Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

For use only by women. An extremely potent passion blend, used to great effect when you're converting feminine sexual energy into power.

in the bottle: wow, i'm not sure if i'm going to like this one. this is very mature, which is a good thing, but it isn't something i want to wear. i can't even place what it smells like. i want to try this on just to see if it's the same in the bottle, but i have titania on! and i love titania! oh well. maybe just a wee bitty dab?

wet: this one smells like curry, fried rice, and heavy baby powder. weird? definitely. i didn't dab much on, i just put a tiny swipe on my finger. oh, oh, oh! now why am i getting the impression that this scent belongs to the 80's? seriously. i'm not sure what's wrong with me, but it strongly reminds me of 80's movies.

dry: this doesn't smell that bad anymore. unfortunately, the baby powder is still there. this does seem powerful, but it's in that 80's power perfume kind of way, like poison. only.. it smells nothing like poison at all. less chemically and all that jazz. the sentiment behind it is still there.

i'm not sure if i like this one very much on my skin. granted, it doesn't smell the same as it did in the bottle, and i'm not getting the curry and fried rice feel from it, but this is very powdery on me. i tried this one on with an open mind; it's just not working with me. i'll try it again later in a bigger area to see if the scent does anything else, but if it doesn't work for me, then i'm probably going to put it in the swap pile so someone else can try it. right now, it's all baby powder, with something kind of musky and sweet behind it.

Confusion on the description: This is only for women, but gender neutral? Not sure what that means.

In the bottle: Eh, something randomly sweetish floralish. I sniffed it a couple of times and set it aside before trying it. Didn't catch my nose then.

Wet: Hm. Smells a lot like O to me -- very sweet, with an almost honey or amber scent. Not sure which. I like it okay, but O caused hubby's nose to tickle a lot last time, so if it stays like this, I'm going to pass on it.

Dry: BLACK PEPPER! Wow. All of the sudden it smells like a lot of black pepper underneath that sweet scent. I *like*. I like a lot. Reminds me of hot summer nights in Florida, for some reason. There's also a somewhat smoky scent that comes out during the dry-down. Did I mention I love this?

As it fades, it becomes almost entirely peppery on me, which I still like.

This is only my first try with it, but I'm definitely going to keep trying the imp (a freebie in my last order) and may order a big bottle.

Cheers,

Jonobie

Edited by jonobie

In the bottle, a very upright, regal and earthy scent. Power much? Oh hell yah. This one wants to crawl out of the bottle and do some commanding. On me it was almost too sagey for a long time and then I thought it had faded out.

However, I can still smell it hours and hours later when I move. The sage scent is still there, but sharp and biting with a strong peppery smell under; black pepper not red. There is a slight sweetness under that, but it's not a soft, gentle sweetness. Beautifully complex I can't decide what to do with this one.

End result: wear around Jake and see what he thinks. I'll at least be keeping the imp.

Wow. The Lab threw this in for me, and I'm so glad to have the chance to try this scent. This is my first Voodoo blend.

This is "I am woman, hear me roar"! This is Girl Power. This is very no-bullshit femaleness. This is Mighty Aphrodite!

Queen reminds me very much of O...sweet, powerful, sexy, and alluring. It is baby powderish, but there is definitely no innocence here.

Warning: a tiny bit goes a very long way.

Queen smells astringent and cherry-coconut-chocolate in the bottle, with something that I recognize but don't know the name of that's kind of metallic and herby. As it dries it's got an evergreen/holly berry background and a warm sweet sugary smell on top. Very Christmasy. It's got a high topnote thing that I recognize in the Tarot blends (High Priestess, Ace of Swords) that mostly fades on the drydown but still wafts off and keeps it from being a sweet smell. It's very complex. I'm not sure if it's the right thing for me, even though I like all the components I can recognize, but I'm really intrigued and will try it a couple more times to see.

Vial: Wet and earthy. Is there some patchouli going on in here?

Wet: Something sweet and bubblegummy kicked in the moment I put it on my skin. Interesting.

After 10: Yowsa! It's powdery, but there's a big, swanky kick of pepper in it now too. White pepper, it seems like. It's invigorating.

After 20: Still powder and pepper. It's somehow like having just stepped out of a bath so that you could dry off and put on a peppery body powder. It smells like powdery, peppery, clean skin.

It's very nice and I think it's a gender neutral kind of smell. This would smell fabulous on the better half. I think I'll send it to him to see what he thinks. *G*

First Impression: Pine or fir. Like a girlie version of Black Forest.

Second Impression: Yes, still the pine-like woods, some girlie musk and a touch of creamy vanilla.

Final Analysis: The longer drydown reveals a lemony scent not unlike that of Van Van. Oh why did this turn to lemon on me? I'll have to try this out with its intended use before I decide to keep or pass it on.

Mmmmmm! :D Queen was strong dark chocolate and rich floral on me. My mom loved it, my boy loved it (speaking of the boy, the Voodoo part did work, nudge nudge wink wink) :D Great staying power--I wore this yesterday and I can still get a whiff of cocoa when I snuffle my wrist, which is unheard-of for me; my skin tends to drink BPAL for breakfast and then look around for more.

This is powerful feminine mojo--for queenly women, and drag queens too. Completely fab. :P

In the vial this is so peppery, my nose gets a little clogged up from smelling it.

However initially on me this is creamy vanilla, which was one hell of a surprise considering how strong the pepper smelt. It did smell similar to O but where as O becomes too musky on my skin this stays creamy and vanilla'rish.

As it settles a little more of the pepper accord comes into the scent and it brings a lot of vitality to the creamy vanilla note.

This is so wonderful and powerful... this just rocks!

:P

Queen: from Voodoo Blends, the notes wasn't mentioned in this one, in the bottle it's smells of spiced herbal sweet nutty and a musty strong scent.

Went on the same way I was thinking about washing it off seriously, I let it have it's stay, the oil was strong about fifty minutes.

Drying down It mellowed to a much lighter version then wet,now I was smelling a musk also amber something sweet but not too sweet I think I smelt hazelnuts and incense, very nice It was enjoyable to my surpise and lasted a very long time, I'm sold! I thought about New Orleans. :P

Edited by Larila

:P ahem.....uhm.....ok, now....yes....well....erm....ahem :D

That was me doing a presentation on Lady Chatterly's Lover in high school (for my drop dead sexy English teacher). And that's how I feel about writing a review for Queen.

Let me just say, don't wear this oil into the woods unless you want to get ravaged by something big and furry that definitely won't call you or send flowers the next day.

This oil screams sex to me. Is that some kind of musk? It's certainly not civet, it's nice. Very strong and powerful, this is not a ladylike perfume. Rawr.

The only thing is, I don't think I can carry this off. I really like it but I would be embarrassed for someone to smell it on me :D So off to swaps with it.

In the vial: This reminds me a lot of Velvet, but much stronger.

Wet, on my skin: Still reminds me of Velvet, but spicier and more floral.

On drydown: Less like Velvet, but more floral and quite spicy. I will have to make a point of wearing this when my husband gets home, but I suspect he's not gonna like it.

This is a very intense scent, deep, earthy and raw. Not something I'd wear out somewhere, but could be useful for serious ritual use and, like today, toolmaking. I'll have to play with this on awhile before I make a final decision on it.

This was a freebie, and my first chance to try one of the Voodoo Blends. In the bottle, and on application, it smelled like nothing in particular, just very sharp. After the first couple of minutes, there was only one word to describe it:

MOTHBALLS.

Four hours later, it still smells like mothballs, with a touch of baby powder underneath. Needless to say, I'm NOT keeping this one!

I just recived this in a swap in the mail this afternoon, and had to try it. In the bottle, Queen smells like a mix of Crucible of Courage (the green, woody part) and Snake Oil (the vanilla). On my skin, it goes through a series of odd transformations - straight vanilla to lemon/vanilla/anise (similar to the anise-y note in Black Cat) to something akin to Hellfire (but less masculine and not quite as pronounced) to a final scent of vanilla, a touch of green, and a touch of lemon. It's different, but I'm really enjoying it. Another big bottle I think.

Edit - I had to update this review, in order to mention how well it gets me attention. I think the past few times I've been out to the bar, I've had about 4 guys offer to buy me drinks, when usually nobody does.

Edited by nevermore

I've been holding off reviewing this because I can't tell the notes. To me this is a sharp, commanding floral with a bit of woodiness, and something with a bite - I've seen pepper and anise mentioned on here, but I can't tell what it is. What is certain is that this packs a punch! Very aptly named - this is a regal, imperious scent designed for someone who's more used to giving orders than following them. I've used my imp twice in rites and what I noticed it did, beyond just making me confident, was that it completely cut away all the dithering BS in my mind and pushed me in the right direction, no questions asked. And to my surprise, it smelled pretty decent on me as well - better than I'd have predicted in the bottle.

Wet, this has that white cake smell that many of the Voodoo blends have, but that goes away after a few hours. What's left is very herbal in almost a medicinal way. Which is okay since I mostly intend to use it for medicinal purposes, magically speaking. It doesn't smell good in a perfumey "mmm I want to smell like that" kind of way, but it's not intolerable by any means. I don't mind smelling like that as long as it's not bothering anyone else in my vicinity either.

The day after the election, I considered wearing Melpomene but chose Queen instead. It was opening day at the Torrid store where I work, and my mission for the day was to set my political angst aside and spend the day showing women who didn't know it that they were beautiful. Queen seemed like the oil for the job.

First sniff: Smoky honey, a hint of powder, and something brightly floral underneath. Queen reminds me of the general scent of a Lush shop when you first walk in the door, a mingling of all sorts of scents.

Wearing: Very powdery-floral when first applied. After a few minutes a citrusy note pops out, almost like a powdery lemon... and then it turns to pepper. Hmmmm. I’m not overly fond of it as a perfume, but I may try it elsewhere.

A little bit of chocolate

A little bit floral

A little bit spicy

Queen is deeply beautiful. And definitely makes me feel powerful.

Just tried this for the first time - didn't even realize I had it, I thought it was another Queen Gertrude (which is AWFUL on me).

However, Queen is just fabulous on me. Smells like rosewood, and cypress, and vanilla, and pink peppercorn with a hint of chocolate and maybe musk? or amber?

seriously, this probably works with my body chemistry better than almost everything I've tried. And I didn't even realize it was a voodoo scent til I came to review it. Woo hoo World, look out for me.

Reading some of the reviews on Queen, I have to say chocolate?! Why don't I get chocolate?

Upon application, this made me think of orchid with vetiver. Not quite orchid, but some floral that's a bit like orchid. The vetiver (it might not be vetiver, but vetiver is what I associate with green, pine-including-bark smells) is stronger than the orchid (calling floral "orchid"). Normally, these green-might-be-vetiver scents end up hitting me with a branch repeatedly, but fortunately, Queen doesn't do that. It's pleasant in that it's not strong, and it stays in the pine tree with bark phase for at least four hours (I'm in my fourth hour with Queen). I'm not big on pine trees or vetiver, so this is a no go for me. This scent is a bit powdery, but only if I really think about it.

ETA: This really isn't what I expected at all, given that the name of the scent is Queen and that it's a masculine scent.

Edited by malanna

Well, from the description I have to wonder if this is going to work or not. The hubby is home sick today, and if this can raise his interests when he’s sick, then I’ll be really surprised and buy a gallon of it.

In the Bottle: Queen is fairly minty with a chocolate sort of scent in the background. It smells really good!

On Me: This is a lot more herbal than I thought. Its slightly acidic, like dandelion root or something like that at my wrist, but I still smell chocolate in the air. I haven’t been baking yet today, so I don’t think its that. What an odd combination, totally herbal on my wrist, but sweet and flowing off of it. Actually, the more that I smell it, the more that I can tell that it isn’t chocolate that I’m smelling, but its vanilla. That gorgeous, thick, gooey vanilla that I totally adore!!

The herbal scent is turning into a musky floral now, but the vanilla is still only detectable in the air around me. Maybe its carnation that I smell on my wrist. Its hard to tell. I love the scent though, but the real question of the description of the scent is whether or not my hubby will like it. With him being sick, its really hard to tell, but I’ll slather it on and give it a shot anyway.

OH MY GOD! It works!! I’ve finally found a scent that Beth makes that turns my hubby on, even though he’s sick! That’s a total surprise!! Well then, this is definitely a HUGE bottle! WOOHOO!

queen how i love thee, it has become one of my top 3 scents, i am reaching for it as often as snake oil and illustrated woman.

in the bottle it is woody and musky, two of my faves.

wet a lot muskier, but not just musk, a sexy musk blend that has me sniffing myself.

it dries, and softens greatly, it is dead on sexy. in the family w/ o, snake oil, and illustrated woman, powerful, sexy, and strong, not scent strong but i am strong kind of scent. this is my power scent, the one i know will bring me up when i feel down.

Edited by shelldoo

Wet on my inner wrists, Queen smelled of black patchouli and pepper with a sweet chocolatey richness going on underneath it.

after she dried.

:P

This is Samhain's identical twin on me. Seriously. The only difference I can tell is that Queen is slightly more 'mature' feeling and a bit more peppery...other than that...EXACTLY the same! I smell the smoke, I smell the fir and even the pumpkin, apple, pine and the smoke, oh the glorious SWEEET smoke!!!

Yes, she does her job!!

*does snakey come hither dance*

Queen

Wet

Mmm. Initially nice. I could've sworn I smelled something foody or toffee like for all of 2 seconds.

I smell floral and quite a bit of it, but it's pretty. It's not quite overpoweringly floral. I also smell something warm and golden like amber and thank goodness as it breaks up the floral nicely.

10 minutes

It is mellowing quite nicely and surprisingly. The floral is still there medium strong but nothing eyeball popping. The sweeet golden something is still there making it round instead of so sharp from the floral and the other scent which seems to be greenish and acidic is there too, it's similar to... Celery?icon_neutral.gif

20 minutes

There is one sharp ingredient that needs to go away. If it did this might be a different but nice foody floral. This is all over the place. At times it's nice and at other times it's not so nice at all.

ADDED May 2:

~Queen~

In the bottle

honey , amber, Ylang Ylang (maybe), some note that is also in Van Van.

On

On my skin, "Queen" can't decide what it wants to be. Is it floral? Yep, for awhile.

It has a lovely powdery note. It's not enough to tame this down any though.

Is it foody? The honey is trying to make it so....and failing miserably.

Throw:

Medium light

Scent category:

floral/foody/resin

Summary

Ylang Ylang's evil twin maybe?

Headache. Can't write.

Cloying, cloying, cloying.

This is a rare "wash it off" for me.

I'll consider this taking one for the team. :P

Purchase again?

No.