Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

I read the post topic as

"Has anyone ever gotten head?"

:P

I do, sometimes. Sometimes I get nauseated, too, when I'm bombarded by too many scents for too long -- like if I've worked in the Lab for too many hours without going outside. Because we use organics and essentials, you're dealing with medical quality plant essences, and some people have a very strong reaction to certain notes. It's best to try and isolate the specific note that's bothering you and avoid purchasing scents that contain that component in the future.

I don't have that option. :D

You can also dilute the blends with a carrier oil to lessen their potency.

Not so much from the blends themselves; there are a handful of notes that cause a headache for me, no matter what they're in, though.

I've learned to identify and avoid those notes (although sometimes a scent is soooo tempting I try it anyway, and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by how little of the "problem" note there is), and thus don't usually have a problem with the scent-induced headache.

I've learned to identify and avoid those notes (although sometimes a scent is soooo tempting I try it anyway, and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by how little of the "problem" note there is), and thus don't usually have a problem with the scent-induced headache.

What she said!

Oops! I didn't mean for it to sound naughty!

I was asking because I've avoided perfumes for so long, because a lot of them give me sinus headaches and my allergies hate them. I've only tried two scents so far and I do have a slight headache, but I don't know if it's because of other reasons than the scents.

Though I will try to remember which, if any, scents give me headaches and see if I can isolate the problem!

I read the post topic as

:P

i swear that's what it was on the front page!! :D

I read the post topic as

*snort*

I did too! :P

Certain oils give me really bad sinus headaches...unfortunately, I have yet to isolate exactly which ones they are, though. There are also a few oils that I cannot wear because they affect my skin adversly...cinnamon being the main one.

I read the post topic as

:D

And so the two of you jumped right in!

:P I'm not commenting on my own quick response to the topic. :D

I guess have a knack for making interesting titles. Now I feel so embarassed.  :P

Nah ... don't be. We're all having fun, and you got a quick response to your question. :D

It all works out. :D

I read the post topic as

:D

And so the two of you jumped right in!

:evil: I'm not commenting on my own quick response to the topic. :P

well ya know, andy DOES rather like bpal on me... :D

and i gotta say, i rather like how he usually responses :D

I did get a headache once from a scent, but I usually don't get headaches from scents. Granted, I have major sinus problems so not having a sinus headache is the more unusual situation. I can't remember what the scent was because I promptly swapped it...No problem since then.

On a tangent, I did read somewhere that the doctors have finally realized that just because a headache has sinus headache components doesn't mean it isn't a migraine. Sometimes I get headaches that just resonate through my head and down my neck. I have all the additional symptoms of a migraine with the pain centered on my sinuses. My doctor won't give me migraine meds because he says it is a sinus headache. But nothing works until I break down and take my mom's migraine medicine (I know, bad Lisa!).

Certain oils give me really bad sinus headaches...unfortunately, I have yet to isolate exactly which ones they are, though. There are also a few oils that I cannot wear because they affect my skin adversly...cinnamon being the main one.

Voodoo gives me pretty bad headaches but I wear it anyway. :P I'm not sure which single note is causing the headaches.

I can't wear cinnamon oils either. I put on Inferno and it was actually torture. I looked like I had burns on my wrists and neck. I learned my lesson--I do spot tests before slathering an oil all over my body.

I've been taking strong antibiotics on an empty stomach for about a week now. They make me so nauseated that I can't tolerate smelling any of the oils except citrus-y ones. I'm ok with Jabberwocky. That's about it.

It seems like all the strong florals give me a raging headache. Which is weird, because regular flowers don't bother me and I don't really have allergies or anything.

I'm wondering if it's psychosomatic because I used to be a housekeeper and a lot of the cleaning chemicals smelled strongly floral.

Roses don't bother me, but lilies, lilacs, gardenia, jasmine... yikes. Headaches plus nausea.

I'm starting to think frankenscence (I just can't spell today)gives me head aches... I know that Psyche gave me one right away.

And I'm just the opposite. I can really wear flowers, any kind. I love heady florals and light green florals and any kind, really - they all makes me feel great.

But put something resin or very spicey, something with a lot of fixatives or base notes, on me, and the energy drains straight out of my body and I feel sick, nauseated, headachey, can't concentrate. Those are the scents that are supposed to be so sultry. But I can't be sultry when I'm needing to lie down and considering perhaps puking ...

It fascinates me that we all differ so much in what scents our bodies like and which they really do not. I keep thinking it must mean something, but what, I don't know.

Like, if you have a lot of earth in your chart, does that mean you would want perfumes made of top notes to lift you? or if you have a lot of air in your chart, would that make you drawn more toward base notes because then you feel more grounded? or could it have to do with blood type or immune system make up? or what.

Mine is sandalwood. I think. Get me near a warm, woody incense, and my nose/face gets all itchy and then I get an ice pick to the brain. It sucks.

I don't necessarily get a headache unless I try sniffin' all of them in quick succession.

That said, my stomach likes to do the gag factor on some. And those I don't try on for fear of further damage.

I've learned that musk is not my friend.

I have yet to find a scent that will give me an actual headache, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Fulltiltredhead: That's an interesting thought. I myself am an earthy Capricorn, and I love everything thick, resiny, mossy, and earthy (patchouli!). Then there's the Leo aspect in me, that loves everything spicy, sweet, and incensey. I like heavier scents rather than lighter, though I find myself often loving lighter scents also, I just rarely give them a chance because I'm not *drawn* to them.

I wonder if this means I should balance myself a little and try water/air scents?

As it happens, my birthchart has only one (if my memory serves me right) Air sign present! Maybe I should strengthen that?

Anyways, interesting. :P

-Milk

Drat!

I just found another ingredient that I can't wear - bergamot! And of course, both of the Mad Tea Party oils I decided to try tonight have it in them...my wrists are burning a lot right now. I guess I should go wash this off before they burn anymore. :P

Possible. I tend to fall for more Scorpionic notes, but I don't notice any elemental correspondence. If you don't include the major and minor asteroids, my chart is predominantly air (4 planets) with fire being next (3 + ascendant), water with 2 (sun sign included), and earth with only 1. I'm primarily drawn to earth and fire type notes, but if I were to think about which elements I feel are more dominant in my personality, I could firmly say air and water are far ahead of any fire or earth influences. I do feel Leo influences (my ascendent), but my sun sign overpowers (by a lot) any effect of my ascendent. My moon in Sagittarius is one of my weaker points, at least in zodiac influence. It seems to express itself more on its house position rather than its sign.

And in a typical Scorpio way, I tend to run towards extremes and enjoy polarity more than being balanced (much to my psychiatrist's dismay :P ). Not that I'm flighty, I just am very this or I'm very that. Seldom in between. But maybe I'm just a freak. :D

And please advise me on these things? How do I find out, in a simple way, how much earth, fire, etc. I have in my chart?

If you send me your DOB and birth time (if you know it) I'll take a peak at your chart for you!