Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Orange-glazed cake, dotted with anise seed, and filled with custard, set beside a bouquet of celebratory funeral flowers.

Guh. Buttery orange pound cake with custard, and anise topping. I want to chew off my arm. It dries down to an anisey-orange-floral, with hints of the buttery custard left. Like others have said, I wish the initial stage lasted longer, but I like the dry down, too. Definately worth buying a bottle.

straight sniff from imp is orange cake loaded with melted butter....mmmmm

once applied orange and anise and i am thrilled with this...i need a big bottle for certain...

a smooth and creamy dream come true ... :D :P

I was worried about the florals mentioned in the description for Huesos de Santo, but I don't smell any florals at all in this blend. It's sort of like a moist, buttery spice cake (I dunno where I get spice from this, but it's a light, warm yumminess) with vanilla cream frosting, studded with orange hard candies.

Unfortunately, this is a really light scent on me. It only lasts about three hours, and has very little throw. Still, it's a delicious and comforting smell. I'll love wearing this on days when I want a foodie fragrance that's more subtle than most of the other blends I own.

Orange poppyseed muffins, with anise. Very foody. Very lovely. I can smell flowers past the cake, which is a little surprising, since the orange cake smell is so rich.

Sweet, rich, moderately strong fragrance.

~edit~ This scent is addictive. I adore the fresh orange cake scent that lasts about an hour, and I adore the cake/custard scent about 5 hours in. That drydown that is so lovely lasts for four or so hours. The anise is a bit more apparent than I'd like for the time in-between the parts that I love, though, and that is the only thing making me hesitate about buying a bottle. 4 hours to put up with in exchange for 5 hours of win? Not quite a good enough ratio to buy a bottle, unfortunately. Otherwise, I love this scent.

Edited by Aerinha

First Sniff: Orange custard cake with a hint of anise.

On Skin: I adore how this starts off foody, but immediately the anise note takes over and gives this cake a bit of bite. I can barely detect funeral flowers.

Drydown: The custard/cake notes remain in the background, while the orange and anise become more dominant. It is spicy with just a hint of floral.

Final thoughts: I love it. It is foody, but has a kick. It's the perfect foody blendy, as it is not to sweet and actually sticks to my skin and lasts.

I'm usually not big on foody scents. There are actually only a couple I like (Gingerbread Poppet comes to mind), but I do like this.

I tried it on my skin and with my wonky skin chemistry it dried down to a very light somewhat vanilla scent with the barest hint of orange.

In my locket it is just gorgeous. After it's been in there for a little while it is a somewhat foody vanilla, with the orange there but not overwhelming, and just the barest hint of anise (thankfully, because I dreaded it being too strong). I can also catch a very slight hint of flowers but it's way back there. It is most definitely not a floral and it's a foody scent that foody haters can love.

I had actually expected to swap this away quickly, but now I think I'll probably get another bottle. It's beautiful and somewhat comforting. I love it. :P

Imp: Buttery cake, a little bit spicy. Actually, it reminds me of a pumpkin blend with how buttery it is.

Wet: Ah, there's the orange. Lots of orange over a buttery cake (less pronounced butter than in the imp, though).

Dry: As this dries, the anise does come out, but its not a sharp licorice scent, more of an understated creamy baked cookie sort of anise. Yummy. I, personally, think bpal needs more anise blends!!! Unfortunately, as it dries down, something goes a little bit off/synthetic with my skin chemistry. Its subtle, and only there if i really hunt for it, but still...it obviously doesn't work as perfectly on my skin as I would hope.

Overall: Alas, I will have to wait for another delicious anise blend.

In the imp this is pure cake. I mean I was seriously swooning over this in the imp

On my skin its less cakey and more orange, with a hint of spice? My hubby seemed to like it more then I did at first, but it seemed to morph even HOURS after I put it on into something nice and light and cakey and sweet.

the jury is still out on if I need a bottle of this but I LOVE the unonmesmell of it :P

in the bottle: Sugar Skull+Custard+Orange= :D

wet on skin: same! :dances around all happy:

dry down: mostly the same, but with a bit more orange glaze. yes- it's GLAZE. this is *not* a fresh-off-the-tree sort of orange. make no mistake. the custard is still holding it's own for sure, and so is the element that smells like Sugar Skull.

in all: for all the foodie fans out there (myself included!) this is TOTAL yum! :D

:P :D :D

From the bottle: Orange cake.

On, this smells like an orange Beaver Moon 2005. Cakey, custardy, orange. So delicious.

This smells so yummy in the imp that I'm already assuming I need a bottle. Orange-frosted cake and custard.

Wet on my skin, the anise sings, but it's backed up by cakey orange. It still smells amazing, and I put enough on so that it's really got some throw. The creamy cake scent fades a little under the anise and orange and the funereal flowers, whatever those are, do peek out from the background, but they don't get overpowering. This is a fantastic scent so far.

The orange does end up more or less blended into the creaminess of the cake-n-custard scent, so it's not as bright as when it starts out. The anise is present but not too strong. All in all, it's a pleasant scent. It's *different*, which is why I love BPAL. I will probably order a bottle of this.

The first time I tested this was actually on my youngest son, because when he sniffed the decant he got that glazed over look in his eyes like he was just given an entire bag of candy. lol

My brief note when I sniffed his hand: "This one I actually tested on my son, because he asked. OMG! It smells like powdered sugar coated vanilla waffle cone. Very yummy."

My son would really like a bottle of this and he's only nine years old. lol

I tested it again on myself and wow does skin chemistry really play a huge role. Here's my brief thoughts when I self-tested: "At first, I could really catch the citrus of the orange; it was very tart on top of the warmer custard scent. I'm sniffing my arm now after several hours and the tartness of the citrus is gone and I'm left with the lovely warm custard cake. It's not super heavy on the food scent, the anise and flowers might be toning that down a bit? (Neither one is apparent at all, though, which is fine with me. :P ) At any rate, I really like this. I think it might be a keeper. I really hope I don't have to choose between it and Sticky Pillowcase for my super sweet Halloweenie foody pick. That would be a tough call. I may have to retest them at the same time to get a feel for them both; SP is candy whereas HdS is cake."

A side note. This stuff has real staying power. I've not hit the shower yet today and I can STILL smell it in the test circle. WOW! Way faded, but definitely still there it has settled deep into my skin for a lovely sweet orange icing on a melt-in-your-mouth pound cake. Definitely confectionery heaven in a bottle.

Edited by wl552

I was ready to lick my arm while this was wet--it was the most wonderful orange cake! Sort of an orangey Eat Me. The anise has really popped out as it's dried, though, and while it's nice it's so different from that cakey goodness. I might try this in my hair to see if the early-stage orange note has a little more staying power.

CAKE!! at first. Then the orange fruit comes out, and a spice..not anise but cardamom. Similiar to Lush's Soft Touch scent. After a bit I can smell the custard, creamy and gelled. Smooth custard cake with a dusting of orange zest. No anise at all. Absolutely wonderful foody fall scent.

When I first applied and it was still wet on my skin I did experience a slight burning sensation but it went away fairly quickly. I am not usually a sensitive person.

This is absolutely my favorite of the Halloweenies. When I'm wearing it, I love to just hold my wrist up to my nose, and take a slow deep breath in. It's just heavenly. The orange mellows out once it's dry on the skin, and I don't smell any florals at all. Very cakey indeed.

In the imp: Spice cake! It smells just like cream cheese frosting! :P

Wet: Oranges! Delicious! Om nom nom... wait, my hand isn't food. But it smells like it! Darnit!

Drying: Creamsicles? This one might just be a keeper. Whatever it is, it's making me have to keep reminding myself that no, my hand isn't food, honest, I don't care how much it smells like it.

I don't know if I got a funky decant or what.. But I'm really missing what everyone else smells. I get a tiny hint of citrus in the decant, but it disappears on my skin. I'm getting what I guess is the custard note, but it smells like a cross between Tokyo Stomp, Green Tree Viper, and Minty love's philosophy on me. All vanilla cream and.. mint :P I don't know if that's the anise.. but shouldn't that smell like licorice? I'm so confused... And sorely disappointed.

Yum!!!

This has that same yummy cake note as eat me! The soft orange is just lovely and i'm very impressed because i ussually hate citrus. This is so soft that it's almost creamy but not the slightest bit powdery.This is so sweet and soft and i just can't stop sniffing myself. I don't get 'buttery" or "floral" at all. This one doesn't have alot of throw but the wear length is decent and it's a beautiful skin scent. If you like foody definately give it a go!

Backup needed :P

When I first put this on, I was in orange butter cake heaven! However, I am not so sure this is a keeper, because my damn skin seemed to amp the anise a little more than I'd like. I don't want to part with it, so I'ma give it some time to set as I just got it today. We'll see what happens!!

I think this is my favorite of the Halloweenie foodies! I'm not usually into orange, but the cakey bits and the anise make it like a toothy , warm creamsickle. NOM!

Ah, Huesos. I am very torn on you. Yes, I am. So on wet, I get a teensy bit of orange, cake batter and the funeral flowers. As it dries, I get more of the custard coming out and the flowers are forgotten. It's like cake and egg custard on my skin.

Unfortunately, I think the vanilla used, or something, turns just slightly plasticky on me.

But... egg custard!

*sigh* But I know... it's not really gonna work out between us. Sad.

Really orangey to start with, a sweet juicy naval orange which cuts through the caramel-cake scent that BPAL's cake blends always have on my skin. This dries down within about an hour to a rich sweet amber/cake scent with quite a lot of throw. I get very little anise, but enough to temper the sweetness, and it balances amazingly well with the orange. I think I can just about detect florals which help to temper the bakery quality and make HdeS something rather more than straight cake. It has really, really impressive staying power. I'm sitting sniffing sweet goodness on my wrists at 11pm and I applied a swipe of Huesos de Santo at 8:30 this morning.

It's pretty much the only Halloweenie that I'm considering getting a bottle of.

OMG yum. This is, hands down, the best BPAL cake scent since Monsterbait:Closet.

I actually don't get anise off it at all, which is fine because I don't care for anise. It's all orangey custardy cake.

I have a decant. I'm buying two bottles, possibly three. And I'm not really a hoarder.

Edited by Shollin

It`s delicious and not exceedingly sweet at all, to my surprise. No anise for me, only custard waterfalls on a light orange cake. It seems to fade fast on me but I don`t care, I will slather it with pleasure :P

A foody masterpiece