Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with black musk, leather accord, tonka, teak, orange wood, and opoponax.

Well, I hadn't ever tried a pumpkin scent prior to this Will Call, when I tried all of the LE ones. It's a mild but pervasive note, actually quite reminiscent of real sweet pumpkins -- although cooked, not raw, which threw me off for a moment. It's a baked pumpkin smell, which reads somewhere between sweet hay and burnt butter.

Anyhow, Pumpkin II is what I'm wearing right now, and it's lovely. Aside from the cooked pumpkin, there's a good deal of sweetness from the tonka and opoponax (which my nose interprets as myrrh + Peru balsam) and a subtle wood-and-leather overtone. The whole thing just avoids being foody by exactly the right amount -- I'm a big fan. I'm glad I bought a bottle of this, and actually beginning to wonder if I'll need another -- this is a brilliant smell for cold weather. Going up there on my winter scents list alongside Nemesis and Dee. (Hah, all three of those have tonka in them. Hmmm.)

This is reminiscent of a slightly less spicy, darker cousin of Bezoar + No. 93 Engine, enough so that I'd almost think that it had beeswax in it. Also, as someone mentions above, rather like Perversion without all the drinkin' and smokin'. Lovely.

This is one of my favorites of all the Pumpkin patch's that I've tried. It reminds me of the others, but I really like the supporting notes in this. Aside from the familiar buttery pumpkin note, I smell mostly woods and tonka, and just a hint of leather. Somehow the woods smell earthy, and in fact, this is close to what I wanted Shattered Pumpkin to smell like. This is a winner!

At the beginning, I got a big whiff of pumpkin and leather. And now that it has dried I get the orange wood from it, which smells slightly orangey + pumpkin + a hint of leather.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this blend. I'm not sure I like it, but I'm not sure I dislike it.

In the imp: Pumpkin right off the top, but mellower somehow. Can't pick out any other individual notes.

Wet: oooh. First hit is pumpkin pie, but then comes a sweet leather and wood scent. *fwump*

Dry: This is sweet, but not cloying. The musk has come out, which is normal for me since I amp it. I smell the tonka and teak more strongly, and the pumpkin is more of a background. This is nom-worthy!

I had very low expectations of this one, as I don't like leather on me and I apparently amp it. I really just got the decant to complete the patch so I could get a sniffy of Needle in a Haystack.

In the imp, I can definitely smell the leather, with pumpkin and a bit of musk. On me, yep, still leather. The pumpkin comes out more strongly for a bit, and it sweetens up, which is almost nice. It smells very much like a store I've been in, but I can't figure out which one, or where. After 20 minutes or so, the sweetness falls back a bit, and the leather is definitely at center stage on me. I almost like it, but don't. Not a winner for me, unfortunately.

the leather/pumpkin combo is also found in The Shattered Pumpkin, but i prefer it here. this is a very spicy, sexy pumpkin! i can’t believe i used the words “sexy” and “pumpkin” in the same review, but that’s bpal for you, i guess. along with the strong leather note, i keep thinking i smell cinnamon. the tonka adds sweetness and the musk brings warmth. i don’t get any butter from this, as other reviewers did. just a whole lot of leather and spice. the only negative is that it doesn’t have a lot of throw.

Holy crap I think my skin must amp pumpkin. All I am getting here is buttery, rich pumpkin. I can faintly detect the tonka, but no leather, or musk or anything else. Almost to the point where I smell like a Yankee Candle. Poo, I really wanted to like this. I guess it's swapping time :P

Oh no!

So far I really dislike this one. :P

When I first got the bottle it was cloying muffin-smell - like a 'muffin' candle from a drugstore.

I aged it for a couple of weeks, opening periodically got some of the higher notes evaporated. This worked somewhat, but now it's a cloying butter scent in the bottle. I wore it for a while and after an hour, some lovely dusty musks come through...

Gonna have to age this for a while and see what happens. :D

This scent fully delivers on it's promised description: dry and spicy - leathery - pumpkin. Having said that, once the scent fully dried on me it went a little artificial smelling: a little shopping-mall-candle-store crossed with cologne.

Although I'm usually partial to gender-bending scents on me I'm chalking up the mis-match to my body chemistry. :P I have the suspicion on the right guy this might be delectable.

I so hoped that this would be like a pumpkin spiced Perversion on me, but the black musk once again rears its ugly head and ruins a blend for me.

On me, this is pumpkin spice candle plus cheap men’s cologne. Black musk always smells like cheap, cold, overwhelmingly musky cologne to me. That musk plus the hint of smoky leather smells like a man I’d never go out with... and now he's offering me a pumpkin spice candle. No thanks.

I'm (obviously) not a fan of black musk, so this won't be a full bottle purchase for me. I might keep my decant in the hopes that the black musk mellows down, but I'm not hopeful. The black musk never mellows down for me, lol.

My boyfriend thought this smelled like chocolate-- I see where he's coming from, as it's very rich and creamy, from the pumpkin and tonka, and with a dark edge, from the leather. I wondered if the other notes would overpower the pumpkin in this, but really, they just blend together quite well. The leather smells very real, especially once it gets out of the bottle ( I find leather notes always take some time to open up.) The black musk is neither strong nor powdery. I quite like it, though I'm starting to feel like all the pumpkin blends are too similar for me to keep multiples...

In the imp: Woodsy vanilla buttery pumpkin.

Fresh on the skin: Woodsy, but a nice spicy dry rich resiny wood, and pumpkin all dark and not too over the top foody. I think the musk is anchoring it nicely on my skin, too. After the disaster that was Pumpkin IV '08, I'm quite pleasantly surprised.

10 minutes later: This has a dark orange smell, exotic woods perfectly burnt and polished to a high, silky shine.

20 minutes later: I can't even explain why I like this, I just do. It smells of lovingly oiled dark woods, but with this subtle sweetness from the tonka and pumpkin that just add to the elegance rather than taking it into foody territory.

40 minutes later: Seriously, this is wonderful. Warm and sweet and glowing.

1 hour later: This has faded down to a mostly nice sweet wood smell, but if it was warm and glowing before it's gone a little cold now. Much lighter. And a little... plasticky? Hrm. Goes in and out a little. Mostly it's really quite nice.

1.5 hours later: Oh. Oh, this as gone warm again, spicy-sweet elegant wood, with a nice, subtle, lovely throw. This is just getting better and better.

2.5 hours later: Still light and lovely, warm and natural.

3 hours later: Shoot. I think this is beginning to shift in the laundry direction.

3.5 hours later: Or maybe it's going to go warm and spicy and woody again.

5 hours later: Light, spicy woods, maybe a little laundryish, but nice.

7 hours later: Soft, sweet, warm.

14 hours later: It's still there, wow. Soft and fuzzy and nutty and woodsy and a tiny bit spicy, faint but definitely there.

15 hours later: I think this might be finally fading out.

16 hours later: Lingering...

21 hours later: Um. I'm pretty sure that tiny hint of caramel-wood on my wrist is the last little bit of this. Wow.

Verdict: I liked this, and much much more than I thought I might, actually, given the way woods have been misbehaving on me recently. It's maybe not my favorite thing ever, certainly, but I could definitely see myself wearing it occasionally. And it lasted freaking _forever_, and was quite nice the whole time.

One phrase: sweet dark woods.

in the bottle: LEATHER! :D (oh, and a bit of something sweet that might be pumpkin :D)

wet on skin: more leather, with a trace of other sweeter, lighter unknowable things underneith.

dry down: wow. it's blended into a gorgeous mix of leather, myrrh and pumpkin. it's seamless, no one note any stronger than any others. beautiful.

in all: i've never found a blend with leather in it that has worked on me before this one. but this is really wonderful- not too strong but with a decent throw, i could see wearing this out with friends, but also on christmas day with visiting family. interesting, unique and versatile, i'm really glad i have a bottle of Pumpkin II!

:P

The first few times I tried this it was full on buttery pumpkin, super sweet. Now after aging for almost a month a slight bit of the leather has come out, though not nearly as much as I would have hoped. I don't get the teak either, which is pretty much the whole reason I chose to get a bottle of this one.

I like this blend, I just wish it wasn't so tooth-achingly sweet. I can't really see wearing this outside of the fall season.

In imp: yummy pumpkin (like Jack) with tonka and orange. Delicious and foody! No leather or teak in sight!

Wet on skin: Jack without the cloying peach. So sweeet and creamy and comforting! A decant isn't enough - I want a bucketful!

Dry on skin: less sweet now, but still creamy/buttery. There's a hint of leather emerging, which combined with teak makes it rather manly. I think I can smell what must be orangewood too. The pumpkin is fading into the background. Then the manly aspect fades and what's left is close to the skin, soft, earthy, creamy pumpkin and tonka. It's good, but I prefer Pumpkin IV! The leather and teak makes this too masculine for me.

i bought this one thinking pumpkin perversion but this lacks the coconut rum that i love in perversion it's still nice though.

in bottle: hmmm smokey

wet: a match that's just been put out in water

Dry: This becomes a very sweet creamy pumpkin soup with a dash of rum cook in a can on an open fire until slightly caramelised. Very Nice but very strong.

I received the Pumpkin Patch for Christmas from my husband's parents, who had no idea what it was, but were game to buy me the thing I wanted most! Today, I tried Pumpkin II. I didn't have time to check the scent notes before leaving for church, so I had no idea what to expect when I put it on.

In the bottle, it smells very similar to Love's Philosophy (at least to me), which is cream and vanilla. I would guess that's the pumpkin and the tonka, since I don't see a cream or milk note.

Wet, my first whiff is much the same, but with a sharper, deeper undernote. It must be the leather (an unfamiliar note in perfume) or the musk, or both.

Within seconds, it changes: the wood and musk come forward, while the pumpkin and tonka recede to almost nothing.

Once dry, it's wonderfully blended, but it smells nothing like I expected! It's musky with a hint of leather, but with a strong creamy, buttery base.

Edited by MaidMirawyn

Pumpkin II 08

In the imp: sweet pumpkin, with something almost like vanilla, probably the tonka.

Wet on skin: sweet and almost amber-y golden pumpkin. Maybe some black musk and tonka.

Dry on skin: a slight hint of leather, but it’s not the strongest note. This is really gorgeous. Its mainly pumpkin, but a sophisticated resinous pumpkin like that of Pumpkin Queen. I’d be tempted to call this one Pumpkin Prince, as it smells quite sexy and leaning towards the masculine, but not too much. There’s leather and black musk here but they are not dominant. I don’t even smell that much wood here I think it is tonka which is the second most obvious note here. There’s a smidge of opoponax, that’s probably what gives this pumpkin scent a lovely resinous aspect.

After a while: gradually, the leather comes out, and what a sexy leather note it is. This now makes me think of Hand of Glory, but with the smoky beeswax replaced with pumpkin! This gets more and more leathery as the scent progresses but the leather never overwhelms. The pumpkin is dominant, but it’s not cloying or sickly, not too buttery. The woods ground these notes nicely, the tonka and musk add a deep sweetness.

Verdict: I’ve now tried two versions of this, both quite different. The detailed one here is for my decant, and I love it. Subtle leather, good strong tonka and musk, gorgeous opoponax undertones with a little bit of gourmand richness from the pumpkin. It smells like a sexy pumpkin, almost masculine but very wearable for me as well. I love it. I then got a bottle and what I smelt there was quite different-the leather was much, much stronger (like De Sade leather), the tonka and musky resin not as apparent, and over it all was a pungent and savoury spice reminiscent of curry. I was not keen on that. It smelt a lot more like the Shattered Pumpkin, in fact. I suppose I’ll keep the decant and make the most of the wonderful sexy ‘Pumpkin Prince’ scent I get there!

Emoticon rating: :heart: (the decant) :confused: (the bottle)

Is it a keeper? the decant.

If you like this, try: The Shattered Pumpkin, Pumpkin IV, Perversion, Hand of Glory, Pumpkin V 07

Pumpkin and smoky black leather is what I'm getting, plus an addition of dry woodiness and some spice. Feels very autumnal. :) It is indeed buttery, veering towards masculine.

This is very strong for my tastes and I have to really make an effort to say that I like it--I have a feeling I'm not very enthusiastic about pumpkin. :( I associate it with candles now; can't help it.

Pumpkin II is very unusual and I'm glad to have tried it, but I'm afraid I can't stand this one for very long--not even to find the notes!

Happy day - I ordered a bottle of this from the lab at the last minute before the Halloweenies went down. I'm only just getting around to reviewing, but I enjoy this one quite alot! Especially on the Miter :yum: The pumpkin doesn't come out quite so much on him as it does on me and the leather comes through better on him. Dark, earthy and hot. Yay :twisted:

Whoa, this one smells awesome. I thought I would probably like it just from looking at the description, and it's really nice. Not too much of any one note in here, it just smells smooth and warm. Very rich. Slightly more foody than I would have guessed. The leather and teak come out more when it's dry, and for me that's a plus. This one's a favorite.

In the bottle – Pumpkin and pineapple?!?

Wet on me – Buttery pumpkin

Dry on me – Pumpkin and ashes :rasp:

Overall – This just didn’t work on me

I really like this. It's like a "bad" dark pumpkin, with the musk, although there is a definite sweet spiciness about it too. I get a butter right away, that kind of fades after a bit. The incense comes out to play after an hour or so. The end result is an incensey, musky, slightly spicy sweet pumpkin. I likes it, and will treasure this decant.

eta: Another hour later, and this is "Perverted Pumpkin" aka a variation of Perversion, with a bit more spice. I love even more *swoon*.

Edited by milo

I was really looking forward to this from the descriptions.

It smells lovely in the bottle, buttery pumpkin, I can mostly smell the tonka and pumpkin when applied... making it smooth and buttery. I very nice foody smell...like pumpkin cake.

The lasting power is nil on me though... lasted maybe 2-3 hours before I had to really sniff wrists to get the scent.

Sad, cause its nice!