Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
plumlicorice

Does BPAL stain?

i just spilled my imp's ear of glitter all over my favorite light pink shirt... damnit!!! do you think i will stain permanantly? i'm such a moronic buffoon today. tripping over my own feet and everything. :D i went into the bathroom and scrubbed myself but it didn't work. now it looks like someone either peed on me or i got into a fight with a bottle of musturd. has anyone else ever gotten one of the yellowish colored oils on themselves and caused a nasty stain? any advice on how to get it out...? :P

hmm, I haven't washed a fragrance stain with it, yet, but Bi-O-Kleen Bac-Out Stain & Odor Eliminator (available at Whole Foods) works wonders for me at times. Hope someone else has a better solution!

Anything oily comes out with Lestoil. It smells nasty, but it should save your favorite shirt. Apply directly to stain and add some to the wash tub and wash on a stain cycle with the hottest water suitable for the fabric. Good Luck!

Something to soak up the oil quickly - talcum powder. It's a bit late now maybe though, it's a do-it-when-it-happens thing. It might be worth a try if you've got it to hand. It's the same principle that supermarkets use when somebody (like me :P ) smashes a bottle of olive oil and gets in the way while she apologises profusely.. They soak it up with cat litter.

I second the Dawn, but I personally pre-treat tons of stains (thanks to two kids) with Zout and it almost always gets everything out...it works especially great on oily stains.

regulat old softsoap usually does the trick, the yellowy orange kind...just dab it on the oil spot and scrub gently with a scrub brusg and wash the oil is no longer there.

good luck

miranda

when i cant get it out with soap, i use a little dawn dishwashing soap and a little pine sol that usually works,

Ah...this is very good to know! I have countless shirts that have little oil stains on the front from me trying to scent the cleavage with my shirt already on....you'd think I'd learn my lesson one day.

Put baby powder (or talcum powder, or even loose makeup powder) on an oil stain to absorb it out of the fabric. I've used it on three BPAL oil stains, two of which were pretty serious. I cover the stain, leave the powder on for 24 hours, and then stick the clothing in the wash. It really works wonders!

I know how strange this sounds.. but do BPAL oils ever do anything weird to fabric?

...because every day I'll put on a cotton tank under everything, and I wand some O about 2-3 inches below the collarbone. Then I rub the shirt into my upper chest and the scent lasts up to 36 hours (I was surprised it lasted so long and reapply about every one or two days!) (The best thing about it IMHO is, only I can smell it)

Frankly, I'm not concerned about stains because all my shirts are black or hunter green.... but since BPAL oils are organic, will they do anything weird to natural fibers?

Anais

I've been wearing BPAL for about 2 months and pretty much wear nothing but natural fibers - I haven't noticed any stains, spots or other effects anywhere. I may not deliberately rub my clothing with BPAL or on my BPAL-scented skin like you do - but I do make little sprays with a lot of mine, and when I am doing my laundry I can definitely smell the perfume on my clothes. So I know BPAL oils are getting all over them.

My guess would be: as long as you do your laundry or have items cleaned within a reasonable time, take extra care with light colors or delicate fabrics like silk, watch out for dragon's blood blends or other dark colored ones that might be unusually prone to staining, and take care not to get a large amount in a concentrated area (i.e. a big ole grease spot) - you shouldn't have to worry any more than you would about your previous mass market fragrances. But I would love to hear from those who have been BPALlies for longer times, or (dare we dream) the ultimate goddess Beth if she ever gets a chance to take a breather from work!

WD40! ~This also works very well on oil stains. Just spray it on, let it sit and then put it in the wash. *gone* :P

No problem, although there was another one I was thinking of. ::shrugs:: Goo Gone has worked well for me to get hair gel out of clothing, as well as chocolate syrup out of a white shirt. :P

For stains of all sorts (food, blood, oil, etcetera), I use Dr. Bronner's Hemp Lavender soap. I fill a sink with warm(ish) water, put a few squirts of soap in, and let the whole mix soak for a few hours...with fresh stains, it doesn't even require scrubbing!

The only thing I *can't* use this method for is dryclean only fabrics, and even then I sometimes do anyway...:P

All very helpful- I have a certain pale blue linen blouse that has some distinct yellowy-orange snake oil stains on the cuffs. :P

Not about staining *clothing*, but has anyone found a successful remedy for oil that stains your skin besides (obviously) wearing it somewhere besides your skin? I'm pale as death so I end up with unattractively brown-stained wrists with BPAL often. Even some oils that start out clear dry to a yellow at some point :P

I have no idea if this wil work on oil, but apparently hydrogen peroxide *dissolves* dried blood, really fizzy and mad-scientist-like (I was shown this by an ER nurse who was stitching up my hand, but I imagine it'd work for "other sorts" of bloodstains that women get- ahem).

So anyway, since BPAL is organic, perhaps hydrogen peroxide will dissolve it off clothes too?

-Rae

I have no idea if this wil work on oil, but apparently hydrogen peroxide *dissolves* dried blood, really fizzy and mad-scientist-like (I was shown this by an ER nurse who was stitching up my hand, but I imagine it'd work for "other sorts" of bloodstains that women get- ahem).

So anyway, since BPAL is organic, perhaps hydrogen peroxide will dissolve it off clothes too?

-Rae

Actually, I had some Snake Oil stain a white t-shirt of mine once. And I used hydrogen peroxide. It took it right out. I had surgery this past summer, and unfoturnatly, healing included some bleeding... and so I had the HP down in the laundry room already. It does work wonder on blood stains.

So, here's me saying... HP worked for me. It got the Snake Oil stain out of my shirt :P All I did was soak the area of the shirt that was stained in the HP for about 10 minutes, then I washed it as normal.

-Leslie

One of my new beautiful scents has dyed my wrist bright bruised skin yellow.

Does anyone have any clue as to the culprit.

It could be Phobos or a lightly musky chaos theory.

What note might cause this?

I look like I've been beaten.