Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Among these the most formidable was a burly, roaring, roystering blade, of the name of Abraham, or, according to the Dutch abbreviation, Brom Van Brunt, the hero of the country round, which rang with his feats of strength and hardihood. He was broad-shouldered and double-jointed, with short curly black hair, and a bluff, but not unpleasant countenance, having a mingled air of fun and arrogance. From his Herculean frame and great powers of limb, he had received the nickname of BROM BONES, by which he was universally known. He was famed for great knowledge and skill in horsemanship, being as dexterous on horseback as a Tartar.

He was foremost at all races and cock-fights; and, with the ascendancy which bodily strength acquires in rustic life, was the umpire in all disputes, setting his hat on one side, and giving his decisions with an air and tone admitting of no gainsay or appeal. He was always ready for either a fight or a frolic; but had more mischief than ill-will in his composition; and, with all his overbearing roughness, there was a strong dash of waggish good humor at bottom. He had three or four boon companions, who regarded him as their model, and at the head of whom he scoured the country, attending every scene of feud or merriment for miles round. In cold weather he was distinguished by a fur cap, surmounted with a flaunting fox's tail; and when the folks at a country gathering descried this well-known crest at a distance, whisking about among a squad of hard riders, they always stood by for a squall. Sometimes his crew would be heard dashing along past the farmhouses at midnight, with whoop and halloo, like a troop of Don Cossacks; and the old dames, startled out of their sleep, would listen for a moment till the hurry-scurry had clattered by, and then exclaim, "Ay, there goes Brom Bones and his gang!" The neighbors looked upon him with a mixture of awe, admiration, and good will; and when any madcap prank, or rustic brawl, occurred in the vicinity, always shook their heads, and warranted Brom Bones was at the bottom of it.

The butchest, manliest of musks covered in well-worn leather.

In bottle: sweet dusky leather

On skin: woo, there's a blast of swarthy musk, but it's tempered by the dry slightly-sweet leather

Half-hour later: pretty much the same, the smutty musk anchoring the dry leather

In conclusion: the simple ingredients of dark musk and sweet dusty leather make an awesome combination. The musk isn't too masculine on me either; it's deep and dreamy. This ends up as an acceptable dupe of Dead Man's Hand, one of my favorite uniquely-BPAL blends. I knew I'd love this one! wub.gif

A scent that competes with Iago, De Sade, Dead Man's Hand, and Quincy Morris for leathery, sexy goodness.

The leather note here is almost pure rawhide, like Dead Man's Hand, like Quincy. The tinge of black leather (De Sade, Iago) that I think I detect may only be the smooth sweetness of the musk. And it is a hell of a musk.

This is a rich, smooth, deep musk, but it doesn't have the cola note that Smut has, or the boldly feral odor of the really dark musks or civet musks. It's a warm, masculine skin musk. Very, very sexy. Incredibly sexy. And it blends so well with the leather that it's impossible to tell where one begins and the other ends.

This is such a simple scent, just musk and leather, and it's a crying shame that it won't be added to the GC, because it absolutely deserves it. It's just the right musk and just the right leather.

I can wear musky scents well and turn them to the smell of pure sex. I have a friend who cannot, but this smelled wonderful even on her. People who normally steer clear of musks might do well to try this anyway.

The warmth and darkness of it are absolutely enfolding, and the longer it wears, the more settled and subtle it becomes, without becoming powdery or nasty in any way. A perfect balance.

Please try this! It's not so masculine that women couldn't wear it. My husband finds it irresistible.

Edited by Naamah_Darling

In the Bottle: Dry and dusty leather with a bit of a tangy back note. There's a bit of dirt in there... this is not warm supple oiled leather, but cracked and put away wet. Weird!

On the Skin: The same dry and dusty leather, but with a touch of the warmth of musk in there.

After a While: The leather fades, and a distant and cool musk remains.

Verdict: I really like this - it doesn't have the deliciousness of the musk in Galvanic Goggles :P , it's darker, dryer, and more remote. It's a keeper, and I'm going to save it for days when I need to channel my inner badass.

In the bottle, I get LEATHER!!! with a hint of musk. On wet, it's mostly leather again. As it dries, it's a lovely, dark leather and musk scent, yet somehow manages to smell clean as well. I LOVE this on my husband. It's perfect.

In The Bottle

It's leather amd musk alright. Yum! The leather is more saddle leather than fine jacket leather.

On Application

The leather is actually quite sweet, courtesy of the musk, I guess.

Dry Down

Oh my I love this. I am going to stock up on this. Reminds me of the deep, old leather in Western Diamondback without the vanilla. Brilliant.

Rating (0-5)

Mantastic! I believe I sniffed this and said something like "whoa holy manliness!" It's quite powerful, quite in-your-face, and very, very fitting for Brom Bones.

This little review is based on a bottle sniff only, I had limited skin space to test on and um there you are. :P

Indeed! Musk + leather = Brom Bones. That's it in a nutshell. This scent is simple, comforting, and exactly what it says it is. It's masculine and warm and simply lovely. I'm keeping the imp even though it's too masculine to wear, just because it's so damn yummy to smell!

in the bottle a little musky, a little leather-y, but something medicinal here that's unexpected and disturbing.

wet on skin band-aid. :P

dry on skin this goes very leather-y in the early drydown, then mellows out into something that smells a lot like mushrooms. much later, in the extreme drydown phase, it smells a lot like a mildewy saddle.

this makes me very sad, but i'm glad i got a chance to whiff it before buying a bottle.

Edited by ravenfeathers

I also don't find this too masculine; however since I will have sex with anyone or anything who dabs some on, I'm going to try to keep its availability in my area limited to my boyfriend. Testing kept me up late.

The leather is raw and kinda sweet, and the musk is smooth and kinda creamy. It's not at all over the top and I find it very wearable (but I only recommend it to you if you want to have sex with me).

I am testing Brom Bones on my husband. :P

In the vial: new leather jacket

Wet (on the man): leather and musk

Dry: there's a sharpness there with the musk and hint of leather. It smells like booze.

ETA - when fully dried down, it doesn't smell as good as in the imp - skin chemistry! Hubby says it smells like "locker room" on him. Yeah, not good. He agrees that it smells "nice" in the imp but bad on him.

Edited by girlygirl

I must not be able to smell musk!

In the bottle: LEATHER. mmm. This is (to me) fetish wear leather, rather than new car or saddle leather.

My boyfriend won't let me put it on him (pout) so I'll have to do a skin test later.. that's the problem with getting all of the halloweenies at once... and coming down with a cold at the same time. Only so much nose power and so much skin that I can reach with my nose...

straight sniff from imp is musky leather...

once applied this has a slight peppery quality...

this is a less invasive leather as with some of the labs other blends

containing this note...

mostly pure musky leather and quite butchy indeed...

Brom Bones is my kind of guy! I'd read the comparisons to De Sade and thought :P please no! because De Sade turned into old nasty plastic leather on me.

Brom didn't disappoint. In the bottle is a soft, gorgeous leather note. It's a new leather smell, a bit of a sharpness that must be the musk. Wonderful! I would compare it to Western Diamondback but without the sweetness of the Snake Oil.

On application: He never took off his leather jacket, staying sexy and leathery for a couple hours. Whoa baby I need more than one of him around because I think he's going to age into something rugged and handsome and will give my Western Diamondback a run for it's money. I will still use Western Diamondback, it's my comfort scent, but I can see myself hanging around Brom Bones quite a bit.

My first review ... can you see the V on my forehead?

Well, I should let you all know that I'm a big leather lover, that's my note, deep, sexy, smooth and rich. I can't get enough of it. That said ...

This one's a real winner. Like other have stated, this is a simple, but delicious combination of two scents that were made for each other. This is a seductive scent. The day it arrived, I wore it on a first date, and the guy I was with couldn't stop smelling my neck. Now that's sexy. The leather here is softened with musk, but after about 10 minutes, its straight up hide. I had this on one wrist and Quincey on the other and after about 30 minutes, they are nearly identical.

This is one that I'm gonna stock up on - amazing!

Edited by biz4brent

This is like the Bachelor's Dog's badass pitbull cousin. The musk in both seem identical, but the leather here is way more snarling. This almost has a cologne-y kind of vibe, then again it kind of doesn't. Very masculine, strong throw & long lasting.

Am I the only one that smells the cleanest, most refreshing musk ever? Or does anyone also smell water. Fresh Cool water. That's exactly what I get. Maybe it's the leather?? On me it smells like musk and fresh water over something warm. I have never smelled fresh leather, so I don't truly know. :D :D :P But I know this much...I will love this bottle till it's gone.... :D :D

Leather, cologne-y musk and...saffron? I would *swear* there was saffron in here.

Warm, delicious and *very* masculine.

Brom Bones smells better in the bottle than it does on me. In the bottle, it's sexy, dark leather, with almost a touch of spice to it. My skin chemistry sometimes warps leather scents into a smoky mess, like leather on fire. Brom Bones is insanely smoky on my skin, in a suffocating sort of way. It smells like black, new car leather, set on fire. This isn't even particularly masculine on me. It's sort of perfumey and warm.

I'll have to try this on my boy before it heads to my swap pile, but it's not something that I think I'll ever wear. I like a little more complexity to my leather blends, and a little less smoke (though the smokiness is more the fault of my skin chemistry, I think), lol.

Oh, lordy...I was thinking, "Eh, it's another leather and musk scent. I can skip that one and save my pocketbook at least a little pain."

And then I noticed the amazing powerful musky scent

...The scent of a man who knows that he can get away with anything. 'Nough said.

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, it doesn't actually last all that long on me. Maybe I can skip the bottle after all, but, I think I will enjoy snifffing the imp. mmmmmm.

I get musk and just a hint of leather from the imp.

Wet on the skin, it's new leather. Not broken in, not at all dirty, but clean, stiff, squeaking leather. I don't mind the smell of leather but I'm not sure if I need something that's this direct. Still, I'm willing to give it a shot and let it dry.

And I did, and oh man, this could have been a nice scent, particularly on a guy, but I didn't think it was bad on me. Until the headache kicked in. Something in this does not agree with me, and while I can see that it's pretty, I don't think I'm going to keep something that causes me pain. Pity.

Wet, it starts out smelling of dry leather before the musk comes out swinging and tried to force the leather into submission. The leather refuses to go quietly, and the two duke it out for a minute before falling into a passionate clinch that ends with a really nice melding of musk and leather with the leather just barely coming out on top. :P

In other words: I love it. *huffs wrist*

Why does this remind me of green tea?? This is a really fresh, clean musk. I was expecting Crowley + leather but this is a lot lighter and less, well, murky. And the leather smells kind of fresh itself. Really masculine but something you'd wear in the daytime rather than in the dark of night.

I was hoping this would be the same leather as my much-loved Quincey Morris - and it is! :P Perhaps a tad darker, with the musk - Brom's not the gentleman Quincey was; this boy's just pure rough and tumble leathery goodness. And the scent stays true and long lasting without ever being too overpowering - and a day later, I swear I can still smell it! This is one to stock up on for sure.

wow. this one almost works.....and it's so close to being *it* that it makes me sad.

it smells weird in the imp, like freshly curing leather, a little chemical-ly. once on that changes to beautiful sweet musks mixed with a brand new leather jacket smell. it's almost reached it's musky peak- then WHAM the leather comes back up and whacks me in the face. ouch, that wasn't nice!

the strong leather smell never goes away and i have to wash it off because it makes me a little ill.

i'm not giving up yet...going to try it on hubby and age it too, and see what happens. that all too short but delicious heavy musk is just too awesome to give up on.

I haven't done a review in ages, but this one has knocked me over. I expected the musks to be much heavier and in-your-face, but I swear there's some of my beloved skin musk in here. I don't know, maybe it's just an illusion from the high-pitch of the leather accord (a leather that dries down to absolute perfection, btw). Regardless, this blend is much more suave and subliminal than I expected - pheromone-like, really. Totally evocative of a man's man, but the kind who talks softly and carries a big...stick. yeah. Thumbs up.