Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

For use only by women. An extremely potent passion blend, used to great effect when you're converting feminine sexual energy into power.

When I first applied Queen, my nose wrinkled up at the sweet, herbally overtones and I immediately flung the imp into the swap pile.

But then something magical happened. The herbs backed off and it mellowed into a mesmerizing sweetness which I can't stop huffing. And neither can hubby. :P

My best guess at possible notes include vetiver and lavender, and something vanilla-ish.

Just lovely.

edit: added lab description Edited by presotm

Imp: Herbal is an understatement. I'm starting to fear there's vetiver.

Wet: Okay that's could have been worse. Still hella herby, but it's sweetened up a bit...but then there's something anise like...I have NO idea what's going on here

Drydown: What is this? Where the heck did these notes come from? Space? The thing is, it actually smells pretty good. I just have no clue what the notes are or what it's doing or where it's going.

Overall: This is one kooky scent. The best thing I can come up with to describe it is, like, floral rootbeer, and that's not even close. If you happen to find yourself in possession of an imp, don't be scared off by the impsniff. Looking through the reviews before me, this is like the scent equivalent of a Rorschach test: Everyone sees (or smells) something different. As for me, it's pretty nice, but I'm not interested in a full bottle

Queen smells good. Hmmm, amazing, since it contains rose and bpal rose note normally amps on me. In queen, there is a sweet floral/rose scent with the honey note ensuring the rose note behaves on my skin. It is nice, but it is not me. I will just be keeping my imp for special occasions

This went on pungent, evergreeny, and herbal times ten, and continued true to form. After a couple hours it smelled like evergreens and herbs… or evergreens with soap, a rather odd combination. Eventually it comes around to being a soapy herbal with an evergreen component. An interesting blend, but not something I'd be seeking out again soon.

Recaplet: Herbal evergreen soap.

My rating: 2 of 5 (Meh.)

Color impression: Deep green.

In the vial: Cloying honey floral.

On the skin: Yikes! Whatever's in the blend doesn't like me. Way over powering, way cloying, I can't even hold my wrist close enough to sniff I can't handle it. Yipes!

Piercing. Metallic and earthy. It has a bitter cherry-almond vibe, together with something sharp and medicinal, like some strange sort of moss and something minty, and pine-like.

Regal, indeed. But not in a floral kitschy way.

It really makes me more focused and it clears my mind in a second. Definitely a keeper.

In the imp, sharp and bitter.

Wet on skin, sharp brimstone and smoke....and something sweet. As it dries, it goes to a strong minty scent. Then when completely dry it's a soft peppermint and floral. This one really morphs. By the time it's dry, it's turned into this soft delicate scent, so very different from where it started.

Queen is major vetiver when wet but as it dries...chocolate?? It's very rich and heady. Actually this smells a lot like that mulch you can buy for your garden that's got cocoa in it--dirt and chocolate combined! Kind of yummy. Ultimately it's a bit too overpowering to wear, I think, but might be used in other ways.

Reminds me of a minty Midnight Kiss. There's got to be some vanilla in there too. Warm, but with a powdery edge of unapproachability. Kinda weird, but not unpleasant.

in the imp:

it's a little bit herbal, a little bit floral mixed with a touch of something peppery. my untrained nose can't make out any specific notes, but this smells interesting. i get the vibe that the scent is fluid; it constantly moves and doesn't stay static. i *think* i'm picking some ylang ylang.

wet on skin:

my first impression when it landed on my skin was, "hmm. pepper." thankfully, the scent is starting to morph now into something sweeter, a tinge of rose kissed by ylang ylang, dribbled with just a little bit of honey. this isn't as strong as i feared it would be, which is a good thing.

the drydown:

the herbal note is stronger now, but not overpowering. there is a pretty good balance of the notes on me where they all coexist in harmony rather than fight for a place in the spotlight. i've lost that bit of rose that i detected, but the ylang ylang is growing stronger. this is full grown woman, sexual and magnetic. i'm just not sure that it's me.

verdict:

i seem to be coming up with loads of scents that are too mature with me lately. queen smells great, but i just don't have the personality to pull her off. i've got a couple of people on my mind that i could toss her to, but before i do that, i'm going to run her by my fiance first, and see what he thinks. ;)

big bottle worthy... if you can handle her. B)

Edited by Xylis

I made a face when I first smelled Queen and thought I may need to wash my arm off. I'm glad I stuck with it, however, because it morphed into a powerful, seductive, and confident blend. Very spicy and commanding with just the right amount of herb and vetiver balanced with a touch of sweetness. This definitely achieves its listed goal in the description as far as I'm concerned.

Ok so what I get from Queen?

I can definately smell vetiver & Lavender in here. It's not overtaking everything though because there is a sweetness to this oil that's stronger. This smells a little bit like sweeties with vetiver and some flowers. Very unusual and this is quite a strong blend. I'm gonna have to be careful with how I apply it.

The sweetness, how do I describe it? It's NOT vanilla and it's NOT honey I don't think. It's just...sweet.

As it dries there is a slight powderyness to it but it's not unpleasant in the slightest, it just calms the vetiver down alot more. I like this blend but..not really one I would wear all the time.

Edited by ouch!

A powerful floral, of lavender, vanilla and roses. A deep blend, without falling over into sticky or simpering. Sleek yet rough, baring it's teeth in a warning, while also being sensual. Other reviewers keep saying "vetiver" but I don't get that note, I get something else thick and dark. Quite nice.

this is my first try in my first batch of imps! on opening i got VERY strong dark chocolate with a smoky spiciness underneath. It's mellowed out a bit on my skin with some pepper sneaking in. i'm heading to work waiting tables in a few hours so we'll see what happens to my tips :D

edit: over the course of the night this scent turned to nothing but baby poweder. the guys at work said i smelled like a stripper... i'll be trading this one:)

Edited by bonny

In the vial: Tart, pungent, sharp, piercing like vetiver.

Wet: Sweeter right away, but still with that leathery vetiver-like note. There's a very powerful herbal impression, but the dominant scent is a woody yet extremely sweet note.

Half an hour: It smells utterly mysterious and completely familiar all at the same time. It's almost sugary sweet over a sharp and woody base with some smoke that smells like burning herbs. Wow. I shouldn't like this, but I do despite myself.

One hour: Incense, sweet herbs, and that sugary note, almost like burning sugar -- not caramel, which has a milky scent, but pure sugar smoking. I like this very much.

Three hours: I think that sweet scent is a floral, one that goes into the making of honey. Because what I seem to be smelling here is honey with a musky note plus one or two herbal notes and just a hint of tannic base. Delicious. This is how weaseljuice Frumious Bandersnatch ought to smell!

Four hours: Sugar and tobacco smoke, mostly. I still think it's some kind of honey-sweet floral, rather like Chuparosa, but I'm damned if I can think of what it is. I still like this one.

Five hours: Ever so faintly, the sugary note is dying back in favor of something that seems more like an ordinary floral. But which one? I have no idea. Still like it, though.

Seven hours: Still there, I still like it. That musky note is stronger now, almost strong enough to balance the sweet. Definitely in more of a weaseljuice (ferret musk) territory than before, spicy sweet and musky all at once.

In the imp I can smell sweet vertiver, so possibly lavendar as well. I'm not too sure of the other notes. It smells weird but I'll persevere and put some on. Ooh the herbs are out, this reminds me of the herbs in my windowbox, specifically the parsley and lavendar. There is a very sweet smell in the background, someone mentioned dark chocolate, that may be it. I think I can smell rose, something sweet and fresh and rosey! Ok now it smells of roses and chocolates, with a hint of lavendar in the throw.

I know what it reminds me of! LUSH's Black Magick massage bar! I have 2 of these and love them, the rose and chocolate, delightful!

Once dry it smells beautifully sensual. It reminds me of when I use the above massage bar and layer with Vanillary powder. This will be the perfect scent to match it. A beautiful soft, dark rose with the teeniest tiniest hint of incense. I adore this scent.

Imp: Vetiver, cocoa and floral.

Wet: Vetiver, woodsy floral. Sharp, smoky and yet feminine. At least, my rawr idea of feminine.

Drydown: As it dries, Queen becomes sweeter. Lavender bats up against the smokiness, almost taking over. I'm getting naughty TKO, which is totally not what I was expecting. I'm not sleepy, at least.

Dry: Oh yeah, vamped up TKO.

Overall: Sexy, seriously confident. I had batted this aside originally, because I generally associate BPAL Queen-named blends with my arch nemesis, rose, but thankfully I gave this a whirl. I will need a bottle.

Wow, this is one dirty queen. :lol: I get lots of vetiver and a bit of dark floral, I think, but maybe it's fruit?. As it dries, the vetiver recedes and some florals emerge with the dark fruit. This kind of reminds me of Crypt Queen and Arachnina a bit, incensey 'dirty', and pretty damn vampy. This is quite nice and I'll enjoy my imp when I want to feel ultra powerful and feminine at the same time.

Scary green vetiver!! This oil is definitely powerful and could make me fell strong if I enjoyed the scent. I'm reminded of Troll, with a bit less pine.

Ok, I'm not very good a picking out indivdual notes... I'm getting a peppery-earth and floral scent from it. (Is that rose? I don't know; it's not especially pleasant.) But this scent has a STRONG throw. I only used a small amount to test it, and it's like I rolled in the stuff. It took about an hour to fade to manageable strength.

Not one of my favorites, and it is powerful. It sweetens after it's been on a while, but there's something about it that is almost making my nose tickle.

imp: sweet, spicy and dark

wet: first sniff feels pretty similar with Snake Oil but is more ladylike - i cannot recognize notes here but overall impression is sweet and smoky

dry: there is something chocolate-like in this with sweet, spicy and smoky wood - it is confident and very beautiful with dark, regal way and it makes me feel energized and strong

at first this felt even bit too strong but it calms down beautifully to ladylike, sexy scent that has an aura of power so this definately is scent for me - big bottle needed ASAP!

This was so strong and scary in the imp that I just swiped a bit on my finger. It smells like Dr. Pepper, black pepper, and lavender. When lavender is mixed with certain things it smells a little menthol, which is what I keep getting whiffs of.

Wow, the descriptions of this one are all so different! I decided on a whim to finally test it - I got it as a frimp months ago.

So, in the bottle it smelled like a sharp, heavy green floral with dark chocolate undertones. Eh...interesting. After about a minute, I caught a whiff of warm woodiness. Ehhhh....

Now it's getting that weird baby-powder/clean diaper bag smell to it, like Eros did with me. It's kind of making me want to gag.

SWAPS!! :rasp: