Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

So... maybe I asked this upthread, maybe not. I've tended to avoid certain perfumes because the true resin/extract are contact sensitizers, and as a result don't find myself gravitating towards blends like, say, Kubla Khan, since they have balsam of peru listed as an ingredient. Anyone have any experience at all with BPAL contact sensitizing (i.e. over repeated application, more and more blistering?) I have a wheal reaction to cinnamon so a few blends are out but it appears to be a purely isomorphic response.

What gets to me most is carrot seed. First showed up on me with L'Ecole des Filles. I had tested it on the inside of my wrist, half an hour later I had blisters and itched like mad. Took a week of cortizone cream for it to go away. It was easy to spot the offender because I had had everything else in that one except the carrot seed without any problems. It was confirmed when I tried Gathering Wild Mushrooms. I didn't spot the carrot seed in the list until after I had the reaction. Ick.

The only other thing I react to is Orris. It makes me sneeze. Alot. Unfortunately, there's this lady in my office that likes to wear Chantilly, which is loaded with the stuff. I've asked her not to wear it it because I'm allergic but she keeps on wearing it. I'd be happy to open my store of BPAL to her so she can find something else she likes because otherwise she's a very nice lady and I like her... but she's a bit of a bitch about it. Says she wouldn't wear anything "concocted by someone so steeped in the word of Satan". First I knew that she was a thumper. Oh well.

What gets to me most is carrot seed. First showed up on me with L'Ecole des Filles. I had tested it on the inside of my wrist, half an hour later I had blisters and itched like mad. Took a week of cortizone cream for it to go away. It was easy to spot the offender because I had had everything else in that one except the carrot seed without any problems. It was confirmed when I tried Gathering Wild Mushrooms. I didn't spot the carrot seed in the list until after I had the reaction. Ick.

The only other thing I react to is Orris. It makes me sneeze. Alot. Unfortunately, there's this lady in my office that likes to wear Chantilly, which is loaded with the stuff. I've asked her not to wear it it because I'm allergic but she keeps on wearing it. I'd be happy to open my store of BPAL to her so she can find something else she likes because otherwise she's a very nice lady and I like her... but she's a bit of a bitch about it. Says she wouldn't wear anything "concocted by someone so steeped in the word of Satan". First I knew that she was a thumper. Oh well.

As far as I'm concerned orris is from Satan, not the lab. ;) I am sorry your office mate is a tool.

Steeped in the world of Satan? Seriously. Wow.

Occasionally I get irritated spots that are almost blistery, but this goes away quickly if I use my Eucerin Calming Creme. I also associate mine with too frequent (hello OCD anyone?) bathing. Some Cinnamon makes me go red (Chimera, thankfully not Playful Wooden Mallets.) but that is about it.

I haven't finished reading through, but I personally have the worst reaction to patchouli. I used to work at a renaissance festival, so the smell bugs me in the first place, but I have a terribly itchy and headachey response - which sucks, because it's in SO MUCH STUFF, including a lot of scents I would otherwise buy (and in products like LUSH soaps.). :(

ETA: My husband is actually allergic (i.e. gets intense migraines) from about 90% of scents. It's hard to test them, too, because they cause immediate migraines for him if they don't work and he can't get away quickly enough, so "stiff tests" can be nightmarish. I was super excited to find I can wear Crow Moon and Two-Barred Flasher - made my day!

ETA Again:

Does anyone else use alcohol swabs in-between scent applications? When I want to try multiple scents, I always use an alcohol swab (or alcohol on a cotton ball) between the two, because the combination of some oils can cause a really bad reaction.

Edited by BrieCS

Has anyone had any reaction to Creature Feature? I've tried on loads of BPAL at this point, and that was the only scent to make my skin red and itchy immediately. Lol, my skin turned all angry in the exact shape of the oil that was applied.

I wrote the Lab a while ago an then also posted on FB but still haven't gotten a response about possible allergens in it. Actually, I'm a bit peeved, because I would've at least appreciated a return email even if they don't have any idea.

I haven't tried Creature Feature but, a good thing to keep in mine is all perfume has "possible allergens" in it, since everyone has different allergies to and different reactions to different things. You can also develop new allergies and lose old ones as you age, so it could even be something that didn't bother you before.

Also, did you possibly apply it when your skin was damp/ just out of a bath or shower etc.? Sometimes things that would normally not bother your skin suddenly cause a contact allergy if you try them when your skin is wet. (I try not to try anything new just after a shower etc. for precisely this reason.)

Hopefully they will get back to you with a list of what's in it/ if there's any rare oil in it that you wouldn't have encountered before so you'll have an idea of what to avoid!

I haven't tried Creature Feature but, a good thing to keep in mine is all perfume has "possible allergens" in it, since everyone has different allergies to and different reactions to different things. You can also develop new allergies and lose old ones as you age, so it could even be something that didn't bother you before.

Also, did you possibly apply it when your skin was damp/ just out of a bath or shower etc.? Sometimes things that would normally not bother your skin suddenly cause a contact allergy if you try them when your skin is wet. (I try not to try anything new just after a shower etc. for precisely this reason.)

Hopefully they will get back to you with a list of what's in it/ if there's any rare oil in it that you wouldn't have encountered before so you'll have an idea of what to avoid!

Thanks for responding!

I am not really allergic to much of anything, though I am sensitive to nickel. I applied it to dry skin, and it was interesting because my skin became all red and angry in the exact pattern of the oil lol.

I noticed on a different thread that there was another person who hasn't heard from the Lab in excess of a month. Hopefully they can get back to people in a more reasonable time frame soon.

Edited by Innocuousmold

Thanks for responding!

I am not really allergic to much of anything, though I am sensitive to nickel. I applied it to dry skin, and it was interesting because my skin became all red and angry in the exact pattern of the oil lol.

I noticed on a different thread that there was another person who hasn't heard from the Lab in excess of a month. Hopefully they can get back to people in a more reasonable time frame soon.

Chances are they just missed it, you can email the trading post and maybe get a quicker response, Puddin' is always quicksilver fast with replying. I am so sorry you were allergic!

Thanks for responding!

Chances are they just missed it, you can email the trading post and maybe get a quicker response, Puddin' is always quicksilver fast with replying. I am so sorry you were allergic!

I just wanted to say that they did get back to me and suggested that it may be coumarin that could've been it. I kinda don't think so because I just tried some Possets that list that as a note, but who knows. I feel much better having gotten a response about it. Yay, thanks Lab! :)

Basicly most heavy flowers trigger my migrain and WILF makes me sneeze for some reason o.O

I thought it was just coincidence but i tried it 3 times and every time was folowed my sneezing parts of my brains out :huh?:

So...here's an allergy question for y'all.

I have allergic reactions to cassia, or the varieties of spices most commonly sold in supermarkets as ground cinnamon.

It triggers asthma attacks, nausea, and a skin reaction, and happens whether I eat it, wear it, or inhale it.

However, much to my surprise, I do not have the same reaction to Ceylon Cinnamon, or true cinnamon.

I have done repeated skin-tests with samples from several species, and this result has been consistent.

Derivatives of cassia often turn up in sunscreens and alcohol-based perfumes, and I suspect this is why I often have bad allergic reactions to both.

When perfumers list "cinnamon" as a note in an oil-based perfume, is it a catch-all phrase for all species of cinnamon? Or does it usually refer to either true cinnamon (cinnamon vera/cinnamon zeylanicum) or to cassia (cinnamon aromaticaum, cinnamon burmanii)?

Unfortunately, I've found that a lot of food and cosmetic producers that list "ceylon cinnamon" as an ingredient only use the name for advertising, and just use cassia instead, because it is what people "expect cinnamon to taste and smell like", whereas real cinnamon is often described as tasting a bit like cedar shavings. It is also a heck of a lot cheaper.

Since perfumery involves a great deal of poetic license, and creating accords (a facsimile that captures our idea of a scent more than the real thing does), I have to wonder if most "cinnamon" notes are actually based on cassia. You know, since cassia tastes and smells more like cinnamon to most people than actual cinnamon does. :confused:

Has anyone had a bad reaction to Ulalume?

Starry white lilies lend an eerie brightness to the deep black wooded scents of cypress and oak, layered with a touch of crushed dried leaves and the faintest aquatic note.

I actually have a pretty extensive laundry list of allergies/asthma when it comes to trees etc., but it didn't occur to me that they might extend to perfumery! A whiff of this one closes my throat up pretty quick. And I have no idea which note's the culprit. :umm: Anyone else have a guess?

Starry white lilies lend an eerie brightness to the deep black wooded scents of cypress and oak, layered with a touch of crushed dried leaves and the faintest aquatic note.

I actually have a pretty extensive laundry list of allergies/asthma when it comes to trees etc., but it didn't occur to me that they might extend to perfumery! A whiff of this one closes my throat up pretty quick. And I have no idea which note's the culprit. :umm: Anyone else have a guess?

Have you tried blends with lilies before? I know that for me, even a whiff of a lily will make me break out in hives and close my throat up (I literally have to hold my breath in the flower section of grocery stores).

Have you tried blends with lilies before? I know that for me, even a whiff of a lily will make me break out in hives and close my throat up (I literally have to hold my breath in the flower section of grocery stores).

That's a good idea! I'm mildly allergic to all flowers, so I haven't noticed anything odd about real lilies in particular, but maybe the concentrated perfume oil is messing with me? I've noticed a couple other blends giving me the same sort of reaction, so I'll definitely see if they have lilies (or anything else) in common. Thanks!

That's a good idea! I'm mildly allergic to all flowers, so I haven't noticed anything odd about real lilies in particular, but maybe the concentrated perfume oil is messing with me? I've noticed a couple other blends giving me the same sort of reaction, so I'll definitely see if they have lilies (or anything else) in common. Thanks!

Concentration matters. there's things i'm fine with in dilute form that in BPaL oils are simply too much.

I loved Ulalume until it nearly triggered an asthma attack. I initially thought it was the dry leaves but I've worn other BPAL oils with that note and not had a problem. The same for lilies, the woods, and the aquatic note. So, as Gwydion pointed out, perhaps it's the concentration of a single note or several lumped together. Good luck! I hate not knowing what's triggered a reaction.

Need help! I just opened a new bottle. It's gorgeous, I can't believe anthing could smell so nice! Next, I applied to the usual points, wrists, and on biceps area (for me to sniff.) Then...it started to burn, but I ignored it thinking that it was becase I was just out of the shower and might have scrubbed too hard. THEN...I look down and I'm 3 shades of BRIGHT RED and starting to swell. I did NOT wash. No way. It smells too nice and I'm not giving up. I'm keeping my Mason En Pain D'epices and will try again to see if I develop the right anti-bodies.

So...am I nuts?

I had a very similar reaction with some of the rose based oils like Catherine.

My suggestion is to yes, sorry, wash it off. Unfortunately, if you continue to use an oil that irritates your skin, you can become sensitized to the point that most anything irritates that same skin.

I couldn't wear Plunder at all. The cinnamon/black pepper set my ass on fire. Not that I used it on my ass. :lol:

When my skin was all bumpy and itchy from the Rose, I took several days off from wearing any scented anything in that area. I waited at least a few months before I tried another rose scent. I had actually forgotten about the sensitivity issue. :blush: Surprisingly enough I didn't have the same reaction later.

That said, I think that if cinnamon bothers you, it will probably always bother you. You ~can~ wear it on your clothing (just not underwear, haha), in your hair, or in a scent locket or other scentable body adornment that doesn't touch your actual skin. I'm currently wanting a wood or bone hair stick that I can saturate with oil and wear in my hair and I actually really enjoy scenting my scarves and winter coats. As my body heat warms the fibers, the scent kind of rises up around me. Sigh. Nice.

If you must wear it on your skin, you might consider diluting it (maybe in a favorite unscented lotion or carrier oil) and/or putting it in places that don't get sweaty or have tender skin (back of hands, shoulders, kneecaps, feet). I've had lovely results with mixing oils with unscented lotion and slathering on arms, shoulders, and legs. I actually think it made the scent last much much longer, but with more subtle throw.

Last bit of advice that i learned the hard way - showering and sweating opens your pores and allows the oils greater access to irritate if they are so inclined. Also, I'm not quite sure how to word this, so forgive if it rambles... When I get out of the shower, I dry off briskly with a rough towel to exfoliate. This exposes fresh, bright & shiny, virgin-type skin. Freshly exfoliates skin is much more likely to become irritated. So try not to put irritating oils on tender, freshly exfoliated skin.

I ~so~ hope you find a way to wear it!!

Edited by ih8perfume

aww Fiam - what a bummer :(

ih8perfume has given you all the good advice already - I would second the suggestion of getting yourself a scent locket.. that way, you can still enjoy the lovely perfume of Mason En Pain D'epices without it having any contact with your skin.

I'd say it's a 99.99% certainty that it's cinnamon your skin doesn't like - although it's not a listed note in Mason, it's most likely part of the 'gingerbread' and/or 'spice' that are in the description. So you'll probably need to be careful with any BPALs that contain cinnamon - what a shame!

I would say though - give it one more try, just in case your skin was having a bad day (or, like you said - your freshly washed/skin was overly sensitive) - this time put some lotion or moisturiser on your skin first like an undercoat to the oil - but if you get the same burning, wash it off immediately and never do it again because that just doesn't sound like it was much fun for you at all.

Fiam, I understand completely. Anything with cinnamon in it makes my skin react the exact same way. There was an oil released last year, Autumn Cider, that I fell head over heels for, but the cinnamon in it burns my skin. I love it so much that it prompted me to order a scent locket from the Trading Post. I can wear it with abandon now, in my scent locket. Totally worth the investment!

Last bit of advice that i learned the hard way - showering and sweating opens your pores and allows the oils greater access to irritate if they are so inclined. Also, I'm not quite sure how to word this, so forgive if it rambles... When I get out of the shower, I dry off briskly with a rough towel to exfoliate. This exposes fresh, bright & shiny, virgin-type skin. Freshly exfoliates skin is much more likely to become irritated. So try not to put irritating oils on tender, freshly exfoliated skin.

Yes, this. Some of my "spicy" oils will give me a welt if I put them on right out of the shower, but not if I put them on at other times. I think sometimes a welt can be an allergic reaction but that with some oils like cinnamon and peppers, they can just burn whether you're allergic or not, much like the same compounds can burn your tongue when they're in food.

sometimes I develop a spot that becomes irritated because it's where I apply over and over again, but I have had this reaction, strangely and thankfully not from my great love, Playful Wooden Mallets, but Harlot and Sin I am looking at you.

This is what I recommend in addition to what has already been suggested. Put some A & D ointment on the spot before you put the oil on. Also try to avoid "thin skin" spots, go for the back of your hands, the tops of your arms, and like it's already been said, your hair.

Scent lockets are also your friends, I agree.

I love Maison!