Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stephl

Play-Doh smell -- should I dilute?

This is a problem I seem to have with a number of scents. The ones I really like I now use in a scent locket and I have been deliriously happy with it.

I get play-doh and plastic notes from the sweeter vanilla scents - antique lace, velvet, etc.

almonds and musks are fine on me.

I hear that vanilla gets better with age - will aging these bottle for a few months or even a year help cut down on the play-doh note? Has anybody tried this?

These are what turn play-doh on me, too. Dorian, Antique Lace, Snake Oil. And I have a tarted imp (5yo) of Snake Oil that's as guilty as the rest, so the aging hasn't toned down the play-doh factor in that case. :cry2: Non-sugary vanillas don't turn. Vanilla musk doesn't. Those are delicious! Honey is fine. Caramel is fine. Bien Loin D'Ici has both and that one doesn't go anywhere near play-doh.

I'm inclined to blame it on the sugar, on me.

So far, too, I haven't liked any of the sweet/sugar ones well enough (except for SO, and then not all-that) to buy a scent locket or something.

I had my first Play-Doh experience earlier this month with Tamora [which is very vanilla on me]. It wasn't intense, but it was unmistakably, if subtly, present in the drydown.

There are two potential culprits/outliers. There is a chance that I had a bit of triclosan soap residue on my wrist at the time, since the Better Fraction was unable to find our regular non-antibacterial soap and refilled the pump before I could be informed.

My wrists hold onto amber/resin/incense notes long after the rest of the oil fades and gets showered away. [i will be investigating the Cetaphil trick, thanks, Indig0!] I had been wearing Lights of Men's Lives [also very vanilla on me] and The Chicken-Legged Hut the previous days, and remember still having a little of the 'burnt' note residue from one or both of them.

This thread is pretty amazing, just thought I would add my experience.

I had my first Play-Doh experience earlier this month with Tamora [which is very vanilla on me]. It wasn't intense, but it was unmistakably, if subtly, present in the drydown.

There are two potential culprits/outliers. There is a chance that I had a bit of triclosan soap residue on my wrist at the time, since the Better Fraction was unable to find our regular non-antibacterial soap and refilled the pump before I could be informed.

My wrists hold onto amber/resin/incense notes long after the rest of the oil fades and gets showered away. [i will be investigating the Cetaphil trick, thanks, Indig0!] I had been wearing Lights of Men's Lives [also very vanilla on me] and The Chicken-Legged Hut the previous days, and remember still having a little of the 'burnt' note residue from one or both of them.

This thread is pretty amazing, just thought I would add my experience.

Re-reading the Cetaphil post, I realized that I did not clarify which Cetaphil to use. I use the normal to dry skin formula-- not the soapier one for oily skin. It makes a difference. The bottles look almost exactly the same, so make sure to read the label before you grab one. :)