Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

Check this one out!

I have a large, black tattoo on my forearm. I swiped Arcana once. The entire tattoo tingled and raised up. My tattoo stood up off of my skin. :P

Why? Has this ever happened to anyone? I have many, many tattoos and this has never happened to me before.

Tattoos can be sensitive even after you think they should be all healed. I know if I scratch certain parts of mine, the edges of the outline will raise up like that. You might want to keep scents off the tat from now on. The tat I have that is about 12 years old doesn't do it, but my other, more recent one does. I have no idea why. I think it's just one of those thangs. Could depend on location, colour, how deep the ink went, etc.

The tattoo I am talking about is 13 years old. It hasn't happened with any other oils... and Arcana is already gone, so no worries. I am usually pretty sensitive to cinnamon, but I haven't had any red, burning welts with BPAL oils. I have Wrath on the way and Inferno too. I am expecting red welts with those :D . Who cares about burning skin when you smell so good?!

I'm hugely disappointed with my skin, because it seems to have taken a dislike to Paris. I put it on this morning and yet again, my neck turned red and angry, and started itching. I also get it on the inside of my elbows, but weirdly, only on the left arm. :P I've noticed it before, but Jedley pointed it out today so I can't ignore it now and pretend it's not happening. :D

Anybody have any ideas why this has happened? I've been wearing it since the summer with no reaction, but in the last month or so, the itching has started. It's such a lovely blend but if it's got to go, it's got to go. :D

What is the best way to go about contacting BPAL to find out if certain things are in scent blends? Because some of the scents are bouquets (musk, etc.) and a lot of the descriptions do not list the ingredients in the scent, I'm VERY scared to order, swap, or otherwise obtain BPAL scents for fear of dying as a result.

I'm horribly deathly allergic to patchouli, rum (real and artificial), rose, and true cinnamon (ceylon).

Anyone else feel the same way? I like the fun and flowery descriptions, but would really REALLY appreciate a full listing of the oils used in the blend. It would save on stress, and prevent dead clients.

You could always e-mail the help desk (answers@blackphoenixalchemylab.com), and ask Ted. I think he and Beth are away at the moment, so you'd get the auto-responder demon.

I, myself, have issues with marigold, walnut, and pecans as semi-life-threatening allergies, but I've only ever had real issues as far as "omg" allergies from Mabon (which might have contained marigold, and which I dearly loved, damn it all), and The Red Queen (which may have pecan/walnut wood?).

But, if it's a matter of allergens, I'm sure Beth & Ted would definitely tell you which blends have things that you're severely sensitive to.

Because of sometimes unlisted ingredients, if you're suspicious it is best to e-mail the lab (however, you should probably wait until beth and ted are back on the 3rd.)

while ted (who usually responds to email) is at a conference until the 3rd, brian and anthony are answering email, though it may be a bit more of a delay than normal as they're doing their normal thang (and possibly packing up the lab!) on top of that.

i imagine it'd be easier for them if you inquired about specific scents rather than ingredients, for what that's worth. you can get scents without those things by going to the advanced search and searching for "% patchouli rum rose cinnamon" and selecting the "and not" search type underneath it. --- you'll have about 230 options :P

when beth (who's with ted) gets back, i can talk to her about possibly adding an allergen filter to the search engine, but until i've had a chance to make some better management tools for it, it's not likely to happen IMMEDIATELY... but perhaps in the next year or so.

Rum has a tendency to make me nauseous, and I'm fairly certain that all of the scents that have rum in them state in their description that they have rum in them. I don't think I've been surprised by rum appearing where I didn't expect it. As for the rose, I would absolutely avoid anything that states that there is rose in it, and for any other scents that interest you, I would read the reviews to see what they say. I can't stand even the tiniest bit of rose and it's definitely lurking in some scents where it is not a listed ingredient. I know for a fact that I am allergic to cinnamon, but I have been quite pleasantly surprised to discover that I can wear some of BPAL's cinnamon scents without any reaction whatsoever. I guess it will partly depend on just how strong your allergies are. I also second (or third or fourth) the above suggestions to e-mail Beth. she helped me out at the beginning when I couldn't figure out why so many scents were turning to baby powder on me. Turned out to be my arch-nemesis musk.

Perhaps another option to cut down on the back-and-forth, once you've narrowed it down a bit, would be to place your order and include in the comments that

ALERT ALERT I'm allergic to... ALERT ALERT

The Lab would likely see that when filling your order, and know to omit/substitute selections that could be a problem. I would imagine rose will be the most likely problem, although there's at least one blend that's prominently cinnamon but not labelled as such (Hamadryad).

I don't envy you; it's hard enough sometimes to by things "scent unsmelled" without worrying if they'll actually *hurt* you. :P

nyone else feel the same way? I like the fun and flowery descriptions, but would really REALLY appreciate a full listing of the oils used in the blend. It would save on stress, and prevent dead clients.

Just on this front---a lot of the "mystery" about components isn't an attempt to make the descriptions prettier, it is an attempt to prevent people from stealing Beth's recipies and selling them as their own(which, sadly enough, has been attempted several times in the past). :P

Anyway, as others have mentioned already, your best bet is always to email the lab directly. Beth definitely doesn't want any dead clients, and as such is usually quite happy to oblige in providing you with a list of blends to avoid if you send her a list of your particular allergens. :D

That said, :D to all those misfortunate enough to be allergic to stuff like this, especially those with longer lists like MG's. That has got to suck.

I can really appreciate your frustration... it made me think how difficult it must be for you to shop for all of your cosmetics, bath items and everything. At one point within the last year I thought I might have developed a peanut allergy and was just amazed reading how dangerous it could be, and how much it hindered the lives of families whose children were highly, highly allergic. I was very relieved to find out that I was not allergic to peanuts or any food products...

Echoing what everyone has said, I am sure the lab will be more than happy to help you - once you have found scents you are interested in that don't seem to have patchouli, rose or your other allergens, they should surely be able to eliminate any from your choices that have hidden ones, and who knows - they may be able to give you an entire ingredient list since you have unique circumstances. I believe their choice not to do so on the website is half poetry/marketing, half keeping their trade secrets. For example, Lush comes out and tells you that they lump a lot of the fragrance ingredients together and list it as "perfume" since it's legal to do so, in order to prevent competitors from duping their products - not that it's any comfort to someone with allergy issues like yours.

Good luck finding some blends that you like... so far, I hope you at least are having fun reading some of the descriptions :P

I understand completely. Almonds make me horribly sick (i.e. I was throwing up for three days after sniffing Baron Samedi once because I didn't know there was almond in it). I've found that Beth and the other labbies are very helpful if you're wondering about a certain scent like I was with Snow White. Just ask and they'll most likely be happy to help you out. :D :P

Seriously. I even asked if one of the recent scents has cinnamon and got no reply... I'm surpried because cinnamon oil is known to irritate sensitive skin. I personally think the oils which are common in allegies should always be listed (mysterious LE or not).

It would save on stress, and prevent dead clients.

LOL! :D Reminds me of the diner that mede their chili with peanut butter as their secret ingredient. Some girl who had severe peanut allergies ate it (because who suspects chili will have PB in it??) and died. :P

scarlet, I'm so sorry that you have to deal with allergies. I'm sensitive to some ingredients as well, so I know what a pain in the ass that can be.

I think that Beth, as a perfumer who cares about her clients and a businesswoman, is walking a fine line. While I'm confident that she would never want anyone to become ill, she also needs to protect the intellectual rights of her products. Unfortunately, there are tons of people who are only too happy to duplicate her blends and sell them as their own (a lot of us have witnessed it).

I agree with everyone....your best bet is to email the Lab and ask them. If you don't get a response for whatever reason, play it on the safe side and don't order a blend you have any doubts about. Your health and life are more important than perfume, no matter how beautiful or tempting.

As quantum spice noted, perhaps in the future there will be a common allergen search filter on the website. Until then, just be cautious and email the Lab. If you don't get a reply, try again (they've been having email glitches, etc.).

Good luck.

edited for spelling

Seriously. I even asked if one of the recent scents has cinnamon and got no reply... I'm surpried because cinnamon oil is known to irritate sensitive skin. I personally think the oils which are common in allegies should always be listed (mysterious LE or not).

Edited by VelvetSky

Thanks, VelvetSky. :D It's a good friend of mine that has allergies... I send her imps now and then, and she's had problems with cinnamon and minty stuff. I screen them myself now that I know about her allergies, but if I was to send her a big bottle of a Lunar oil she'd have to take the chance and try it herself. She's really into Moon rituals, it would have been a thoughtful gift.

Silver lining: If she ever crosses me real bad she'll get some Mars in the mail. :P Kidding... yes... um, uh... :D

I'll tell you what sucks, is discovering a new allergy.

Especially when you have figured out you love the scent.

I sniffed snake oil, and loved it, so I slathered it on. I spent the next day with swollen and watery eyes, red splotchy skin, and pretty much being in misery - now this coincided with a shift in the weather so I tried it again (only less slathery) and had the same affect.

I was very disappointed, because I loved it. I've always lived with pretty severe allergies though - Beth's creations are the best things I've been able to wear really.

I'm sorry that you have to live with such severe and threatening allergies. I hope you have success in emailing BPAL with the notes that you're allergic to.

I don't think that all of the ingredients should be listed on the site. Unfortunately, many bath and body products only list "fragrance" or "perfume," not individual ingredients comprising the fragrance. Again, I hope you have success in emailing BPAL, as the Labbies are the only ones who can really help.

while ted (who usually responds to email) is at a conference until the 3rd, brian and anthony are answering email, though it may be a bit more of a delay than normal as they're doing their normal thang (and possibly packing up the lab!) on top of that.

i imagine it'd be easier for them if you inquired about specific scents rather than ingredients, for what that's worth. you can get scents without those things by going to the advanced search and searching for "% patchouli rum rose cinnamon" and selecting the "and not" search type underneath it. --- you'll have about 230 options :P

when beth (who's with ted) gets back, i can talk to her about possibly adding an allergen filter to the search engine, but until i've had a chance to make some better management tools for it, it's not likely to happen IMMEDIATELY... but perhaps in the next year or so.

I've tried searching- but the issue that I run into is that some of the scents, such as musk, are combinations of others- and I have no way of knowing if something in the combination to create musk will effect me unless I know what is in it.

I know other friends of mine have avoided BPAL for the same reason- this was a discussion that came up on another board and quite a few people said the flowery descriptions were nice- but that the lack of information on the individual notes makes choosing scents hard (and the default option when unable to choose is to not buy) and avoiding allergens impossible.

Perhaps adding a key somewhere on the site that says what is used in the organic bouquets that are used to replicate such things as musk, leather, ambergris, would help- along with listing the notes in a scent at the end of it's description (not in order of amount, not stating amount, just to state the notes). That way the poetics remain, your recipe is intact, but the important information that a LOT of folks look for is also available. I know lots of places list "fragrance", and I hate it- as does anyone who has to deal with severe allergies of any sort.

If an allergen search function is added- somewhere the hiddden scents (and unlisted ones as MANY on the site simply don't list the notes at all) need to be there so the search and check through those too. I have emailed BPAL many times in the past, way long ago when they were still selling single notes even, and to this day have never recieved a reply to any of my inqueries. I understand that emailing is the first line of action- but that has up to now, failed. I would much prefer at this point, to be able to take this into my own hands.

Just a thought.

Edited by MartyGreene

Well I'm sure when the staff see this thread, they will perhaps be more inclined to respond to your e-mails - there may have been plenty of reasons why they didn't in the past.

Maybe just ask them to e-mail you a list of all the blends that contain any trace of the things you're allergic to. That way you know which ones to avoid.

There's a way to handle it, actually, without putting Beth's formulas at risk. You create a login-only checker, so the labbies have a person to connect to it, and then the user lists allergies in a form. It returns a list of safe blends that contain none of these things. This makes finding the formulae harder for anyone with nefarious plans, and lets the customers pick out the ones that won't make them sick.

Me, I have only mild allergies (strawberries and raw tomatoes), and only one of the two actually makes me nauseous, so I suppose I get off easy. :P

The folks with allergies may want to keep an eye on the reviews, too, as some of our forumites seem to have very well-trained noses! That's something, at least. :D

Wow, how awful it must be to go through life with such horrid allergies. I can't even imagine.

To the original poster...how do you go about finding the ingredients in items one uses everyday? Just about everything has fragrance in them. That must be such a daunting task to have deal with on a daily basis.

I would fear using perfume at all if I had such allergies. Just not worth it.

There's a way to handle it, actually, without putting Beth's formulas at risk. You create a login-only checker, so the labbies have a person to connect to it, and then the user lists allergies in a form. It returns a list of safe blends that contain none of these things. This makes finding the formulae harder for anyone with nefarious plans, and lets the customers pick out the ones that won't make them sick.

Actually, it's not that simple. The labbies wouldn't have anything to do with connecting a person to it. The lovely and talented quantum spice is the one who created the search engine, and she doesn't work for the Lab.