Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bloodlotus

Where is this scent?

I came across a bottle of Babalu Aye and can't find a description for it anywhere.

Does anyone know what the notes are, or have a description of it?

Thanks!

OOPS! I deleted my earlier post. This one says that Babalu Aye is a Black Broom scent:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=6207&hl=babalu

A thread about mystery scents:

What is this scent? I can't find info on it on the website!

Also, by searching for "Babalu" on the forums, I found the above posting, as well as this one:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=10261&hl=babalu

The recommendations forum is really awesome for if you are looking for a particular type of scent, maybe for a gift, or something matching to the kinds of perfumes you like. You may find the BPAL Chatter a better place for random BPAL queries. :P

Edited by tart

thanks - i had already done a board search for it and came up empty-handed. that thread mentions it by name but doesn't say anything about it.

I'll try Chatter if you think that will work better.

Well, descriptions for Black Broom scents aren't available on the website or on the forums. Once someone posts a review for a Black Broom scent, you may be able to get a feeling of what the notes are and what it smells like, but again, no written description is available. You could try emailing the Lab if you were really curious.

Third edit: You can hit the "report" button to ask to have this thread moved to BPAL Chatter, so you don't have to start a duplicate thread.

Edited by tart

Yes, it is a Black Broom exclusive scent, and as such has no official description. I saw a couple bottles last time I was up there.

Babalu Aye is the Orisha who governs health, disease, illness and infirmities, both causes and cures. I would expect (though can by no means guarantee) that a perfume for Babalu Aye would include white wine, corn, popcorn, sesame seeds (possibly sesame seed candy), and various grains and seeds. But of course, those are just guesses based on the sort of offerings typically given to this divinity (caveat: according to my own web searches.)

Edited because in the time it took me to write a reply, Tart had found the information!

Edited by Macha

I found a scent called Graveyard Dirt at the Black Broom...but I can't find a mention of it anywhere. Is my mind just playing tricks on me?

(I just wanted to know why someone would like smelling of graveyard dirt. =)

if it's at black broom and not available through bpal, then it's either a black broom exclusive blend or a oil (magickal or otherwise) that the powers that be at bpal have decided would be better sold through their wholesalers.

Dear Lord, did you *smell* it?? :P That stuff is incredible! It's what Demeter's "Dirt" wishes it was!

Dear Lord, did you *smell* it?? :P That stuff is incredible! It's what Demeter's "Dirt" wishes it was!

It was *pungent* and just whoa. I was amazed because it really did have the rich dark soil smell *down*--but I didn't have the courage to actually try it out. I dunno...it might be a nice scent to freak people out: "Hey... :sniffsniff: Gardening...? Gravedigging...? Spring, what have you been doing?

What can I do to possibly get some Graveyard Dirt?? :P I opted out of the recent Black Broom mass order and now I am hoping that future acts of kindness on the part of LA-area forum members might enable me to grab some of this! I want nothing more than to smell like earth, and it sounds like I would just want to pour this all over myself.

Seriously, this one sounds like a dream to me!!

I hope this is the right place for this query.. :P

So, I though I read the description for an oil saying it was a Japanese pirate woman or some such. Terror of the seas..who knows. I just remember it being a funny name I didn't know how to pronounce and it had to do with a female pirate.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I just went through my scent list *three* times looking for it...so am I crazy, blind, or just confused?

I hope this is the right place for this query.. :P

So, I though I read the description for an oil saying it was a Japanese pirate woman or some such.  Terror of the seas..who knows.  I just remember it being a funny name I didn't know how to pronounce and it had to do with a female pirate. 

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?  I just went through my scent list *three* times looking for it...so am I crazy, blind, or just confused?

Well, I did a search for:

"Pirate" (only anne bonny and grog come up)...

"Japan".. (baku, hakkotsu, kitsune-tsuki, aizen-myoo, neo-tokyo, only)...

and nothing under "Sea" fits either..

(and those were using the "all scents" option)

perhaps it was another company?

Oh I totally tried all those keywords too. :D

Nope, not another company. The only perfume oil company aside from BPAL I've ever tried was Ava Aromatics...and I can't imagine fearsome woman pirates being part of their scents. :D

It's totally driving me crazy. I *know* I freaking saw that description. But it's been so long ago I can't recall it clearly enough to know whether I'm meshing it with something else.... egads man!

Granted, Anne Bonny's (which I plan on trying tomorrow) description does sound kind of like it...but I wouldn't have gotten "Anne Bonny" confused with something Asian (just widening things a bit. :P).....Seriously, where are those crazy pills at? :D

Ugh, that sounds so familiar...I dunno. I searched quite a bit but I don't see anything similar.

I'm looking for some information on some of the discontinued scents. I can't seem to find the information in the reviews (or, if they were listed in the reviews, I missed them.), and I didn't want to start a new thread so this seemed to be the most logical place to put this request.

What I'm looking for is the original categories (Diabolus, Bewitching Brews, Sin & Salvation, etc) that the following scents used to be in, if anyone remembers. :P

UNSEELIE

CHYPRE

SILENTIUM AMORIS

BANSHEE

ENTROPY

CALLIOPE

SPECTRE

MELPOMENE

GOONA GOONA

DAMNATION

HAKKOTSU

PANDORA

ERATO

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking for some information on some of the discontinued scents. I can't seem to find the information in the reviews (or, if they were listed in the reviews, I missed them.), and I didn't want to start a new thread so this seemed to be the most logical place to put this request.

If you use the BPAL site search engine (make sure you use advanced mode and set it to search for discontinued scents), you can find categorical info for all of 'em. Unseelie, for instance, was in Diabolus.

:P

If you use the BPAL site search engine (make sure you use advanced mode and set it to search for discontinued scents), you can find categorical info for all of 'em.  Unseelie, for instance, was in Diabolus.

:P

I was not aware one could do that. Thank you very much!

Here you go...

UNSEELIE - Diabolus

CHYPRE - Bewitching Brews

SILENTIUM AMORIS - Funereal OIls

BANSHEE - Diabolus

ENTROPY - Diabolus

CALLIOPE - Bewitching Brews

SPECTRE - Diabolus

MELPOMENE - Bewitching Brews

GOONA GOONA - Voodoo Blends

DAMNATION - Sin & Salvation

HAKKOTSU - Diabolus

PANDORA - Bewitching Brews

ERATO - Bewitching Brews

Okay. If this isn't the appropriate place for this, will someone please re-direct me? :P

My question: has anyone heard of/smelled/tested a scent called "Verdandi"?

I searched the website and the forums, and I can't find it anywhere! :D

I got it in a mystery imp package from someone, and this scent was included.

Does anyone have any idea about that one?

Thanks so much!

Alison

Verdandi is a current catalog Excolo scent:

VERDANDI

Necessity

Deep herbs and apple with black amber.