Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

For use only by women. An extremely potent passion blend, used to great effect when you're converting feminine sexual energy into power.

When this is wet it smells like peanuts to me. I have no idea why. Kind of salty and very nutty. Then it turns a bit murkier and thicker. There might be something like myrrh in it because I'm getting kind of a dark incense-like scent but it doesn't smell exactly like incense. There are some herbs in this too, but since I usually avoid herbs I'm not good at picking out most of them. Herbs have a tendency to smell sharp and astringent on me, and since there's an aspect to this that smells like that, I assume it's herbs. Could be a little bit of anise. Maybe a smidge of honey too, that could me what's making it smell thick to me.

Truth is, I have no idea what's in this. It's not really one of my favorite scents. But it certainly does smell bold and strong. As usual, this Voodoo Blend is not something I'd wear as perfume, but it does make me feel confident. I can certainly believe that it would be potent in ritual work. Edited by Shollin

this is a really interesting scent. at the beginning it smells exactly like one of lush bubble bars, but i can't remember which one. it's a very luscious scent, at first it's a cocoa-floral. the more it dries the more it opens up to reveal more. now there is a bit of an green scent, similar to pine or fir, but not as strong. also there is a weird coolness to this, perhaps a tiny hint of menthol? this scent is SO unique, i really like it!

Edited by theseagrows

(it's so funny to see the different takes on this blend scent-wise :D crazy skin chemistry!)

I don't particularly enjoy the scent of this actually. It's not unpleasant, but it wafts like mad, and the scent is bitter, herbal, and persistent on me. In fact, I think this is the BPAL blend that throws the most and lasts the longest on me ever (well out of the 41 I have tried so far lol). And I'm not one to throw and amp scents very much, so that's saying something.

But - hehe - I did not get this for the scent, I obviously got this impie for it's intent. I'm not very studied in terms of vodoo work, but I went with my intuition and put a bit on my head, throat and "heart" whilst getting dressed in the morning. I figured those were the points to use.

Overall I must say I did maybe experience some hightened levels of confidence, but I had also put on make-up etc. to go to class today, so I'm not sure if it was just due to Queen. I met a person in my class who always makes me feel somewhat inferior (I think his way of getting past his own insecurities is making others feel they are not "good enough" somehow, at least that is my interpretation of his vibes, although I don't think he does it intentionally, because he can also be quite nice).

I can't say Queen helped me feel hard and cool like a block of ice :D in the situation where I had to deal with this guy today, but who knows, perhaps it did have some effect in the sense that I could have left class feeling worse, or perhaps his perception of me was "better" than I imagine, which obviously I'll never find out... =)

(in any case I should probably not care what he thinks, something I am working on)

[ETA: Come to think of it, he did actually compliment my looks :P but we do also have - ahem - a slight history]

In conclusion: Maybe this blend is (even) more effective when it is used in a specific ritual aiming to transform the feminine sexual energy into power in a specific situation? I just put some on and went out after all. (I did think with intent on the purpose of the blend while I was applying, but I did not do a ritual with specific results in mind) - So there you have it. :) I guess I'll save it for when I really need it or something.

(/whew. end lengthy review post)

Edited by Browneyes

I'm fond of this one and I miss it terribly since I only had one imp of it and that broke... I'm considering a big bottle but an imp might be enough to satisfy. A little certainly goes a long way, and I'm not convinced I could pull this one off on a daily basis.

Queen is exactly how I imagined voodoo to smell... it was one of the first BPALs I tried, and there's an appeal about it that no other scent I've tried since has duplicated for me, although I sometimes recognise elements of it in other blends. Very mysterious and powerful.

In the imp: I can't exactly place this note, but it's a woody one.

Wet: This is really driving me nuts...it's woody, but there are a few things going on here in the background. I'm surprised by how "masculine" this scent is on my skin; honestly, right now, it reminds me of Odin and Kathmandu.

Drydown and wear: As the scent dries down, the woodiness becomes a bit more powdery and resinous, and almost smells like sweetened incense. This is an interesting imp, and I'm going to have to spend more time with the scent.

In the imp: Lavender and something. Decidedly herby.

Wet: Woodsy, almost pine-like, with a touch of lavender in the background.

Drydown: There's something almost resinous about it, but for the most part, the herby aspect of this oil, almost tree sap-like in quality, tends to dominate the blend.

It's not something I'd wear as a perfume. For practice, though, that's another consideration entirely. I haven't tested this with intent yet, so I won't comment on the oil's effectiveness.

I'm horrible with defining individual notes in perfume but for me this blend... I was literally bowled over. I spilled some on my computer and bed before recaping. This blend is overpowering - a sickly rosey flavor to me. I couldn't bear to test it on myself but I seriously admire anyone who CAN wear it!

I managed to spill this one too...

Bottle: Woah, sharp. I think there's vetiver in there somewhere.

Wet: Chocolate? A complicated scent. I'm really not getting the "girl" vibe that most people get though.

Drydown: Gets a little nicer, a nice blend of some kind of sweet/foody thing under a sharper overtone (vetiver, clove or pepper).

Dry: Hasn't really changed from the drydown stage, and not really making me go "mmmm!". Off to the swap pile with you!

QueenSS.jpg

I needed Queen yesterday. I needed to be a powerful woman.

In the imp: Funnily enough, I wasn\'t all that impressed at first. Queen seemed a little \'meh\' in the bottle, just not much there to my nose.

Wet on skin: At first, still meh. But then things began to pick up. There was a lovely note of sweetness, floral I believe, at first. This was quickly bolstered by a strong note of something herbal, something powerfully herbal. Some before me have mentioned sage. I don\'t know for sure, as most of the sage I\'ve smelt lately was already burning :P and obviously I wasn\'t burning my preciouss!

Dry: Somewhat less astringent in smell, but still powerfully herbal with that overlaying gentle sweetness (iron hand in the velvet glove?), this isn\'t an easy oil to wear, especially if one was only looking to smell good. This, to me, is overwhelmingly an oil for a specific purpose, as is the intent of voodoo blends. This is empowering, uplifting - it puts fire in the belly, resolve in the mind.

Verdict: I only have an imp of this, but I\'m not sure I would need more at any given time, to be honest. This isn\'t the love potion, to use with whatever frequency one desires (/tongue in cheek), but for when one needs just that bit extra oomph. I want to always have an imp handy, but I think one or two imps would be all I need at once. And it worked for me yesterday. I freaking stood up for myself. Thanks, Queen. I\'m glad I have you.

Edited by stellans

In the imp: Sharp lavender

On Skin: Sharp lavender and pizza herbs. It's very herby. Slightly unpleasant.

On Drydown: The lavender fades and I get more of a warm herby sort of smell with perhaps a touch of almond. It's herby and bitter.

Verdict: I don't think this scent is for me at all. Most of the time I don't mind the way VD blends smell but I really don't enjoy this one.

In the imp this bright, strong and sweet, though I can't pick out individual notes and it takes a while for me to be able to distinguish much of anything when I first apply it, though when I do there's honey, pepper and a green herbal scent along with the slightest feel of musk and the occasional whiff of something floral and something cocoa-like. It's absolutely lovely.

Unfortunately, less than twenty minutes in it's almost pure honey. The herbal note and the pepper try to reign it in for a bit, but they don't last long. The result being that I don't feel empowered so much as annoyed that my skin chemistry has turned yet another wonderful complex blend into Honey SN. :P

This was the first scent that I tried the seven imps in my initial BPAL order.

I really wanted to like it, and I've never been very sensitive to scent in general. But i have to say, I just can't wear this.

In the imp it was a little floral and a little herbal, feminine, but not too sweet. I liked it alright.

When first applied. Oh wow! The sneezing started, then the headache. I honestly can't tell you what it smelled like because I was miserable.

After about an hour or two the sneezing stopped and the headache went away. The scent was powdery and spicey... I didn't get anything floral anymore, or honey. It wasn't that bad but I did not feel powerful, I felt a little silly after the hour of sneezing honestly.

I wish I had liked it more, but it's now on its way through the postal service in my first swap, so we'll see what the mail brings me next.

In the imp: Amber, baby powder, and something bitter. I wish I knew what was in this one.

On, wet: Mm, it's getting sweeter and warmer, and the baby powder is fading. There's something in it that smells like it should make the back of my eyes sting.

Drying: Wow, this smells really good. Honey? I think I'm smelling honey. Warm and feminine, and definitely sexy. A little bit fruity too, but like a warm fruit - like coconut rum. Something spicy, too, and also earthy (almost like frsh cut grass). It keeps changing smells.

Dry: I like this way more than I initially thought I would. Yay for awesome frimps!

Final Verdict: I love it. I'll definitely use my imp, and I may have to order a bottle. :P

Edited by captainoats

Amazing scent, morphs majorly in each stage.

Wet in the bottle: sweet, honey, herb, sort of green and sharp

Wet on skin: roses and licorice. You would think that would be pukey but it isn't somehow, it is amazing. I really am liking this.

Early drydown is same, still roses and licorice but warmer

By 2 hours in, Queen is like roses dusted with powdery honey. If you have ever smelled "honey dust" by Kama Sutra, it reminds me of this but with rose and still the faintest whiff of licorice.

This is just fabulous. I swear, Beth has some sort of mojo -- she keeps sending me frimps that I would NEVER have chosen for myself and then they end up being some of my favorite scents and I go chase down bottles. Psychic marketing? :P

If you want a floral that feels womanly and regal but with an edge, you have to try Queen.

At first, this is chocolate, honey, herbs, and something a little sharper. Warm and yummy!

Final drydown is peppery white florals, which I had to wash off.

So I'll wear this for the lovely first stage and the voodoo, and then keep the voodoo and lose the scent :P

you guys are picking up things I have never smelled from it. I got it as an extra.

queen was incensey to me. I did get a whiff of this strange alluring property when I pulled the top out of the bottle to apply it to me. I did not like the smell though. it isin't really my kind of smell. too strong. I haven't tested the properties of it though, and I'm not sure if I will. maybe when I practice my tarot I will wear it. this might be a special occasion scent for me.

There's really nothing herbal about this scent for me, at least not after the first 60 seconds. I've got serious wood, dude :P Take that cedar (or maybe rosewood?) and run with it, baby! Fortunately, I love this kind of thing. I feel calmer and more commanding when I have it on as well. Queen makes it as a big bottle winner.

Name: Queen

Bottle: Food scent, a sweet Indian or creole flavor. Peanutty and sweet.

Wet: Toffee peanuts but spicey with incense -– in a good way.

Dry: Mmm…yummy. The incensey toffee peanuts deepen – roasted toffee peanuts!

Furthermore: This is a scent I really love on me; It's food and incense, certainly complex. Although it reminds me of toffee peanuts, it's actually more complex than that - spicier and incensey. Will get a bottle!

ETA 6/22/07: Really loving this scent. The more I wear it the more I love it! And as far as transforming sexual energy into power; I did sense an intensity of focus when I needed it the other day within moments of smelling Queen. I also have noticed an overall boost of (dignified :P ) exuberance when I apply it. I love her & she loves me!!

Edited by LunaClaire

In the vial:

Smooth, creamy

On me:

It's funny to read what other people are getting, because it seems this blend gives everyone a different impression. I do get a hint of what I believe is cherry - it just adds a slight sweetness to this, but other than that, this is a smooth, warm incense/skin scent. Musky and with a touch of something woody (not cedar, because I'm not getting overwhelming cedar at all here) - maybe rosewood?

Final note:

A very pleasant blend - smooth and warm and kind of sexy and comforting at the same time. I really like this!

In the bottle, my first impression was that it smelled sort of like... grandma? On me, initially, it was grandma and maybe soap.

After 5 or 10 minutes, it started to smell like... licorice? Anise? I'm not very good at this. Then it went sort of powdery on me but still smelled like... I think anise. I used this sparingly because I wasn't sure I would like the smell.

Edited because I re-tried this blend yesterday...

I don't know why, but this time, it was totally different on me. Maybe it's because it was that time of month this time, but if so, I need to buy a full bottle of this just to wear that time of month. It smelled really pretty--sort of musky (and a little powdery or incense-y, but in a good way), sexy and commanding, like the name implies. I also noticed increased confidence and mental clarity all day while wearing it.

My husband liked it, too.

Edited by n3m3sis42

Lab frimp.

Wet, this is smooth and sweet with something spicy underneath. The spiciness is promptly over-run by a honey note on my skin. There's no list to check if honey is a component, but whatever the honey note is, it's reminding me of O. And that's not a good thing for me.

There's a little herbal tang in there, and the worrying honey-note subsides on the dry-down. An incense (and or musk?) note kicks in and at this point it's quite nice. Something floral lurks.

Then powder. There's no way this is going to play nicely with me at all

Off it comes.

Wow. Just...wow. This was the first imp I tried from a recent six-imp Voodoo purchase, and I am suitably impressed.

It's hard to say exactly how it smelled in the bottle, as I'd just received an order with 14 imps and was sniffing all of them. My nose was a but overwhelmed! But something- not sure what- persuaded me to pick Queen to wear today.

Wet, it seemed very quiet. Both my husband and I thought it was almost...timid. A soft, slightly powdery floral, with very little throw.

Upon drydown, Queen changed completely. "Quiet" is the last word I would use- the throw is incredible! I didn't get the peppery scent others have mentioned, or any other foody-type scent. On me, Queen is more of a spicy, musky, heady floral. The only note I can pick out specifically is sandalwood, but I'm not a good "note-finder".

Queen is strong, regal...the sort of scent that makes you walk with your back straight and your head high. Seven hours after applying it, I'm still catching strong whiffs of it, and I still love it. I may buy a big bottle, but I have the feeling the imp is going to last a looong time.

Edited, 18th of October: I got a chance to wear this again (I have waaay too many imps, people!) and I still adore it. However, after spending the whole day thinking to myself "You smell fabulous", I shoved my wrist at my husband, who went "Ew", and when I mentioned that I was thinking of buying a big bottle, he said: "Don't."

I nearly cried. Seriously. I love it, he hates it. I can't understand how it could smell totally different to him than it does to me.

Edited by lilirose

This just smells so strange and wrong on my skin. It smells slightly nutty.. like peanut butter, bitter, herbal and just strange. :P . Really not the kind of thing I'd want to smell like. It's not repulsive but it's just not my idea of perfume. As for the effects I'd be too conscious of smelling strange to convert my power whilst wearing this! It has a massive amount of throw so if you like this then it's great but for me not so great. I think this will be put in the to-be-frimped pile!

Starts with hair spray, which fortunately fades quickly. Oh, now it has a nice dryness, with a tad of floral. Keep

Amazing scent, morphs majorly in each stage.

Wet in the bottle: sweet, honey, herb, sort of green and sharp

Wet on skin: roses and licorice. You would think that would be pukey but it isn't somehow, it is amazing. I really am liking this.

Early drydown is same, still roses and licorice but warmer

By 2 hours in, Queen is like roses dusted with powdery honey. If you have ever smelled "honey dust" by Kama Sutra, it reminds me of this but with rose and still the faintest whiff of licorice.

This is just fabulous. I swear, Beth has some sort of mojo -- she keeps sending me frimps that I would NEVER have chosen for myself and then they end up being some of my favorite scents and I go chase down bottles. Psychic marketing? :P

If you want a floral that feels womanly and regal but with an edge, you have to try Queen.

I agree with all of the points above. I think the resiny, sweet, smokey smell folks are getting could be myrh, but I could be dead wrong. Its like DBR, chocolate and blackened cherry. I catch traces of rose and a green herbal, perhaps lavender weaving thru various stages of the morphology. Like most of the vooddoo blends, it amazes me how seemingly vast different notes can be blended so smoothly. Sexy and sweet but not cloying is the general impression. I agree that the aromatherapy aspect (voodoo vibe) is empowering--it made me want to boss folks around.

Overall I liked it, possibly bottle-worthy.