Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

For use only by women. An extremely potent passion blend, used to great effect when you're converting feminine sexual energy into power.

Initial Sniff: A powdery floral and a sharp herbal with spices.
Wearing: Very spicy and herbal to start - this gives off a very powerful vibe! Unfortunately, this goes all baby powder on me after an hour or so.
Final Impressions: I liked the wet stage, but I just can't do baby powder.

Guest ExquisiteSiren

Wet..this has a sort of warm foody curry dish smell.

But there is a sort of odd rhythm to it....water on rubber.....

hmmm like you rubbed your fingers against something wet and rubbery.....

like....ummm *blush* ANYWAY......

This is defiantly woman. But a fertile woman at that. Like a woman who takes care of others because she has the power to do so.

dry it smells just like honey and pepper.

I really like this...and is seeming to give me some magical confidence :P

RAWWrrr

I like this one a lot, I wear it when I need to feel more powerful. :P

I get smoky, sweet, patchouli, and light floral notes. It is a strong scent, making me feel as if I can do anything. I also wonder if there is amber in here? I get a almost powdery dry down from amber, that I love, and this dries down in that way. A dry dusty warm powder, bringing the spice, florals, and patchouli together.

Mmmm. :D

A sweet womanly scent.

Went on rather cleanly, but lingered nicely. I felt empowering wearing it... not really REGAL, but more in a voodoo queen sense. More primal and earthy than dressed up and haughty.

The deeper notes came out as the day wore on. I truly love the Voodoo blends. By the end of the day I felt like I was the kind who could run around and rip a man's heart out just becuase I was bored.

Do you really want to know the effects it had on the man in my life? :P

Power of the feminine varity. Nice.

I absolutely love this scent. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but on me, it's womanly, soft but sort of dangerous. There's a bit of spice in the beginning that I found really interesting, but it faded into powdered floral for me. I love it so much, it'll definitely be a big bottle for me.

I don't really know how to pick out individual notes very well, but on me Queen smells just like Designer Fragrance "Mackie" which I wore for years

LOVE IT!

queen.jpg

Wet -Sort of a bubblegummy scent mixed with herbal aromatherapy and a bit of musky pine. This is a classic herb like smell with some sort of heavy sweet thrown in.

Drydown -Basil. I smell basil in this blend. It is one of the notes which I think works wonders for Queen and gives its resin the needed individuality note which it needs to stand out of the crowd. Alas, there is too much going on in the background to have me say it meets my "uniqueness" criteria. I bet this blend is indeed carefully crafted and I am sure it gives you the confidence of Her Majesty in the situations you need. However, as a perfume, it doesn't work. It really isn't "come hither", rather it's, "Her Majesty commands your presence!" I can detect nothing behind the basil which I would say was charming. Sorry.

On the up side, I would bet this is a fine ritual blend. It just smells too serious not to be.

Edited by olympia301

The last scent so far that needs reviewing and I'm hoping this gives off just as much power as it promises to. Time to end this batch with a bang!

In the vial - Sweet white pepper. If I had to pin this scent down, it would be sweet vanilla with amber mixed with liberal amounts of white pepper.

Wet - Sweet pepper POW! This stuff THROWS!

Drying - The white pepper and the vanilla are really well mixed here and the amber tone is just in the background. This is power in a completely feminine form. The sting from the pepper is delayed somewhat and it's not overpowering at all. NICE. I'm really liking this.

Dry (2 hours later) - It's dried down to mostly pepper and amber with a sweet hint of vanilla and something floral. The floral is really understated, so I'm not sure what it is. It's almost an herbal type floral. Reminds me of... clover, maybe? Tough to tell. The amber is giving it that powdery feel, but it's really minor.

Overall - I really, really like this one. It's not something I would have thought I'd like, but it's just a powerful yet not "in your face" scent. And it has a very unusual throw, in that my roommate could smell it in the next room, but I didn't find it overpowering at all. Completely yum. This is a "big bottle" for me for sure.

Dang, there is the same baby powder smell from all the "come hither" type voodoo blends. It's backed up this time by spices and I REALLY like the spices. I'll have them alone please? I wish I could identify this note, the baby powder one :P An odd funky almost body odor smell arives last, like you want to hate it but have to smell it? This stuff IS interesting. I can smell the raw sex in it, but the smell is offputting to ME so I really wouldn't feel sexay for the person drawn by the scent.

Good to try, but not for me to buy. Thank God I love wolf's heart and WoND and High John or I'd lose out on oils with intention altogether.

Queen - oh, sweet Goddess on a stick, do I love this one! I can't identify the components to this scent, but once it dries on my skin, it has a lot of the scent of an oil I used to love dearly: it was called "Big Mama Protection Oil," and it was made either by Z. Budapest or by Starhawk, and went from them to my friend Antiga, who gave a little bottle of it to me shortly after an old girlfriend of mine and I escaped being hurt by some jackasses who came after us with a crescent wrench and then tried to run us over. There was the same tangy sweetness in Big Mama as there is in the drydown of Queen. I love it, and I missed it so much, and I never thought I'd find it again, and now here it is!

Must have big bottle. Must. Next time I order, this is top of the list, even higher than O or The Lion or Tombstone, which are my top three at the moment.

Got this as a freebie from the Lab.

Peppered Chocolate. That's what it turned into on me. :P

Sad Annanda. Into the swap pile it goes.

Bottle (Imp): Sweet, not too much, and a little tickly to my nose.

Just On: Oh, it's very sultry, the sweet tones a little, and something else starts to come forth.

An hour or two later: This is quite sultry, and exotic smelling to my nose. It's not nearly as sweet, but still quite nice.

Around 6 hours: This has morphed a fair amount. It's still sultry and exotic, but in a different way. More mature, more seductive.

12 hours: Whiffs of seductiveness, but nearly gone.

Overall: Nice. I think a bottle of this is in order.

After reading other reviews: I don't get chocolate, and I'm not bothered by it, though I would love to have it.

In bottle: This is a very difficult fragrance to describe. It exudes femininity, but it changes constantly. First I think it's rather floral, but then it doesn't seem floral at all, because it smells like food and herbs. Then it ceases to smell of either.

On me: I find this to be much more feminine than the other passion/love voodoo blends. I'm still mystified about how to explain it, tho'. It's rather green and herbal, but the plants aren't particularly fresh; they've already been cooked or processed somehow, and the fresh bite of green is gone. Rather floral, but I'm not sure what flowers. Almost something like coconut. I like it - very feminine - but it is so hard for me to put into words!

My Impression: To me this is very earthy, as I mostly detect pine and the black pepper noted earlier. To me this is a masculine type of scent, or at least I would love to smell this on a man. It is almost on the verge of jumping out of the vial it is so commanding. :P

I think it's so funny that every review is different, although there are some common themes. For me I didn't like the scent of it in the imp AT ALL, but on my skin this is soo good. I get chocolate, with a smokey honey scent, and a light floral underneath. Gorgeous, and definitely GRRR...girl power at it's finest! Love it!

For some reason, the wet scent of Queen reminds me of...calamine lotion. I have no idea why.

Dry, it's a much more herbal scent and in the very best sort of way. More importantly, though, Queen makes me feel like a total badass. I think this is going to become my dance scent. It says exactly what I want to convey - I am strong and powerful, confident, and exotic...just try to take your eyes off of me, I dare you.

I had such hopes for this! In the bottle: I did not think I'd like this- tried it anyway. Upon application, it turned sourish one me, and I got the sour baby powder note. Grrrrrr for the wonders of chemistry :P When the drydown started, (this is gross- warning!) it smelled like baby powder mixed with cat urine or something like that. Off to swap! One never knows just what these little jewels of scent will turn into! I shall stand firm and try even more that I think will be interesting- I usually like or love most of BPAL without reservation- just not Queen.

My initial notes on this oil, just smelling it from the imp consisted of "smells intimidating."

hahah ...And how right I was! :D

Putting it on, the top note is some sort of evergreen. Maybe pine, possibly cedar. Something needley. However that note fades after mere moments, and it quickly becomes pure vetiver. The dark, oily, peppery product of the devil.

Yes, vetiver, my nemesis. However, in this oil, it didn't bother me. Go figure.

And funnily enough, I felt really empowered and together all day (in the midst of a week of bawling my eyes out for no reason and having general depressive tendencies).

I may actually order a 5mL of this for ritual use, at some point. It did make me feel like I had The Power, so thumbs up in that regard! :P

This is such an interesting thread to read - so many different reactions!

Oh yum. On my skin, this was a cherry chocolate candy buzz at first, which kind of made me go "uh, hold on a sec here," but while I was sitting waiting for it to dry and get on with the rest of the scent experience, I kept smelling this cloud of wonderfullness. I thought it was either the perfume on my other wrist or a slightly open 5 ml of something on the desk, but no! It was Queen! And she was delicious.

Sweet, warm vanilla smoke with a tinge of peppery bite. Not incensey smoke, or tobacco smoke, but a kind of dense fog of scent. It's sexy and strong and seriously makes me feel like...well, a Queen. The Queen of All, even. I'm almost afraid of my own self while wearing this, it makes me feel so dominant and powerful. I need a bottle of this.

Immediately upon applying Queen, it turned strongly earthy and peppery, which I love. Now, about half an hour later, a musky scent is beginning to peep out, sweetening Queen. I like this very much!

ETA: I went to bed with this on my wrists last night and had hot, sexy dreams.

Edited by bodegaselkie

Queen – Out of the bottle this is a rather strange scent, a little bit leathery perhaps with tobacco flower? It has a really bitter bite to it. I don’t like this scent at all. It’s very strong & over powering, It smells kind of old, Victorian perhaps. On my skin this has turned into an extremely heavy floral & is very heady. I wouldn’t like to wear this for a day.

At first I have no idea what I am smelling. Something powerful, potent, commanding. Then it dries down and is almost floral, but very spicy and earthy. Then it is so vertivert, pepper, and baby powder. A very odd combination. This is what I think the Dutchess in Alice in Wonderland might smell like. I am going to have to try this again when I am in a "Big Mamma" mood!

Wet- green leaves, a very green scent but in a "fresh flowers" kind of way, not earthy at all. I definitely smell wildflowers.

Drying: There's something zesty in here, like violet candy, and I still smell those wildflowers. There's something slightly sour in here, but the "afterglow" (you know, the smell in your nose a second after you pull your wrist away) is pure sugar.

I don't like the slight sourness though.

After some time: Ah! The sour note is honey. I think it's honey, violets, and some mysterious other floral in here. The "herby" is part of the honey scent, and the honey has grown to dominate this blend.

Verdict: Not for me, off to the swaps!

Smells like Vice if Vice were to have a LOT of pepper added to it. Vice smelled like stale chocolate covered gummi bears on me... I'm not fond of it.

Queen is peppery stale chocolate covered gummi bears. :P

This gets pretty musky on me in the drydown too. So much musk that it gives me a headache.

Queen is definitely off to the swap pile.

ETA: 2017 version I just received smells completely different.

Like a mix of herbal and sweet floral soaps all covered in dust, with a weird, Sprite-like fizziness. Reminds me of dust covered, generic, hotel bar soaps and that cloying fizziness is just strange...

Edited by Little Bird

This is a really interesting thread to read. Chemistry is so interesting. Perception too.

In the bottle, Queen smelled quite sharp. Herbal. Commonalities with one of the Sominum blends. I think one of them has anise so maybe thats it.

On the skin, what a different story. I get pepper plus anise. Lots and lots of anise. Queen is quite intense and just a little goes a long way. The anise adds a bit of sweetness to the spicy bite of the pepper.

After about 30-40 minutes, I get a sense of powder where the oil was on lightest. In the area with the most oil, it's still predominantly anise and spice. But I can tell that it's shifting. To powder. Where I put the oil it heaviest, it's almost as if it makes my skin tingle just a bit. When I give it a sniff, it makes my septum tingle just a bit too.

I just realized what one of the notes is - clove. So, a combination of pepper, clove and anise. It's also a bit smoky (despite the powder, which it most definitely has). It actually reminds me a bit of Torture King.

I'm pretty tired right now and it's late so I'm not in the best frame of mind to judge its effect. I will say that it is a powerful scent. And I can see how that would translate.