Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

For use only by women. An extremely potent passion blend, used to great effect when you're converting feminine sexual energy into power.

In the bottle: BIT MY NOSE, couldn't make out anything. Very strong.
Wet: still extremely strong, a woodsy scent
After a few minutes on my skin: quiets down, but still a biting forest scent, woven through with honeysuckle and some other sweetness I can't identify.

I really love how this combines the fresh woodsy scent with the much sweeter honeysuckle. Definitely an androgynous scent. And quite captivating! I can't help sniffing myself! yum. Reminds me of being in the woods in summertime, when all the scents are at their strongest.

imp: smels like honey and coconuts... and something fresh and crisp... like faint citrus or something.

wet: there's a woodsy, smokey scent here that overpowers the sweetness. suddenly i'm gripped with the thought that this is like a female version of crowley. there's almost a faint leatherish scent as well.

dry: there's a sweet vanilla musk sort of scent here, still backed by woods and smoke. very interesting scent.

Initial Impression: honey, something tart, something creamy

On Wet: whiff of berry, cream, spice

On Dry: honey, cream, spice, hint of berry

Final Impression: Yum! I feel sexier wearing this. More centered.

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 4.5

queen is regal and, well, queenly. i'm not sure i can pull it off. it's good initially but there's something icky and herbal and maybe floral lurking just beneath the surface that turns me off to it- and then whatever that bit is comes out in full force and woooahhh, i can't wear this. but- wait! when it fully dries it's woodsy and sweet (is that honeysuckle?) and i actually think it works! i'll be keeping my imp.

In the Imp (wet): I'm a little speechless on this one. My first whiff came sharp and sent a little shiver down my spine. Each whiff I take of it leaves me a little breathless. And not in a good way. Sort of reminds me of old people. If this is a queen, it'd be the Queen Mother.

On facial cotton (dry): Still no good. I get the impression the Queen Mother is wearing a dress that has been stuffed with a lot of mothballs. Still very sharp and take-no-prisoners scent.

On me: It goes a little powderish on my scent, but I smell something here. There's a bit of a sweetness that I didn't notice earlier. There's also a pepper-iness that I do like. Has potential.

The queen certainly does influence everyone differently!

At first it smelled strongly of sweet almonds on me, a la Bastet.

Then the spicy pepper and woods took over in such strength that my nose was twitching.

After 30 minutes, I could smell a spicy floral and some soft honey. Very nice, very sultry. At this stage, it almost reminds me of YSL Opium, although this could just be my own personal scent memory. I used to use Opium back in the dark ages when it first came out for those nights when I was on the prowl, so the association fits.

Overall, this is a very forthright, strong, powerful scent. I'd imagine it would definitely leave its mark on anyone who comes near. I'm really liking it, but I"m not sure I'd wear it in an office. Not unless it's the holiday Christmas party, and there's a copier nearby :P

This blend is so complex that I've had trouble nailing down any of the notes. They seem to shift in and out of prominence: pepper, piney wood, amber, sugary honey, some kind of rich spicy floral...carnation maybe? In my locket, the pine and pepper seem to take the lead while on my skin this softens tremendously and the spicy floral sweetness comes out to play with the pepper while the pine takes a seat in the very back of the room. This blend is gorgeous and seems perfect for the holidays to me. I don't often like piney scents but this one just hints at evergreens and as such this Queen has earned my devotion.

Well, I just got my first order of BPAL, and this is the first oil I've tried, so I'll give it a review:

In the bottle, Queen was very strong; it smelled to me a lot like a stuffy, overly floral scent..old lilies, fragranced hankies, etc....not particularly appealing.

When I put it on, it had a powdery fragrance, and smelled a lot like the carnations that my aunt and grandma used to have all over their apartment. Nicer, but still a little stuffy and strong.

After it was on awhile, a floral-y, almost balsam-y scent came out, and that was quite lovely. I could also smell some pine, and the scent of a deep, dense forest full of old leaves and pine needles.

I don't know if I'll buy this again, but I will enjoy it on the right occasions (whatever they may be). It's definitely not an everyday scent for me.

Edited by LaLoba

This is an odd one for me. I got it as a frimp in a trade.

in the imp - resiny with an undercurrent of cat urine.

I decided to be brave and try some.

wet: resiny with something like chocolate underneath to take away the sharpness.

early dry: less resiny and something creamy popping up. icky cream.

middle dry: ick baby powder.

trailing off: rubber and baby powder.

extremely nasty.

Edited by BlackTauna

in the imp: strong, heady and pungent. i can't discern any notes, but i feel a little light-headed, and yes, a surge of power just from a sniff. :D

wet on skin: there's an earthy note in there, not exactly vetiver or patchouli, but a rootiness that both of them encapsulate. with this is a dark chocolate note. not sweet or foodie, but like raw cacao. it's really pretty amazing.

dry down:pretty much the same-rooty, earthy, a tad sensual and chocolate-y.

in all: a powerful scent. as i approach 40, i feel that i am only now becoming a woman strong enough to wear an oil like this. i have a feeling that, like ladies ourselves, this oil will only become more powerful with age. :D

:P

Edited by VioletChaos

This has a strong bite to it and almost smells like a few of the TALs do: potent and complex. I truly cannot tell what notes are in here, but this seems to hold a lush, full floral aspect with something that's earthy and something that's dry, woodsy, and herbal. While it doesn't smell extremely inviting, it's still nice and it definitely gives off an air of power, both in fragrance and in the mood it sets me in when I wear it.

it took me a while to find this review and what this queen was... but This I didn't think I'de like in the vial. In the vial it smells all astringent and pepper. But I decided to try it on my skin anyway. It changes a bit in the dry down and is less astringent and a bit more sweet. It's complex but I like the dry down. Wouldn't buy a bottle but I might keep the imp.

sweetly red. this is a red scent. kind of cinnamony but sharper, though it never bites. eventually the sharpness gets fainter and fainter and I'm just left with spicy sweetness.

nice, but not really what I'd wear. it did have a herbal tinge that made it interesting.

edit: oooooh then nothing but powder. definitely not for me!

Edited by rusty

"Oh, won't you take me home tonight..." Oh, wrong Queen :P.

This blend is...different. For one thing, I've had it on for at least 5 minutes now, and it's sitting on my skin, not absorbing, not drying. And for another, all I can smell is this bracing, herbal, astringent smell. Sort of an uber-astringent herbal lavender, with a touch of honey? But instead of softening the blend, the honey sours. I really don't think this is working for me.

Bottle: Buckley's cough syrup.

Wet: Well, I'm mostly sure there is pine in this somewhere. Pine, maybe vetiver, may be honey? It's not unpleasant, but it's not grabbing me.

Dry: Yep. Definitley vetiver. It's got that characteristic vetiver-powder thing which, personally, I'm fond of, although I know a lot of people aren't. Also a touch of sweetness and herbs. It's quite nice, actually, and I feel powerful wearing it. Not necessarily sensual or sexy, but I feel like I can command a lot of power right now.

Throw: A few inches from the skin. Smells better when you're three inches from the skin than when you're all mashed up against it (as I tend to smell my perfumes :P ).

Overall: It's an intriguing blend and I'll hang onto it for the fall. Even if it doesn't work as intended, it's still a lovely, piney, spicy fall scent.

In the bottle: Lemony and woodsy, but deep. Powerful undercurrents. I'm really hopeful about this blend.

From wet to dry, the character changes, but the degree of pleasantness doesn't. The impression I've gotten, from multiple trials, ends up being: curried baby powder and lemony sweat.

That... just didn't work out. I wanted it to, too. I tried it several times. Oh, well, somebody's bound to want to get it in a trade... 

Edited by alianthe

Like the other Voodoo blends that I've tried (Love me, #20 Love Oil) this was all icky floral on me (I like very few florals).

To me, this is Dragon's Blood and cocoa. I actually did a search in this topic to see if anyone else got Dragon's Blood, and no one mentioned it. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time I smelled something that likely wasn't there.

This is rich and strong - I love it.

Wow. Okay, color me SO surprised on this one. I was digging through my stash for an imp that my SW had requested *waves* and found this in my to try box. I'm always behind feminine sexual power, so I figured, why not try it out... For the first few minutes, I could have sworn I was going to have to wash it off. PINE PINE PINE. Then, about five minutes in, all of a sudden the pine backed off and something soft and sweet and rich appeared. Seriously, I was having the boy sniff and over the course of maybe fortyfive seconds, the pine just about vanished. What's left is soft and potent and mysterious and not something I'd usually wear, but it's totally growing on me.

I don't think I'd need a bottle of this, but it's FASCINATING to smell!

In the imp: Floral, chocolate and peppercorns

Wet: patchouli and a bit of amber

Dry: A lovely honeyed powder note

Another confident earthy woman scent--nothing frilly about this. It's not a menacing scent on me, but it does change quite a bit. This is an interesting scent. It does have quite a throw--it could be a cloying scent for me, if it were closer to my head. I'm keeping it on my wrists only! :P

In the bottle

Musky, Incensy, complex

Wet on skin

The same, but with a hint of marzipan and a dash of bitterness, (pink peppercorns?) sugared by complex florals.

Drydown

Incense, musk, a hint of herbs, wormwood taos sage, honeyed marzipan dipped in chocolate, over blowsy overblown flowers, ylang ylang, hawthorn, and the slightly rotten scent of full blown carnation. Incredibly well blended, amazingly complex. Creamy, warm, and powerfully sexy. No note dominates, but morphs constantly, with different notes coming to the fore and receding back.

Throw

Average

Mood

A tray of expensive hand made sweets, served with sugared absinthe in a room redolent of languid sex. Theres a faintly glowing burner on the altar with the last crumbs of incense dribbling into the air, and a big vase of overblown flowers beside it. And OMG it does the trick when used for its intended purpose :P An olfactory orgasm on me!

Verdict

Gaaah, this may be another must have a bottle. A great oil for wearing in bed ;-).

This definitely has a bite to it. I am wondering if it shares some note with Ochosi, because it initially smells of pineapple on my skin just like that one did. That quickly gives way to a sharp, peppry smell that is sort of indescribably. smells white to me. I'm not sure how much I'll wear this one but it is interesting!

I love reading the reviews for this one because almost everyone has different impressions. I will say straight off the bat that Queen absolutely loves me, and I think I am definitely falling for her!

Wet: I smell an almond note here. There also seems to be a spicy undertone.

As it dries: I think there is a spice here, maybe cardamom? White Pepper? There is also a similar note to Pickled Imp in here. I'm not getting any florals. There may be a light patchouli presence, as something is grounding this blend and making it earthy.

Overall: I get a warm, earthy scent with just a bit of spice. Queen wears fairly close to the skin for me.

Vetiver and... chocolate? It's hard for me to tell what else is going on in this, because vetiver likes to beat my nose into submission and then crawl up my forehead to give me a migraine. I'm going to have to wash this off.

9/28/2009 - I was going through a bunch of imps and decided to try both this and Iago again, in the vague hope that my tastes have matured and I'd like vetiver now. I still don't like vetiver, but I'm no longer convinced Queen contains any. Whatever it does contain, I still don't like it. This one makes me glad for the existence of rubbing alcohol. Time to go put on something that likes me.

Edited by innocent

Wore this one today and loved it. There was something sweetly spicy about it. I kept surreptitiously smelling my wrists in class. Unfortunately, a few hours after putting it on, the scent faded a lot. Soon there after, it was all gone; it didn't even last an afternoon! Very disapointing since I loved it so much.