Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
xoe

Black Cat

A very tricky kitty, indeed. Used most often as a key to bringing back the joy one needs to have in life in order for living to feel worthwhile. Brings back a sense of delight in simple pleasures, and creates a surge of childlike curiosity and a youthful sense of fun. This blend can also be used to reverse troublesome lesser crossings, create a playful air of catlike sexuality, and, because cats will be cats, it can also be used to throw minor, irritating or bothersome hexes, causing small amounts of chaos and disruption to your foes.

White and soapy—sort of Dove soap, not slightly green soap a la Come to Me. Stating the obvious, but it’s not quite “black” so far. Then, after an hour or two, this gets to be stronger and waftier—still strongly soapy, but with a tad bit of muskiness to it. After three hours, it still has the strong white soap scent wafting about, but when sniffing the skin, this smells like more pleasant (less strong) soap with a hint of herbs and flowers. Fifteen minutes after typing that, Black Cat became much less soap-like, because it had become very sweet, with soft, wispy flowers.

totally weird i am wondering if i tried the wrong imp :D it smells like cat on me more specifically cat pee on a rose bush...i couln't wash it off either even w/ hot water and soap :D i think i have some quality that makes animal scents stronger musks go funky and now whatever "cat essence" went wacky sigh...i'll stick w/ my alchol scents and sweets :P

Hmmm.... Black Cat seems to be minty floral in the vial. On me, though, there's juniper, rose, and herbs -- at times, I smell like a dill pickle, at other times, I smell like a rose. Other times, it's all juniper.

And, y'know, it's pleasant enough and inobtrusive, but the dill pickle aura makes me go "buwah?" and into the swap pile it goes.

In the vial and wet, Black Cat was a nice, sweet floral with a tinge of something medicinal, like rubbing alcohol.

As it started to dry, the rose became obvious, accompanied by a minty note and maybe a hint of lotus? It is still sweet, but there is a mix of rose and green going on that reminds me of my beloved (and sadly missed) Virgo.

I am a huge fan of this and after using it a couple times (both in ritual and on my skin), I think I can confidently say that it works! :P

Another wonderful Voodoo blend :D

Scentwise, Black Cat is really nice. On me, it is a mix of mint and roses. The mint is a smooth mint, not a sharp scent like some of the other mint-based scents can be. Voodoo power wise, it's hard to tell, since I tried this on a day where I was already really negative. It possibly made things less negative, but it's hard to gauge. I'll have to try it again on a more average day.

Black Cat was a gift imp in my very first order, and I am so glad to have tried it (I have a 10ml on order, actually)!

That mint note isn't just any mint: it's catnip! My cats don't seem to react, but I do -- I feel like I should be stretching out on the floor, burying my face in a catnip mouse, and purring. :P

On me, Black Cat is a lush, sultry catnip-heavy scent that feels like it is enveloping me but is not overly strong. I wear this one to bed, or when I'm feeling stressed out during the day -- it's very grounding/comforting to me. I'm not very good at picking out individual scents, so to me the background of this scent is a "warm" blend of oils... This blend is all about the catnip for me.

quite potent, but not to the point that it bowls you over.

somewhat floral, it is indeed feminine, but not sweet. I would consider it clean, but there's something in it that doesn't quite fit that word.

Very nice, I think I'll keep it.

In the bottle this smelled very minty, which got me excited, because I wasn't expecting a crisp smell at all.

I tried to slather it on, in my excitement, but the oil itself was very light and thin. I'm surprised how long the scent has lasted: nine hours thus far.

Once on, Black Cat became one of the most beautiful smells. There is a rose note, but on me it is very subdued, some spiciness, but the mintiness has gone away.

I've certainly very peppy today, hoping around pretty joyous. I believe I can be quoted as saying, "Isn't the earth's bounty awesome? I mean an egg is just the perfect bit of reproduction." If that isn't joy, I don't really know what is. I can't speak to the hexes and whatnot, but my boss was pretty nice to me today. :P

On a side note, I'm going to get my cards read tonight! Woohoo

Received this as a thoughtful freebie in a swap.

Wet: Holy mint, batman! Mint, with a floral background.

Drydown: The non-descript floral note that I detected under the mint when wet is now emerging as a lovely, sparkling rose.

Dry: More rose than mint, now. Almost a pure rose to my nose, but with a fresh sprig of minty coolness lurking in the background.

Overall impressions: I did not expect this blend, judging from the name alone. It is a simple scent, but with a nice, light, clean spirit. I did notice upon wearing it today that I was not as "annoyed" by all of the things in the daily grind that usually get me down (crowded trains, hyper teenagers), but was more able to live in the moment and consider the uniqueness of the day's situations. A nice effect! :P

my first review *bounces excitedly* got my very first order in today YAY!!

Black Cat is what i chose to wear to work. though, can't for the life of me figure out why.

in the bottle- not impressed kinda harse smelling like a cleaner of some kind

wet- the smell of wet baby powder exploded into the room! yikes!

when it began to dry down, it calmed down and smelled ....like Evening in Paris on me. NOT what i expected but not bad.

2 hours later- oh...purrr.....it's all soft and musky smelling on my wrists with just a tiny touch of spice. love it gonna get a big bottle. first order out.

The first time I tried this, it smelled really good. I should have done a review then, because this tricky kitty is gone too quickly and I can't barely smell a thing.

Something smelling of dry grasses and fur remains...but not much. Drat.

ADDED April 5:

This is my favorite voodoo oil. I recommend everyone buy at least one 5ml in honor of my dead cat BlackJack who gave me the power of peace of mind and the grace to accept what is given me.

It is like a tribute to the feline spirit and works great as a voodoo oil as well.

This scent is magickal! Woo Hoo! I am thrilled and pleased...will definitely be getting a big bottle. Lab, you all are amazing with the ethereal and the unexplainable!

Bottle/wet: chocolate mint, clean soapy smell and dill undertones (but in a good way)

dry down: clear, soap, clean smell with a small sharp undertone.

Lasts many hours with the clean smell.

HOWEVER: My DH has almost no sense of smell. 99.9% of all smells are lost on him. BUT he snuggled up to me 6 hours after I put it on, sniffed and cooed, "You smell good". In 13 years of marriage, he has never done this. I have always had to thrust my arm under his nose and say, "smell this". So, I am tearfully gratified that he can smell and enjoy this scent. :P

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab! :D

This is actually the second time I've gotten this and I'm just now trying it. :D

First sniff:

To me, this smells like the hot mint tea I drank when I visited Morocco. It's subtle mint and a slightly sweet background that reminds me of sugarcane with a hint of something soapy lingering in the far, far back. Truth be told, I have no interest whatsoever in using this blend for voodoo purposes because I'm not the kind of person who would actually use this blend, at least not as anything other than a perfume, but I'm trying it anyway. :P

Wet on skin:

Mint tea, right on the money! I swear, this smells like freshly brewed mint tea with sugar and it's gorgeous. :D

Dry down:

What the...?! All of a sudden I get flowers with a tiny hint of the mint tea I loved in the imp. I'm horrible at picking out floral notes, but I know this, I just can't place it...rose, maybe? That doesn't sound right, but it's the closest I can come to identifying it right now. I really don't like the dry down on this one, unfortunately, but the wet stage was gorgeous.

The bottom line:

I can't say whether Black Cat works or not because I really don't want to try testing it's effectiveness, but I can say it's gorgeous in the imp and wet, but it loses me on the dry down. :D

First sniff out of the bottle- This one is going to be tough. I am getting...herbal carnation?

After 10 minutes- I am smelling a minty herbal with touches of carnation. this blend is complex. Is that clary sage and witch hazel I smell? This reminds me of what hospital bathrooms smell like. Very clean and sterile. Ok, now I am getting a faint soapy rose note. Very odd.

After 30 minutes- This has to be the strangest smelling BPAL I have tested. It went from herbal carnations to hospital bathroom and now it is rose scented soap.

Summery- This one is too weird for me. Not bad but not good...just weird. It's going in the swap pile.

Black Cat reminds me of Water of Notre Dame in the same clean, white floral-sort of notes to it, with a little more herbalness. It's hard for me to pick out notes beyond that and I haven't tried it for magickal workings yet, so that's as good as this review gets.

In The Imp: Very herbaceous. No scent of rose at all. Sorta masculine and lithe. Warm with a hint of cleanness.

Wet On Skin: Gets musky once it hits my skin, and becomes even more herby. Very slight rose, which I don't mind, considering that I'm not really a fan of strong rose notes.

Dried: Minty, which adds very nicely to the herb and faint rose notes.

Overall Opinion: A little dark, but a little playful too. Reminds me of glowing green eyes in the dark. On me, it's a little too masculine, but I think this would be fabulous on a guy. I might just keep it for the metaphysical (and chaotic!) properties, though. ^_~

Initial Sniff: This is sharply herbal in the vial. I really can't pick out any individual notes, but I do smell a vague sort of mintiness.

Wearing: The initial herbal phase is very nice, but as it dries it turns to roses. Blargh. The roses pass into something distinctly more unpleasant - baby powder. Double Blargh.

Final Impressions: Blargh. 'Nuf said.

A very musty herbal scent, quickly turning to sawdust and powder :P. The florals beneath it all are lovely, but the dustiness really gets to me. Not one of my favorites =( ::huggles her Samhain bottle::

Wet I get a strong rush of mint followed by roses and herbs. As it dries the mint fades and it goes a bit powdery. On my skin it's more of a floral but in my hair I'd say the herbal element is stronger. The first time I wore it I put it on and promptly forgot about it only to find myself in a completely mischievous mood some hours later which had me chewing on my husband. It wasn't until even later that I remembered I'd put on Black Cat. We'll see if it has any affect today.

Black Cat:

Wet: Chemically acrid. Very much like nail polish on me.

Drydown: I start to smell something herbal, and something floral.. rose, perhaps? I'm also starting to detect something resin-y, as I'm getting the weird taste in my mouth that I generally seem to get with resin scents.

Longterm wear: turns to soap. I think I'll have to pass on this one.

Black Cat is a strong acrid herbal smell in the imp. On my skin, it changes to a strange floral smell, still with a pronounced herbal odor. Something new and musty comes out of it -- is there perhaps civet in this blend?

I find it herbal with some flowers (roses, lotus... can't put my finger on it), maybe some mint?

I don't know what is this one made of, but it makes me feel tricky, kinky and makes me want to be evil and chaotic (even just a bit).

Dry it goes serious and deep, with a woody touch.

Lovely scent, as every voodoo blend I've tried so far. A big bottle for me. :D

ETA: Thank you very much to the Lab. :P Somehow they must have felt that I've got a black cat at home! :D

Edited by quimerula

In the bottle: Civet and roses

First on: Rose with a note of musky civet and a slightly cool breath.

After a bit: This takes on a bit of a powdery/soapy note to it. The rose is still quite strong and the muskiness is still there, but it's much softer and elegant now.

A bit more: The rose and civet take turns being dominant, but this still manages to remain soft on me and not all "animal".

I really wish I liked rose based scents, because this is beautiful and soft. Like what a Victorian woman's vanity would smell like, slightly aged lace, scented powders, musky perfumes. But alas, I find they just aren't my thing even though I can appreciate them.

I wish I could tell you what this smelled like on me, but I'm really not sure. It was kind of a minty musk, perhaps resiny. As it dried all day, it became a very bitter soapy smell that I didn't like at all.

I was sending out some energy, or at least trying to, to test the applications described by the Lab but I don't know if it was really working for me. Oh well, you win some you lose some. :P

This one didn't work on my skin at all. Shame, because I ordered a bottle unsniffed, and now I know the imp hates me. It smelled like urine on my skin. :P