Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
foxroses

Lady Lilith

Climbing rose, vanilla cream, vanilla flower, white tea, mandarin, red and white musks, opium poppy, Parma violet, and opoponax.

This is lovely. It smells like a lightly floral tea scent, like an elegant lady at a tea party in some long-forgotten era. Feminine and wistful, very nice.

I can smell references with this blend to Belle Epoque (mandarin, vanilla, opium), but there is more of an incensy feel, and slightly more sweetness. It starts out rather juicy-tangerine-sweet, but over time mellows a little under the influence of the opoponax and musks.

Despite my relying on red musk to sex up a blend on my skin, this blend remains pretty refined for me. The feel I get from it is sort of a strawberry-golden glowing. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a ton of staying power for me... but I believe I'll hold on to my bottle. With age, it could turn even more beautiful.

First of all, I love the painting that inspired this. Plus everything in this blend sounded so pretty, I couldn't wait to see (smell?) what they would be like together. The only things that were iffy were the red musk - can be overpowering, violet and opoponax (because I don't know what opoponax smells like...).

In the bottle...oh my, this is a dead ringer for what Lucy Westenra smelled like when I first got her. Orange creamsicles and heady florals. The only notes they actually have in common are white musk and rose, but the mandarin probably smells like blood orange to my nose, and the opoponax and frankincense might have similar qualities...other than that, I don't know what makes this smell so much like my beloved Lucy, but I'm really okay with it!

There is a sparkle to the white tea and mandarin at first, and the florals are so seamlessly blended and beautiful underneath, with the musks and opoponax giving this depth...it's simply beautiful. There's an almost edible quality to the lushness of the florals. Oddly, I don't get vanilla cream or vanilla flower as distinctive notes in this - there is a sweet, creamy quality to it but I usually amp vanilla and that is not an issue with this blend.

In short, I am in love. <3 (And the fiance approves, yay!)

In the decant, white tea and mandarin. Very nice.

Wet, still tea and mandarin. And while I don't normally like citrus scents, the tea and citrus complement each other beautifully.

Dry, this fades and disappears incredibly quickly...I *think* I'm getting a hint of rose and violet...but that's with my nose touching my wrist, and me breathing in as hard as I can...which is a shame, because it was so pretty to start off with. I will give it another try, perhaps applying a bit more, but I fear it may wind up in my swaps pile.

hm, i am having mixed feelings on this one. one one hand, the vanilla+rose+mandarin combination is quite nice. the musks are in the background and smell neither like red or white musk to me. there is something in this that's kind of off on me, but i am having trouble describing it...it's almost sour or sharp, but not quite. this smells a LOT like oscar de la renta on me, which my grandmother wore when she was alive, and i can't really shake the association. i think i'll have to pass on this one.

Lady Lilith: Forum Only

In the Bottle:

Smells very much like Beaver Moon 2007 to me - I guess I smell the vanilla cream the most.

On my Skin, Wet:

Like a mandarin Beaver Moon 2007!

Cream! Vanilla! Mandarin!

oh, wait - there's a hint of musk peeking out - I can't tell if it's the red or white variety though.

On my Skin, Dry:

Still very creamy vanilla.

the mandarin has subsided somewhat, and the rose is coming out now.

still vaguely musky - but I don't know my musks well enough to tell you whether it's the red or white one.

maybe both? so - it's pink musk!

Verdict:

I LOVE that this starts out like a mandarin Beaver Moon 2007!

it becomes more complex as it wears, and luckily for me the notes are gorgeous!

9 of 10 Ranking!

Edited by Akurarei

Starts out sparkling citrus and the white tea note, very fruity. It settles down more creamy and musky with the same almost-fruity red musk from Mme. Moriarty.

Oh, I figured out this smells very much like if you had to blend Embalming Fluid and Mme. Moriarty together! Mind-blowing, huh?

ETA: Had to add that this is one of the few blends with rose in it that works for me without going sharp and sour.

Edited by cinderfallen

This one is really interesting to me - it smells like warm cake with some florals in it. This is a warm, slightly vanilla, slightly sweet skin scent.

Actually, this smells like I wish Snake Oil did on me.

The boy isn't entirely fond of it, or else I'd consider a bottle.

Very sexy, very natural, very skin scent. Sensual and warm.

In the bottle: Light tea and gorgeous mandarin.

On wet: Sugared mandarin and both musks - they all smell fantastic together! :P

Drydown: Lovely tea, rose and mandarin, vanilla, musk, poppy, even the violets! All of the notes have hit my radar at one point or another (except the opoponax, which I think is grounding everything and isn't as noticeable - fine by me since I'm not a huge fan), and they've since combined into this light, sophisticated melange of gentle, sweet, fruity-floral-musky goodness.

Overall: High end yet wearable. Appropriate for any occasion. Perfect for those who've been craving a good fruity-tea scent - like me! Absolutely delicious, and an easy 4/5. :D

Ahhhh... a new scent to love with all my heart and soul! I'm so pleased!

Lady Lilith went on sweet, a little milky-smelling, with a sort of "essence of flowers" hint at florals without actually turning into the rabid screamingness that florals usually turn into on me.

It dries down as sweet, spiced flowers. (Again, GOOD flowers. Nice flowers. Flowers that smell good--amazing!)

After an hour or so, this has turned into a soft, pale, vanilla scent. It's very faint (I could probably slather this scent without ill effects), but lovely.

For the rest of the day, the scent was a soft, barely-there vanilla, but not a foody one. It is a very light-smelling scent, and gives a sense of milk or cream with it.

Not only did this delight my heart, but it might also be the perfect bedtime scent... Hmmmm.

In the imp: Cream, citrus, sweet light florals, a bit of spice, wow, this smells amazing.

Fresh on the skin: Spicy creamy musky light citrus-floral... soap. Noooooooo! It smells so nice in the imp. I hope the soap goes away as it dries. *crosses fingers*

10 minutes in: Sweet, creamy, delicate floral... soap. I wish I knew what it is that's turning to soap on my skin. This is a pretty nice soap, high quality, french milled, and with a lovely texture, but. I'm getting some baby powder too. Hrm. And the citrus has burned right off.

20 minutes in: Oh. Oh. This is still powdery, but it's gone quite nice. I think it's the vanilla coming through and bringing everything together. I'm still getting quite a bit of spicy on a hint of floral, and something incensey -- maybe the opoponax? This may be redeeming itself.

30 minutes in: Yes. This has turned into well-blended loveliness on a canvas of baby powder. I can't describe it, but I do like it.

1 hour in: Light, sweet, baby powdery. Nice enough but not really my thing.

1.5 hours in: This is fading exceedingly fast. I can barely tell it's there anymore.

2 hours in: Well. This is effectively gone. There might be the tiniest hint of sweet baby powder on my skin, faint and laundryish, but it's just as likely I'm making that up.

Verdict: This is the first scent I've ever tried where the disparity between in the imp and on my skin is so great that I've thought that maybe I should get a scent locket. Because, oh, this is so lovely in the imp! But it's just not the impressive on my skin, even for the short period of time it sticks around.

One word: powder.

As others have said, this blend is a real morpher. In the bottle, delicious. On my skin, not so much. I'm beginning to think that musk and opium are always deal-breakers for me. When I read reviews that use the word "sophisticated" I am generally in trouble. :P On dry-down, Lady Lilith became very grown-up-lady perfume, sharp and generic. I think I'll try it in a locket and see if I can keep that sweet fruity scent that wafted from the bottle. Otherwise, off to swaps she goes!

I was a little wary of this one due to it having four different florals, one of them being violet, which almost never works on me. But as it turns out, I've been very back and forth on it during the several times I've tried my decant -- and sometimes it's been quite nice. But it's smelled a little bit different each time I've tried it, which makes it a bit challenging to review.

Most of the time, I find the mandarin and tea are the most immediately noticeable notes when it's freshly applied -- it's quite bright and sharp initially. Sometimes it stays that way for a fair length of time, but other times the red musk quickly becomes dominant after that, and together with the fruitiness of the mandarin and the earthy undercurrent of opoponax gives it a slightly similar feel to Madame Moriarty, though a bit lighter and sweeter. I very much like it when it's in that phase. Other times, the florals seem to be stronger, and it becomes less of a musk and more of a fruity floral, which I am less enthused about, since that tends to make it too sweet for my liking. And then there are times when the myrrh/opoponax and tea seem to take over, giving it a bit of a tart/bitter edge.

So this is a highly changeable scent, sometimes going through several of the above phases in a single wearing, sometimes inside of the first hour. And it rarely lasts more than an hour or two -- in all its variations, it tends to be fairly short-lived, except when applied to my cleavage, where it seems to last longer, but nearly always in the overly sweet floral-fruit mode.

If I could get it to more reliably go the musky Madame Moriarty-ish route, and last a little longer, I would really love this scent. But as it stands, it's a little too unpredictable, and doesn't always go where I'd like it to, so while I'll experiment a bit further, I suspect I'll eventually end up swapping it.

Grade: C+ to A, depending. Probably averaging a B or so.

In imp: light, incense-y floral with juicy orange.

Wet on skin: rose, mandarin, tea and cool white musk. Perhaps a little poppy. Cool and perfumy. A little too thin and sharp for my taste. Where is the vanilla cream? It passes through a phase of being predominantly tea, then it warms up as musk and incense come out to play.

Dry on skin: Ah - there's the vanilla cream, and very nice it is too! It all blends seamlessly together and the effect is beautiful. This scent seams to lie in layers, with gorgeous vanilla cream close to the skin, while the throw is somewhat sharp and incense-y. I'm not a fan of rose or violet, but I would wear this. In summary: a soft, creamy, incense-y, musky floral. The later stages are even lovelier, but at that stage it stays very close to the skin.

In the bottle: Sweet, floral, a little dusty, a bit creamy. Violet, rose, vanilla cream, and mandarin are all distinct, along with the cola-esque red musk that reminds me a bit of Snake Oil.

Wet: Red musk, whoa! Sweet and more dusty-powdery, only barely kept in check by the sweet-tart mandarin and the smooth white tea.

Dry: It's become more powdery, and a bit soapy too - the violet is the powder, the rose the soap I think, and then the poppy is a bit dusty, too - sniffing closely, the combination makes me want to sneeze.

Summary: Sweet, boozy, powerful red musk and creamy vanilla with powdery violet, soapy rose, dusty opium, and rich white tea. The mandarin doesn't linger and the red musk amps over time. Strong throw and lasting power.

This doesn't work on my skin with the vanilla, red musk, and particular florals. I do think it actually smells a bit like baby powder, too, which I do not like at all...alas, and I had such hopes for this one. I guess the Lilith scents are not for me.

In the vial: Rose, resin, something ethereal (violet?), and something crisp, maybe citrusy?

Wet: Delicate rose and violet, really very charming and ethereal.

Twenty minutes: Rose and violet. Still very ethereal, and it may be too violet-y for me.

One hour: A gentle, soft scent. It reminds me of baby powder, which is probably because I smell violets, which remind me of orris root, which reminds me of handmade scented baby powder from my college days. It is very pretty and entirely in keeping with the art on the bottle label.

Two hours: A little more complex now, and the resin has come up, but extremely light still. I have the feeling if I age this one it will smell different. That often happens with scents that are initially very light on me.

Three hours: Still gentle, sort of a vanilla-resin scent now.

Five hours: Just a bit of vanilla and the remnants of violet. A qualified success on my chemistry.

I noticed a change at the end of the first week but have resisted the urge to try it again. I definitely think a bit of aging is called for on this one.

In the bottle: Wow! I am getting a large whiff of orange with some nice florals in the background.

On the skin: Hmmmm, I was expecting this to be an "oh, my must hoard!" scent, but instead I think it is nice, but nothing exceedingly wonderful. Maybe there is just something wrong with my skin chemistry right now. *sigh* Smells just orangey on me with no hint of florals or anything else. Just pure orange. This one is probably going to have to go to a better home.

When these scents came out I had a really hard time choosing which to order. I didn't have the money to get all three, and finally went with Lilith Victoria, which I love. I kept wanting to try this one though, so finally got a decant of it this week.

Wet: At first it is more floral than I expected, and I am a bit bummed. There is something slightly astringent, which I think is the tea.

Drying: Oh my god, this just became amazing. It is actually a bit like Zarita on me now, mandarin and vanilla cream and gentle florals. It is amazing! Ooh, the tea is there now too, and this is just the perfect blend on me, smells like vanilla, cream, tea, and mandarin with just a touch of the florals and musks.

Dry: Not quite as nice, very close to the skin and with little throw, but if I stick my nose right along my wrist I can smell the vanilla cream and florals.

A great scent, I just wish I could have it permanently in the stage before fully dry. I will try it in a scent locket tonight.

Wet: Mandarin with a grounding of white and creamy and soft.

Dried: Floral but not overpoweringly so ... creamy and powdery and well-blended, with hints of tea and mandarin if you sniff really hard. Nice.

She's my Lady L -

This is my favorite, I love the bright orange and tea, it softens when it dries into musky rose and tea. It's super lovely and I'm glad I've been able to pick up a few bottles.

In the bottle – The sweet soft citrus of the manderin

Wet on me – Lavender and the soft, sweet vanilla cream

Dry on me – Soft, powdery, milky vanillla

Overall – A very delicate scent, I like it, but I think it could do with a bit of a kick. Having said that, as with The Gladdener of All Hearts, I think it would be a great sleep blend

Wet this is florals and maybe some grape. When first on this is strong florals, hyacinth maybe or a white floral. After just a couple of minutes it softens and starts to warm up. I think there's some citrus in here- it's a light citrus. This must be the mandarin. After about an hour a medium bodied musk develops. After several hours this is a lightly sweet vanilla and musk blend. There's also something in here that smells very purple, like grape or hyacinth. On the dry down this is a lovely soft violet and floral blend with a hint of citrus far in the background. This is a very elegant and feminine blend. Lovely!

In the vial: Mandarin & floral.

Wet: Lemon, floral & tea.

Dry: Rose powder & citrus tea with a splash of vanilla.

Overall: I'm really unsure about this. I like the tea note but I'm not a fan of roses.