Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stephl

Play-Doh smell -- should I dilute?

Hi, all --

I'm new to BPAL and this forum. I received my first order this week -- imp's ears of Loviatar, Hellfire, Black Lotus, Bruja, Queen Mab, and Lightning (plus freebies of Obeah and Nine Mysteries).

I have highly acidic skin (or perspiration) -- bugs never bite me, honestly, and I can't wear watches with metal bands any more, because the underside of the band becomes all corroded after only a few months of wear.

I've always been able to wear eau de parfum/eau de toilette sprays from makers such as Liz Claiborne and CK, and the scents don't radically change throughout the day. I also have been able to wear a blend I made myself of sandalwood oil from The Body Shop and lavender oil from a small store near me, and that scent doesn't change throughout the day.

And then I received my BPAL order. So far I've worn Loviatar, Lightning, and Queen Mab (each on a different day, not combined!), and within 30-60 minutes of application, each scent had changed to a Play-Doh-like scent.

I know that different scents will react differently with different people, and I expected that. But I didn't expect each scent to turn to Play-Doh.

I don't think those 3 scents -- Loviatar, Lightning, and Queen Mab -- have any notes in common, so I don't know if a note is really fighting with me or not.

I'm wondering if the oils might just be too strong for me straight out of the imps, and if my problem might be solved by diluting the oils in a carrier oil.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new to this too and don't know too much about anything yet, really, but I wonder if those scents that you tried all had any common ingredients? If so, perhaps something in them specifically doesn't agree with you, and you got lucky enough to get a bunch with the same ingredient. Check the notes for each one and see if you see any similarities?

Also, I found that one oil I got in a swap smells a little better on me if I cut it a bit with the vitamin E oil I use on my skin regularly. I just put on a dab and then slater the area with E oil, spreading it around. So it's possible that cutting it with something will change things...but I'm not sure if there's a better way. I'm sure someone else will have suggestions, though :P

Oh, oops - I just saw that you already said you checked for similiarities. I don't know how I totally missed that the first time. Sorry about that :P

Unseelie & Persephone turn Play-doh on me. There aren't any common ingredients listed so the only thing I can figure is that there is some sort of base oil used. The BPAL website says that the fragrances are 85-100% perfume oil, which makes me think there is a carrier oil used. That or the secret 15% is eau de 'Doh :P

The funny thing is that I actually LIKE the smell of Play-Doh -- but only from the actual Play-Doh! If I'm wearing a scent that doesn't have eau de 'Doh (heh -- that's hilarious!), then I want to smell like whatever scent it is.

I have very corruptive chemistry, too. I don't know if it's acidic or not, but at least 90% of the scents I try do not work for me, and the most popular scents seem to be the worst on me. I e-mailed the lab at one point, and it turns out a lot of the scents have musk in them even though musk is not listed as an ingredient. In my case, musk seems to be the ingredient that morphs scents into a hideous baby powder smell. I end up kicking myself every time I go ahead and try a scent with dark musk, because it happens every time. Once you've tried all your imps, you may want to e-mail the lab and ask what they think. Beth is always very generous with info of this sort.

How funny--Play Doh! I've heard a couple of others mention this too, and I think this is what Vice smells like on me. In the bottle, lovely and chocolate, but when I wore it a couple of times, I smelled like a doll I used to have--plastic-y and sort of like Play Doh.

I'd try another couple of rounds of imps before swearing them off, and then maybe wear the BPAL oils in scent lockets or in your hair?

and within 30-60 minutes of application, each scent had changed to a Play-Doh-like scent

I thought it was just me!! :D Sin is most especially a "play-doh-er" on me, so is Snake Oil..*sigh* I know those have a common note, I can smell it for sure; just don't know what it is yet.

Unfortunately, the scent of playdoh makes me extremely nauseous so I try to avoid it where possible.

I haven't tried any of the scents you listed, but I'll be sure to approach them cautiously now! :D

smelled like a doll I used to have--plastic-y

I've also had this happen (goddamned skin) with Tintagel and Blood. Better be sure I'm swapping those out eventually. :P

The famous "Play Doh" scent (we discuss this a lot on another fragrance board I post on) is actually almond.

Lots of perfumes apparantly have the Play Doh thing.

that makes sense about the almonds, and would explain why dana o'shee turned doh on me. But honestly, the smell is actually starting to grow on me, doh or no.

Hmm... Dana O'Shee, Queen of Sheba, and O all went play doh when they were on my skin (though O was by far and away the biggest culprit). Now I know why! I was beginning to think it was the honey note.

The famous "Play Doh" scent (we discuss this a lot on another fragrance board I post on) is actually almond.

Maybe for everyone else, but on me almond completely disappears. :D

Black Musk and possibly Red Musk are actually the "play doh" culprit for me. :P

Edited by Sara

I have gotten the play-doh smell before, and so I generally just avoid those scents that give me such an impression.

HOWEVER.... I just bought a 5ml of snake oil after trying the imp and loving, loving, loving it- both in the imp and on me. Last night I put it on, and.... I got the doh!!!

Is this some weird monthly chemistry thing? or something I never noticed before? I find it hard to believe I wouldn't have noticed it, and even harder to believe I am imagining the play-doh smell ( two other people smelled it on me, too)

I don't know what to do! I love snake oil too much to not wear it- should I cut it with another perfume? Wear lotion? Not wear snake oil until it has aged?

Do you guys think it will pass in a few days, or am I in a real chemistry bind- basically , has anyone else gotten a TEMPORARY doh?

Yes, I've gotten a temporary doh from Snake Oil.

Turned out my Snake oil was too new. The older the oil aged, the less play-doh came to play.

Chemistry (and that time of the month) is also a factor for me.

Snake Oil does this for me at certain times of the month. It does it less now that my bottle has aged (check out the aging thread for more info). Try Snake Oil again in a week or so, and keep the bottle around. It'll get less play-dohish and more sweet / well-blended as time goes by (at least in my opinion). Good luck! :P

Snake Oil does this for me at certain times of the month. It does it less now that my bottle has aged (check out the aging thread for more info). Try Snake Oil again in a week or so, and keep the bottle around. It'll get less play-dohish and more sweet / well-blended as time goes by (at least in my opinion). Good luck!  :P

Mwah! Many thanks for your knowledge and good wishes!!!! I think your advice gives me the most hope :D

Yes, I've gotten a temporary doh from Snake Oil.

Turned out my Snake oil was too new. The older the oil aged, the less play-doh came to play.

Chemistry (and that time of the month) is also a factor for me.

That makes perfect, prefect sense. The imp I tried was tarted- i didn't even think of its age!

Thank you very much!!!

Yep, there are certain times of the month when I can't wear Snake Oil, too - it turns ubersweet and doughy.

I would maybe suggest waiting a few days and trying again, it could definitely be a chemistry thing.

ETA: Of course I'm slow and a gazillion people have replied the same thing in the meantime. D'oh! :P

Yep, there are certain times of the month when I can't wear Snake Oil, too - it turns ubersweet and doughy. 

I would maybe suggest waiting a few days and trying again, it could definitely be a chemistry thing.

ETA:  Of course I'm slow and a gazillion people have replied the same thing in the meantime.  D'oh!  :P

lol, no problem. the more play-doh girls, the better!!

I am happy to let snake oil sit for a few days now that I know it may make a huge difference. It's not like there aren't others to love in the meantime :D

Thanks for your advice!

I get a partial Play Doh smell with Snow White. I didn't realize the Play Doh scent was almonds. Some oils I can easily detect the almond in them without smelling the Play Doh. Huh. Interesting. :P

For me honey = Play-Doh. Every single scent with honey no matter what the other ingredients turns to Play-Doh :P

Most of the people I know who've tried O get the play-doh effect to some degree... on me it's slight, on one of my friends, it's "play-doh and happy little ferrets." :P There have been a few others (Hollywood Babylon was "play-doh and bandaids, and Spooky was minty play-doh on me), but O has been the universal play-doh in my group of friends.

As for almonds being the culprit - nope, not on my skin. The almond-based scents smell nauseatingly... well, *almond* on me, then thankfully morph to baby powder (which ain't great, but to me, it's better than reeking of cyanide!).

To the original poster, you might also try making a spray with perfumer's alcohol, since you've been able to wear commercial sprays. Also, whether in a spray or oil form, perhaps try a smidge in your hair, where your skin chemistry won't muck about with it.

My tuppence worth is...if almond IS the culprit, it would explain the Doh elemnt in otherwise seemingly unrelated scents, as Almond oil is one of the most popular carrier oils.

Regards.