Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Persephone

Beautiful, radiant daughter of Demeter... her loveliness was so exquisite that even Hell itself could not resist her. Pomegranate and rose.

First sniff: Juicy and red! I have a pomegranate soap and Persephone is almost the same scent. The roses are very much an afterthought in the vial – I can just barely make them out underneath.

Wearing: The rose takes more control as it hits my skin – rose and pomegranate are more evenly balanced now. I really enjoyed the juicy tartness under the flowers, but it faded quickly to just rose, and even that didn’t last too long. There are other rose scents I like better, so Persephone will be swapped.

Bottle ~ A nice, fruity, sweet scent. The pomegranate, I suppose. Mmmm.

Wet ~ ROSE.

Drying ~ ROSE.

Drydown ~ ROSE.

Dry ~ ROSE.

Fade ~ Dunno. Scrubbed it off with a peppermint soap and slatered myself with aloe vera.

Final thoughts ~ waaaah!

this is probly my least favorite rose, because well.. the rose is so strong! The pomegranate makes the rose really juicy, strong and sweet. i like rose, but I like it tempered with something. Let me just say, that if you like sweet and you like rose then this is the scent for you!

This was lovely, sweet, juicy pomegranate at first. Mmmmm! And as soon as it dried, it turned to soap. I'm not heartbroken, as I prefer to eat pomegrante, and not smell like it. :P

Ok, this is gonna be weird, but this smells like hair perm solution on my wrist, except fruity...reminds me a little bit of my hair dye.

It smells like Swank in the imp holder and as soon as it hits my skin then it takes that very bad turn. I am going to swap this to someone who will get a better scent from it when it mixes with their body chemistry!

I received this imp yesterday as a freebie.

Arrrrgh. Pomegranate & rose. One note I love, but I can't get it to work on me. One note I hate & goes overkill on me.

In the vial: Pomegranate with rose.

Wet: Rose with some pomegranate

Dry: Rose. ROSE. ROSE. *coughcough*

In the imp: Juicy, sweet, rosey, and fruity.

After dry down: The rose tends to be a stronger scent for me in Persephone. I am not sure I appreciate it much here and I am a fan of some rose scents.

3.5 hours: Roses, roses, roses. The throw on this is all roses and it is just okay. I am a bit twisted on the name of this scent so that may be one reason I can't get into it. :P

what more can be said? pomegranate and rose. . .a very pink smell. i like it. somehow, the pomegranate gives the rose a little umph, and turns it very interesting.

not too fond of roses, however, so this may be swapped. but i'll wait until summer to try it again then.

In the bottle, a very fruity rose.

Wet on the skin: somehow reminds me of Red Zinger tea with a ton of sugar. But in a good way.

Dry: OMG, I am so enthralled with this scent! It's everything I ever wished a rosy perfume would be. Mostly roses on me, but nice and bright, not "grandma's closet." Somehow it manages to be alternately fresh and dark, sweet and sexy, magnificent all around. I was repeatedly sniffed, with unanimous approval.

The scent initially smells very juicy and fruity with just a touch of rose. When applied to my skin, it takes on a kind of tropical punch smell. It’s definitely not unpleasant, just unexpected.

As it dries, the rose steps through ultra strong. But I love roses, so I’m not complaining. :P It is a very wet rose, like petals after a heavy rain or a very freshly cut bouquet (of garden, not hot house roses).

It stays fruity and sweet though the floral is trying to go a touch soapy on me (noooo!). I like the blending of scents that it arrives at, but I think wearing it in a scent locket would help it to better maintain its original sweetness, as the result is a pretty strong, dusky rose.

I’m definitely glad that I have this, though I don’t see myself wearing it on a daily basis because I think my chemistry morphs it too much. Still, it’s feminine and rather flirty. An all-around girlie girl oil.

Oh, Persephone. If you were an actual girl, I'd try to keep you in Hades too.

I love love love this scent. In the imp, I wasn't sure - it smelled like an overripe rose, a rose just on the verge of losing all its petals and decaying. But then I tried it on, and now I'm in love with my own smell. It's kind of sad. Sweet and fruity and juicy and lush perfect rose petals. Yum!

In the bottle: :Moan: :swoon: if I didn't know I was holding a bottle of perfume I would have tried to drink this:blush: . Deep rich sensually sweet pomegranate with the light tender juiciness of fresh Rose. Beth, you are DIVINTY INCARNATE!

On me swiped on wrist, wet: fresh pomegranate and sugared rose petals.... like candied pommegranate and rose water jellys

drydown: five minutes: :D :D oh this is lovely the rose is becoming full dark, blood red and sexy as hell, this is a very "come hither" scent, I should be wearing a sexy red dress and heels with this, and, be out on the town ready to break a few hearts..... Well either that, or an elegant silk nightie, planning a sumptuous evening of seduction. Oh I feel like a beautiful sexy woman wearing this, even in sweats... Thank you, Beth!

:D :P

*sigh* I really wanted to like this but...no go. The pomegranate was extremely bold and fruity with an almost astringant bitterness that did NOT blend well with the rose. After sticking my nose in my (fermenting...) bottle of POMS pure pomegranate juice, I realized that it smelled very much like that...rotting pomegranates =( with some wilting blooms. I think fruits work with rose only when both are light and unobtrusive...this scent for me was the olfactory equivalent of wearing maroon and purple.

Please forgive this is my first review and I'm finding my nose is not as good as I thought it was.

Persephone smelled bright and juicy in the bottle. It went on soft and juicy, but faded quickly. It's a very light scent on me. I was dissapointed that I couldn't smell any rose at all.

Bottom line: I liked it, but my skin eats it.

In the bottle: Lush juicy pomegranate!

Wet: See above, sweet but not too sweet, very nice juicy fruity smell.

Drydown: The rose starts to come up and mingle with the pomegranate. OMG these two scents where made to be together. The rose keeps the pomegranate from being to sweet and foody, and pomegranate gives the rose a nice juicy twang.

It pretty mutch kept that scent for the next few hours. It faded really fast, but then again I was cleaning all afternoon so I'm sure that did not help. Persephone is a beautifull summer day blend.

I LOVE this blend-- I'm big on fruit/floral blends in general, but...wow! The two scents evenly complement each other... to the unsuspecting nose, it's the juiciest, freshest rose ever! I just ordered a 5mL :-D (and 4 more rose blend imps!)

Goes to show that less is more in this case...also, I am dying to know what kind of rose it is exactly?

Edited by gravity_always_wins

This one really made me sad. Pomegranates are my favorite food ever, so I almost wet my pants when I read the description of this one. Sadly, all I can smell are roses. While roses are beautiful on other people, they don't really suit me. Maybe I'll try Swank next.

persephone reminds me of a cross between delirium and verdandi. i'm picking up more rose than i did in delirium, but if i move my nose away, it's more apple-y, but not spiced apples. crisp green apples!

i like this, but it fades very quickly on me, so i think i'm gonna swap it.

In Bottle: Rose… and fruity.

On Skin: The rose is very strong, pungent and tart. The pomegranate is sweet but not very distinct. It does give this scent a juicy feel. Obviously feminine and reminds me of a spring picnic in the garden. I normally don’t like rose, but the pomegranate eventually has sweetend the scent and made the rose less powerful. It still is a bit rosey meaning I probably wouldn’t wear this… but would like it on someone else.

Persephone

Had to get this in my first set of imps, as Persephone is one of my patron deities.

In bottle: Smelled like cough syrup to me.

Wet: Juicy pomegranate at first, turning to 90% rose in under a minute.

Drydown: Continues to be mostly rose, but with a tart/bitter undertone probably attributable to the pomegranate. Overall effect is a bittersweet rose scent, perfect for the Goddess in question. The rose might represent her flowery, springtime aspect, with the hint of pomegranate foreshadowing her other, darker aspect.

The Verdict: This is lovely. I'm not sure if it's "me" enough to become a signature scent, but it suits its namesake goddess well, and is likely to get used in ritual a lot.

ETA: The more I wear Persephone, the more I like it. And the more I wear it, the more I can pick out the pomegranate note and appreciate the scent as a whole. I think the trick is that I have to apply it a little more generously than some other BPALs. Two drops of O, on me, can overwhelm a whole room, but with Persephone, I need to apply a little more oil if I want to smell all the notes and get some staying power. This may be inching into big-bottle territory after all.

persephone.gif

Edited by lady_pandora

first open? vinegar and roses! The vinegar goes away quickly and the rose comes forward, reminding me of the rose in Lucy's kiss. No fruit ever comes forward. for rose I like Harlot or old london MUCH better.

Persephone

Is oh so pretty. But ultimately too femme for me, perhaps. Roses sometimes just smell like old lady soap, and while this is a good rose scent (I think), bright and clean pomegranate doesn't really do anything to make it more complex. I really like pomegranate in more complex scents, which is what I was hoping for with Persephone. I'll give Swank a go tomorrow.

Also I'm getting frustrated by my blocked nose and easily fatigued sense of smell, so I'll give this another chance when I'm all clear. Also I don't think I know what I like yet. I mean I've ordered all this bright, fruity stuff when clearly that suits me least! Oops. I'll know better for next time. I wonder if the two frimps (Salome and The Raven) the Lab put in for me will be perfect for me even though they are furthest from what I would ever order for myself. :P

Later in the day Persephone went really lovely, and no longer old lady soapy in the least, but it was sort of too little too late.

In the bottle: MMMM....I love this one!!!

Wet: Strong rose, but not sharp or old-lady-ish (thank goodness), it's more mellow and juicy. I can smell the round fruitiness of it.

Dry: A sweet and perfectly blended mix of fruit and floral. I smell yummy and feminine!

For me, Persephone is like Blood Rose's younger, more innocent sister. However, it still packs quite the sex appeal punch!! I am so glad I ordered a big bottle of this! :P

I'm always a bit wary of blends w/rose because more often than not, I get the ickiest headache and can't stop sneezing. But I press on :D

In the imp, strong, wet rose.

On, still rose but as it dries the tartness of the yummy pomegranate peeks through. Only seems to add to the juicy wetness of the beautiful rose :P

Now, at first, this *did* bring on a slight headache and plenty of sneezing, but it subsided soon enough. YAY!!!

Haven't had this on long, an hour? *Maybe*...So far it hasn't faded a bit & is mostly rose on me. Feminine but not "girly". Lovely blend!

Not sure if I'll get a big bottle, yet...Will try it again in a couple of days & I'll for sure use my imp!!

Imp : Definitely rose...could be tea rose, but it doesn't have that high, sinus-clearing dryness, so perhaps not. And something that I assume is pomegranate, something that smells sweet on top with, oh, something, ahem, rotton-ish at the bottom? :P Odd. I hope it goes away.

Wet: oo, yucky...but rosey! Sharp, a little green...

Drydown: Mm, rose goodness, a dark green, wet, on-it's-way-to-maturity rose, not the youthly virginal tea rose. very nice!

Overall: I'm not in love...but...I did buy a 5ml. I just know that there are days when this is going to simply rock my world! This doesn't last very long on me, although I could catch the faintest whiff of it about 7 hours later, so I pour it on everywhere...at least an hour before I leave the house, mind. :D

Oro