Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Orange-glazed cake, dotted with anise seed, and filled with custard, set beside a bouquet of celebratory funeral flowers.

Why am I getting mint from this? Reminds me at first of a orange version of Beaverversary but then goes kind of mild orange with a hint of toothpaste.

3/5 I just find this one slightly strange.

Wet, this is cake, cake, and more cake; it's very sweet and almost cloying.

Once applied, the orange emerges, and it becomes a delicious orange cake. The orange comes out more and more as it dries, and the cake takes more of a backseat, until it's pretty much sweet oranges. It eventually dries and fades quite a bit, but remains essentially sweet oranges on me.

It smells like a honey buttery cake with orange glaze with a faint hint of anise. Dry the orange and anise leave and it's pure honey buttery cake a bit like cockaigne or eat me.

Orange cake. Very sweet. My skin eats up the orange within moments of application. This ends up as a sweet cake scent as it dries.

Final dry down is just the memory of something fainty sweet. This one doesn't stick around at ALL :ack:

In the bottle and wet on my wrist this is orange-glazed cake. As it dries the cake gets cakier and the orange glaze is still there, still sweet. It's a little like a creamsicle. Love. That.

The orange backs off very quickly and it's more bitter; the anise must be stepping forward. The cake is front and center, but the florals are perking up and getting creamy. Less buttery cake and more straight vanilla with wear; faint but zesty orange is just underneath.

Ultimately this is Antique Lace with orange zest and minus the linen on me. This is as close as I've gotten to the orange creamsicle scent I want so much. I wear AL regularly; this is its fruity candy, summery cousin.

Edited to remove the link to the forum's main page that I inexplicably slipped into the post.

Edited by TheOnliest

I'm silly and didn't bother to read the notes before slathering it on. It was cake, very foody. With a tart citrus fruity pop inside it that really thrilled me. It didn't turn into a mess of toffee-esq sweet that a lot of "foody" scents do for me, it was fresh and real, and somehow a tangible scent for me with a uniqueness to it that other bready-cakey-foody scents lack. It's really delicious, and I found I could wear it often.

The zest makes it really unique. I also felt like it had tonka in it, as it's a base note, and the next morning my wrist still had it lingering. Yum.

Orange. Creamsicle.

It does get a little less sweet after some time on my skin, and the orange zest and anise win out over the cake by a nose, but are still delicious. This was very strong on first application, but faded down to a haze of orange cream next to my skin--the throw isn't overwhelming, but the scent itself does linger, which is good. I like this one a lot, and am happy to have it.

This was a strong orange note to begin with that slowly started turning into a strange, milk-gone-bad scent. Custard! I shake my fist at you :evil: This is the disaster of Milk Moon 07 all over again - but orange scented this time :lol: At least now I know to avoid milk notes almost entirely. My skin just doesn't get along with them :( I really wanted to like this, too - sounded so yummy!

Edit: Wait! Wait!! A few hours later it turned to a lovely, creamy sweet and sugary orange cake :) It just took a reeeeeally long time to do it on my skin. I'll have to figure out if that makes it worth holding on to or if it's off to the swaps...

Edit #2: Retried this one hoping I'd get to yummy cake sooner and what do you know, it went to yummy orange custartd, cake and florals right away :) Even harder to decide whether to keep it now, since I don't reach for sweet foody scents often. May try mixing with other scents like Haunt's chocolate-orange-incense Oubliette...

Edited by rayvn1

This starts out as oranges and a dry cake note, not moist or buttery, almost more reminiscent of scones. After a few minutes of drying, though, it goes a little powdery/plastic/something that vaguely reminds me of baby wipes. I think it's the florals-- Black Pearl goes a bit weird on me in a very similar way, so I suspect this has some variety of iris in it, and that iris does not particularly get along with my skin chemistry. :(

I can't decide if it's a dealbreaker or not, though. Because the orangey cake scent is really delicious, and it hasn't been totally overpowered... I just get occasional weird whiffs of baby wipe. Sigh. I'll give it another shot sometime.

This was a surprise hit for me of last year's Halloween offerings. I usually don't like cake notes, but the cake in this is very subtle, and made even more delicious by the orange and creamy custard. Next comes in the anise, its quite potent and licorice-y. The dry stage is the creamy custard again with a light floral note. :yum:

Well, it's two days before Halloween, and I started digging though my stash for something different, as I've been wearing Lambswool nearly exclusively. ...nah, not DDLM..... hm, Sticky Pillowcase? no, too sickly-sweet. Ooh, didn't I like this last year?

Huesos de Santo has aged quite beautifully in the past year, and unlike last year, when the orange just screamed out at me, In the imp it smelled primarily of sweetness--so much that I could barely distinguish between this and Sticky Pillowcase--but on me it's not so nauseating. I put it on and within five minutes the aniseed cake end of things appears. The zesty orange is fairly subtle on drydown, but still present. I don't get much custard/milkiness, it seems to have turned more buttery (yes, I'm certain I didn't shake the imp. well, not that much, anyway). Overall quite pleasant, much like the scent of a ki Shame this didn't make a reappearance this year--I'm definitely a fan!

In the decant, I'm getting orange cream with a kick that I think is the anise. Once it's on my skin, I get an orange cake sort of scent, with the orange quickly dominating. The orange is a bit astringent on me, and sadly, the cake/cream aspect gets completely drowned. Swaps.

Edited by Venneh

I'm getting orange custard with a hint of floral and a lot of...cake? I think? This is so weird. It's very festive, at least. Sadly, orange tends to turn rancid on my skin after a short while, so I'm sure this will too.

I've been culling my stash lately, and I hadn't retested this blend in a while. I was waffling on whether or not to sell it off, but I decided to try it again first.

I generally have bad luck with cake/cookie/baked goods blends because I amp the butter note; I usually just end up smelling like margarine. XD Huesos de Santo is by far the best cake blend on me. I do amp the butter, but only for a minute, and then it settles down into sweet cakey vanilla and a very light orange. After a while the anise comes out, pleasantly sharp, and then ultimately it fades again and I end up with a delicious foody vanilla blend. The throw is pretty light, but it's decently long-lasting on me (I tested it on my wrist and can still smell it after 3-4 handwashings, unlike the other blends I was testing at the same time). This one's a keeper after all!

Ok, when I first applied this, it was CAKE! And a little stinky cake if you ask me. But as it dries, I really like the resulting orangey sweet scent that it turned into. The CAKE sort of faded to indistinct sweet but not overly foody scent when combined with the aniseed. It smells vaguely creamsicle-ish on me, but it has an element of depth to it that I don't tend to associate with "foody" scents. I like this, but I think a decant is enough for me.

I love this blend at first. . .yummy soft orange cake. Perfect for the foodie in me. Then anise joins the party. . . kinda sharp on my skin. . and most unwelcome as I was just starting to really love the creamy orange cake. I do love it enough to keep the bottle at this point and enough to order a partial decant of the current '10 blend in hopes it is less anise. . more cake! We'll see. If I could get my grubby mitts on some PX117. . I think I'd ditch this bottle and live in foodie bliss.

From the bottle: OMG! The scent is almost too overwhelming for me. It's such a strong Creamy orange scent.

On my skin: The strong scent dies down a bit and now I have a wonderful orange zest on me mixed with anis. It's very sweet with a light spicy kick. I want to eat my arm!

Dry on skin: I have a lovely creamy orange scent and it's just beautiful. I can smell the flowers but it's in the background. I'm glad because most of the times flowery scents just smell like poweder to me. It faded quicker than I expected but I love this scent so much I'll just slathe a bit more or just use my scent locket.

If you like foody/cake/orange zest scents this is for you!

This is for the 2008 version.

Wet: Custard city. Creamy vanilla pudding with a bit of orange. Very sweet but has a decidedly NOT edible, offputtingly plastic musk vibe underpinning it, like a lot of foody BPALs exhibit once they hit my skin.

Dry: Gets creamier and creamier. Anise pops out and acts all licoricey and devious for a ten minute phase before it abruptly fades off. I usually hate anise and it's definitely disagreeing with me here. I guess it harmonizes well with the orange, which reads as an orange marmalade sort of glaze here, but its just making me wrinkle my nose in disgust when paired with all that custardy vanilla creaminess. It's not buttery, thank goodness, but it's so milky and... moist. Like a really moist, artificial yellow cake, the sort of thing you'd get out of a boxed cake mix. The custard cake stuff amps up and takes over before long, and any other notes are smashed underneath and all but obliterated. Yuck. Sweet and cloying! Where's the celebratory funereal floral bouquet? I never catch any of it, and I kept it on for an hour before I ran to scrub it off.

Overall: The notes were pretty intriguing, actually! I thought this had the potential to be an interesting gourmand floral, and I tested it before I read a single review. But, alas, the results were tragic. All foodiness, NO flowers! Not even a bit! I guess if you like smelling like vanilla-y custard cake desserts this is fine, but I was really hoping for some floral dimension...

Oh! Hello there, love! :wub2:

Beth has left me in awe again. This is divine. I ordered this unsniffed (based on the notes listed and the inspiration) because it just sounded like something I would adore. And, I do! Yay!

This is the 2010 version:

In the bottle: Oh goodness, I want to devour this. Orange-glazed cake, indeed! I can smell the orange flavor, the cake and the sugary glaze - all distinctly but nicely blended. It just smells really authentic.

Wet on skin: Yum! The orange glazed cake is at the forefront but the anise pops out in a lovely way. The florals are also apparent but very subtle.

Dry: Not much change. This is delicious. I can imagine that I am actually about to eat this cake and can smell the flowers sitting near by.

A few hours later: This has morphed into an orange candy smell. It's still really yummy but I've lost the anise and the flowers.

Overall, this is just stunning. Not only because the scent is so authentic to its inspiration, but also because it's another example of how Beth can take an experience and put it in a bottle. I love being able to close my eyes, inhale and imagine that I really am experiencing the inspiration of the scent - this wonderful cake and funeral flowers. It captures everything so perfectly. Totally in love with Beth's talent right now! :D

Edited by Antoinette

I ordered 4 Halloweenie scents based on notes and reviews, and this is definitely the winner of the bunch!

Wet in the bottle, this smells like delicious cake--a good sign, since I'm a fan of Beaver'versary and was hoping this might be a fall twist on that. When it first hit my skin, I panicked because it smelled like buttered popcorn (same as Miskatonic U. does on me, sadly). After a few moments, though, it dried down into a lovely orange cake scent with a hint of marigold. After a bit it gets slightly dusty, which to my mind is completely appropriate! I'm definitely keeping my bottle, and I may need a backup... :wub2:

This is the 2008, btw.

In the bottle: The first whiff was buttered popcorn, which is never a good sign for me, since a nasty caramel-corn smell occasionally pops out of the oddest things. After a bit of rolling, however, there was butter and vanilla and anise, and I decided to give it a shot.

And oh, I am so glad I did!

Wet: Creamy vanilla and anise, with just a hint of orange in the background. This is definitely some lovely cake smell. Mmmmmmmm.

Dry: The orange disappears and the anise backs off a bit, so most of what I get is a lovely spiced vanilla creamy cake goodness. The throw is moderate, and it doesn't last as long as some, but I really don't mind slathering it on a couple of times a day. I am sooo glad there was a back-up bottle for sale now that this one has been re-issued. I may have to pick up a decant of the new one and see how they compare. :wub2:

In the vial - A little like butter rum, but with more spice.

On the skin - Honey cakes! I can smell the orange glaze, and the buttery sweet scent of cake! YUM.

Dry - Soft vanilla honey cake. Still yum~

Definitely a bottle for me! :wub2:

Went ahead and ordered a bottle of this since I really liked the 2008 version. This version seems a little sweeter, but otherwise is identical to 2008. Lovely orange-cake scent. The anise comes in later to spice it up a bit (which is why I can’t use this as a sleeping scent!) but the overall effect is very smooth and nice.

2010 Version:

Buttery orange cake with very light anise on my skin.

The 2008 version is one of my favorite Weenies and the 2010, while very nice, is not as rich a scent it seems as 2008, but maybe it just needs to age more to develop that rich quality.