, so no more itchy skin.

I have had some nasal allergy reactions to some of the amber/sandalwood scents, which is unusual for me, BUT it's also Cedar Fever season in Austin (really, Austin *does* have 4 seasons: Oak, Mold, Cedar, and Ragweed). I do know I have to be careful with anything that has lavender oil in it; the last time I tried something with Lavender oil, it was a BBW aromatherapy blend, their 'Breathe' series: Breathe Sleep (lavender and vanilla). I put some cream on my chest & shoulders, and then broke out in welts (not hives, WELTS). Even after washing it off in the shower, my skin felt like it was on fire. That was enough for me to NOT take a chance with lavender again.

I absolutely love Lemon Scented Sticky Bat, but when I wore it this past weekend, something about it gave me an intense migraine (possibly the icy note?). A stabbing headache and the beautiful lemon turned into a nauseating furniture polish...I had to scrub it off.

I'm really, really hoping it was just the changing weather that actually triggered the reaction and the scent was just an unfortunate co-player...it's one of my favorites and has never done this to me before. :huh?:

One technique I've found to deal with my allergy issues:

If I'm testing a new oil for the first time - and I'm not 100% sure that it won't give me a reaction - I test it on the back or side of my hand. So if it goes bad I can wash it off right away and then keep washing it off as I wash my hands during the rest of the day. The oil gets removed pretty quickly. :)

Edited by Cactus

What BPAL are you allergic too?

Did you know which notes/accord that gives you problems?

I am curious, so far my skin has freaked out on two scents: All Night Long and Defututa.

I really liked how All Night Long smelled and it was on my wishlist for a long time, I am sad. I did pass it on to a friend who hadn't heard of BPAL before in hopes that it will convert her!

Hellfire. I love the way that it smells on me, but not the blisters it leaves.

Dorian. I don't really like the way that it smells on me and it makes me sneeze.

I don't know if it's an allergy, but the lab's snow notes are almost always instant headache triggers for me.

Aziraphael makes me sneeze like nothing else, and Bengal leaves me wanting to tear my skin off where I've applied it :(

Some of the sandalwood scents make my eyes water a little, but it's hit & miss with that.

Blends with banana - which I've needed to wear gloves and a mask while decanting. But I'm pretty sensitive to real bananas, too.

Florals trigger migraines.

Lyonesse burns my skin in its pure form, which is SAD because I love the scent :cry:

However, I've found that dilution - specifically, making it into a solid perfume - has worked wonders. No more burning!

When I first got into bpal I wore Cthulhu and was fine but then I tried The Deep Ones, I broke out in hives for more than 4 months. Unfortunately once my skin reacts once to something I can never wear anything of that type again. So now I can't wear any bpal on my skin at all with out it blistering for months. Though that's no big deal for me, I just carefully put it on my clothes instead. I also don't have to worry about skin chemistry ruining a scent.

Some scents with sandalwood (including those that do not have sandalwood as a note but some attar which still means there is sandalwood) give me an itchy skin where it was applied. The itch lasts for five days. With some scents it's a mild itch that may not appear until the next morning, some give me a horrible itch right away.

The worst itches I got from scents that had neither sandalwood nor an attar in the description. One was The Book (and some other book scents gave me milder itches) and another one was Jolasveinar.

I am sorry about the book note scents, because I liked those. And I am more sorry about some of the sandalwood scents because I very much like sandalwood. But there are also scents with sandalwood that do not give me an itch. Someone told me it is not the sandalwood itself that gives an itch, but the solvent that is used to extract the essential oil from the wood. So apparently it depends on the solvent used whether the sandalwood gives me an itch or not.

Most of the planetary Phoenixes made my eyes sting and nose run. Victorian Garden gave me a similar reaction (runny nose and sneezing) the first time I wore it, but fortunately I developed a tolerance or something like that.

:cry2: Reaction to The Jersey Devil. The wrist I applied it on heavily is now red, itchy and covered in white blisters. Sad, this is one of my favorites.

Let's see...white florals are verboten. They kill me...I wore Bayou yesterday and had a migraine the entire time it was on me. And the scent turned blergh as well. House of Night did a similar thing, but not as intensely. I liked Eclipse, but it made a nasty sore red mark on my skin.

*is sensitive*

*isn't very happy about it sometimes*

Then there are scents my skin eats alive, like White Rabbit, The Lion, Coyote, Dorian...it seems that musk and tea type notes just go bye-bye on me and I have no idea what any of this means, lol :rolleyes: except there are some things, like rose, frankincense, sandalwood, patchouli, that go really really really well with my skin, and everything else is either meh or sudden death.

Some scents with sandalwood (including those that do not have sandalwood as a note but some attar which still means there is sandalwood) give me an itchy skin where it was applied. The itch lasts for five days. With some scents it's a mild itch that may not appear until the next morning, some give me a horrible itch right away.

The worst itches I got from scents that had neither sandalwood nor an attar in the description. One was The Book (and some other book scents gave me milder itches) and another one was Jolasveinar.

I am sorry about the book note scents, because I liked those. And I am more sorry about some of the sandalwood scents because I very much like sandalwood. But there are also scents with sandalwood that do not give me an itch. Someone told me it is not the sandalwood itself that gives an itch, but the solvent that is used to extract the essential oil from the wood. So apparently it depends on the solvent used whether the sandalwood gives me an itch or not.

Isn't the sandalwood actually an accord, because the wood is endangered? So I don't think you'd be reacting to the solvent.

Weirdly enough, I get awful welts from an old imp of Fire of Love but nothing from the new, lilacier blend. Unfortunately I really don't appreciate the new one enough to wear it.