Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gogo

Red Musk

Thanatopsis it is! This is awesome, usually my specific scent quests lead me on frustrating journeys into the sales forum for long gone LEs. It's never a GC!

*joins the red musk love fest and necro bumps the thread*

Mmmmm.....i fell in love via Mircalla, then Scherezade. Midnight Kiss is also incredibly luscious.

On my need to try list: Grindhouse, Marianne, Krampus, and maybe Spellbound (rose and i aren't usually friends, but its red musk!)

Sin, Vixen, Lust, and now... Lust V7! Holy crab cakes Lust V7 is made of swoon!!!! :thud: Too bad it's hard to find... it's worth hoarding.

kabuki!

it is the one scent, the one scent, that i wear that makes my husband spontaneously comment: "mmmmm... you smell sexy."

how could i not love such a scent?

kabuki!

it is the one scent, the one scent, that i wear that makes my husband spontaneously comment: "mmmmm... you smell sexy."

how could i not love such a scent?

You know, I have to throw in another :yum: for Kabuki. It's strange, because I usually hate anise or licorice. And yet... Kabuki is so compelling! One of the best red musk blends I've tried... the combination of notes is just pitch perfect.

Edited by tajana

Anyone want to chime in on whether or not Hunger has red musk? Something about it (other than just the vanilla) is quite Snake Oil-esque to me, so i'm wondering if there might be some red musk lingering in there.

And thanks to those of you who keep recommending Kabuki, i've been avoiding that one because the cherry note scares the crap out of me, but now i really want to try it!

Umm, imo Hunger has no red musk at all, it is a rather straight up fruity-orangy orange blossom with vanilla and a floral touch from the narcissus. Now I seriously miss my imp! But really, I don't think it has any phantom red musk but that does not stop it from being a gorgeous scent.

Edited by ImperatrixMundi

The first red musk/jasmine blend that springs to mind is Giallo: opopponax, black plum, night-blooming jasmine, benzoin, red musk, violet leaf, orange blossom, mimosa, mandarin, smoky vanilla, tobacco, patchouli, and black amber. No sandalwood and retail only so you might want to check the swaps forum for a decant before nabbing a bottle.

Current Lupercalia LE Picture Books and Pleasure Toys might be a good blend to try: Pink rose, red musk, red sandalwood, oakmoss, vetiver, nectarine, black tea, ambrette, jasmine, and blackcurrant bud.

There are no red musk/jasmine blends in the GC as far as I know but there are a few red musk/sandalwood blends:

Fenris Wolf Diabolus Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

Himerus Excolo juniper, sandalwood, rosewood, red musk, orchid, bergamot and lilac.

I love this one. The juniper rounds it out nicely and gives it a bit of bite against the other, more buttery ingredients.

The Dodo Mad Tea Party Red musk, lemon peel, sugar cane, cassia, white sandalwood, mango, and agarwood

To my nose this all fruity red musk and cassia. You may fare differently.

And There Was a Great Cry in Egypt The Salon Dark myrrh, white sandalwood, amber, hyssop, frankincense, honey, cypress, red musk, cardamom and saffron.

This is unimpable so you may want to check the forums.

If you want a scent that combines the three notes you might want to try layering them. Scherezade is a great scent for red musk and New Orleans is a perfect honeysuckle-jasmine. I can't think of a blend close to single note sandalwood at the moment (Anne Bonny, maybe?) but if Picture Books and Pleasure Toys isn't your style, layering allows you to control exactly how much you want of each blend in your perfume.

i love himerus, not on myself but on my husband. whatever his skin chemistry does to it, it smells incredible.

Does the red musk in Smut age well? Because fresh Smut is faint...and dies on my skin...but when wet....it's just gorgeous. :yum:

Does the red musk in Smut age well? Because fresh Smut is faint...and dies on my skin...but when wet....it's just gorgeous. :yum:

YES. I had a bottle of Smut from 2007, I think, that I did end up swapping away because it's just not my kind of scent, but as it ages it is just DIVINE.

Looking for some red musk recommendations please. :wub2:

Favorites: Smut, Lucy Kissed, and Mania.

Himerus is one of those red musk scents that work on me if I can make it pass the dry down. Even then, the juniper and sandalwood make it too sharp and masculine sometimes.

Red musk blends that don't work for me: Mme. Moriarty, Witchblade, and VILF.

Are there any other blends that are like my favorites?

I definitely plan on trying Infernal Lover and maybe Muilearteach (but the black musk/snow note makes me pause).

Edited by bluerose

Looking for some red musk recommendations please. :wub2:

Favorites: Smut, Lucy Kissed, and Mania.

Himerus is one of those red musk scents that work on me if I can make it pass the dry down. Even then, the juniper and sandalwood make it too sharp and masculine sometimes.

Red musk blends that don't work for me: Mme. Moriarty, Witchblade, and VILF.

Are there any other blends that are like my favorites?

I definitely plan on trying Infernal Lover and maybe Muilearteach (but the black musk/snow note makes me pause).

Try The Grindhouse and Scherezade- both are available from the lab now. Also see if you can track down Marianne or Mircalla. And definitely give The Infernal Lover a go.

Thanks! I'm hesitant to try Grindhouse and Mircalla because it's been grouped as being in the same family as Mme. Moriarty. (So sad that it didn't work on me. All the notes should've been winners on my skin, but when I put it on, something went horribly wrong.) Scherezade has been on my to try list.

Mmmmm.... Your review of Infernal Lover is making me itch for my Lab order, sunlitgarden. :yum:

I'm not a fan of red musk at all. I mean at all! When my old roommates would burn candles with it or wear perfumes with it I wold get nauseous. But...I love love love love Spellbound. It's not too heavy on the red musk because of the roses. It's the dark jezebel and jezebel is the sweet spellbound...At least on my skin. But love love love Spellbound! i feel sexy when I wear it and it doesn't make me nauseous.

The first red musk to really stand up and talk to me has been Lucy Kissed. And now she is all gone. Any recommendations?

Can anyone suggest anything that may have red musk and cocoa/chocolate in the one scent? Or perhaps something with a similar sort of feel, or something that reminds you of the two? Any type of cocoa/chocolate will do. Thanks.

Midnight Kiss! It's my favorite (or at least, one of my big favorites). It's red musk + cocoa+ plus a few other things -- http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/shojobeat.html

MIDNIGHT KISS

Eternal desire, unquenchable passion: red musk, cocoa absolute, Nepalese amber, red sandalwood, aged patchouli, nicotiana, and blood wine.

Edited to add: I would not have tried it if I'd known the notes ahead of time because amber never works on me, but if you are a person with amber troubles, this one is different. At least, it was for me.

Edited by EmpressPixie

My first thought for cocoa + red musk was the LE Midnight Kiss, with notes of red musk, cocoa absolute, Nepalese amber, red sandalwood, aged patchouli, nicotiana, and blood wine. I think that it might still be available?

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/shojobeat.html

There's Pomegranate IV available now with pomegranate, cognac, red musk, cocoa, tobacco, anise, and thyme.

Countess Willie has notes of chocolate plum musk, red musk, amaretto, candied fruits, and red ginger.

Thanks for your replies so far. LOL, just so happens I've tried all those and hadn't realised that they have that combo. Pom IV is utter fail on me, you can't imagine how bad it is. I took a chance on it as it has so many awesome notes listed, but pomegranate is such a fickle thing on my skin. Too much pom in something and it turns horribly rancid and sour. I might give it some time though and try again.

Midnight Kiss I had a very long time ago (well, when it came out). I remember disliking it immensely back then because it was too girly sweet on me. But I also disliked Smut and Mme Moriarty at the time too (a pom containing blend that does work), for being way too potent and strong, but I adore those type of things now. Aging may have given it a previously unseen depth too.

Countess Willie is an awesome suggestion as I already adore her. Not as heavy on the red musk and chocolate as I'm after, but she's dead sexy.

Hmm.. I would have suggested Midnight Kiss too. And I completely agree about Countess Willie - she is lovely. I'm guessing you've tried Black Temple Burlesque Troupe already - that's a nice musk + chocolate, although black rather than red musk.

Apart from those already suggested, I can't think of anything that's quite what you're looking for. Have you tried layering something chocolatey with a red musk blend? Something like Infernal Lover might make a good base, or if you can find the prototypes BB2 or BB3 - they were very strong on the red musk for me. Oh.. and Cerberus - that has musk and chocolate, amongst other things - on me it's like a musky/incense-y dark chocolate.. it might be worth a try for you.

As a side note, I'm disappointed to hear that Pom IV was a fail for you, knowing you love cognac, I haven't received mine yet but I have high hopes that it will be a winner!!

My first suggestions would be Midnight Kiss and Countess Willie. Aside from that, as someone else also suggested, layering might be a good option. The Infernal Lover layered with Black Temple Burlesque Troupe is wonderful. And if you have any 13 blends that are chocolate heavy they'd probably be yummy layered with The Infernal Lover.