Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amberbella

Chaos Theory

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, an exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct. Each bottle is numbered, and comes with a small parchment certificate.

Chaos Theory LXVIII from the Chaos Run Amok swap circle.

This is one of those scents that starts of watery and weak, but as it dries it gains momentum and throw and POW! This scent is yummy. I smell tonka, musk and a floral that may be gardenia touched with a hint of heliotrope. The longer it wears, the better I like it.

Chaos Theory XXXIII from the Chaos Run Amok swap circle.

This is a super-heady floral blend, bordering on headachy. It's a very old-fashioned floral blend that smells like something that a grown-up lady would have worn when I was a small girl. It tempers much when it dries, but still remains very deep and heady. Almost serious.

Previously reviewed by Emu Nymph.

Chaos Theory XXII from the Chaos Run Amok swap circle.

:D This blend is so beautiful, I don't even know where to begin. This is a perfect floral and whoever was lucky enough to have gotten this, well just :P

Slightly sweet, slightly creamy and all around sexy and feel good. Wow. Just wow.

Previously reviewed by inkstone and goddessrobyn.

Chaos Theory XLVIII

In the bottle: A slightly citrus/vanilla blend with something like a lurking lotus note in there. This smells a lot more citrus this time than it did the last time I sniffed it, but I don't mind the slight change. Vanilla is definitely in this blend, though. It's a nice sweet vanilla. The lotus is not as prominent as the first time I smelled it.

Wet: Vanilla and something that isn't really citrus but is somewhat close to one. There's a slight background note of bubblegum, which tells me that there probably is lotus hiding in there somewhere beneath the almost-citrus and the sweet of the vanilla.

Dry down: This is fading really fast on me. I'm not getting much scent at all even when I smell my hand directly. The throw is a sweet vanilla with just a hint of the lotus. So pretty but not powerful really. On my hand I still have a very faint vanilla/citrus.

Dry: Creamy citrus. Kinda like a vanilla/lemon combination. Interesting, but I'm not sure if it's something I'd really wear.

Previously reviewed by paperdoll, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, quantum spice and inkstone.

Chaos Theory XXXVII (I think)

In the bottle: Well, that's strong and vaguely chemical smelling. I don't even know how to describe it really. It has something of a light scent to it as well but it's hard for me to tell whether it's florals or what that's in there.

Wet: I don't know. To me, this smells like some kind of chemical. And it burns slightly. I mean, more than slightly.

Dry down: This reminds me of something that I've smelled before, but I don't know what it is and it really isn't anything that I like. And it's still burning. It smells very strong to me. Very powerful. There's something that might be a foody or a floral smell but it has a kinda of waxiness to it as well as a backing sweetness.

Dry: It still burns, and I have a headache. Maybe some kind of spice. Cinnamon or something like that. I'm not sure. Gin and I swapped imps of our Chaos Theories but this doesn't smell like the other reviews of this scent. Gin, are you sure it's XXXVII?

Previously reviewed by amberbella.

Chaos Theory LXXXIII - origin: Cats.

I get dark, wet cherries from this, with a hint of spice. Reminds me of Blood, the clove and cherries combo. Very strong and unfortunately not good for my allergies. This review is so late it's almost in time for the next wave of Chaos Theories, but hey, better late than never. :P

Previously reviewed by grrrlennyl, cuervosueno, fairywingmaker and Gin.

Chaos Theory XCVIII, from blackrayne:

First sniff: Oh, how very interesting. Lime, maybe? And lotus? It’s a watery-sweet that reminds me of lotus, but there’s also something fruity here.

Wearing: This Chaos Theory is very soft, subtle and pretty. It’s decidedly feminine. I can’t figure it out, but I like it. :P

Previously reviewed by andrabell and blackrayne.

Chaos Theory XCIV : A sweet vanilla berry candy scent with a bit of milkiness mixed with light touches of soft florals and powder. It's a lighthearted and delicate scent, very bright and bouncy and reminds me of the Living Flame (or the candy-like Jailbait) mixed with a cream like Sudha Segara or Chaste moon. Smooth, sweet and creamy but with some light twinkling notes at the same time.

Previously reviewed by ninglor.

Reviews from the Chaos Run Amuck circle:

Chaos Theory III (??? I think??)

Jasmine and lavender. They seem to remain pretty faithful, even on my skin, but they're not really my thing.

Previously reviewed by chai_girl.

Chaos Theory XV

Ooooh, pineapple! And buttery later on! Nice! even later it's more of a vanilla or cookie scent.

Previously reviewed by Red_Hot_Mama, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin, quantum spice, inkstone and andrabell.

Chaos Theory XVII

This is citrussy and fresh. I can smell something green coming through later on, but it remains a light citrus scent. I'd say it's bright, even. I didn't know I could like citrus that much.

Previously reviewed by supasonicsage, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin, quantum spice, inkstone, paperdoll and andrabell.

Chaos Theory XXII

Flowers. I'm not a fan of flowers, so this one isn't my cup of tea. It turns sharp on me.

Previously reviewed by inkstone, goddessrobyn and andrabell.

Chaos Theory XXXIII

This one is weird but pleasant in the first stage. I can't describe what it is though, but it's nice. Later on, this turns perfumey and flowery on me.

Previously reviewed by Emu Nymph and andrabell.

Chaos Theory XLVIII

Vanilla and flowers?

Creamy, but not too much. Fades into a nice, general "baked" scent

Previously reviewed by paperdoll, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, quantum spice, inkstone and magikfanfic.

Chaos Theory LXXXVII

beatiful dragon's blood (I think it's DB) and cinnamon. Pretty light for a scent with those two strong components. More juicy cinnamon then dragon's blood.

Previously reviewed by Vicious Mistress and andrabell.

Chaos Theory XCV

This starts out fresh as well, a little powdery like Tisiphone. Later on, it starts to smell different...I can't make it out really. It is still a bit powdery, but a bit of musk? Almonds? I know there aren't any nuts in the CT blends, but it feels like almonds.. or no, it is musk! Or..?

Previously reviewed by hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin, quantum spice, inkstone and andrabell.

Chaos Theory LXXVII (from 7/04)

In the bottle: The scent of smooth wood tinged with astringent green herbs. Something mildly sweet lurks in the background.

Wet: The soft sweetness from the bottle has bloomed into a beautiful, gentle vanilla scent that blends perfectly with the mellow, fragrant wood notes. The bright bitter tang of the herbs has faded, leaving just enough bite to make this scent sparkle. A very mild earthy note hides far behind the others.

Dry: Smooth and soft... this entire blend is deliciously subtle. The vanilla continues to move forward, causing the overall scent to sweeten just a bit more. The herbs, now dry, lend a sense of warmth and depth to the scent, while the cool wooden notes serve to ground the oil, keeping things from becoming foody. The earthy note remains barely detectable.

Overall, I adore this scent. It is perhaps one of the most subtle, soothing BPAL oils I've ever come across. A perfect combination of clean (the woods and herbs) and cuddly (the vanilla). Sadly, I don't wear it nearly enough, and now I am sending it off to a home where it will receive the attention it deserves.

Previously reviewed by Neko.

Chaos Theory XV

from the Chaos Run Amok circle

In the bottle: Juicy Fruit gum.

Wet: Juicy Fruit morphs into pineapple. What? Vanilla cookies? What’s happening? This is one playful scent! I want to bathe in this!!!

As it is drying, it becomes more reminiscent of a foody-candle. It’s now cocoanutty. Is there some sandalwood hiding in the background? A very fun scent. Wishing it would stay in the delightful pineapple-ish stage, but … I like the other stages, too. Wishing I had more to play with, but I’m being good. Want a gallon of this for summer. It’s the perfect summer scent! Beth?!? We neeeeeeeeed this! :D

Later, that same day … it’s an utterly divine skin scent that is ... sigh. Did I mention that we neeeeeeed this to be produced in mass quantities tomorrow? Whoever has a drop left needs to send this back to the lab! Stat! Educated guess is that Beth, like any good mad scientist, kept her blending notes somewhere. This is too good not to have again. Honest. :P

Previously reviewed by Red_Hot_Mama, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin, quantum spice, inkstone, andrabell and Tesseljoan.

Chaos Theory XVII

Wet: lemony-floral. Mmmm … very clean!

Drying: Since there is a greenish note, I’m guessing that the lemon-green is lemon verbena. Just a guess. There is a discernable floral something. What? Ah-ha! Jasmine. Or white flowers. Faint, but there and getting stronger as they dry. That’s gardenia peeking out now. Lovely, not for me. Sigh. Time to wash and prevent a headache.

Previously reviewed by supasonicsage, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin, quantum spice, inkstone, paperdoll, andrabell and Tesseljoan.

Chaos Theory XXII

In the Bottle: negligible amount left, and with leakage, not sure what I’m smelling.

Wet: Sharpish floral. I kind of like it, but am unsure what the notes might be.

Drying: Still no clues as to the notes. Fades almost instantly. Nice while it lasted.

Previously reviewed by inkstone, goddessrobyn, andrabell and Tesseljoan.

Chaos Theory XXXIII

Wet: A riot of flowers. Jasmine and gardenia? Extremely heady.

Drying: Very, very heady and richly perfume-y floral. Some muskiness peeks through what is surely gardenia. Gets relatively gentler as it dries, but there’s something provoking allergies. My eyes and head are pleading with me to get this off now although it seems to be settling into a nice scent. Uh-oh, now it is starting to remind me of Youth Dew. Probably because it is assertively stating “Smell me and only me! NOW!” And lungs are joining in on the chorus. Let the sneezing begin!

Left this on as long as possible in the interest of science. Tames down nicely, but it’s just too much for me.

Previously reviewed by Emu Nymph, andrabell and Tesseljoan.

Chaos Theory XLVIII

In the Bottle: floral with a decidedly green tinge.

Wet: An assortment of delicate flowers quickly transforms into a vanilla floral. Yes, there’s jasmine, but a soft jasmine.

Drying: Quickly fades into a creamy floral that is quite nice, not overpowering or assertive. Within about 10 minutes starts to turn powdery with a sharpish note that is similar to what typically happens to scents on me when honey is in the blend. Almost all powder and *poof* within 15 minutes.

Previously reviewed by paperdoll, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, quantum spice, inkstone, magikfanfic and Tesseljoan.

Chaos Theory LXXXVII

The scent in this bottle is a pinky liquid, which surely means dragon’s blood is a component.

In the bottle: red hot cinnamon. Wow! Since cinnamon causes skin problems for me on application, this is a sniff-in-the-bottle review. A limited review, to be sure. Cinnamon fans would have a field day with this. It does smell more of cinnamon candies than of cinnamon found in sticks or in a bottle on the spice rank.

Previously reviewed by Vicious Mistress, andrabell and Tesseljoan.

Chaos Theory XCV

In the bottle: orange

Wet: Maybe my nose has gone wonky, but this is a light orange-lavender scent. Within minutes, it’s a peppery lavender to the exclusion of any other notes.

Drying: There’s some other note in here, but drat, the section of skin to which it was applied … it’s a contortionist act to get to sniff deeply. That note smells very baby-like. Hello. Vanilla? ’Zat you?

I like this a whole lot, but with XLVIII screaming from the other arm, I can’t smell the subtle shifts in scent. :P This is probably one of the Chaos scents I could and would actually wear of the Amok group. Very reminiscent, now that I think of it, of Calliope – but without the almond or herbal-green notes.

Previously reviewed by hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin, quantum spice, inkstone, andrabell and Tesseljoan.

Chaos Theory LXXI (71)

In the vial: Citrus! Easily identified as Lime.. pretty sweet and sugary.. :D

On: This loses its sweetness pretty quickly, but thankfully the lime sticks around. It becomes a more spicy floral lime, instead of sugary sweet. I think it might have Ylang Ylang, but I'd have to sniffy my bottle of that EO to be sure..

Oddly enough, I occasionaly seem to get a whiff of something that smells like the tiniest hint of Chocolate, of all things. It seems so out of place in this, but it's fun!

All in all, I have to say.. thank you Darkling for sending me an Imp of this.. I love it! I imagine you probably saw on my wishlist that I like Lime and/or Whitechapel. :D

:D You Rule! :P

Previously reviewed by darkling and shelldoo.

Y'know, I probably ought to write a review for this bottle before I send it off as spoils of bidding in my Aids Walk auction. :P

Chaos Theory, bottle CII:

This is vanilla, coconut, musk, and sandalwood... it smells extremely similar to Blood Pearl, but has more of a woody undertone than a dry orris tone, and the vanilla lends it a sweetness that Blood Pearl didn't have.

Alas, it hates me and smells like Beaver's Best Ice Cream Sundae!

From the Chaos Run Amok Circle:

Chaos Theory XX Soft and sweet; slightly powdery... this one reminds me of babies.

Previously reviewed by allamanda and Penance.

Chaos Theory LXXXVII Dragon's blood and something floral - really, really nice. This goes slightly soapy, but in a good way!

Previously reviewed by Vicious Mistress, andrabell, Tesseljoan and yellowrose.

Chaos Theory XXXIII Very floral, but I'm not positive which flowers! Jasmine is in there, and other flowers too, but I'm just not sure... this is very pretty in the spot test on my arm, but I think if I applied it everywhere I would find it completely overwhelming.

Previously reviewed by Emu Nymph, andrabell, Tesseljoan and yellowrose.

Chaos Theory XV OMG - so beautiful!!! This is sweet and slightly fruity (in a pineapple/banana way) slightly creamy and I think there's a touch of sweetgrass in there too. I am completely envious of the person who has this bottle!!!

Previously reviewed by Red_Hot_Mama, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin, quantum spice, inkstone, andrabell, Tesseljoan and yellowrose.

Chaos Theory XCV This starts out as citrus, but it quickly becomes sharp and medicinal. It ends up very powdery. Blargh.

Previously reviewed by hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin, quantum spice, inkstone, andrabell, Tesseljoan and yellowrose.

Edited by Shollin

Chaos Theory XXXVIII - Vintage 2004

Initially I got two bottles, the first was XXVIII (reviewed earlier).

I like this one much better and even though I have had it for months & months am now just getting around to reviewing it.

First off the fragrance is simply yummy :P and only gets better with time. :D It is coconut, butterscotch, light, white musk and who-knows-what-all, and certainly sort of foody - but there is something lurking underneath that keeps this scent from going too sweet or too foody.

It is brilliantly blended and balanced. And totally delicious.

This is one of the few scents from BPAL that, on me, doesn't evolve and change.

XXXVIII goes on - stays on - and I keep reapplying all day long. And at this rate the bottle will only last me the week. :D

I don't know why it took me so long to try this bottle but it is true what they say: good things come in small bottles.

(That what they say, isn't it?)

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct. Each bottle is numbered, and comes with a small parchment certificate.

Chaos Theory XLVIII

Also reviewed by paperdoll, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, quantum spice, inkstone, magikfanfic, Tesseljoan, and yellowrose.

Milky, powdery sweet floral. If it were a color, it would be butter yellow. A bit of vanilla, maybe a touch of orchid, and a spash of... lemon? ginger? It reminds me a bit of Regan, actually. Very girly-feminine. :P