Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
othelloperrello

Chant D'Automne

The scent of the year's fall and the setting sun, ominous and foreboding: dried leaves, charred wood, blood musk, amber, khus, and Nicotiana tabacum.

In the vial: a dead ringer for Cristalle by Chanel, probably because both are strong on the vetiver. Now that i have it on my skin for a while i get a bit of empty ashtray too.
Well it's a bit too much vetiver and *cough* tobacco for me this won't be one of my favorites.

I got a bottle of this from the lab's Etsy site. It had a week to settle down before I tried it... then I fell in love

I saw a lot of reviews likening this to tobacco smoke and ashtrays. On me, this is anything but! In fact, I went back to Etsy and got another bottle of it since I can't be sure I'll get another chance.

On me, this is smoky leaves and apples with a whisper of spice drifting through. Its not fruity despite the apples. It's not spicy despite the spice. Its not woody and yet...

It's July here in Seattle and we just had a big thunderstorm roll through (Thunder and lightning are very rare here) ands the rain has laid down all the dust and pollution. The air is cool, soft, and smells new. And somehow it all reminds me of this perfume. Soft, wrapping around you and making you feel comfortable with a hint of sweetness from the apple.

I can see this one is going to be a favorite for awhile.

5 out of 5.

sharp bitter. I get whiffs of amber which gives a tiny bit of sweet evry so often. there's a kind of ozone note. I can't pick out the dead leaves or wood, but it is a smokey scent. wet it's so strong but it settles.

This imp of Chant d'Automne is 11 years old.  In the imp and on wet, it's a lovely smoky version of the dead leaves note.  The amber is there if I sniff for it, becoming more prominent as it dries down.  There's definitely some dark smoky vetiver and tobacco in here, though I'm not sure I can pick out the blood musk; it may have aged away.  As it dries down, it gets softer and cozier.  I love the dead leaves note -- hey, I love all these notes -- and this is a total win on me.

In the bottle: Getting heaps of dead leaves, followed by vetiver and small touches of musk and tobacco.

Wet: Charred wood and tobacco come to the forefront, while the leaves/vetiver take a step back. The amber is starting to become more of a presence.

Dry: Softened, burned wood and leaves with a trickle of tobacco. As it continued to dry, the amber continued to soften the earthy/smoky notes.

This particular blend has a handful of my favorite notes - I'm glad I leapt at a bottle! It reminds me of late autumn bonfires, and it's quite cozy as Lucchesa mentioned.

2019 version. In the decant, the Lab's dead leaves, with a bit of smokiness and a lot of red musk. After applying, the amber and tobacco start to come out more. The overall impression is dry, slightly smoky leaves and red musk -- dark, late-autumnal, but also weirdly cozy. If you like the dead leaves scents, this is one to check out.

2019 version.

This is mostly about the dead leaves on me, backed by the red musk, neither of which are as big of bullies as they usually are on me. The leaves don't go bell pepper or cologne, and the red musk is much softer than usual. These notes are swirled with the tobacco, and when the leaves calm down, it's mostly a slightly powder amber and tobacco scent by the end of the day, accompanied by some musk. It's a much lighter scent by that point, though!

Although this is not a scent I'd reach for, it worked better on me than these notes normally would.