Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
joseybird

White and "Light" Musk Recommendations

any more *white* musk recs? Oisin, Antique Lace, Fae, Zephyr, and Juliet are all on my ADORE :P list, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the white musk I'm having a wild, passionate love affair with :D

I think that Beth's white musk is really marvellous - it's got this effervescent quality that is very distinctive, and it doesn't dominate a blend like other musks can. Anyways, I can't remember if you've tried these or not, joseybird, so I'm throwing a bunch of suggestions out:

Black Pearl - :P

Embalming Fluid - Lots of people seem to love this scent. I don't just because my body chemistry likes to amp up lemon :D .

Endymion - Haven't tried it myself because it contains lily of the valley, but I've heard good things about it.

Katharina - If you can wear orange blossom, then give this one a try.

Kuang Shi - White sandalwood goes a bit too dry on my skin, but if it works for you, then this is a fun, fruity scent.

Oberon - I loved the opening of this scent, but it went too masculine in the end.

Whitechapel - I like the balance of citrus-y elements vs. white musk vs. lilac. Not overtly masculine, fairly gender neutral in my opinion.

Edited by tempete

I'd like to ask for some help with selecting a set of imps ears as a gift for a friend. She's an older lady who loves the good things in life: good food, good company, live theater, and lots of laughter. She was telling me that she hasn't found a perfume that she likes since her favorite -- a vanilla musk -- was discontinued. This made me think that a BPAL sampler would be the perfect gift. My problem? Musk usually makes me sick (although I can tolerate BPAL's), and I'm not wild about foody scents either. So I thought I would ask wiser heads which would be the best choices.

I've already gone through the recommendation lists for vanilla and white musk and compiled the following list: (My friend also said she doesn't like florals, but likes the idea of fruit.)

1. Antique Lace

2. Dragon's Milk

3. Dorian

4. Sudha Segara

5. O

6. Snake Oil

7. Hollywood Babylon

8. Black Pearl

9. Fae

10. Zephyr

11. Katharina

12. Endymion

13. Salome

14. Aglaea

15. Eclipse

16. Siren

17. White Rabbit

What would be your recommendations for vanilla & white musk & possible fruits?

I'm certain that Antique Lace and Dragon's Milk should be in my final cut, but I don't know which four of the others to pick. Your help and recommendations (including anything I may have neglected to list) would be much appreciated! (I would like to avoid L.E.'s, though, because ideally she should be able to easily acquire more of any scent she loves.)

Definately Dorian and Zephyr. Zephyr is soft and clean smell and not sweet at all (in case she doesn't go for sweet)

I second Dorian. It seems to be a vanilla/musk/(black tea, for me at least) smell that almost everyone loves. I think it's a safe bet.

I love Zephyr, myself, but I get more of a soft sandalwood/musk smell than a sweet smell. O, Antique Lace, and Snake Oil seem wildly popular, too, though I haven't tried them myself.

Your top six are great, even though Sudha Segera and O don't work on my.

For my own list I'd probably have:

1. Snake Oil

2. Antique Lace

3. Tamora

4. Black Pearl

5. Zephyr

6. Leanan Sidhe

Oro

Light white musk... two that haven't been mentioned yet:

Ode on Melancholy - Lavender and wisteria, heart-wrenching pale rose, desolate white sandalwood and thin, tear-streaked white musk.

Urania is great for white musk and moonflower (a sort of nighttime sky and white musk).

Vechernyaya was a lovely white musk on me, as was Zorya. Aeval's another nice one.

Unfortunately, my favorite white musks are LEs - Night's Pavilion and the Evening Star.

~Jen

Vechernyaya was a lovely white musk on me, as was Zorya. Aeval's another nice one.

Unfortunately, my favorite white musks are LEs - Night's Pavilion and the Evening Star.

~Jen

the evening star has musk? so light i couldn't tell!

I agree with you, light musks are gorgeous! It depends on what other notes you like with musk, but I've been especially pleased with Lady of Shalott, Black Pearl, and Black Moon.

I love white musk! For the GC, I'd second the rec for Whitechapel- it's gorgeous and citrussy and one of my all time favourites! Also, there's my current number one; Katharina. I can't believe nobody's mentioned her yet! Such a lovely blend.

Dorian is an incredible light musk, as well. Oh, and I also second the Lady of Shalott. Very pretty, evocative blend. Embalming Fluid is another really nice one, especially if you like tea.

Now I must find Night's Pavillion. And I really, really want to try Zephyr.

I can second the recommendation for Katharina: it's white musk with apricot and smells so lovely. The musk in it has quite a throw too.

Fae has white musk, and is overall a very bright white scent. Kind of mysterious and irridecent. (Hah - I just suggested Fae two threads in a row, how odd.)

Edited by Vampy

Second (or third?) the recommendation for Zephyr. Love that scent, a lemony-floral with white musk. I cried when one of the florals went out of control with my chemistry. :D

Also, it's not *white* musk, but I found Kindly Moon, which has blue musk, to be totally gorgeous and light-musky -- might be worth trying if you can snag a decant. :P

Does anyone have any recommendations for musks similar to the musk in Vasakasajja? I'd love a (much) less fruity Vasakasajja. But the only oil listed with skin musk is Bengal, and I'm worried about the honey (it tends to go weird on me).

I tend to amp patchouli and rose, and have to avoid most foody (and booze) scents (they make me sick).

Help?

Eos and La Petite Mort would be my two suggestions ... mostly Eos because it's just yummy.

Dreamland is also nice, if you can get it, though that might be too floral for your tastes.

Good luck! :P

Dreamland, The Brides of Dracula and Buck Moon (sorry about the all LE thing). Buck Moon would probably be the hardest to score.

I haven't tried La Petite Mort yet, and I love skin musk. I will have to check that one out.