Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
xoe

Black Cat

A very tricky kitty, indeed. Used most often as a key to bringing back the joy one needs to have in life in order for living to feel worthwhile. Brings back a sense of delight in simple pleasures, and creates a surge of childlike curiosity and a youthful sense of fun. This blend can also be used to reverse troublesome lesser crossings, create a playful air of catlike sexuality, and, because cats will be cats, it can also be used to throw minor, irritating or bothersome hexes, causing small amounts of chaos and disruption to your foes.

Firstly, I didn't expect too much from this scent. The way others described it, didn't seem to be my cup of tea. However, I can't pass up a black cat when offered to me :P

The scent was ok, and amusing. It smelled like a witches cat. Which is amusing, and of course probably partly my minds issue.

Notes I picked out (lol, naturally my VERSION of notes)
- Cat fur. It was slightly static-y, like when your cat jumps on your desk and rubs against the monitor, then yourself. It wasn't entirely unpleasant, but certainly invoked that nose-tickling fuzzy warm fur feel.
- Catnip. The aforementioned cat must have had a catnip toy in it's mouth, apparently wanting to play. Or a refill. It's hard to tell.
- Witch. Lol well naturally not the cliche of a witch. But like when you come home (if you're like me and slightly witchy) from work/school, open the door to find a sister/brother/lover/other/old you had left incense on, or out. Combined with fresh pressed herbs from whatever project being worked out. It's an earthy, slightly but not quite medicinal feel, along with a touch of something like love, or wit, or amusement. Joy? I certainly associate true love (my ideas) with wit, amusement, games, and childish fun. This invokes all of that.

I didn't bother trying to figure out -real- notes, I enjoyed the image I got much too well. This scent will be traded, simply because I can't see myself wearing it, nor do I use oils for my version of rituals often. However, this has a lot of fun about it. It is most -certainly- the smell of a witches cat. Black cat, spot on. It's worth a sniff, at the least.

It did turn more floral/soapy on me as it wore through the day. I forgot to mention the black cat is exceptionally clean... or got into something. Edited by CaffinatedAngel

Well I can't say that I'm going to get much wear out of this one, thankfully I only got an imp of it. It sounded like it would be a great oil for me, especially since my spirit animal and animal form is the black cat, but sadly it does not like my chemistry and even repelled my girlfriend from me.

When I first applied the oil to my wrists it was extremely minty, green, herbs and medicinal and soapy. I like catmint/catnip, but this was not that kind of mint; mixing that with the medicina, it just made it worse.

After about 25 minutes, I had my girlfriend smell it and she immediatly repelled backward, "smells like too many flowers and old old woman perfume." I smelled it and found that the green, herbs and medicinal and soapy was fading but it was still strongly Minted and now starting to choke with way too much floral.

After 3 hours have passed, it is now largly a scent of Roses and Rose water or powder.

I'll keep the imp and age it for a bit to see if anything improves, but so far I'm really sad that this isn't working with my chemistry the way i had hoped. :P

Starts out as a minty, lemongrassy scent; morphs quickly into a dusty, herbal rose on my skin. Interesting change! I really love this one,but the imp is enough for me; it's a beautiful rose but there are so many great lab roses to be had. Still really glad for the imp though!

In the Bottle: Earthy rose.

On the Wrist: Slightly spicy damask rose. Unfortunately on me the rose goes soapy and makes me want to sneeze.

Verdict: Lovely, but not for me. It came as a frimp from the lab and was the first really strong rose scent I had tried.

In the bottle: Fresh mint.

Wet: Mint, a hint of lemongrass, and some darker herbs beneath that certainly remind me of witches stirring things in cauldrons with black cats rubbing against their legs. Interesting start!

Dry: Soap :eek:

Unfortunately I'd left the house before it dried and therefore couldn't wash it off immediately, and an hour after applying the mint started to amp again, but close to the skin the scent was definitely still soap. One of my friends sniffed my wrist and said she smelled talcum powder, too. Glad I only have an imp of this, I'll probably just dump the whole thing in the bathwater. :huh?:

In the vial: soap and mint

wet: aquatics and mint

drydown: This would be a good summer scent, but I think it's a little masculine with my chemistry. The mint is very nice. It's a very cool scent.

erm okay first review for me. ^_^

all i can say is black cat is very odd, at first quiff i couldent stand it, awful minty soil kinda smell, kinda like tobacco but then the smell goes and is slowly replaced by what i call a strange cross between herbal sweets and turkish delight, which i dont find so bad.

but by the time i get used to that smell its full on turkish delight, which i great for me as i cant stand eating it but LOVE the smell. so to me black cat is def a keeper but be aware that this is indeed a tricky blend as it does bring you good luck but from what i've found makes everyone else have bad days. i also crashed a computer at my local post office, a day after i first put the scent on but i've found its strong enough to last through until the next day.

so yeah thats my review :ack:

I was initially intrigued by this one because I own a black cat. His name is Garlock, and he's whiny and wussy and I spoil him rotten. I figured it was only right to try and oil that describes him, at least in some basic sense. I also like the idea of a scent that promotes childlike curiosity and fun, while nixing minor troublesome things. Grad school can sometimes suck the joy out of life, at least around finals, and I'd definitely like to be able to hex my math TA, or at least unjinx the quizzes. I was expecting a braindead kind of day, what with the time change and the impending finals and a math quiz, so this was a good one to try today.

In the imp: Soft, sweet, and minty.

Wet on skin: Mostly mint, but it's sweetened in a way that suggests something floral is behind it. Couldn't tell you what flower yet, though.

Drydown: Much the same as wet - a sweet, slightly floral herbal mint. It's very bright and springy. At one hour in, the mint is less sharp and more herbal, and there's something a bit more grassy in there, too. The floral sweetness comes across rather like rose pastilles, and there's also something a little tangy showing up, though I'm not sure what it is.

Five hours later: A smooth combination of herby green, vaguely roseish sweetness, and a still-unidentified tangy note. It's not a strong scent, but it hasn't faded much since the one hour mark, either.

End of the day: The unidentified tangy note remains, though faintly. I still can't ID it.

Overall: I like! The scent is springy overall, and contains notes that can be distinctly identified, but combines them in a way so that nothing is overwhelming or unnatural. This is the sort of floral thing I can actually wear, because it is not mostly floral. I really like the mint, and I'm fond of the unidentified tangy thing, too. Also, I found that I was in a pretty good mood today, despite being completely exhausted and having no attention span. I was able to laugh about that, rather than whine over it (like Garlock would do). I also did not feel so vexed by tonight's math quiz! I'm not sure how much of this had anything to do with Black Cat, but I liked the smell enough on its own that I'd wear this again, even if it doesn't have any special effects otherwise.

Sniffed in imp: Light yellow oil. Sweet-tart, green and herbal. Peppermint and something lemony, possibly verbena, and something more mentholic, like tea tree oil. A little medicinal, or like aromatherapy.

Wet: More of the tea tree oil, more medicinal/antiseptic, although the sweetness of the also-amped peppermint keeps that aspect in check. I do think there is verbena here, but a well-behaved one - not LEMON PLEDGE OF DOOM.

Dry: Rose came out of nowhere & is dominating majorly, and a very soapy rose, too. Tea tree oil is completely gone, and this is much fainter, and no longer very herbal or green.

Summary: Rose soap over faint peppermint and lemon verbena. Surprisingly insane throw; it faded a lot initially, but then ramped back up sickeningly when the rose emerged. Eek.

:eek:

Edited by fairnymph

um; lemons and roses; dishwashing soap with old lady panty sachet...

but, in an oddly smooth and beautifully blended manner :(

This is definitely a light and playful scent with a hint of intriguing spiciness that stops just short of being too overwhelmingly incense-like for my tastes. I'm quite fond of this and it makes me feel energized and mischievous. :twisted:

I bought this without knowing at all what it smelled like-- I didn't even read the reviews, just popped a bottle in my cart because my cat told me to. It turns out that if I had known the notes, I ABSOLUTELY would have ordered this anyway! It's like this perfume was made for me, I have an affinity for all cats (friends call it "obsessed"), and it turned out to be the perfect perfume for me.

In the bottle, I smell freshly picked mint and roses. Wet on the skin, the mint and rose are out front and lovely, reminding me quite a bit of Ouija. Then, some very pungent herbs push their way to the front, bullying the other scents out of the way. This lasts only a few minutes before the herbs decide that they can play well with the roses after all. It settles down into this wonderfully complex fragrance full of roses and fresh herbs and... it's to die for. I can't give it justice. It lasts for freaking ever on my skin too, eventually becoming a slightly dusty mix of dried herbs and rose petals many hours later, which I also love. I could seriously wear this every day.

Also, it works as advertised for me. I've been at a point where I could really use some joy brought back in my life. I put some of this on during a typical "blah" day, and without really thinking about it just found myself smiling more, and laughing at the small stuff. I found myself playing tag with my cats all around the house. It's not a cure-all, but for me it seems to lend itself well to just finding pleasure in the little things that get lost when the big picture seems bleak.

I get a handful of crushed mint leaves, but it's warm mint, not cool. A little bit herbal... then after five minutes it morphs to powder. It's still a minty powder, if that makes any sense. Perhaps one to keep for its intended uses rather than its fragrance. :)

Got this because I have a black cat, and who could argue with that reasoning? It's interesting, but in the words of Dr Horrible, I don't love this.

Impressions: Lemon? Lemon verbena? Plus something else herbal that I can't quite identify. Usually my skin likes mint, so if (as others have been saying) there is mint in here, I'm baffled. It's more like...I don't know, catnip or something on me--earthier and more grounding for the lemon. Nice throw and decently long-lasting, but not a knockout. I don't hate it, and might reach for it once in a while if I want a bright, not-so-sweet scent, but wouldn't be sorry to give it to someone who would appreciate it more.

Though my own black cat did come over and plop himself on my lap as soon as I sat down after putting this on. Coincidence?

Starts out strong peppermint and lemon, and something musky like an animal, and maybe a tiny bit of chocolate.

Soon after there's a lot of rose, lemony rose. The rose gets spicier after a while.

It fades fast, I think it would be good in a scent locket.

in the bottle: something minty and sharp, not a soft mint at all. with the faintest idea that there might be something anise-like back there, but maybe only to my nose.

wet: the almost-anise completely disappears leaving a pretty little rose and some sort of cold mint behind it.

dry-after-a-bit: there's a light spiciness that seems to come out as the oil dries, it never completely takes the prime position of the minty-rose, but it's decidedly more noticeable.

overall: a lovely and quirky little blend, but i'm slightly afraid it's going to go to powder at any second. but so far so good.

A Frimp from the lab! :wub2:

Imp: nothing. Nothing? Curiousity killing me, I impulsively slather it on my wrist. Does the juju in Black Cat *work*? Quite obviously. Hubby (the ever-so-NON-perfumed) astoundingly allowed this on his wrist to test the magic (no report back as of yet but his even allowing it speaks to the efficacy).

Initial: cassis maybe, and anise

Past initial: damask rose with something sweeter, probably peony. Lasts very well on my skin, where nothing usually lasts well. I love the lab roses, having never grwon up with old ladies and bad memories.

Impressions: A lovely black cat walking in my rose peony garden. I don't get mint, but then maybe mint does not show on me, because when I use mint, it is very strong and pure. I"m not one to throw evils anyone's way, but I did get a little urge to just *try* (giggle) so I'm sure this one has got some real power.

this one is definitely rose for me, a powdery rose, but there is also a sour note; not an unpleasant sour note, exactly, more like the sour scent you get off of dried flowers. (reading some of the other reviews, i'm wondering if maybe i'm not just picking up on the lemon note that others are getting? hmm!)

all in all, i really like this one. i'm not sure if i'll be keeping it seeing as how i'm a rose freak and have so many rose bpal scents already :P but i may. it's growing on me by the minute! &i do love me some black cats . . .

Floral, powdery, and lemony :P Not my cup of tea. Too bad since I'm a crotchety old cat lady in the making...

This is a cool, high and crisp scent in the vial, somewhat herbal but a rather hard scent to describe. On my skin, a rose scent comes out to play as the herbal scent mixes with it, and fades as the rose strengthens, to give the rose a herbal edge; the whole scent become much warmer and slightly sweeter on me. After a few hours the rose fades down to a soft breath of sweetness on my skin.

Very pretty, and my boyfriend mentioned that I smelled good today! ^_^