Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

I have few to no skin problems with bpal oils, but you got me thinking. I haven't heard of anyone else getting acne from perfume... I wonder if it's actually an eczema. Eczema often looks like little fluid filled bumps, like many pimples, and is an allergic reaction. And allergic reactions to oils *are* pretty common.

Maybe it's time to test out scent lockets and/or putting oil in your hair where it won't cause visible bumps?

good luck.

I have few to no skin problems with bpal oils, but you got me thinking. I haven't heard of anyone else getting acne from perfume... I wonder if it's actually an eczema. Eczema often looks like little fluid filled bumps, like many pimples, and is an allergic reaction. And allergic reactions to oils *are* pretty common.

Maybe it's time to test out scent lockets and/or putting oil in your hair where it won't cause visible bumps?

good luck.

Hmmm, it could be! These spots I've been getting on my face, chest, and neck are these large cystic feeling lumps that actually come to a head just like a zit would. And, here comes the icky part, when they come to a head and pop, they ooze the typical white puss that I get from regular old zits. I can't seem to find any eczema pictures that look like what I have though... I don't get any itching or anything like that which is supposed to be the first symptom of eczema.

I'm thinking I'm probably going to order a scent locket because I totally don't want to give up my BPAL! :(

I would counsel seeing a dermatologist and making some actual medical exams.

Allergies tend to be more like small pimples or rash... if it's large zits, maybe its the oil base that BPAL uses that is overly oily for your skin (I know, it sounds weird, seeing people don't usually slather them in oil, but even a little bit can be too much sometimes).

Anyway, seeing a doctor is always better than trying to figure stuff out by yourself.

You should definitively go see a dermatologist. This way you can get an exact answer and be able to avoid the right culprit. In regards to eczema, which I have, it is a possibility. Sometimes the bumps resemble tiny pimples and other times like scaly patches. The pimpley looking ones can release a white substance, but it isn't liquidy like pus. The bumps usually form in clusters, but it is not uncommon to have lone bumps here and there. However if the bumps that you are getting are not dry and itchy, then it is probably something else.

I have always had terrible skin but I've never had a problem with BPAL, specifically. You may want to consider your make-up, if you wear any. I developed the type of skin lesions you're describing (after years of warring with regular old acne/rosacea) and it turned out to be the bismuth in my mineral foundation! I have to be careful with that from now on or they come right back.

I believe a derm dr is the best bet, too!

Mae

I too, find that if I put the oil on my neck or chest I get big acne cysts that form the day after (even if I wash it off within 24 hrs). I've resorted to wearing it on the backs of my hands and wrists. No problems there :)

I actually saw my doc about the acne problem I was having back in January but I didn't make the perfume oil connection until just a few days ago. I'm on birth control for my acne since I didn't want to take anti-biotics and my skin tends to have bad reactions to benzoyl peroxide. Every spot on my face has cleared up except my chin, neck, and chest... Which are now healing nicely now that I'm not applying my perfume oils to those spots.

@ Mae - I actually thought that it could be my make up too! So I stopped wearing it for several weeks, and the acne was still going strong. I know there's no bismuth in the foundation I use though. I specifically bought a mineral make up that didn't contain it. :)

@ AmandaArcana - I'll have to try just applying to my wrists from now on and see what happens! I know the skin on the chest and neck are similar to your facial skin, so maybe those parts are just too sensitive for perfume oils.

If I apply BPAL oils to my neck for more than a couple of days, I tend to get painful cyst-type breakouts along my jawline and neck as well. The only problems I've had with my collarbone/wrists/inside of elbows, though, is a slight rash if it's a particular oil like cinnamon that's actually an irritant.

Personally I'm a big fan of putting perfume oil on the ends of my hair; it lasts longer, doesn't morph unpredictably, and helps with dry ends. Plus I get wafts of scent every time I move my head :)

If I apply BPAL oils to my neck for more than a couple of days, I tend to get painful cyst-type breakouts along my jawline and neck as well. The only problems I've had with my collarbone/wrists/inside of elbows, though, is a slight rash if it's a particular oil like cinnamon that's actually an irritant.

Personally I'm a big fan of putting perfume oil on the ends of my hair; it lasts longer, doesn't morph unpredictably, and helps with dry ends. Plus I get wafts of scent every time I move my head :)

Good idea on the hair! Especially dry ends (of which I have many)!

Mae

I actually saw my doc about the acne problem I was having back in January but I didn't make the perfume oil connection until just a few days ago. I'm on birth control for my acne since I didn't want to take anti-biotics and my skin tends to have bad reactions to benzoyl peroxide. Every spot on my face has cleared up except my chin, neck, and chest... Which are now healing nicely now that I'm not applying my perfume oils to those spots.

@ Mae - I actually thought that it could be my make up too! So I stopped wearing it for several weeks, and the acne was still going strong. I know there's no bismuth in the foundation I use though. I specifically bought a mineral make up that didn't contain it. :)

@ AmandaArcana - I'll have to try just applying to my wrists from now on and see what happens! I know the skin on the chest and neck are similar to your facial skin, so maybe those parts are just too sensitive for perfume oils.

Ah, those pesky hormones! I'm thinking about asking my dr for a try on those, as well, as my skin is rebellious even at 41.

Good to hear you're healing!

Mae

Ah, those pesky hormones! I'm thinking about asking my dr for a try on those, as well, as my skin is rebellious even at 41.

Good to hear you're healing!

Mae

Yeah, the birth control is working out great. I had very heavy somewhat tortuous periods so it's pretty much killing two problems with one stone. :lol: The nasty cystic zits I have now that I'm not applying perfume to those areas are almost totally gone now so I am happy. And I can still enjoy my perfume. All is well. :joy:

I have 3 imps that I recently purchased: NOCTURNE, DRAGONS MILK, OBATALIA

The scents are quite strong and would like to test out these oils into (a tiny sample size) body butter/skin cream base.

Are there any oils within these scents that are irritants for sensitive skin.

I've tried all 3 with light dabs to the pulse points and had a slight skin reaction to them.

Let me know what base would work well with these and other BPAL oil on sensitive skin.

I like to experiment with new ways to use blends. I tend to lean more on light organic essential oils.

much appreciate the feedback :)

On the reaction side, the notes in those blends aren't the common ones that people react to (cinnamon is one to watch out for especially) but if your skin reacts to even those, then I'd use a base you already know to be fine for your skin, rather than trying both a new base and new scents. That way, if you have a reaction, you'll be better able to isolate the cause.

I recently purchased these oils as imps: NOCTURNE, DRAGONS MILK, OBATALIA

The scents are quite strong and would like to test out these oils into (a tiny sample size) body butter/skin cream base.

Are there any oils within these scents that are irritants for sensitive skin.

I've tried all 3 with light dabs to the pulse points and had a slight skin reaction to them.

Let me know what base would work well with these and other BPAL oil on sensitive skin.

I like to experiment with new ways to use blends. I tend to lean more on light organic essential oils.

Could anyone from BPAL or on the forum give me an idea as to what oils in these could cause a reaction.

I posted this elsewhere and was referred to this particular post?

any thoughts?

Thank you Sqwook and Altaira..

I checked the links and reposted about the allergies. My concern is putting the scented butters on my face.

Though it sounds like a little drop DOES go a long way. I have the "imps" so I will have to use very sparingly

I was curious about why you'd want to scent a product with perfume & apply it to your face. I wouldn't recommend that anyone do that whether it's BPAL or another perfume. There are essential oils that can be beneficial to the skin but using those isn't the same as using a product that is designed to be a scent, not a therapeutic product.

You might want to apply unscented butters or lotion to your pulse points, etc. then apply your BPAL oil of choice over it. Some sensitive folks have found that it helps to have that slight barrier & it serves to dilute the oil a wee bit. Also be sure not to apply immediately following a shower/bath or exercise when your pores are open.

I have a question, I have a friend who loves perfumes all all things scented however she has a moderate-severe nut allergy. Before I introduce her to the wonderful world of BPAL I just want to know if there are any blends that should be avoided at all costs. Thank you

I might be allergic to something (or multiple things, I suppose, since I've never tried most of the listed notes) in Elf. I put some on a couple of days ago and today I've got a rash (a more or less circular patch of pimple-like red spots) on my arm where I was testing it.

I'm hoping that it was a fluke, or that the skin there is just extra sensitive...or that it was something else entirely that caused the reaction. Because I need to know if Elf is the culprit, I'm wearing it again today and I'm making extra sure this time of whether it's Elf that I'm allergic to by slathering on more than usual. If I am allergic to it, I want to be sure that I know it. I'll have to deal with a worse rash if it is the culprit, but there won't be any doubt about what caused it. Fingers crossed that it was just a fluke or a combination of things and not just Elf causing it. I guess I should know within a couple of days whether it's going to happen again.

I'm really, really hoping it's not Elf because I really like the way it smells on me. In fact, I like it enough that I bought a second bottle today after seeing the rash on my arm and realizing that I might not be able to wear it on my skin. I'll keep my bottles no matter what, but I'll have to wear it in a scent locket if it happens again and that makes me sad. As much as I love the aesthetics of the scent lockets, I much prefer to wear my perfume on my skin.

I seem to be having skin reactions to surprising things lately, but this is the first time I've had it happen with perfume. I'm allergic to something in the rubberized grip on my toothbrush and the steering wheel in my mom's car and have to wear gloves when I brush my teeth or drive her car (I'm guessing it might be latex that I'm allergic to in a mild way, because I get the same thing to a lesser degree from some bandaids). I get a nasty, blistered contact dermatitis every time I touch either one bare-handed.

ETA: Good news, everyone! I'm apparently not allergic to Elf. Or I'm only allergic to it when it combines with something else (what, I have no idea, but not any other perfume, since I was only wearing Elf that day). At any rate, no rash this time in spite of slathering. :D

But the rash was in exactly the same spot and the same shape as the area where I'd applied Elf and it went away with a couple of applications of strong hydrocortisone cream, so it was clearly an allergic reaction and it was linked somehow to Elf. I'm guessing it must have been a bad combination between Elf and something else I touched with that part of my arm during the course of the day when I wore it the first time. It'll probably end up being one of those mysteries of life unless it happens again and I can pin it down.

Now the sad part is that my skin eats Elf alive. It has a really short lifespan on me, which is breaking my heart. But it's gorgeous, so I'll slather and reapply if need be.

Edited by Penance

I have a pretty bad reaction to "Inferno": my skin gets red, itchy and suffers from a mean rash.

I guess I have a good explanation for this: the scent contains a lot of cinnamon (oil? extract?), and cinnamon is kind of sharp when you put it on your skin. Just think of cinnamon chewing gum or toothpaste. And I even had a self-warming massage oil with cinnamon once. So why was I surprised? I should have known! icon_neutral.gif

Anyway.. I would like to know if any of you has tried this scent and gotten the same reaction? Then I'd know if I am allergic to the scent (or the cinnamon), or if it's just my sensitive skin? It's too bad because "Inferno" smells great.. but, heck, the name could have given the reaction away, really. ;)

I think sensitivities are different than allergies. I sometimes have my skin turn pink from an oil with a lot of cassia or ginger, but I can use those spices in cooking without experiencing an allergic response. You could try putting the scent in a spot where the skin is less sensitive (tops of the wrists rather than inside, for example), or, if you have no plan to ever sell or swap Inferno, you could try diluting it a bit with a carrier oil. You might also find that your skin is more sensitive right after a shower, and wait to apply scents until you've dried off.

One final thing-- it sometimes helps to moisturize the areas you want to apply scent to with an unscented lotion, then wait a little while to let that sink in before putting on the perfume oil. That might keep your skin from absorbing the oil and reacting.

And, of course, there's always a scent locket!

I have a pretty bad reaction to "Inferno": my skin gets red, itchy and suffers from a mean rash.

I guess I have a good explanation for this: the scent contains a lot of cinnamon (oil? extract?), and cinnamon is kind of sharp when you put it on your skin. Just think of cinnamon chewing gum or toothpaste. And I even had a self-warming massage oil with cinnamon once. So why was I surprised? I should have known! icon_neutral.gif

Anyway.. I would like to know if any of you has tried this scent and gotten the same reaction? Then I'd know if I am allergic to the scent (or the cinnamon), or if it's just my sensitive skin? It's too bad because "Inferno" smells great.. but, heck, the name could have given the reaction away, really. ;)

It doesn't have to be the cinnamon you are reacting to, Inferno also has bitter almond listed, bitter almond is known to cause reactions too!

Dear Silvertree and Monday,

thank you for your reply! Yes, I know that having a rash does not necessarily imply an allergy. I suffer from allergies and stress rashes sometimes, so I know my skin can be sensitive. And since I eat cinnamon in many dishes (my favorite spice), I think I can rule out a full-blown allergy anyway. ;) Like cassia or ginger, it gets really hot.. that is, it warms the skin (don't know the exact details of the reaction). I think I will follow your advice and try another part of my body or use a lotion first or use it on, say, a scarf or something else that can be scented OR I do swap it after all. :) I have never tried diluting one of my BPAL oils.. any tips regarding that? Is there some how-to thread somewhere? I don't really have any equipment like fancy pipettes or other little vials/bottles.

Bitter almond.. yes, true. I have never reacted to anything in foods before, and I think I tested negative on any kind of nuts once when I had an allergy test, but it could be the combination of both that does the trick. Hmm.. maybe a swap ain't such a bad idea after all.. icon_sad.gif