Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Persephone

Beautiful, radiant daughter of Demeter... her loveliness was so exquisite that even Hell itself could not resist her. Pomegranate and rose.

Persephone smells almost overwhelming in the imp. SO floral. SHOUTING at me. But I put it on anyway, cause that's what we do, right?

On my skin, it smells like a Cabbage Patch Kid slathered in roses.

After an hour it's better, and is very nice rosey scent.

Sadly, I have a headache from the Cabbage Patch Kid period so I won't be keeping this one. It is, however, a really nice scent, if you can, say, detach your arms for an hour to let it dry down. Now that's just silly, isn't it? Must go to bed now...... Edited by Shollin

In the imp, this is bright, sharp, and fresh. Very strong indeed--but the rose reminds me very much of Rose Red '07 (a crisp, clean rose, with a bit of green-ness to it), which I adore, and the pomegranate is adding just a touch of sweetness.

Wet on, it is very much like a fruity Rose Red '07 to me...a bright crisp rose with just enough well rounded juice.

During the dry-down the rose made its bid for hostile takeover (like rose sometimes does), but after about 20 min. the rose and the pomegranate melded beautifully. It is a round womanly scent in the end, whereas it began as a very girly-flirtatious brew. It is just gorgeous and a new favorite...In my mind it speaks very much to Persephone's descent into the underworld.

Anyway. Wow. I'm in love.

I was prepared to love this scent. I wanted a sweet fruity rose. I got a rotten fruit rose.

Wet: Um, yup, there's Beth's neon rose scent. The pomegranate however is doing the same badness that BPAL's booze scents do on my skin, going all unpleasantly ozoney with an added layer of airfreshener. Ick.

Dry: It fades very quickly, within two hours to an almost undetectable rose.

Verdict: Whip and Blood Rose, Whip and Blood Rose, these are my only rosy friends.

In the bottle: Sweet-tart pomegranate and rose!

Wet: Rosier, much less sweet, but still some nice tart pomegranate fruit.

Dry: Stays true!

Summary: Good throw and wearlength. It reminds me much of Libra but it's simpler and tarter.

This is the only BPAL scent that's made me ill.

At first sniff, in the imp and wet on the skin, I can tell it's trying to smell like pomegranate, but there's something festering and unholy getting in the way (and not in the fun way).

After a few minutes, the pomegranate imposter is gone, and I'm left with roses gone wrong. I think in tiny doses this might not be bad, but I found that putting two dabs on my neck and one on each wrist was just too much and I was nearly overcome with nausea. Sadly, I put this on before going out for the evening and, being trapped on the subway, had no way to wash this off. An hour later, I was still reeling, and then I discoverd to my distress that mere liquid soap was not strong enough stuff to remove the scent from my skin (maybe it had gotten on my collar or something).

I feel like this is Demeter telling Hades that if this is what the Underworld has done to her daughter, he can keep her.

Ah, well.

I thought "Ooh, is the pomegranate. And rose?" First time I've ever nailed all the notes :P

The pomegranate is juicy and tart, and the rose is a full, pulsating tea rose. Sweet, tangy, although the rose is a little overwhelming at some points. I like it.

Rose and pomegranate. Pretty, but sadly I find myself less excited about these notes than what I would have thought 2 years ago, before BPAL. Before BPAL I would have loved the concept of this scent, but since I got into perfume oils, I'm all about the resins, woods etc. It's very very rare that I love a scent like Persephone, so it's not your fault Persephone, really, it's me...

Wet: Sharp candy/artificial fruit and roses

Drying: Floribunda roses

Dry down: Rose soap. Doesn’t work very well with my skin today.

I'll try this one again as it was not offensively heavy - just rather sweet and soapy on me. I was hoping for tangy tart pomegranates with less rose.

The rose is a little stronger than pomegranate on my skin. The juiciness of the pomegranate lends the rose a fresh, dewly wet scent. It's quite pretty. There's almost no throw though. I like it, but I'll be satisfied with just an imp, as I have so many other rose scents.

Initial thoughts: Crap. This was a frimp, and I'm really rather torn over it - on the one hand, I adore pomegranate with a fiery passion. On the other, rose is foul on me. This is either going to be incredible or incredibly awful.

In the imp: The two are quite well blended - the pomegranate is taking the edge off the rose and making it juicy sweet. This shifts from second to second from something I really quite like and something I really quite don't. This isn't getting any easier.

On the wrist, wet: Again, a fairly even blend - the rose is TRYING to be it's rosy self on my skin, but the pomegranate isn't letting it. On the other hand, the pomegranate is juicy but isn't quite getting to shine. It's a battle and no mistake.

Twenty minutes later: And the rose wins. Alas, rose and I do not play well together, so this one is not gonna get worn.

Verdict: Swap

Tl;Dr: An even blend of rose and pomegranate, dominated by the rose on the dry down.

in the imp: yep. rose and pomegranate.

wet on skin: pretty equal parts of the above.

dry down: the rose has won out.

in all: another one for the rose fans among you. i personally feel sad that the pomm has mostly gone, but it's a rather lovely rose.

wet on skin: pomegranate and rose fight it out

yep, rose wins

but something is going on underneath the rose

this really reminds me of Alice!!!!!!!!!

in bottle: rose and pomegranate.

on skin: i so wanted to like this! Pomegranate is one of my favourite notes but the pomegranate and the rose fight when they finally beat each other into submission the worst of both notes is all that's left. So your left with a sour sharp powdery rose coated in overly ripe pungent fruit. Definitely not for me.

Absolutely lovely on me. I can't really smell the pomegranite but I'm guessing it's what is creating a slightly tart edge. This is my first rose scent from BPAL and I adore it!

In the bottle through dry: Fruity, juicy pomegranate & blooming roses. The pomegranate gets warmer and blends into the rose after an hour or so. But, it's a sweet background note for the next few hours

After a night of dancing: I still smell the rose after 4 hours of dancing. Not anywhere near as strong. But, still noticable by ... those standing very close... yes... *ahem* :P :D

The next morning: A faint whiff of rose is there close to my skin. But otherwise it's gone

In a scent locket: This goes strong and true for hours in the scent locket. It gets to the stage where the pomegranate is a sweet background note, then it stays.

Now, I'll note here that I'm not normally big on roses. They get too heady for me sometimes. But, Persephone really works for me because the rose & pomegranate blend so well. That and I like pomegranate.

Edited by Lemonlife

Alright, I am now convinced that fruit and I do not get along. In the bottle, this was beautiful, red and delicious smelling. On my wrist however, this morphed into something I can only describe as rancid. I let a friend of mine try it on and it smelled beautiful on her - this is the same friend I gave my imp of Carnal to, so I think I just need to admit to myself that fruit is not for me. Darn. :P

Persepohne captures the character perfectly, I think. On me, there's not much pomegranate, but it's a riper, wetter rose than I usually get from BPAL perfumes. It's a bright, lush, girlish scent. Which, honestly, isn't really my thing but I think it's gorgeous and evocative. I'll probably wear it every now and then, just because it's so nice.

Wet: Fruity-rose

Dry: Beautiful. A true living rose with ripe fruits. For someone who doesn't like either overly-fruity or overly-rose, I'm amazed to say I love this. It smells happy, smiling, without guile.

Persephone was a generous frimp from one of the posters here :). I was super happy to get it because I was really curious about it -- I love rose so absolutely that I'll try it in anything -- but I tend not to like pomegranate at all.

Overall, however, the impression of this rose is not so much pomegranate and rose as super juicy fruity sweet rose. The pomegranate almost but not quite seems grapey. But it's still pomegranate. And I don't mind it, actually. It's such a juicy and bright rose that it's an invigorating scent, although I am sure that too much of this could come off as annoying.

This second time wearing it, I realized that there's a slightly pencil eraserish smell that comes out on far drydown, but it's not too bad and is mostly noticeable when wrist-sniffing (i.e. it's not part of general throw).

Good throw, lasting power isn't long as seems to be the case for all the blends I've tried, but it's longer than a lot of the others I've tried.

A beautiful and simple balance of dark red earthy rose and juicy pomegranate. The rose is musky with tangy pomegranate juice. When first applied I feared the rose would turn sugary and dominate. The rose is sweetly forward at first, but as it dries the tarted sharpness of the pomegranate weights the sweet beneath the surface. A wonderful succulent combo befitting a goddess.

Next, I want to try her layered with Pluto... :P

Edited by mineralfairy

In the imp, the pomegranate and rose balance each other well.

However, the rose takes over the moment it touches my skin. Why oh why, persephone? I wanted to like you, but I don't get any pomegranate.

After trying this and London, I am convinced I don't like rose after all.

In the vial: Good enough to eat: tart, sweet, intensely yet not aggressively rose. This makes my mouth water!

Wet: ZOMG roses! This smells like a blend of more than one rose. There's damask in it, but something sweeter too. It's different from the other rose blends I've tried. I'm not getting the tempting tart fruitiness that I smelled in the vial, though.

Twenty minutes: Still a hardcore and very distinctive rose blend. But where's the fruit?

One hour: Some of the intensity of the rose has dropped off now. It's not quite as sweet as before, and there's more of a depth underneath, either a richer rose or perhaps that pomegranate trying to peek out. It still smells good enough to eat.

Two hours: A great deal less sweet now, and, oddly, somehow more adult. Not very intense as BPAL rose scents go, which means it would be a good everyday sort of scent if you wanted roses. But I'm disappointed by the absence of the pomegranate, which is a note I love.

Three hours: Still rose, pretty subtle and a little faded, like wilting roses. I had high hopes for this one, but it's not going to measure up to them.

Four hours: Ever more subtle and fading. As BPAL rose scents go, not one that works well on me. But I might keep it around anyway, because it reminds me of something I used to wear long, long ago.

Sure enough, I keep putting this back into the "keepers" box instead of the trade box. It smells so wonderful, I'm considering a scent locket just for this one.

:P

I smell like I've spilled artificially flavored pomegranate drink on myself. UGH

Sorry lab, it's a clunker on me. Smells too sweet, too fruity, too much like a Coke product.

I do get the roseyness in it too ... but it just smells like I was wearing rose oil when I spilled fruit drink on my pants.

I don't have many bpal clunkers - this is actually a bit of a relief. We can't like 'em all, eh?

Rose hardly ever agrees with me, so the upside is that all I can smell is pomegranate. The downside is that I find that I don't like the smell of pomegranate. At all. So no, this one is not for me.