Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hay absolute, sun-baked pumpkin rind, twisting vines, and the tiniest sparkle of gleaming metal.

The sun baked pumpkin is the most apparent scent, but the hay and the vines are definitely there. I don't detect the tiny sparkle of metal till I've had the scent on a good long while. On me, this is definitely the most pumpkiny of the pumpkin patch. Throw is light to moderate.

Much nicer than actually sorting through a haystack for a needle. I have been desperately seeking Hay Absolute, so I blame that for my splurge.

I have enjoyed every single one of the pumpkins! They were all very different from each other, and even the ones I feared would not work on my skin, worked mysteriously well. I regret nothing!

imp: a very sunny, hay-like wheaty scent.

wet: ooooohhhhh... yummy warm pumpkin and hay. this is the glorious scent of a warm autumn afternoon.

dry: well, there's the metal scent. very, very faint... but there. and still that warm pumpkin and hay scent. how i wish i could have a whole bottle of this!

This goes on very pumpkiny (which is quite nutty on my skin) but the hay becomes immediately apparent after it hits my skin. It's a very hay like scent - that grassy but dry and warm quality. Just lovely.

straight sniff from imp is hay and grain and lots of punkin with lemon...

there is something in this blend that reminds me distinctly of bad luck woman blues...

problee the caramel...this is powerful stuff and i am thrilled that i was able to

try this out...i never really get anything metallic from this but, meh...you know

how chemistry is ...hehe...

Tested at EC Will Call: Sniffed, it's PUMPKIN (ie butter) which annoyed the hell out of me, thus foody, also a bit spicy. On the drydown, a hint of that sharp chrome note (the same one from Torture Queen) emerges, the pumpkin fades somewhat, and the scent become warm and dry (though I could not detect any hay note disctinctly) with some greenery, presumably from the vines. The least buttery/foody pumpkin scent I've tried. Unisex to masculine.

Edited by fairnymph

With Hay absolute I am reminded very briefly of Hay Moon, until the pumpkin rind enters the picture.

It feels warm, and sunny, and the twisting vines give off a sweet, light floral feel. Maybe not so much floral, but more green. I get the metallic note but it is nowhere near as metallic as egg'd mailbox, more like mechanical phoenix.

Overall a needle in the haystack is a beautiful sun kissed, green pumpkin laying in hay with a touch of metallic.

Edited by Schmoozy

This is a warm sunny pumpkin, surprisingly light. I don't get a huge ozone/metal thing. I get pumpkin, a little hay and a little golden sunshine. Very pretty.

If anyone hated pumpkin, I would try to change their minds with this scent.

in the imp: lemony hay absolute, and not much else.

wet on skin: the pumpkin is picking up a bit and yes, i'm getting that "tang" of metal. weird! :P

dry down: the metal has become the strongest note. but i like it! close on it's heels is the lemon-heavy hay absolute. it's a beautiful combination to be sure.

in all: as a metalsmith, i've actually always shied away from the perfumes with metallic notes. Needle has given me pause. and also begs the question: when are you guys putting this out in a 5mL bottle?!? :D

I just had a drop of this to test, but I don't think I'll need more (thankfully). I get lots of buttery pumpkin from this, with an almost warm, amber type of smell, and perhaps a bit of light greenery for the first half hour. There's also a hint of soft, sweet lemon and dried grass type smell that I loved from Hay Moon. I can't pick out anything metallic, but it does start going slightly powdery on me over the hours.

In the imp, this smells like buttery caramel with something sharp, which I assume is the metal note.

Wet on my skin, this is all lemon on me, even though that is not one of the listed notes...maybe that's the sun-baked aspect???

As it dries, it's pumpkin and lemon with that sharp metal note. I really like this and would have purchased a bottle if it had been available as one.

Initial impression:

Beautiful, amazing pumpkin bread and hay.

First on:

Hay, pumpkin pastry, and... ooh, something metallic! Like sniffing a key, if you've ever done something weird like that.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, this has mutated slightly on my skin and smells a bit funny. The hay, pumpkin and metal is still there, but with a weird twist.

Finally:

It dries down a creamy pumpkin with a metallic hint – I really like it, actually. Is it sacriledge to keep it...?

In the imp: PUMPKIN! I LOVE ME SOME PUMPKIN!!! On me: Smells better in the imp than on me. Interesting scent… Lingers lightly, but fades quickly.

An interesting scent, though not what I was expecting since the pumpkin is nearly non-existent on me! My skin typically amps it, so I’m mystified. I smell sweet, sunny, grassy hay – the hay note also found in Gunpowder - a bit of dark green vine, and something soapy. It’s dry and warm, but I can’t figure out why it smells like soap. Must be my weird chemistry. I’ll keep it for the hay note though – honeyed, herbal, golden.

In the bottle – All I get is sweet, buttery pumpkin

Wet on me – Sun bathed hay and a sparkle of something sweet

Dry on me – The sweet butterish scent of the pumpkin returns and dominates

Overall – Quite a nice sort of scent, but not one that blows me away, which I’m quite glad about as it could be difficult to find a replacement

I was really, really hoping for more hay out of this one :( Smells exactly like Pumpkin IV '07 on me (the one with sweetgrass and sage). Warm, golden pumpkin with the grassy note coming through after about an hour. Nice, but I'll stick with Pumpkin IV. It does change a bit and become... denser than IV '07 after several hours. Interesting!

I've been on a Halloweenies kick lately. I think my subconscious is hoping that if I pretend hard enough, we'll skip over the triple-digit summer heat and go straight to fall. It hasn't worked yet, but one never knows.

Needle in a Haystack...well, first of all, my skin just eats this. Within ten minutes I had to reapply so I could review. That being said...sunny hay dominates, but the pumpkin sits behind it, like...well, like a pumpkin in a haystack in the sunshine. A fresher, outdoors-y pumpkin, though, not the cooked pumpkin that many of the Pumpkin Patch seem to feature. Never any metal, but that might be because it disappears so fast. I really like this, as it brings back fabulous memories of going to the pumpkin patch when we were kids, going on hayrides through the rows of pumpkins, climbing on stacked hay bales while trying to hold the pumpkins we'd picked out...I just wish that it would stick around longer on my skin.

grass (hay more than fresh) and smoke. i'm glad that i got to test this one, but i really wish i got more of the notes. i'm actually surprised to read the note list on this one, because my first impression was the long dry down of a hay and vetiver blend.

An imp of this showed up as a frimp (!!) so I'm very excited to try it.

ITI: Buttery warm hay. Not the usual overwhelming pumpkin.

Wet: The hay note seems to be cutting the pumpkin's tendency to go buttered popcorn on me, and this is really delightful. There is a sweetness thanks to the pumpkin's foody vibe, but it's cut well by dry hay and something a bit green from the vines.

Drying: I'm really getting the metal note as this starts to dry. It adds a really interesting mineral sharpness that really keeps the pumpkin from going fake food on me like it usually does.

Dry: This is a beautiful pumpkin note. It has rich creamy smoke to it and the buttery richness of cooked pumpkin, but the hay, which is the strongest note, and that metallic note are really in the front. I'm pumped to find a pumpkin note I can wear, but am bummed that I will probably never find any more of this. It's really a smooth, wonderful pumpkin.

Perfumed buttered movie theater popcorn is what this smelled like at first - not best pleased. On drydown it became more floral, but as it's similar to other BPAL florals I already have, I'll be passing this on to another.

BPTP frimped me this! i get the ozoney metal part with pumpkin. neither notes i like and a super-odd combination. a minute later i get more hay and vines adding to the curious mix of green/metal and hay/foody, which are like opposites calling for attention. metallic foodiness. after about 10-15 minutes on the pumpkin has pretty much disappeared and it's an ozoney-green combination. not as bad as with the pumpkin, but not really my cup of tea so i will be swapping this.

Edited by theseagrows

I got my hands on a decant of this, and I'm honestly heartbroken they never did this in 5ml, and that it has such a short life. It's a pity. It's wonderful. It's warm, sweet, grassy pumpkin autumn in a vial. This is such a comforting scent.

Golden hay with pumpkin—distinctly the rind, not foodie at all. Then it's super green on my skin, all vines all the time. Some of the pumpkin comes back once it’s been dry a little while, with only the tiniest peep of metal. Fades completely after three hours.