Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wl552

MVJBA: Summer Summoning Spectacular

Scorched baseball fields, black glots of incense, spilled coffee, and pancake residue.

In the bottle-- caramel syrup and pancakes, maybe a twinge of coffee.

On-- sweet green grass with pancakes and syrup, and maybe a bit of coffee. This reminds me of Possets Queen of the Night, with the fresh green smell layered over a deep foody, cakey smell, although the two are completely different perfumes. Over all, I love this and it smells really beautiful. A nice spring and summer scent! Edited by Shollin

I got the pancakes in the imp... and I really wanted them to stay around. Unfortunately this is one of the morphiest BPAL's I've ever tried. I am not exactly sure what I got on my skin, but it didn't make me happy. Sort of a green sharp smell is the best way I can describe it. Definitely back into the swap pile!

The 'black glots of incense' scared me off trying this for quite some time. I shouldn't have worried, I don't get any incense at all, nor any coffee (sad!). I do get lots of sour, scorched fields, and then yummy, sticky pancake syrup. This is more like what I expected from Pancake Breakfast. I'm glad I gave this one a chance.

In the imp, this was smoky and strange-- actually, I was very concerned about this scent on first sniff. It does have that scorched grass note, which reminded me of how much Scarecrow and I did not get along...

On my skin, it's scorched grass. And that's it. Unlike Scarecrow, there's no overtones of acetone, just very realistic dried grass. I'm kind of disappointed, because I was really hoping for coffee :coffee: but I don't get any at all. But on the other hand, hey, scorched grass!

I'll keep this around for the time being.

Not sure how much I'll like the scent, but I discovered BPAL right after the MVJBA stuff came down and love the concept. Let's see if I love the scents just as much!

Imp: Delicious pancakes topped with maple syrup, grass clippings and neat smelling EVIL

Wet: Grass and incense instead of pancakes. Pretty fun, though. I guess the bitter tone is from the coffee?

Drydown: Green grass, something that I can't really describe, and the buttery goodness of pancakes

Overall: I swapped for a decant of this because I thought the concept was creative and funny. I never expected that the scent would be so wearable! I'd love to find a bottle of this. A fun, quirky summer scent. Here's hoping for another MVJBA season!

Finally, a summer scent! My "reach into the testing bag and pull out a random imp" strategy was not paying off, as I got Halloweenie after Halloweenie. In June.

Anyway, SSS smells...strange. It's definitely very grassy and sweet. I don't get any coffee or incense. Also, it's not grassy like a freshly-mown lawn, it's grassy like a meadow - I picture a field of long yellowish grass. I don't think I said grass enough in the previous sentence. Anyway, while this is definitely summery, maybe an August scent, it's not my thing.

I tried to guess the notes blindly on this one. I guessed:

summer (ha!), sun, sunflower, hay, dandelion, grass, carnation, spicey dry flowers, fig?, honey, vanilla, patchouli

At least I got the dry planty thing right, and maybe incense-y patchouli? HA. Trying to train your nose is really comical w/ BPAL. The notes are SO varied! :) I would never have thought of coffee but I can smell it now faintly. It reminds me of a cafe latte though, not black coffee.

I like this. it's kinda wierd and so well balanced. smells rich and full bodied. mellows out to be really nice and incensey. I'd hunt some down! smells like an indian summer. OOh now I want pancakes.

Wet: Dry fields, almost like celery. Resin in the background.

Dry: Fields fade away, pancake comes in, becomes sweet resin.

1hr later: Scent is fading into a very light coffee scent now. Lovely

:rantrave: Pine!! OMG NOoooooooo! I'm guessing the pine represents the scorched baseball fields? It was so overwhelming, it was almost to the point of making me nauseous. I thought I was going to have to wash it off. I hate the smell of pine on my skin.

But, I took a chance and luckily, the pine faded into the background. For a time it kinda reminded me of Gingerbread Poppet 2005? My years are starting to blur. I didn't get much of the coffee but incense & the pancake residue came shining through & it smells amazing! Thank Goddess! I thought this one was going to be a wash on me. :D

Pancake Breakfast is my ultimate foodie scent, and Summer Summoning Spectacular is the perfect alternative for days when you don't want to smell only like sticky syrup (although I am constantly layering Pancake Breakfast because it's fun to flavor my pancakes!). Sweet, with coffee and incense and hot, dry grass. :yum: This is going in my top ten. :wub2: I think there might be some vetiver in here, my usual death note, but this blend just makes it work.

Edited by Sultaana

In the imp: This smells just like McDonald's hotcakes with the butter and syrup on... omg... I LOVE PANCAKES.

Wet: Pancakes and coffee and incense and grass. GLORIOUS.

Dry: A sort of grassy incensey smell... WITH PANCAKES. As you can probably tell, my default state is barely containing the urge to eat my body weight in pancakes, so this proabably isn't the best perfume for my health... BUT I DON'T CARE, I MUST HAVE A BOTTLE OF THIS!

In the bottle: MAPLE SYRUP!!!! Seriously that is all I get from the bottle. It made me wary as I like sweet scents, but only when they're tempered with something less cloying.

On: The grassy feeling really comes out to play. It doesn't feel burnt to me, but rather dried like hay. It reminds me a little of visiting my grandparents' horses when I was little. The maple doesn't completely fade away, but lends a sweet edge to the brightness of the grass. If I really inhale I can get some scorched feeling, and a tiny bit of coffee, but I have to work really hard to get those notes. However, it seems that they ground the scent so that it isn't just a top note of grass and sugar.

I really like this. It was a little surprising considering my initial reaction from the bottle, but I think it is a lovely summer scent. It's inoffensive and light, but still very unique.

Impulsively picked a bottle of this as part of a multiple-bottle purchase from another forumite.

SO. GLAD.

Sniffing the bottle, I just get sweet maple syrup deliciousness, and indeed when I put it on, that is a big part of the throw that I get throughout. As it starts to dry, when I sniff my skin, I get a bit of a grassy smell... but nothing burning/scorched (I was a bit worried, tbh, and apparently for no reason). After a couple of hours, when I sniff my wrist I smell incense that would be very dry except for a lingering syrup sweetness that just turns it into a balanced delight.

A new favorite.

Grassy pancakes! Wtf?! :lol:

Drying, it's really nice. It smells of a subtle blend of the grassyness, pancakes, and coffee. This is one of those blends that is just downright hard to describe.

Part of me wants this to just smell like pancakes and coffee, but the other part likes the weird green grassy note... it's making the scent very unique.

So, I like it, but my nose is still like, w t heck?! Will be retesting as I can see myself loving this easily, as soon as I wear it a bit more.

Edited by MiasmaResonance

How did I not know about this until now!? ;)

In bottle: I get zero food. Most mention pancakes, but all I smell is a very, very light grass....or field, if you like. :)

On skin: Still getting that neat field smell....there is something kind of perfume-y there.

Dry down: Not sure what I am getting... still not getting pancakes or coffee out of this. I was kind of hoping to, but all it is as of now is a little bit of a cologne and field. Was hoping for more of a foody-ish blend that everyone else was getting. Sad.

Smoky grass covered in sticky maple syrup and faint traces of coffee. This is kinda weird. One minute it's foodie and the next it's grass. Definitely a morpher on me. I didn't get any incense at all and none of the pancakes themselves, just the syrup. Probably the worst pancake scent I have tried, but it is interesting enough to keep.