Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The butchest, manliest of musks covered in well-worn leather.

This smells like a dentist's office on both me & my husband.

Straight from the imp, this is 100% RUGGED MANLY MAN, a big, tough guy clad in leather. Brom Bones smells like it could easily take down De Sade in a fistfight. It's quite possibly the single butchest BPAL I've ever sniffed -- so much so that I wasn't sure I could pull it off; I thought it would smell completely incongruous on me, and that the throw would be overwhelming.

But I was wrong! As soon as it's on, the musk starts coming out and warming it up. It's as if Brom Bones walks inside, hangs his leather jacket on the back of a chair (he never puts it all the way away; it's still there at the end, just adding some depth and complexity and a nice impression of fine leather goods), puts his feet up, and gets mellow and conversational. I can't really tell the difference between the Lab's various musks, but a lot of them develop this warm, almost sweet, almost cocoa-butter undertone on me, and this one is no exception. And it wears surprisingly close to the skin.

Verdict: The big bruiser guy is a gentleman after all. I'm quite tickled that I can actually pull this one off!

I got this one for my husband to try because I thought he might like it. He hasn't tried it yet, so I don't know whether he likes it, but I sure do. The leather in it doesn't smell like sleek black leather, it smells lived-in. The musk seems quite dark and masculine. It kind of smells like a cowboy sort of scent to me, and I happen to like that sort of scent. I definitely like this one.

In the bottle: Kind of a weird, medicinal leathery smell, almost like a new leather chair in a dentist's office. I didn't think I'd like this based on sniffing from the bottle.

On, wet: A different kind of leather, like a beat-up old duster that's seen more than a few bar fights.

On, dry: I really don't get a lot of musk out of this at all. On me, it's all old leather with a touch of smoke in the background. I really, really like this, and I can see layering it with something like Absinthe to play down the freshness of that oil.

I'm apologizing beforehand, because I usually do the whole imp to dry review. But this imp didn't change on me at all, and it is going to be kept and cherished simply for the sheer :blink: of scent that it was on my skin.

Basically, I got a decant of this in a mystery pack from a lovely forumite. I tried it on, and my reaction was "this smells so familiar...what is it???"

I had a friend sniff my wrist and she agreed it was familiar. I sniffed again.

"I know what it is!" :blink: "It's the baggage claim at LAX?!"

Honestly, this smells on me like the scent of industrial suitcases(fabric/vinyl, not leather) coming off of the conveyor belt while standing next to people who have been in their cologne so long that it has become skin-warmed and mellow.

This is probably one of the most unusual oils I have tried.

A kind frimp from ImperatrixMundi —Thank you!

Imp: Holy sweet, damp, leather batman, this is SEXY.

Wet: Mmm, leather. That is all. Its sweet leather, and a little citrusy.

Drying: Same sweet leather with a masculine fougere-cologney musk. Oh. Gawd.

Dry: Leather Sex. Yum.

Overall: DH actually LIKES this one (to wear--its too masculine for me, but its delish on him). I’ve been trying to find a sexy leather blend that he’d actually like to wear (because that’s what I want to smell on him occasionally). Generally, they’re not his thing, but he likes this one! WOOT!

Apparently, this is hard to find, but I'm gonna try! He smells so good in it!

Sniffed: Peachy-golden oil. Cologne (sort of green-floral and a little sharp), musk, and leather. Surprisingly fresh.

Wet: Way more leather, leather overload! It is not the leather of De Sade, but neither is it my beloved Dead Man's Hand/Quincy Morris leather note, though it's much closer to the latter - it still has a bit of a sharp edge. It's worn but not well-worn; it hasn't been fully softened yet. I also get a sort of almost anisey spicy-herbal-sharp note too? And delicious sexy manly musk.

Dry: Going sort of dry/dusty, and there's an almost citrusy note? The leather note is beginning to resemble worn leather more, but it still lacks the smooth refinement. The musk is quite sweet, maybe it's black musk at least in part? It has that almost edible foody quality.

Summary: I take it back - this has plenty of sharp, chemical-powdery De Sade style leather. It has the other leather and some dry dusty woods, medicinal herbs and rich musk - but too much De Sade for me. It could maybe work on a man so I'll hold on to my imp. Strong throw and longevity.

:(

Ok, this starts out as something I can only describe as "Tap-shoe leather" and stays that way for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time. Eventually the leather becomes worn and the musk softens this a little bit, but the shiny tap-shoe leather stage gives me a headache.

This is all cold , black leather all the time . Combined with seriously manly musk :werewolf: This is scent NOT for the faint hearted . I remember going to Willcall & this being something I tried just a small drab of , then driving home & smelling nothing but Brom , even though I had tried others that night . So , throw = strong . If you're looking for a leather to top Whip , Lovitar or any of the other lab leather scents , this is the one for you .

779370405_3mnXu-Ti.jpg

This blend surely paid to age, because my first impression of this last year wasn't a good one: it was very aftershave-y, so much so that the leather was overshadowed. However, after a year, I've come to a new appreciation of it. The leather note is that of well-cared for tack or boots, rather than a more decorative leather item (like a coat). This leather blend is strong, but smooth, and there is now a watery touch just underneath which is very pleasant to the nose. I love this perfume, and am very grateful for having more than a decant to hoard.

Edited by stellans

Me and Mr. Bones, we got a thing going on.

The only thing in my stash I can compare this to is Western Diamondback: both have a warm leather note, but Brom Bones is all-leather-and-musk-all-the-time.

Where WD goes sweet and cuddly on me, Brom Bones is the most charming or dangerous man you'll ever meet. It just depends on what day it is and how he's feeling.

I am in love with this. More after I slather it on the manly guinea pig (MGP) later.

Bottle: I suspect I will not enjoy this scent. Pity. It smells like leather dipped in tar.

Wet: More leathery. I smell like a mechanic or greasemonkey.

Drydown: Faint amberish leather.

Dry: Leather shoe polish.

Would I ever wear this? Hell no.

My rating: 1/5

This is very strong when I wear it. It's mostly leather with some spicy musk, almost like red musk but not quite as red. Still, this reminds me a little of The Red Rider. Reminds me of oakmoss, too.

This is one of those scents that is just too strong for me even though it smells good. It just overpowers me but I still wear it every once in a while.

Origin:

5mL bought on LJ.

Preconceived notions:

I tend to like masculine scents, so the "butchest, manliest" musk doesn't worry me and the leather should be fine, too, since I'm having really good luck with leather at the moment. I have a feeling this could be a favorite if it works out as well as I think it's going to.

First sniff:

Oh, that's good. Smooth musk and well-worn leather. Simple but beautiful. I wouldn't call this masculine, really. It's gender neutral to my nose.

Wet on skin:

Same as in the bottle. The musk is almost fuzzy and it has a hint of spice to it. It reminds me a bit of Ivanushka plus leather. This isn't a tough-guy scent. No, this is a guy who looks like a badass with his leather jacket and don't fuck with me stare but fosters orphaned bunnies in his spare time. :lol:

Dry down:

I love this. I really, really love this. The only difference between the drydown and the bottle scent on me is that the leather comes out just a little bit more on the drydown. It's still a snuggle, fuzzy, slightly spicy musk and well-worn leather.

The bottom line:

This is going in my favorites box. I almost wish I didn't love this so I could avoid the hassle of trying to track down more (I tend to slather my scents, so a stockpile is a necessity), but it's worth the effort. :heart:

A fellow forumite was kind enough to share a tester of this in my quest to try all the leathers, and I'm super glad I got to try this, because it's pretty great. On me this is a warm, dry, spicy, true leather with an undertone of smooth musk. It's masculine in a good way, but also turns a bit sweet on me- the first time I tried it, it was more of a vanilla/ambery sweet, the second time more amber-musk sweetness. In any case, it's one of bpal's great leather scents and it's quite lovely. It's also got great staying power- over 12 hours later I'm still getting hints of it off my wrist.