Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wren08

Bleeding Heart

I wish I was not the first person to review this blend... I am not as good at picking out notes and giving detailed reviews as others on the forum but I will do my level best.

I received this imp as part of a swap and I had never heard of it... the lab and lovely forumites confirm that it is an unreleased blend...but I hope they release it soon! It's quite lovely and the first of the Rappaccini's Garden blends that really works on me. (I'm guessing at it's destination upon release, I don't know it)

In the imp and upon initial application, it's very strong and more like a traditional perfume than most blends... although without the alcohol that now makes wearing mainstream perfume almost impossible. I get a hint of something reminiscent of O and a hint of something similar to Formula 54. It's a floral... white floral and greens... herbal without being spicy.

Upon drydown, it mellows into a more plant like scent. The floral recedes a bit and the green plants become more prominent. It's very warm, fresh and spring-like.

I can't identify the floral... perhaps lily of the valley or gardenia... perhaps a bit of both.

It lasts well and drew two compliments from family members... unusual in my family... although 80s opines that the imp smells like Ivory Soap. I do not get any soap note and he did not think it smelled soapy on me, only in the imp.

While I like this blend very well and would keep it if it were not unreleased, I'm going to pass it on and let others test it and hope the lab releases it soon!

edited for spelling

Edited by Wren08

I recieved this imp from a wonderful & unbelievably generous forumite :P My mother has grown bleeding hearts in every single garden we've ever had, and now I have one in my garden, so it's a sentimental flower for me...

In the vial & wet, Bleeding Heart's a very classic white floral - not too sharp, with a fresh wash of green stems underneath. It's worth noting that I normally can't wear anything remotely close to "classic white floral", so Beth's clearly using something different to get this effect... paperwhites, maybe, and freesia, very pure & clean. I totally understand the Ivory reference that Wren's relative noticed - there's that faintly-detergent-like note lurking around the edges. But there's something else in here... I almost want to say honey, the same clear white honey from the Oblation... sweet, but not foody or cloying, like honeysuckle nectar or hummingbird food :D Drying down, this sweetness really comes to the fore, and the white petal note just flutters around the edges. All the initial sharp greeness is totally gone, leaving an absolutely gorgeous scent, close to the skin but occasionally wafting across the room.

This is Grace Kelley, on the morning of her wedding to the Prince of Monaco. She's in her slip, taking a private moment to sip some tea & enjoy the morning sun filtering through the open window. She pauses to caress a vase of white flowers on her vanity, the spring air gently shifting her hair...

WOW, and wow again. I feel so fortunate to have been able to try this. It will be passed along in the same spirit in which it was given, and I will quietly pine for the day that Bleeding Heart blooms for the masses :D

I really enjoy this blend - it's a white floral, perhaps there is a touch of freesia to it, and I agree with the honey, but it's the sweet, hummingbird type. Not cloying or sexual. Just sweet.

This entire blend is a nice white floral, slightly juicy, very fragrant, very innocent. I think this would be very appropriate for a young girl.

And I'll definitely get an imp or maybe even a bottle of this. I quite enjoy it.

I received a sniffie of this rarity from :ninja: tartchef because she is awesomesauce with multicoloured sprinkles on top :wub2:

Sniffing from the imp (not testable) this is a wonderful white floral, of the *good* kind. I can't say if these are "bleeding hearts" that I'm sniffing because we don't have them here. I would dare say it's a bit gardenia-like with a hint of "green" underneath.

It's an unmistakably feminine, frilly, girly, joyous scent. I would imagine Scarlett o'Hara smelling like this, in her youth, before the war and her marriages :)

This is really good and if ever released, bottle-worthy.

Thank you tartchef for giving me the chance to sniff that beauty!

Edited by ifinena

(puddin sent me an imp with my ebay winnings)

imp: very faint, feminine florals.

wet: this smells like the best kind of watery scent with the best kind of floral scent. light and sweet... clear, smooth and clean.

dry: normally i don't care for floral scents so this is a rare exception. this would be perfect for a fresh spring day, a day with nothing at all to do except wander and dream.

Wet: Strong white floral. Can't quite pin it down as I tend to stay away from florals (so many of them go wrong on me), but I KNOW this scent! It is very familiar, I just can't place it. There IS a sweetness, but not from honey or freesia.

Dry: doesn't change much, just toned down a little and a little of that same sweet green/wateryness that I get from Olokun comes out.

I Love this scent :lovestruck: . So many florals go so very very wrong on me so I tend to stay away from them. THIS ONE, I would buy a bottle of. I've never gotten compliments from a floral perfume. Smokey, spicy, woody; yes. But never a floral... until now.

Admittedly, it does smell a little old fashioned. Like something my grandmother would wear, but the old lady had excellent taste and I think she would have liked this. I certainly do.

Beth... when are you going to get around to releasing this one? Soon? Please? :beg: :beg: :beg: - with a :cookie: on top? I've only got the one little imp... how can you possibly expect me to make it last all summer long? Or longer? :eek:

Bleeding Heart

On: Metallic and a bit sour with something a bit sweet underneath. Maybe some herbs or flowers, too.

1.5 hours in: Still metallic, but floral, too. Sharp.

7.5 hours in: A soft, sweet floral.

Overall: This is pretty after it dies, but not really me.

I received this as a frimp from Puddin in my eBay package.

It's a watery, green floral, but I'm not a fan of those so I can't really pick out the notes.

In bottle: Richly and complexly floral. I don’t know the scent of bleeding hearts, so I can’t tell you how close this is, but it’s certainly unusual and lovely. If you like hyacinths and lilies, you very well might like this, as it has a similar feel, though is different than both. Wet: slightly lress lush, and is now making me think a little of hibiscus, though it’s still more like the love child of hyacinths and lilies. I’m not big on florals on my skin, but I would love to have this in a window box and even my skin chemistry can’t ruin it, so I’m sure it would be glorious on someone with copecetic skin. Dry: Significantly less fun as it separates out, and I start picking up the underlying medium. It’s still interesting, but less naturalistic.

This has a bit of that green, herby, dill-like rose geranium note that I enjoy in Kostnice. The drydown is like a big, creamy, damp white floral (gardenia? lotus?) with hints of dill and rose geranium (sadly, the green/herby parts only last for the first fifteen minutes or so). I'm just guessing at the notes, of course, and I'm not the best with picking out floral notes. It's creamy, delicately sweet, slightly perfumey, slightly soapy, white smelling floral. Reminds me of Marc Jacobs' Blush.

After a half hour, this smells like a floral, clean laundry sort of scent. Soapy floral.

Edited by Little Bird

thank you puddin' for the frimp! :wub2:

in the imp, this smells watery and florally, as others have mentioned. definitely a light, bright floral...nothing too sexy.

i dabbed a tiny bit on my skin and i am getting - unmistakably - the scent of honesuckle...or at least the way my nose interprets honeysuckle. after a little while the initial sweetness/honeyness wears off and i'm left with a light green floral that stays pretty close to the skin. it's delightful, but not quite enough to convince me that i should be wearing a floral. ;)

Sweet, pretty floral - lovely, in fact! Almost lemony.

On drydown it's definitely a white floral (Bleeding Heart flowers, which grow in my garden, are actually shocking pink and white) - slightly soapy, but nice soap. It's not your usual floral blend. It's a very classical perfume that would fit a formal occasion.

This was a fun frimp to get. Thanks, Puddin'!