Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
galleywest

A Blade of Grass

Autumn leaves scattered among blades of grass.

This was a bottle from my second BPAL order ever (2008 Halloweenies), and I'm surprised by it. When I tried it on back then, I remember thinking, "Yeah, smells like fresh-mowed grass," then there wasn't much more to say.

But since then I've learned that most grassy (hay, etc.) notes turn into something acrid and scorched on my skin. I came back to this fully expecting that to happen when I skin tested it today.

I got fresh-cut grass… that really stayed grassy. Indeed, at a couple points, this almost had a wildflower-like note to it. Very pleasant, very fresh, and it lasted for hours, eventually drying down to a "clean" scent.

I think this might be a nice one to layer with florals, to ground them or make them a little more casual… A really fun scent! I'm glad I tried it again.

Edited to add scent description. Edited by kjirstiben

The first word that comes to mind is "crisp." This scent is very clean, and very crisp, and more than a bit grassy. Nice, especially in the summer, but not exactly my thing because I need just a bit of sweetness.

Bottle: Very fresh cut grass.

Wet: Very fresh cut grass.

Drydown: Not quite pure grass. I guess it's the leaves cutting in, but it smells less like I just mowed the lawn and more like it's been a couple hours since my neighbor mowed his lawn.

Dry: And gone!

Would I ever wear this? Probably not.

My rating: 3/5

I love me some grassy scents and this is definitely one of those. In the bottle I smell fresh cut grass with a hint of what I suspect would be the leaves.

Unfortunately, most of Beth's grassy scents turn to pure soap on me. :(

So this one gets used in my scent locket or hair when I do wear it.

In the bottle: ripe fat leaves of grass. so green it makes me positively ache for summer! the more I sniff it, the more it smells like grass but a bit more as well. I assume that's the autumn leaves? it's not particularly autumnal though - it's definitely more like spring and summer than any other season.

On my skin: I pretty much smell like I rolled down a grassy hill and squished through piles of wet grass on the way down. I find it absolutely charming, but it really is pretty much one note. there's a little bit of crispness from the leaves, but it's largely just green green grass.

Last thoughts: such a perfect grass scent! it's refreshing and lovely and green and *sigh*. I just want summer already so I can go barefoot in the grass!

Very summery. Big huge green grass. After about an hour or so it's a lot softer and seems vaguely floral, sort of like a meadow. When it was wet it was pretty sharp.

OMG… This smells EXACTLY like fresh mown grass. Not the scent you get a waft of if you drive pass a fresh mowed lawn, but the scent of a handful of fresh cut grass pressed to my nose. A novelty scent, but not my thing.

A very nice lady (you know who you are! :wub2:) gave me this as a frimp in a swap.

Imp: Yep that's grass. Pretty fresh-cut summery green grass with a slightly aquatic/floral undertone. Not getting any of the smoky, dry wood smell that the Lab's dry leaf notes register as to my nose.

Wet: Grass. And just a bit of the interesting smoked wind smell of leaves. This one is actually quite reminiscent of November on me-- the grass note and the snow note clearly share some components.'

Dry: Cool wet fresh-cut grass and a tiny bit of autumn smoke. Lovely! Not something I'm compelled to seek out but I'm saving this baby for days when I miss spring.

I cannot say any more than has been said other than...

A Blade of Grass is the King of all Grass Scents. I am so, SO happy to have found it. Now I just need a whole bottle.

ITB: It does smell like dried Autumn leaves, cut grass, and something that's reading as green and bitter. It does remind me of a wet November morning.

Wet: As soon as it hits my skin, the scent gets more bitter, but that dies down within seconds to the cool sweetness of cut grass and the dry, papery tone of leaves.

Dry: The scent gets softer in tone and a bit duskier, but it is still clearly autumnal leaves and grass.

​This scent is all grass on me. It dries down to a light floral.

I may keep because it is so different. Definitely would not use it everyday.

Green grass, and light sweet florals. Jasmine maybe? A tiny bit of mint? Something sweet? It's really beautiful. I don't get the autumn leaves.

Just got this as a bonus in a lab order. The label is a lovely swirl of maple leaves on a breeze over a patch of grass.

In the bottle it is punishingly sharp and bitter, and I was prepared to dislike it because the Dead Leaves ™️scent note usually disagrees with my skin, but I wanted to give it a quick test anyway, just to be sure ...and it is actually kinda nice. It begins mostly grassy, and as it dries, it actually smells like leaves in the yard in Autumn. Agree that this could be a lovely layering option, there's a pleasing balance and softness to it that I haven't gotten from more recent dead leaves blends. A leaf I can live with!