Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
iiinterstate

MVJBA: Pancake Breakfast

Buttermilk pancakes with boysenberry syrup and goat butter!

MVJBA Pancake Breakfast

In the imp:
this smells just like the Scotch pancakes I have for breakfast…covered in BUTTER!
Wet on skin: ok, one of the notes is going weird on me…almost plastic?
Dry on skin: what’s just happened? In the vial this was a really coherent and recognisable scent of buttered pancakes. But now on the skin, this has disintegrated into a disjointed mix of buttermilk, wet cardboard, vanilla plastic and a burnt note. I can’t smell anything berry-like in here. The pancake note has turned really strange, like a kind of wet paper/plaster smell. It reminds me of plaster dust, but with vanilla. And sadly this vanilla note is plastic-scented on me too.
After a while: not much of an improvement. It smells a little less disjointed and the ‘plaster dust’ note has turned into flour, but it’s a very dry dusty flour scent. and the burnt note now smells a bit acrid, and oddly like burning plants, burning flower stems? The good thing is that now I can smell the berries.
The scent then goes back to that burnt stage, in a big way. Burning flowers and plastic vanilla. This really is failing on me.
Verdict: I wasn’t keen on this one at all. It was so promising in the vial-it smelt just like buttery pancakes! But my skin turns this to foodie fail. Sweet plastic, rancid buttermilk, damp cardboard and burnt caramel with a hint of floral-green (what the? Why on earth do I smell flowers?) which turns charred and acrid on me. It smells incoherent and dissonant. It doesn’t smell like a pancake breakfast on me-rather, it smells like one gone terribly wrong. But then again, my skin is not as tolerant with the really gourmand notes as it used to be. In all, not my thing.
Emoticon rating: :ack:
Is it a keeper?
No.
If you like this, try: Spring Training, Love’s Philosophy, Drink Me, Chanukkiah, Beaver'versary, Sugar Cookie 08 Edited by Shollin

Again, got a sample from Neyahala (she is MY evil enabler!), and had to find a bottle to buy!

In the bottle...mmm, I smell creamy butter and sticky-sweet syrup. I can actually pick out the boysenberries here.

On me...PANCAKES. Pancakes, syrup, and butter. Not so much with the boysenberries, but it smells so much like breakfast that it's not funny. I actually HAD to buy this bottle so I could taunt my boyfriend with it, because he LOVES when I make him pancakes...they're his favorite thing that I cook. I had his mom sniff at the scent, and she smiled and said "Mmmm, complete with butter!".

A keeper, and I'm so grateful that I was able to snag up a bottle!!!

In the bottle: Spicey cookie like

Wet: still a bit of cookies on my skin

Dry: i dont know what happend but i do smell the pancakes now and umm yes a little of Bloody Mary ??!!

(I love it!)

(i layerd this one with Egg'd Mailbox YUMMY!)

Edited by Icekitten

In the imp: Nondescript astringent smell that I commonly get from baked goods scents.

On me: Oh, this is not doing so well on my skin. It smells not unlike chlorine. I can't even bring my nose close to my skin or I start coughing. I think I'm going to go wash this off X_x.

Well, just as a disclaimer, I'm reviewing this right now because I want to procrastinate from writing my academic paper, though this is against my better judgment because 1) the bottles that just arrived still have travel shock, and 2) I'm on this spring detox cleanse diet thingamajig where I'm mainly eating fruits and veggies, so really sweet things smell super weird and a bit off putting right now. Anyhoo :lol: , at first I was so scared that this was going to turn into straight cloying sugar, but amazingly it managed to become quite the opposite: sweet, foody, and rich without any hint of cloying sugariness. Hurrah!

Also, at first I wasn't sure if this really smelled like pancakes, so I ran around my house asking the guys I live with, "Does this smell like pancakes? Pancakes, anyone?" They all agreed that it smelled like soggy pancakes with too much syrup on them (just how I like em :yum: !) I think I'm going to need some bonding time with this one for it to really grow on me, but I have confidence that it will. I'm definitely going to hang onto it and test again in a few days! I think this may become my lazy Sunday morning fragrance, because that is what syrupy pancakes remind me of most!

Edited by OneTheyCallLuna

I love the notes in this: buttermilk pancakes with boysenberry syrup and goat butter! Sounds fab, right? Well, let's see...

Wet: sweet syrup; can't really detect butter or buttermilk, or boysenberry, but I get a faint whiff of syrup...

Dry: where is the pancake smell? It smells like plastic syrup...not good

In the bottle I got a strong scent of maple syrup, which is interesting as that is not listed in the blend.. (More of that to come!)

On me I could not really smell anything until it dried down. I started to pick up something similar to hazelnut coffee.. That soon changed into a strange plastic maple scent. Eventually the pancakes themselves came out, but they too had a bit of a plastic quality to them. This occasionally goes away and then comes back again..

This has great lasting power though, I applied it at 11:00 last night, and it's 6:20 in the evening of the next day - and my wrist still smells like maple and pancakes.

It's pancake breakfast season around these here parts (I've been eating them all week), so what better time to review Pancake Breakfast?

This was a gift from the lovely Puddin! Thank you Puddin!

In the bottle: Pure, buttery-flavour pancake syrup à la Mrs. Butterworths et al. Just like they serve at real pancake breakfasts!

On, fresh: Very cake-y. Not *exactly* pancake smell, at least to my nose, but definitely a sweet grain cake smell. There's also an undertone of something watery, but I can't quite put my finger on it. My mother says it smells like cinnamon.

The cats lick their lips in appreciation but make no attempt to nom my wrist. Just as well, I suppose. :P

After a while: It takes over an hour, but the boysenberries finally make an appearance.

Verdict: Very sweet and hunger-inducing. :yum:

There are several more pancake breakfasts over the next week I can wear this to, although I fear I'll be sick of pancakes and their smell by the end of it all - a little of this goes a long way.

Just consider me grateful the Post left out the smell of the accompanying sausages! :sick:

The decant I received of this made the whole package smell like butterscotch :lol: It's a warm and joyous scent (what's not to love about pancakes!) Lots of syrup at first, but I started getting a hay/grain smell after a half hour or so. The goat butter makes it rich, but not too fake-butter smelling (futter?) like some butter scents go on me. Not too sweet, and not too shabby :D So glad I got to try this!

BEST!!

PANCAKES!!

EVARRRR!!!

Thank you, jewelbug, for this decant *rolls around in the delciousness*

There are some scents that make you go YUM! :lol:

The boysenberry in this blend is amazing on my skin. I had my wrist up to my nose practically the whole day, it smelled that great.

Mixed with the boysenberry I got a bit of the buttery-ness that just worked.

Love this scent!!

Lemme establish this. I am going to like Pancake Breakfast. Going to. I couldn’t like Blood Kiss, but I will like PB, damnit. In the bottle, it smells like . . . well, concentrated breakfast. Vanilla, butter, warm spices, sugar – it’s the square root of pancakes. On my skin, it gets this slightly wonky note. I’m not certain what it is, but I’m blaming the goats.

I’m –going- to like this, for no other reason than I like the name. Even if I have to cut it or layer it with Bah! or Pumpkin V ’09, I’m going to enjoy my breakfast, odd-smelling goat butter or no. Failing that, I'll put it in a clocket and call it good. Odd (and hopefully quick-fading) goat-wonkiness aside, breakfast is good.

NO! At first this was boysenberry pancakes and oh so yummy. Now, it's kind of off, and very light. I'll have to re-test this one. I was so looking forward to it.

"Its the Pancake Breakfast Ron. We do it every Sunday".

In my treasured decant, it smells like pure maple syrup and fresh Denny's pancakes.

I have yet to really slather this about but the tiny drop on put on my hand now smells like pancake vapors wafting off the plate and syrup with a slight tinge of berry. This is not overly foody on me (I wouldnt care if it was cause I love ultra foody) but it still smells like the hangover cure breakfast of my past, present and future B)

And it makes me think of Anchorman. Hence the quote above.

Oh god. This smells like breakfast on Christmas morning, when my dad made us all pancakes. Amazing. And on my skin, it's pretty straightforward pancakes and syrup, not something I want to wear on its own. However, layered with Blackberry Jam and Scones? Oh god, yes. Will keep the imp, but I think I'm going to be seeking a bottle of Blackberry Jam and Scones.

This is amazing. One of the Holy Grails of foody scents (and I've gotten pretty picky about foody scents lately).

It's a rich, bubbly pancake/waffle/funnel-cake batter with melted butter (not the weird, rancid, plasticky butter note I sometimes get but real, warm, golden butter), a puff of powdered sugar, and maple friggin syrup. :thud: I don't get a lot of berry, but there's some dark, smooth jam notes in the background.

It's not grossly sweet either. It's well-blended and subtly delicious. I will treasure my decant.

I agree with Aldercy, this really is one of the Holy Grails of Foody Scents. They're the perfect fluffy buttermilk pancakes, buttered and syruped liberally. Every note described is captured perfectly and stays on the skin for HOURS. I am going to be very careful to conserve this bottle as long as I can.

Mmm. I want pancakes tomorrow. This smells like fluffy pancakes drowned in butter and maple syrup. I detect some boysenberry which is keeping this from smelling too buttery and sweet. For a moment I got a rancid/sour milk note but it disappeared quickly. It's very well done for a foodie scent but I wouldn't need anything more than my testable sniffy.

Edited by mxtine

Origin:

5mL won on eBay.

Preconceived notions:

I'm not a foody fan, generally, but there are exceptions. I'm not anti-foody scents. Just selective. I do love the smell of pancakes, though. It's one of my very few foody scent weaknesses. I was a little nervous about the boysenberry, since, if I'm going to wear a pancake scent I want pancakes and non-fruit syrup, but from the reviews it looks like it's non-existent for most people, so I'm hoping it'll be the same for me. Fingers crossed!

First sniff:

Smells kind of like Sugar Skull. That's unexpected. That's literally only the first sniff, though. After that, the carmelized sugar scent resolves itself into syrup. Lots of syrup. I don't really smell pancakes or butter. Just the syrup. It's not entirely maple and it's not entirely Mrs. Butterworth, either. It's a sort of hybrid of the two. Very sticky sweet, but somehow not terribly cloying. I don't get the huge waft of scent that I get from opening up Sugar Skull, either. This sticks closer to the bottle.

Wet on skin:

Now the pancakes come out to play! These are fluffy buttermilk pancakes, the homemade kind. And maple syrup. Definitely maple syrup now. There's no boysenberry at all just yet. It's all buttery, syrupy pancakes. And it smells delicious.

Dry down:

Oh, I love this, even though my mom hates it (she doesn't understand why I'd want to smell like pancakes). :lol:

It really smells exactly like pancakes with butter and syrup. There's just the tiniest hint of berry in the background. So faint that I doubt I'd have noticed it if I wasn't told it was there. This is such a warm, homey, comforting scent. Not cloying and not too obnoxiously foody. It's definitely sweet and foody, but I don't feel like I smell like I'm edible. More like I've been standing at the stove making cooking up made to order pancakes all morning long, only without the sweatiness and fatigue. ;)

The bottom line:

This is definitely one of the exceptions to my non-foody scents rule. It smells exactly like what I'd hoped for. Definitely a keeper. Don't be afraid of the goat butter. It's indistinguishable from BPAL's "regular" butter note to my nose and blends in seamlessly with all the other scents to make the perfect buttermilk pancake scent.

A really literal interpretation! Seriously, it smells exactly like pancakes and berry syrup so much that I almost forgot it was perfume and started sniffing around the house for a trace of pancakes on the griddle when I realized the tantalizing aroma was coming from me. Whatever the "goat butter" is (and I can't stand goat cheese), it behaves, and lets the warm fluffy pancakes and dark berry syrup take center stage. This might be one of those that some people would think is too close to actual food to wear as perfume, but I'm the type who wears those anyway. ;)

I wanted to love this. Unfortunately, the pancake is what amps--it smells almost yeasty/bready. Plain pancakes are great on the griddle, but not on my body all day long.

I ADORE this scent!! Every time I wear it people start getting hungry- LOL! I constantly get comments on how yummy this smells. The boysenberry syrup is really the kicker for this one, mixed with the utterly comforting scent of buttermilk pancakes!

I recently unearthed this bottle and gave it a spin to receive a bevy of lovely compliments! This is a sultry sweet vanilla, with a smoky quality. I do not notice any berry-ness. Highly recommended for you sweet vanilla addicts!

It doesn't smell like pancakes to me. It smells like smoky corn syrup. It's not buttery, berry, or cloying.