Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
xoe

Black Cat

BLACK CAT

A very tricky kitty, indeed. Used most often as a key to bringing back the joy one needs to have in life in order for living to feel worthwhile. Brings back a sense of delight in simple pleasures, and creates a surge of childlike curiosity and a youthful sense of fun. This blend can also be used to reverse troublesome lesser crossings, create a playful air of catlike sexuality, and, because cats will be cats, it can also be used to throw minor, irritating or bothersome hexes, causing small amounts of chaos and disruption to your foes.

Wow. being first is difficult. I'm not sure how one would go about using Black Cat, but I'm going to make it a point to find out. Especially the part about bringing back the joy.

However, as a general perfume, Black Cat is rosey and clean. There is a slight spiciness. A slight sweetness. Really well blended.

All in all, a highly recommended scent. Especially if it does all that it's supposed to do. :P

Okay .. this was one of the freebies in my latest order .. and I hadn't read this review until after I'd tried it.

My first impression, probably tainted by the name but there you go .. was this is the scent of a black cat. That really was the first image in my head smelling this right out of the imp. I don't get any hint that there's rose in this, smelling the imp .. even after putting it on me and knowing it's there.

But the saving grace of the rose in this is that it's not too overpowering. Even as I type, this is mellowing to something sweet and floral and just a little-bit spicey. I'll have to give this at least another try as a perfume before deciding if it's going to be put in the 'magical use only' pile .. but for now, I'll give it a shot.

FIRST SNIFF: slithering herbals...

WEARING IT: a faint crushed herbal scent followed by dried roses and....dill? every few sniffs i hint upon the spiciness that tygher mentioned but mostly i smell a light floral/dill scent...why, oh why do i smell this!

VERDICT: too bad this scent doesn't really appeal to me, i was really looking forward to having some joy brought back into my life! if it were just the nice floral i could handle it but for some reason the nice smell is followed by a lingering dill scent...which just isn't my thing.

I just tried black cat. I'm sorry to say that it didn't work out. I wanted to love it, but it turned into strong lemony dishwashing soap on my skin and its getting worse by the minute...

I'm going to wash it off now....so very sad :P

Edited by feycat

When first applied, this one has a whoosh of mint and what I think is lotus, as it's almost melony. There's a touch of something slightly medicinal and a twist of dill which usually means there's some rose in the blend (sometimes my skin turns rose into a pickle).

Once it dries, the mint evaporates and I get an herby rose, like a rose bush growing in the center of an herb (dill and mint) garden. It's better than it sounds. The herbs keep the rose from being too sweet or simple.

As for its voodoo capabilities, I have felt a 'youthful sense of fun today. ' But more than that, I've felt very 'solid,' with people coming to me for reassurance or compassion which I then find I have more than ample resources to give. So I think there might be something to it.

This is quite crazy, it smells a little herbally initially, then the dried roses are the next prominent note, but lingering on the edges of the roses is a faint crushed mint scent. Personally I cant detect the lotus note and I wouldnt know what Dill is if it hit me in the head *dies*

It feels quite energetic as a blend and quite nice to wear on its own. Definitely a keeper here.

Sadly, I had the same experience as feycat. Black Cat on me was incredibly strong, sharp, and soapy. It gave me a headache, and was very difficult to wash off. It sounds like such a cool oil, I wanted it to work out - but sadly, my skin didn't want anything to do with this one.

in the vial: Minty iced tea?

on my skin: Rose. Mint. Herballiness. POWDER. Dammit. I'm not sure about this...

This does indeed personify Black Cat. One thing I gotta say about it is that it does its job...I feel all playful and naughty and slinky, and I have the urge to start calling people I have crushes on and being flirty as all get out. :P I'd better go wash this off...lol :D :D

It IS awfully powdery, though. :D

Scent-wise, I'm not wild about this one but I don't dislike it either. It smells better in the bottle, minty and floral, than it does on me - something sharp and offputting comes out on my skin. However, I didn't get it for the scent, I got it for the name (I adore my two black kitties and I burn black cat candles to banish obstacles) and what it's purported to do.

I tried it this past week and without going into detail, it worked well. And fast. I am really impressed with the efficacy of BPAL's Voodoo oils and this is easily one of my top 3, the other two being Blockbuster and Horn of Plenty. I never thought I would buy a 5 ml bottle just for candle dressing and not personal wear, but I think I will have to with this.

On first sniff, I'm getting something like catnip, sage, and licorice. Crisp and feral.

After a few minutes on my skin, it dries out to the exact scent of Turkish delight candy, and I keep checking the test spot in case I'm mistaken:

-- [sniff] Yup, still Turkish delight.

-- How about now?

-- [sniff] Rosewater and gelatin, that's the stuff alright.

It's pleasant, but oddly disconcerting.

black cat

at first: the lab threw this in as a freebie. sweet, like brown sugar, and very herbal. lovely, in a weird way. i think i almost catch some chocolate in there, too.

on: damn. i really wanted to like this. unfortunately, it's just a weird floral. i don't think i like it.

half an hour later: it's a little better. there's an almost candy-like dryness to it now. however, it's mostly that not-so-nice floral, so i still don't like it. this is one that i actually want to go sweet on me.

4 hours later: still that sharp, almost-soapy floral. i really don't like this one.

7.5 hours later: a little bit sweeter, but still that biting floral, too.

overall: i don't think i'll end up wearing this. however, it may be good in ritual or in my oil burner. depending on how much i use it, i may get another imp.

Yeeeeeow! All I got from this one from application to drydown is a sinus headache inducingly strong floral. That refused to die! Black Cat was extremely long lasting on me, but not in a good way!

Thank goodness this little kitty found a new,loving home with another forumite!

Black Cat

Preconceived Notions: I tend to be melancholy or blissful. Simple joy might be a nice respite from all that intensity.

In the vial: warm vanilla and cool mint, plus some sort of sweet floral or musk.

On me:

First whiff: A green note comes in, and that’s all I smell at first, somewhat grassy.

Then, in a minute or two, I get the mint and vanilla again, mixed in with that green note. This is a very warm, mint, and grassy scent, so far - very sunny smelling - exactly like a cat lounging outside in the grass.

After half an hour: Mmm...I can’t pick out any notes, but this is very comforting. It smells like soap that has been scented with various essential oils, including a majority of incense-type scents. It reminds me vaguely of my dragon’s blood soap that I got at the local Farmer’s Market a couple of years ago. It doesn’t waft much, but the scent near the skin is very nice. I wish I could describe it better.

After 45 minutes: Now, I’m getting rosy soap instead of incense-like soap. Still good, though :)

Final impression: I normally don’t like soapy scents, and rose is something I generally like in small doses or blended with something strong. Yet this is lovely to me, even when it gets to the soapy rosy phase. And who knows, maybe I’ll have more joy!

Edited because I'm an idiot.

Edited by Witch's Dagger

Well, I liked it fair enough when I put it on. Flowers, citrus and coconut. Smelled like a cat, yes. But after an hour or two, it's transformed into something vile, alcalic. Still some sort of flowers behind it, but the alcalic smell is so strong it almost makes me gag. I can't wait until my break when I can go and wash this off.

Wow. It is truly remarkable how these scents are so very different person to person.

In the bottle I was not thrilled. I could not put my finger on what I thought it smelled like.

On me - immediately - OK, nothing to write home about. Light floral.

Definitely no rose or mint or cat smell.

An hour later - my friend kept saying she could smell me and she liked it. The scent to me became very light and a little powdery but not baby powderish at all.

Now - 8 hours later....I can't smell anything really - maybe a very light powdery perfume.

Bottom line for me is I really like it. It is not overpowering at all. Next time I will put more on and in more spots. I just tried it on my wrists. Also, I did get pretty silly after about an hour or two then felt very serene. About 4 hours later I got iritable. So I think I did become a little like my cat! teehee.

Sharp, minty, and herbal in the vial and for the first half hour or so. This dries down into a dusty, light floral with a touch of mint. It's pleasing, it's definitly soothing, very much a cat curled up with a good book scent. I can't quite speak on its abilities at work just yet but it is nice enough that I'll keep the imp around

oh, how i wanted to love this! in the vial it's all green static electricity- minty and herbal and lightly floral. the description brings up some things i'd love to work with in my life right now, particularly the bit about clearing minor crossings and small hexes. :P unfortunately, for as wonderful as this smells in the bottle, and as lovely as it is during the first five minutes of application, it immediately goes acrid and sour on me. it smells the same as other aquatics on my skin at this point, like water of notre dame and tears. i really wonder what it is about me and aquatics.

sigh. i hope this oil works on somebody, because it truly is gorgeous.

In bottle: Spearmint. This is a darkened mint, like mint plants growing up in shadow. There's some vague florals in the background.

On me: The lotus note is strong and is an interesting - odd - combination with the mint. This is a very unusual fragrance...I don't really know what to think of it. I haven't noticed much of a change in me (I'm naturally curious and playful anyway) but I'm curious how it has effected any enemies I might have. :P

Roses. Lots of Roses. I know that it's roses because it smells like my great grandmother's bedroom, and she, like me, loved roses. The moment I put this on, I felt 4 years old again, running my finger along the lace edge of the cloth on her dresser, looking at my grandmother's wedding photo. I remembered sitting on her lap and hugging her..

And yet, it's not old ladyish. It made me feel playful and mischevious.. I like it. I see bigger bottles in my future of this...

The scent did not change too much on me, except the roses coming out in full force... so there's not much to say about the dry down. But my computer room still smells like it. :P

Wow! I generally don't like florals but this is such a pretty soft scent. At first there is a definite herbal, green component. Then it dries to a very delicate soft rose scent. I am not getting any mint. Very soft, very feminine. This would be good for days when I want to feel "pretty" as opposed to "sexy."

This is definitely a keeper!

First sniff: Chilly, minty, green. I wasn’t expecting cold – this poor kitty has just come in out of a winter night and her fur is chilly as she twines around your ankles. In the vial, Black Cat smells oddly like Lush’s Freeze shower gel.

Wearing: Wet on my skin it still smells like Freeze… and then a few minutes later, there’s a breath of rose. I don’t think I’ve ever smelled rose and mint together… it’s very interesting. Sadly, when it dries, it turns to powdery rose and just isn't me.

Initial (wet) reaction: Whoa, NICE! The *only* word to describe this scent is "clean." Intensely clean. Beautiful.

Unfortunately it went downhill from there. The scent started getting less clean and more herbal, and then a somewhat unpleasant note came out on my skin (oregano? I'm lousy at picking out notes, but I smell like Italian cooking herbs).

Oh well.

It seems rather odd that out of all my other imps that I need to try I picked this one out this morning. Especially since we have to go to my Mother-in-law's biopsy today. Maybe this will keep me from being too sad today. I hope so.

In the Bottle: A light floral with a slight soapy smell to it. Rose and Waxflower maybe? Hmmm...

On Me: Rose and a mint, fresh and clean smelling, refreshing even. This is very cooling, but seems to be fading way too fast. Hmmm...its a peek-a-boo fragrance. The mint reminds me of Shattered without the champagne scent, but the rose is a very nice touch. I catch the Rose scent when my nose is not at my wrist, and the mint scent otherwise. I seriously don't know how you guys do it.

Yes, I like this one a lot. I'll be slathering it on now and will be picking this up as a Big Bottle later on.

Black Cat

In the vial: mostly herbal with a bit of mint sneaking in.

Just after applying the mint goes away and it's mostly an herbal green smelling scent. It's not quite like anything I've tried yet, and I quite like it.

After a few minutes, the mint creeps back in a little bit. It's rather faint, but I can smell it again a little for a few minutes. There is something floral coming out, and from the other reviews I assume that it's rose. This is the first scent that I've tried with rose in it, and it gives me hope for some of the others (Rose Red, be good to me, baby!)

So far, it hasn't given me a headache, which a lot of florals tend to do, so things are looking good! Of the roughly 20 scents I've tried, this is probably the closest to smelling like a commercial perfume, but it's so much more lovely!

The Lab threw Black Cat in with my latest order as a freebie. I'm glad they did. It's been used fairly consistantly at night.

Scent starts with lovely green, herbal bouquet. Very reminiscent of a mist called Prosperity Water I used to use. Dries to a pleasant herbal-rose scent. Very lovely indeed, especially nice to sniff upon waking.

Can't stop using it and will certainlly need to order more soon.