Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gwydion

Meditation in Autumn

A desolate scent, dusty, bleak, and withered: old wood, burnt brown sandalwood, and twisted vines.

there is something about this that reminds me of Darkness. it’s the scent of a candle flame being extinguished. waxy, smoky, and also slightly soapy. i think there’s a bit of ozone, which i’m really picky about, but it’s lovely here. and then there’s the natural, green scent of the vines. a quiet forest path where vines are growing over the wood, a mist hangs in the air, the smoke from a campfire in the distance. i love that all of this year’s Halloweenies are so evocative of a certain time and place for so many of us. i know my decant of this won’t be enough.

Smells like a freshly shaven, and squeaky clean man.

Very masculine, soapy, and crisp.

I kinda like it. It is definitely not what I was expecting.

It has an aquatic, and airy feel to it.

WTF?! I get Victoria's Secret Pink mixed with their Sexy Little Things wieeeeerd! Absolutley beautiful, don't get me wrong, but nothing at all like the scent description. Light, beautiful floral with wisteria or something like purple perfume. Crazy!

I was kindly frimped this this week and had never heard of it before. This could be the perfect autumn scent for me.

It has a cleanness about it. This is the autumn leaves, dry and crispy, the fresh dry air, before everything gets rained on and goes all musty. It's leaves, but not mulchy, it's autumn but not foody, it's clean but not in a floral way.

This was in fact the scent of today. Having been ill, I haven't been outside for a few days, and today I went out and saw the first, crisp orange leaves on the ground, the blue sky, the sunshine and that autumnal sniff in the air, the tiniest hint of a bonfire from yesterday.

Try this if you like ozone, and want to try something that isn't pumpkin for autumn. I'd like this as a house scent I think too.

Meditation in Autumn

In the imp: ivy, wood, and a hint of cologne.

Wet on skin: greenish ivy and vines with something perfumey.

Dry on skin: this one is really interesting but I’m not sure if I’m keen on it…the thing that intrigues me is the vine note. It really does smell like ivy, thick and green, it smells just like the smell that lingers on your hands when you’ve been pulling away thick vines or overgrown ivy. This really smells like thick, overgrown greenery, a bit weedy, but much thicker. The thing I’m not crazy about here is the cologne-like or perfume like undertone this has. It smells like men’s perfume, and a tad mainstream, even a bit like ozone. It has a sharpness that reminds me of mainstream men’s deodorants or ‘sporty’ perfumes.

After a while: this seems to alternate between smelling purely of thick deep green vines and the less pleasant smell of sporty perfume every now and then. But it seems to smell more and more like the masculine perfume smell. Where’s the sandalwood? The drydown reminds me of the likes of October (the first version) and Windy Moon, both of which turned to sharp manly perfume on me. I’d say this is a bit more woody and vine-y.

Verdict: not for me, I’m afraid. There is something that smells sharply, aggressively aftershave-y in here, manly perfume and ozone-scented sporty deodorant. The vine note is intriguing, it really smells authentic. Reminds me of helping out with the gardening, the smell of clearing away the ivy that grows in places where it shouldn’t grow. But the perfumey undertone really grates. I don’t even smell the sandalwood, a note I normally love. I think I’ll stick with Blade of Grass for my autumn fix.

Emoticon rating: :(

Is it a keeper? nope.

If you like this, try: Twisted Oak Tree, Wiley’s Swamp, Thorns, Windy Moon, October

I received this as a tester frimp bottle a couple months ago and am just now getting around to test this.

I agree with everyone else who says this isn't at all what I was expecting! It's a very fresh ozone with a wood backdrop- definitely reminiscent of a fall day in the woods when the air is crisp and the leaves are starting to drop.

I wish I could remember who sent me the bottle, because it's not one I would have picked for myself and I'm glad it was sent to me. Another surprise BPAL.

I'm really glad i'm not the only one that is not smelling what she expected :lol: I don't get a lot of wood, I get that cool ozone in there a lot though, it is a LOT lighter than i expected and NOT AT ALL like Twisted Oak Tree ... in fact I would say it is the flip-side of that scent, instead of heavy sweet woods this is light and breezy.

Weird, this is a light, green floral on me. It's the opposite of dusty, desolate and bleak. Others have mentioned a soapy clean, aquatic scent. I don't know where it's coming from, but I have to agree.

In the decant, it smells like fresh-from-the-dryer laundry and ironed shirts. On the skin, it is all ozone and aquatics on me, with a hint of Clean Man Smell. Definitely not what I expected. More than anything, this smells like my dad getting ready to go out to a dinner party. A nice scent memory, but not something I need as a perfume.

WTF? Soap, soap, soap. No sandalwood and bleakness here. :cry2:

(2012 version)

This is for the 2012 version.

In the decant: Traces of wood, vines, and sandalwood.

Wet: Sharp vines, somewhere between summer green and autumnal brown.

The dry-down: The old wood and the brown sandalwood returned, but only faintly. This is still just mostly all the time vines. Nice, but nothing I need more of.

Lovely greenery and aquatic note. It does get soapy after awhile, but lovely while it stays in the first stage. I don't need any more, as I have Ded Moroz and Cloth of Gold, which fulfill my greenery and snow needs.

It smells delightful on me and has great staying power. Goes on sharply floral, then mellows to a pleasant rich scent for the rest of the day. This may have to be my first 5ml! It does, however, have what I would call a more 'mainstream/commercial' smell, to it, but I still love it. I got it this frimp as an aged decant, though, so it's probably different from what comes straight from the lab.

Fresh, this is all soap, soap, SOAP. Hand soap.

An hour or so later, I get sandalwood cushioned with soap and a sort of minty cologne.

Not really my thing. ;)