Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
joseybird

White and "Light" Musk Recommendations

Add another vote for Brides of Dracula, which shouldn't be too hard to find -- it's floating around. I tried Les Bijoux and it was like a fruitier Brides on me. I like Brides much better but YMMV :P

Can anyone describe skin musk to me? I love Vasakasajja, but I'm not sure what it is that I love in it. lol

I'm honestly not quite that sure how to describe it. It's the musk that's left on my arm after about 8-12 hours of wearing Vasakasajja. Once all the fruit has worn off and it just smells like really yummy skin.

Can anyone describe skin musk to me? I love Vasakasajja, but I'm not sure what it is that I love in it. lol

I'll take a shot at it. :P It's a musk, but not a heavy scent like a red or black musk ... it has a lot in common with a white musk for me. It's light and clean and fresh. But it has that 'fresh-washed skin' scent to it, for me. For me, it's this hint of musky warmth that is just light and sparkling and gives the perfume a spring/summer feel to it for me.

Okay, that went well. Did that clear up anything at all? *grins*

Rivki, I think you might like Zephyr also. It's a light musk scent with a touch of vanilla and citrus. The musk isn't heavy at all, and it doesn't smell foody or floral either. And it's in the GC, always a bonus.

This is probably a skin chemistry thing, but there is a huge difference to me between skin musk and white musk. White musk is clean, but it's a little sharp, and dries down to something vaguely masculine on me.

Skin musk is hard to describe, but it's warmer, sweeter and softer. It does kind of smell like sugared sex once it dries down. It's very subtle and round (don't know what I mean by round, exactly - maybe that it has depth?). And there is sort of an airy, ethereal element to it at the same time. That confusing litany is all I've got :P

But all I really know is that skin musk, I love...white musk, not so much.

Skin musk is hard to describe, but it's warmer, sweeter and softer. It does kind of smell like sugared sex once it dries down.

*giggles to herself* That's a fair description of what I get from skin musk, but I also get a very similar thing from white musk ... Which makes me happy because I'd be rather sad if white musk had any sharpness to it.

I just wish that there were more BPAL blends with the skin musk in. :P

Thanks for the help on describing it guys! I think I will try to buy decants of everything with similar notes in Vasakasajja starting with some of the skin musk ones that have been suggested in this thread!

Vote three for Brides of Dracula! Its a nice floral skin musk. The florals aren't overwhelming and the musk is apparent throught the entire life of the perfume without being too heady. I like it as a spring scent. And I've noticed you can find it on ebay on a regular basis.

I used to wear "Skin musk" and Brides definitly has that scent.

I am in LOVE with honey musk, but I've only found three BPAL blends with it; The Illustrated Woman, Lady Una & Freak Show. Does anyone know if there's more I'm missing?

Since BPAL musks are bouquets and not "real" musks from animals, and because Beth uses poetic license on occasion when writing descriptions... it could be that she is using a specific single note bouquet that she's developed that she has named honey musk in those blends. But there's also a possibility that she may be using that term to describe an overall sweet musky feel that is intended from the scent, and that they contain a musk and a honey note. This made me think that you might want to try some blends that have honey and musk in them to see if you get a similar feel on your skin - maybe skipping the ones that definitely are using a musk that has an identifiable "character" like red musk but trying some that seem to have a lighter feel. (The Illustrated Woman lists "skin musk" and "golden honey" separately, now that I happened to go back and read the description, so maybe my theory will find you another favorite or two!)

Here are some candidates:

Les Bijoux - Skin musk and honey, blood-red rose, orange blossom, white peach, red apple, frankincense and myrrh.

Aghrat-Bat-Mahlat - Amber, cream accord, white honey, apple blossom, skin musk, caramel, and teak.

Skuld - Ylang ylang, honey, Egyptian and Arabian musks and labdanum.

Anactoria - Golden amber, white honey, red currant, daemonorops, kush, and Arabian musk.

Harikata - Osmanthus, honey, golden musk, vanilla flower, and ginger.

Brides of Dracula - Skin musk, honey and white amber, plum blossom, osmanthus, sandalwood, calla lily, and a light, sensual blend of Eastern spices.

Bilquis - Honey, myrrh, lily of the valley, rose otto, fig leaf, almond, ambrette, red apple, and warm musk.

Judith & Holofernes - Skin musk, honey, carnation, French magnolia, patchouli, sandalwood, and immortelle.

Schlafende Bagneuse - Skin musk, white cream, honeycomb, yellow rose, King mandarin, chrysanthemum, golden amber, honeysuckle, and wide-throated yellow monkey-flower accord. (This is a GORGEOUS blend for anyone who hasn't tried it :P )

The Penitent Magdalen - Immortelle, lily of the valley, gaiac, amber, honey, white sandalwood, almond flower, blonde musk, and hyssop.

Bengal - Skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.

(a mod note - I may merge this in w/the musks thread after it gets some responses, &/or I may end up splitting the musk thread up a bit into light, dark, etc. So if anyone is having trouble finding a topic all of a sudden, just drop me a PM and I will find it for you!)

Thanks ivyandpeony, I wasn't sure if I should post this under musks so I just started a new thread.

The only ones I've tried from your list are Anactoria (fresh it was too sharp on me, but maybe I should try it again now that's it had time to age), Bengal (didn't work to well 'cuz I really amp cinnamon) & Judith & Holofornes which I adore!

I'm definitely going to try Les Bijoux, Aghrat-Bat-Mahlat, Bilquis, Schlafende Bagneuse & Harikata. :P

Edited by black*cat

But there's also a possibility that she may be using that term to describe an overall sweet musky feel that is intended from the scent, and that they contain a musk and a honey note.

I loooove Sed Non Satiata, which has honey and musk. Even if you're leery of patchouli give it a shot, I'm not a big patch fan myself.

I love patchouli, so honey, musk & pachouli together sounds wonderful although the tuberose scares me a little.

i love honey musk too...whatever it is...i actually think you perhaps should try pepper...it's very honey in the way that bengal is, but not the same type of pepper/cinnamon smell...and honey mone which is honey and a little deeper as well...

(a mod note - I may merge this in w/the musks thread after it gets some responses, &/or I may end up splitting the musk thread up a bit into light, dark, etc. So if anyone is having trouble finding a topic all of a sudden, just drop me a PM and I will find it for you!)

remember when I said this a while back? I have split up the big ole musk thread a little bit. We've got this one to discuss white and lighter musks, red musk now has its very own thread and the original one is still there to discuss the differences between all the types the Lab uses. There weren't enough individual posts about dark & animalic musks there to split into a topic about that subject alone - if someone needs recommendations for those specifically, it's a topic that can be established.

Looking for the closest to white Musk single note that is out there -- whats the strongest white musk bpal you've tried? Id rather go floral than fruity or citrusy. Maybe what I dont want is lemon, as Im wearing Alien Invasion now and rather enjoying it.

Edited by CaudaPavonis

I love any white musk perfumes and was wondering what oils smelled predominantly of it?So far the strongest I have found is Lurid :D

Whitechapel and Phobos are citrusy white musk; Whitechapel is the softer feeling scent of the two.

Katharina is a fruity floral white musk.

I amp white musk in about everything but Embalming Fluid (which leads me to believe there's very little in there), so those come across as pretty much pure white musk on me after the top notes burn off.

I'll echo the mention of Phobos. It's a very citrus start that fades to basically white musk. It's a new fav, actually.