Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Splendid Molerat

Tzadikim Nistarim

… The scent is one of unadulterated spiritual purity, with a taste of the world's eternal pathos, and the joy of suffering with grace: frankincense, olive, spikenard, hyssop and galangal.

Tzadkim Nistarim is my go to scent when I need to calm down or am feeling panicky. (and panic attacks are the bane of my existence) It has this wonderful calming effect that I can't quite explain, as if it almost belongs in the TAL catalog. Seriously. Not to mention the incredibly gorgeous scent that wafts the second you anoint yourself. For me, wearing TN is a right a passage. Like others, I was drawn to it by the description of the Just Men. Beth's description swept me right in and then, once I had an imp in my possession and smelled the scent itself, not to be overly dramatic, but I really felt a moment of spiritual clarity. The scent is so pure, but I too, get this ancient vibe. As if I could be walking the streets of the Holy Land 2000 years ago wearing this. It is the perfect scent to use while praying or meditating. I also apply it before bedtime and sleep like a baby.

While I'm normally a fan of the darker juices like Aperotos Eros, Vixen, Satyr, Snake Oil, etc., this one just pleases me in such a way and calms me to the core, it's in my top 3 favorite Bpal. Now that's saying a great deal.

Regarding lasting power, I put it on after bathing at bedtime (I apply an unscented body lotion from Aveeno) and I can still smell it the next morning. I just love it so much. I really, really, do. :wub2:

I had to purchase a bottle and see many more 5ml's in my future.

Thank you for the frimp, labbies!

In the imp: Wow, this is surprisingly feminine and floral and bright. It reminds me of White Shoulders or some other classic perfume like that. I was expecting something deep and dark and mysterious - perhaps a masculine incensey smell - from the description. Which would have been interesting and nice, but for me this is even better - truly beautiful!

On me, wet: On my skin it's much more interesting and complex. And yes, mysterious, although still beautiful in a sparkly, happy, kind of way. There is a note of fruitiness (from the spikenard), which isn't foody at all. And a bit of saltiness. Together with a lot of sweetness from the florals. It doesn't smell like White Shoulders anymore, but is something much more unique. I can't ID any other of the notes because I don't notice any frankincense yet, and I don't know what the other things smell like. I totally get the spiritual purity. Pathos and suffering, not so much. Although the saltiness could be tears. But overall, this scent conveys sunniness and optimism to me. But then, it does say joy and grace in suffering, and I do get the joy and grace part!

After 15 minutes: Pretty much the same, although the brightness has settled down somewhat. There's also a strange coppery undertone which for some reason I associate with the olive, but that doesn't seem to make any sense. Nor do any of the other ingredients seem to indicate a metallic note. Very mysterious! I am ambivalent about the coppery note - on the one hand, it is interesting and makes this fragrance very unusual. But on the other hand, it's a bit off-putting, like a hint of the smell of blood. I definitely love all the other notes in this blend.

After 40 minutes: Softer, and maybe a little powdery now (which is actually pleasant for the additional softness it adds), but still basically the same fragrance.

After 1 hour: The saltiness and most of the metallic note has gone now, which makes it smell like White Shoulders again.

From there, it fades away without any more changes. I never did specifically smell the frankincense.

My rating: 4.5 stars

(Edited to correct a typo.)

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

In Imp: It is light and all, but honestly my first impression is Pez and bubble formula. 00000288.gif My poor nose gets really strange first impressions. Keep on huffing... and clean, slightly spicey, sharply floral. It truly does have a calming effect. I have to admit that I really don't know what any of the notes smell like on their own except olive and (to an extent), frankincense.

Wet: Gains a lot more fruitiness once it hits my skin. The olive lends a little earthiness. Oooh, it keeps getting sweeter too, and a distinct brightness begins to glisten through. Mmm.

Drydown: It continues to round out, becoming bright, soft and earthy, a bit of fruitiness. I love what the olive lends to this; it's a green, fresh, young olive and it really brings everything together. It's like the ribbon tying together all the separate elements.

Verdict: This is really nice. I'd like to try it as my actual perfume one day (today I'm spot testing, so it's not getting the space to spread out like it should.) I never would have guessed how nice this is from the notes or smelling it in the imp. aroused.gif

A generous forumite sent this to me in a swap. She must have been psychic! I've wanted to try this for ages. :wub2:

Imp: A piercingly sweet honey smell (that would be the spikenard) layered over green woody incense-notes. (Olive, hyssop, galangal.) No frankincense as yet. It's very strong but also very well-blended, gorgeous, and soothing. The sweet + woods + incense gives the whole thing a slightly nutty or grainy feel.

Wet: Incredible sweet green honey and incense and I know now what that honey note in Anubis was-- spikenard! Tzadikim Nistarim is most definitely in the same family. It's almost milky in a plant way, like freshly snapped green stems, backed by beautiful frankincense. The overall effect is kind of like... bananas? :eek: Damn! Yes! Bananas! But... but... not quite bananas. Half bananas, half a perfect glowing scent combining the best of greenery and the best of incense. The throw is less bananas but up close, it's a pretty good imitation. :lol: I... just... don't even know!

Dry: Sweet, incensey banana bread. I actually really like it but I'm not sure I can get past the banana bread association. If one ignores that, this is Anubis's wintertime brother, a softly spiced, incense-rich, heady honeyed blend full of floating green notes, with an added hint of blown-out candles and wax. It's tremendously lovely and, depending on the bananas, I may even spring for a bottle.

I don't know what I could add that others haven't already said. This is on my short list for my first actual lab purchase, this and The White Rider.

I like what most people have had to say. The meaning behind it, the ancient uses for the herbs in it, the final scent being a perfect mix of herbs, frankincense and honey. I didn't know that about spikenard, although I did know about the 36.

Herbal, but balanced, not sharp and green, but not dry either. Mature. With that, the olive tries to take it more sharp, the frankincense tries to take it more sweet. This is a perfect description of the 36. Pulled in both directions, but maintaining the balance.

This is a holy blend. I wear it with humility and strength, and with a purpose. It should be in a separate section of sacred scents, the way the voodoo ones and the TAL ones are separated out.

Wet: Gentle. Sort of fruity.

Drydown: Pale and slightly spicy. A touch sweet. Warm, comforting frankincense steps to the front. A touch of clean herbal-ness from the hyssop appears behind that.

Dry: It’s hard to pinpoint any one note. It smells somewhat like a cross between The Robotic Scarab and Defututa. Pale, sweet, smoky, clean, resinous, & comforting.

7 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

This is divine. Sweet frankincense melded with smooth olive and sweet gingery and slightly resinous galangal.

It's had a woody and creamy characteristic, and pale incense backdrop over sweet olive and hyssop.

It's really gorgeous and sophisticated smelling. It smells expensive. I'm doomed. I need a bottle of this. This is perfection.

ITI: It's more airy than I hand anticipated. I was dreading the spikenard, but the frankincense and galangal seem to take the show at this point.

Wet: There is a little bit of spikenard up front, but at least it isn't doing odd things yet with the frankincense and galangal. There is just a touch of hyssop and olive, but they are undertones at best.

Dry: I wish the frankincense was more prominent, but the hyssop has emerged and melded with the galangal and spikenard to form something that reminds me of grandma's perfume.

There's nothing I can add as far as descriptions go, slightly fruity, sweet, deep....for me, this is the first bpal I've tried that's been absolutely perfect on me from start to finish. It's joy and suffering combined, it smells ancient and contemporary. On me, it smells extremely feminine and sexy. I'm getting a bottle.

:wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

It's spicy and earthy. I'm not getting any of the fruity notes other people have mentioned. It's also surprisingly masculine, in a way. I think this is going to be one of those scents that I like more each time I wear it.

In the imp: Very faint, slightly fruity.

Wet on my skin: Oddly candy-like. It smells like something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...some sort of powdery fruit candy.

Dry: This is very faint on my skin, but I distinctly smell the frankincense and something sweetly fruity/floral. It's not as herbal as I was hoping for, and fades very quickly. I think I'll need to let this age a while and see if it strengthens.

In the imp: Bubblegummy frankincense?!

Wet: Same, the frankincense is the stronger scent.

Dry: This faded SO quickly on me, all that's left is a scent like Juicy Fruit gum after you've chewed it a good while.

This is quite the collection of notes! Some great on me, others that I don't care for. I'm curious about the galangal, as I've only used it in cooking, and to me it's always smelled like a more medicinal ginger.

Wet: Bubblegum. Huh? As I glance up the page, I see I'm not the only one who has thought that...but still, huh? I have no idea what in this would read as bubblegum, or even fruit, or candy. This is kind of lotus like. Totally not what I was expecting, I am not getting any of the listed notes except for hints of hyssop.

Dry: I am still struggling to wrap my head around how that collection of notes smells like soapy aquatic floral/bubblegum on my arm. There's gotta be some lotus hiding in there....

While closing the imp, some of it sprayed in my mouth; I wouldn't advise this to anyone.

ANYWAY,

this reminds me of some sort of candy that I can't come up with, but I do notice the olive in there as a good supporting note.. and what's that, melon? This is kinda confusing to my brain. A creamy lollypop with just a touch of dark green somewhere in the background. On my skin it gets a little more grittier and earthy. I don't understand how I got there from the description but it's definately not unpleasant!

I love this. I grew up in a desert, and TN somehow feels like a vision of justice and wholeness in the desert.

The frankincense is a resinous, desert-y anchor for the sweetness in all the other good things. This is my first experience with spikenard, which is definitely not to be missed. I was blown away by a frimp, and promptly bought a bottle. TN is unique, and elevating, and pleasurable.

The first impression of Tzadikim on my skin is of a sweet and lightly floral olive. Then I get a gingery twist from the galangal. I was expecting a wave of frankincense, but I'm not getting that at all in the early stage. Tzadikim doesn't change much on me through its life, except that its frankincense comes out after a couple hours.

Tzadikim is beautifully done, especially once the frankincense comes out to balance the sweetness. However, though I can appreciate olive in fragrances, it's not quite what I want on my skin. I'll enjoy the imp over time, but I don't see myself applying this often. If you enjoy olive, this is definitely one to try.

I dont know where the sweetness is coming from, but this is definutely sweeter then I thought it would be.

The Tzadikim Nistarim protect a nation persecuted by enemies. They are the righteous ones, the chosen of the lord, but too humble and virtuous to make such a claim, they remain forever concealed.

Not sure how to capture that in a perfume.

I was expecting more frankincense, more resin and depth - maybe the frankincense and other notes would be detectable when slathered, but I did only a skin test out of an imp, and got a dominant slightly aquatic sweet note. Which I find puzzling, but still a beautiful blend. Will use up the imp for sure.

This seemed like an appropriate scent to test on Yom Kippur, so I broke up my 'weenie-testing regimen to make room for it.

In the imp/wet - fresh, plant-like but not quite "green" - more like plant sap than stems/leaves.

Freshly applied - Once on my skin, it's more complex than in the imp, and I can smell hints of resin, but the dominant notes are the fresh/plant-sap-like scent along with something herbal and spicy (kitchen herbs spicy rather than cinnamon/cloves/fall craft store spice). It's a really unique scent, somehow outdoorsy as well as solemn/religious-feeling.

Half-hour in - Alas, the herbal/spicy notes fade quickly, and by a half-hour in it's mostly frankincense, though a lighter frankincense than most of the incense/resin blends I wear, possibly because in those it's usually paired with myrrh. (ETA: and it stays a light frankincense for the next several hours. I'll have to try it in my hair to see if the olive and hyssop are stronger that way, since I'm assuming those and the galangal are what I was smelling during the wet stage)

Edited by Elspethdixon

I knew I was going to love this because I had ordered an imp from a forumite once and he packaged them up and the next morning found that Tzadikim Nistarim had leaked all over everything else, so he didn't send it but the other imp labels smelled fantastic. But of course that didn't mean it would work on my skin. Happily, it does -- I tried it for the first time this morning.

I expected incense -- didn't check the notes beforehand. I could sense something almost citrusy, which I assume is the galangal, and something like a very green new olive oil. Still not sure what spikenard is or what it smells like, and the hyssop was never very strong. But the blend is beautiful. Although the citrusy character faded somewhat, this remained a brighter incense blend than most. Not a lot of throw but at least average wear length on me. This has vaulted into my list of absolute favorites. And I love the tale of the Just Ones, sort of like Jewish bodhisattvas, dedicated to helping humanity. Yes, it may be fun to wear Signior Dildo, but this is righteous, and beautiful.

In the imp: dry and herbal, almost grassy hyssop.

Wet: Hyssop and frankincense. Green incense

Dry: pretty much the same. Feels like a drying meadow.

I like to wear this scent when I'm right out of the shower, or lounging around the house. It's just comfortable for me. It also has my favorite inspiration out of any scent by BPAL. I thought I didn't like frankincense, and in everything else it really doesn't work chemically on my skin, but somehow this defies that, maybe it's a different type or is tempered by something else. Also I tried it aged a bit back and it didn't quite work either. Fresh though it is my favorite GC oil I think.

This is an odd one and a morpher. It starts out super bitter, then turns to wood and incense. One of the incensey notes is a sort of musky sweet note that I have smelled in exactly one other place: TAL Ascendancy. Checking the note list, I think it must either be the hyssop, or else a frankincense note unlike the Lab's usual frankincense. And then the wood fades out entirely, and a candy-sweet floral emerges--I can totally see where people are getting the fruit associations! It reads as a floral to me, though, like honeysuckle. Very pretty!

I love the concept, and it's an unusual blend with a TALish vibe. I'll be keeping the imp.

Frankincense and dark green things, drying to more floral, with some sweet candle wax type scent underlying. Smells like ritual, with that kind of heaviness - not a happy-go-lucky perfume scent.

This one starts off with frankincense and ginger-like galangal being the most prominent notes on me, but the olive and hyssop become more prominent with wear, making it an olive-y, herbal resinous scent. There was a point where I felt like I was getting something candy-like from this, and it was the most prominent note in the throw, but I am not sure if the spikenard or hyssop caused this or some combination of the notes. It's definitely unlike anything else I've tried from the Lab, but not something I could see myself wearing because of the prominence of the olive (which I think may be a green variety) after a few hours.

So, this will be fun. I don't know what 40% of the notes in this blend smell like. 

In the imp: Gently sweet and resinous. I can pick out the frankincense. 

On my skin:

Frankincense and another sweet note, with something classically bitter in the background. As it dries, the bitter, herbal note increases until it becomes the main note on my skin. 

Ultimately, this is thick and herbal and somber and almost oppressive. I do feel the "suffering" evocation from this scent, but I am missing the grace.