Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

The Witching Time of Night

Moonflower, night-blooming cereus, white hellebore, English ivy, monkshood, angel's trumpet, oleander, and eastern hemlock.

thios is very gron up I guess
bit of an old lady scent if I may say :oops:
can't help that, sorry
I do enjoy it though, but it;s just not me wink.gif
it is a very complex one which I think makes it a good scent for the evening
and kind a mysterious like the pretty label
but still, I might have to trade this with someone for something more light!

I LOVE this oil. This was probably the 'weenie I was most looking forward to and it didn't disappoint.

While I had a surprise with this oil, it was a good surprise.

This is florals and the darkness of a nice peaceful swamp, but it isn't heavy. It reminds me very strongly of Chiroptera, but it's Chiroptera after turning into a vampire and hanging out with the wrong crowd. It's light and sweetly floral -- not at all overpowering. And no jasmine, for those who really dislike jasmine!

I really do <3 this oil and will be acquiring at least one bottle of it and maybe two.

In bottle/imp: Lots of fragrant white flowers. A bit of depth and sweetness to this, but mostly they’re perfume-y.

Immediately on skin: This is thick, deep and bright nighttime flowers. I can pick out the moonflower, but that’s about it. They smell mysterious with a touch of sweetness and also a bit of bitterness.

After a little while: This hasn’t morphed much on my skin. It’s still this really deep, mysterious floral blend. There’s a bit of bitterness and smoky flowery notes, but it balances really well with the sweeter florals.

Overall Impressions: This is a lovely nighttime floral blend… without jasmine!! This blend is very floral with a hint of bitterness to balance it. It’s slightly smoky, but not overly so. This is a dark evening type of blend with just enough complexity to keep me sniffing.

Imp: the full moon on a dark night. Pale white and ghostly almost fog like.

Wet on me: now things become clearer. The fog thins in places. I smell the ivy and the moonflower a bit more now

Drying Down: this is smooth and floral but not heavy or overpowering. The green balances it nicely

Dry: this has bewitched me. As I move my arm during my tasks I get this waft of lovely pale white flower scent with undertones of green. Delicate, but not retiring or fading out quickly.

I'm not surprised that I love this one...moonflower and night blooming florals wear well on me. The florals are softened by the dark, velvety in texture and gentled by herbal greenery. For a brief while, the moonflower is distinct, but quickly blended with the other florals and greens...none are overly sweet. I am reminded of Long Night Moon minus the mints...haunting and utterly bewitching.

Sweet white florals at first (I actually thought, WOW, A BPAL FLORAL WITHOUT DEATH!) that remind me of something I remember fondly. I couldn't tell you what that is, but that's the feeling I get. As it dries, Witching... picks up a burning edge that I don't like, though. So much for that.

in vial: very floral

wet: super strong floral

dry: I don't like this floral. I have smelled this type before. Wish I could be more specific but it reminds me of cheap bath products.

In the imp: Floral, spicy and sweet.

Fresh on the skin: Only more so. There's something achingly familiar about this, but I can't put my finger on it. It's a heady floral, but fresh, and strangely pale.

5 minutes later: It has an almost honey-sweet edge despite the slightly bitter greenness of the floral. Rather lovely, actually. I think I like pale sweet flowers like this. It's delicate, but the throw is quite impressive. If this had osmanthus in it, it would be _amazing_. There's something (that honey note) that gets a bit close, but it doesn't quite make it.

10 minutes later: This is kind of like a night-time version of Love-in-idleness, whose pale delicate wildflowers I grew to like a whole lot. This doesn't have the springtime feel of Love-in-idleness, but it does similarly remind me of some bath salts my mom used to have.

1 hour later: This is just so pretty and soft, and somehow dark and pale and delicate all at once. It hasn't gone soapy, and while I think it might go powdery later, I suspect it'll be a nice powdery.

6 hours later: Soft, sweet, delicate, powdery floral. Really lovely.

8 hours later: Still going strong, in its soft way. Maybe a little laundryish, but in the nicest way possible.

10 hours later: A faint veil of it on my wrist. Beautiful.

13 hours later: Ah, it's almost completely faded away, but the last lingering bits are still lovely.

Verdict: Really very nice. I don't know that it's me, quite, but it's nice nonetheless. I'll probably keep the imp but I'm unlikely to buy a bottle. But I might be wrong about that, because I did enjoy it a lot.

One phrase: delicate floral.

Super excited about this one! The concept (and passage from the story it's based on) is so awesome!

In the bottle: Woooow :D I personally am not well versed enough to distinguish each floral note here, but it is a beautiful cool floral, only very slightly green. Pretty much straight up floral.

Wet: The ivy comes out some I think, something is giving it a bit of a soapy tinge. Hemlock is coming forward.. hmm.. a little "cleaning product-ish" at the moment :P uh oh.. it made me sneeze.

Dry: The ivy and hemlock are only discernible when sniffing up close.. The throw is all beautiful florals. I think it's a bit "cleaner" smelling than I would have liked. I would have liked a bit more swampiness in the background to give it a little creepy edge. This to me is a very pretty, mature scent. And I do love night blooming flowers. Over time it turns a little "drier sheet" and generic.. bummer.

Edited by MCS4096

I forgot to review this one! Reminded me a bit of Titania - spectral white flowers. Like my favorite night garden of all white flowers. Very pale, and lightly sweet. Nice sleep blend. Not my usual style, but I love the imagery it conjures!

I couldn’t tell you what the floral notes are that I’m smelling. A bouquet of soft, slightly soapy flowers, not really my thing. I do like the herbal, slightly minty notes. The hemlock and ivy, I’m guessing? They make it more interesting, more mysterious. There is something witchy about it. The medicinal quality makes me think of witches’ potions and such. It’s more than just your typical floral scent, but I still don’t think I can do such a strong floral.

The Witching Time of Night has me wondering if I read the description before I slapped it on my wishlist. I think I let the reviews sway me, LOL. It does have a 'night garden'-yness to it--it's greenery and flowers, with a cool and smooth feel to it. Then it goes to soap. Boo.

Oh my...this is not for me; it's green and soapy, like Irish Springs, and also white floral, like the little pellets that go in toilet paper rolls.

Bottle: Blend of night florals.

Wet: Now we're talking! I'm getting the moonflower, the green bitterness of ivy, and...dangit, soap already?

Drydown: Basically all moonflower and a touch of greenery on the edge.

Dry: A limp bouquet decaying in a vase.

Would I ever wear this? No.

My rating: 2/5

This is all dewy, clingy petals with a hint of greenery - I can't pick out notes very well, but this appears to be the sort of floral that somewhat works on me. Not as well as Arkham, but the absence of jasmine in this is already a plus. I'm not sure how often I'll wear this, as it's almost too heady and perfumey, but it's quite pretty.

I was lucky enough to find a half bottle of this on ebay, and I'm kind of sad: it's so good I have to track down more!

On me at first this smells slightly soapy (and for the first hour or so there is just a hint of soap), but it's not unpleasant. Must be the flower combo...

I smell Ivy and Moonflower for sure, and I love this! What a terrific dark, green perfume! Going strong after 3 hours... 4/5

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

So, when I put it on this morning, the guy states that this is the first BPAL oil that he thought smelled like regular perfume. And he's right. It's a very sweet, white floral and I like it, but it really feels more like perfume than an oil.

Oh, and must use in small quantities. This stuff has a throw!

After reading the reviews on The Witching Time of Night, I've come to the conclusion that aging must have amped the sweetness of the flowers. All I have gotten is syrupy sweet indistinguishable florals with bitter greenery underneath. Incredible throw and staying power, I'm getting close to hour three and it is even stronger now than before. I love moonflower and I'd forgotten I had this imp so I had high hopes, but alas, no good.

I don't usually love florals but when I do I REALLY love them. Let's see what side of the fence this one falls on!

Imp: Cool, green-and-white florals, rather unremarkable but also very pretty. Night-blooming flowers for sure! Reminds me of sitting on my neighbor's porch and watching the bats flit around the open moon flowers he grew every year. It does however feel like it's sort of missing a base note, and needs something darker to deepen it. Maybe musk is lurking in there waiting to come out?

Wet: Soapy white floral. :( There's a lovely, honey-green backing in there somewhere... perhaps the ivy? Otherwise it's all moonflower and oleander and other sweet white flowers. I wish the hemlock would come out more!

Dry: A sweet, high-pitched white floral... but unfortunately it's giving me a headache and turns to soap on my skin. This one will find a new home.

I got a frimp of this with an ebay order. Florals are usually something I hate - things like rose, lily, orchid, gardenia, etc. amp on me and give me headaches or just smell like womanly or old lady perfume, but these I was not familiar with. Sniffing the bottle put a smile on my face, as I did indeed get the visual of witches meeting in the middle of the night. When on it morphs a little and ends up smelling like my best friend's favorite cologne. I can't pick out the notes, not familiar enough, but I'll definitely give other previously ignored scents with similar notes a try, I really like this. Very unisex on me and the florals here are almost aquatic, definitely reminds me of night. I like it more in the imp, but would consider getting a bottle.

A wet, green garden at night, when the moon is full and the mist enshrouds dark figures.

It's slightly sweet floral in there but I couldn't really tell you what flora I'm actually smelling here. Not a bad thing per sé ofcourse.

I really like this! It's atmospheric, green and dark and a little bitter.