Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Delirium1009

Blood Moon 2008

The feral scent of the heat of the chase, deep woods, undulating musks, brushed by forest flora, swirled in the incense of the anointed cherub that covereth, and touched by blood-dimmed lunar oils.

Bottle: Musks!
Wet on Me: musks that remind me of being in the woods at night. Light floral whispers dancing around.
Drying Down: I smell woods now….coming up to match the stride of the musks. What little floral I could detect at first has faded now.
Dry: musky woods, woody musks. This is a walk in the woods on a cool autumn’s evening with a man who smells just way too good. Not that I get a masculine vibe off this, but I feel this scent would just rock on a man.

This one is kind of strange on me - sweet and fresh. Almost aquatic with touches of dragon's blood. Not at all what I was expecting. Very "outdoors in the fresh air" oil. Not much musk, incense, or woods (all my favorite notes), unfortunately. Nice though!

This is one of those blends that I can't bring myself to actually put on. To me, it smells like Lunar Eclipse (which to me, was revolting) dusted with cocoa. Which isn't really possible, because cocoa isn't in the descrip. This is a no go for me.

In the bottle: Light beigey-peach colour. Smoky/incensey, woody, green, herbal. A little sharp and medicinal. Masculine.

Wet: Softer, gentler, sweeter. Also spicy, and a little fruity. Dragon's blood? Getting a bit of soapy floral edge. Still very green/herbal.

Dry: Definitely some berries of some sort, and vaguely soapy florals. A bit less herbal. The woods are less dry than it intially, more smooth.

Later: Deep musks emerging, but soapiness increasing. I lied about the woods, they're going dry (and warm) again.

Summary: Soapy florals, dusty woods, green herbs, and musk with a bit of warm, smoky incense. Not my thing. Good throw, great lasting power.

This is very sweet and soft, much more so than I would have imagined. It is actually almost innocent smelling, and very pleasant. There's a soft swirling of musks, undershadowed by a barely there slightly spicy "blood" note. I'm ususally not a fan of the lab's blood scents, I use to leave those to my ex. This may be an exception. This sort of reminds me of an amber - y incense with a powdery soft dry down and a dash of sexiness. this is very pretty, but very weak with barely any throw. I guess you are supposed to get nice and close to sniff this one! My only other complaint is that it stays a bit oily on my skin. Other than that, nice!

I want to drink this. I know that nothing foody is listed as a note, but I swear I smell something like peach... and it is making me very hungry. I could sniff this imp all day.

Dry, it turns very incense-ish... it is very different from peach nectar, but it is still very nice. However, I no longer wish to drink it. I gave up drinking incense a long time ago.

My original review that I moved from the "Blood Moon" thread to here, for the sake of accuracy:

I'm surprised I haven't reviewed this yet. Probably because, like many of the oils I love the most, I have a hard time describing it. I am so glad I sprung for a bottle of this unsniffed (and without reading reviews)... it is lovely.

Pretty strong throw, which I like. I don't get the cinnamon that others have mentioned, and fortunately not a single whiff of anything resembling dragon's blood (which I feared may show up). It's musky but tempered by an airiness. It evokes the inspiration well-- this is for when you're feeling strong and on the prowl. However, it's not as aggressive as that sounds. It's absolutely appropriate for everyday.

Definitely worth a bottle. This makes it into my permanent collection for sure.

This scent remains a favorite. There's a certain quality in many BPALs that I am a sucker for.. a biting & clean quality that I associate with "herbal." This version of Blood Moon has it, but in a scarier and drier way. The lyric "dead leaves on the dirty ground" springs to mind. It's a Fall type scent which works wonderfully year-round, even now on a sunny happy spring day.

I love the imagery associated with Blood Moon, and the scent itself captures it. This is in my Top 10, and possibly my Top 5. I'd love to track down the first version of Blood Moon to compare.

This smells like cologne-infused blood in the decant, but does better on skin.

Morpher! Wet, it's in the vein of Hunter Moon 07 and Ivanushka (unless I'm going crazy and everything I test lately smells the same) in that it's full of thick, swirling, golden-brown musk. As Blood Moon dries it gets much more incensey and floral (sort of a... white, spicy floral? carnation?) with the woodsy, masculine musk settling down a lot.

This goes from wild, loamy musk that is very rich and alive to something more... wintery and metallic (with bits of cold incense and spiced flowers). That initial blood note never returns, but the stark, sour iron scent must be it in a new form. Very unique.

In contrast to the feral, spicy Blood Moon '05 (which I also absolutely love), this is a more--dare I say meditative?--blend. I think it actually embodies the religious connotation really well with the swirl of incense, which, combined with the blood notes, makes it deep and thought-provoking. If I could compare it to a song, it would definitely be Peter Gabriel's Red Rain; dark, spiritual, meditative like I mentioned before. There is also something undoubtedly human about this scent, the warmth of human flesh that mixes beautifully with my skin and is reminscent of the humanity of Christ referenced in the description. A wonderful and respectful homage :wub2:

Edited by Invidiana

Bottle: Musky blood and dirt.

I....can't bring myself to put this on my skin. It would have to morph into completely different notes for it to be something I like.

This is another disappointment for me. Being an October baby, I sought this out as something meaningful to me. I love the concept, love the imagery. Sadly, on my skin, this does not evoke anything for me. I usually amp musk (esp. red) quite a bit, and am surprised to find no trace here. No blood, no dirt, no feral anything. What I get is a faint, herbally floral soap. Smells very rich and finely milled, but it's still soap. It's clean. Does not compute. Now that a new incarnation has been announced for 2010, I'll be most curious to check it out at Will Call. Fingers crossed that maybe the new version will be the throbbing feral hunt I'm in the market for....

Musky and earthy. It smells like an October night. It's not really smoky nor ozoney, but it has that tang of autumn air. Not my style.

Sweet and fruity? :blink: With the barest hints of animal musk. Incensey fruity musk. Hmm...interesting.

Despite Blood Moon 05's awful failure on me (smelled like moldy grains), I wanted to give this one a shot. This smells like musk and incense, and it has an outdoorsy feel to it. I wonder if one of the musks is white musk because I'm getting an ever-so-slight whiff of dryer sheets in here. I think this is one of the musky-outdoorsy blends that does not smell masculine to me. This one would feel right at home on a woman. It goes through a phase where it even smells like a rather haughty perfume. But mostly it smells calming and relaxing and comforting to me.