Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Wildbriar

Anything that smells like silage?

My dear Hubby, a Minnesota farm-boy absolutely loves the smell of silage and made a request for a perfume for me that would be similar. I actually like the smell as well. If anyone isn't sure what I'm talking about its a very sweet, fermenting corn smell. Actually, the closest I've tried so far is Hay Moon which, while it doesn't have that fermenting note, does smell farm-ish and he likes it muchly.

I knew this Halloween update sounded like you! (Though I hadn't thought that so much about these two until now.)

John Barleycorn- Barley, beer, blood, and whiskey, barley instead of corn, but as long as its not too bloody it might be just the thing

Gunpowder- Carrot peelings, hay, chaff, molasses, maple oats, red apples, stable wood, and musk I think carrots smell like silage so unless I'm crazy on that (perfectly possible) this might be fabulous for him

How about...

The Scarecrow: An agricultural gargoyle. Though he is the Guardian of the Crops and Keeper of the Fields, his visage is still the stuff of nightmares. The

scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, barren fields.

Roadhouse also sprang into my mind, although I'm not quite sure if it's what you're after:

Truck stop sleaze. Weedy dandelion and hops with a whiff of tobacco and hemp and a swirl of booziness.

I'm thinking that the hemp and dandelion might provide a hayish scent, and the hops and booziness might offer the fermentation your after?

Just a thought :P

I grew up around farms myself, so I know exactly what smell you're talking about! :P

I have Hay Moon, and you're right, it's sort of there, but it's more dried-out sileage, wafting on the breeze, to me. It is missing the fermented tang and sweetness of up-close sileage.

I'm with Ahania, high hopes for Gunpowder, and possibly John Barleycorn, too! Hmmm, maybe a layering of both? Drunken Horse scent? Fermenting Stable? :D

I grew up in the south, so this is a smell I don't know! We did have hay fields and peach orchards, but not a lot of corn :P

Since I am on unfamiliar turf here, you midwesterners can tell me if what this member was looking for sounds similar? The Scent of a Ripe Cornfield Would they be similar enough that I could make them into one topic... Midwestern Memories or something? (Not that this one is a dupe, but if the scents are similar, I can put all the pertinent search terms in the title and the relevant blends will all be in one topic.)

When I tested John Barleycorn at Will Call, I didn't smell any of the blood. It was a moister smell than Hay moon, with more fermentation implied in the scent, but, there's no corn there. It's definitely a possible, though, and I think there may be decant circles still available for the scent, if you want to try a small bit rather than a bottle.

Gunpowder is another possible, but, I didn't get a chance to test that one, and, I don't know how much apple there is in it.

You might keep a lookout for the chaos theories on the swaps pages. I know of a few that were reviewed as smelling like either sweet popcorn, or creamed corn.

For General Catalog, maybe Dana O'Shee? I haven't tried it yet, but, it has milk, honey and sweet grains.

I grew up in the south, so this is a smell I don't know! We did have hay fields and peach orchards, but not a lot of corn :P

Since I am on unfamiliar turf here, you midwesterners can tell me if what this member was looking for sounds similar? The Scent of a Ripe Cornfield Would they be similar enough that I could make them into one topic... Midwestern Memories or something? (Not that this one is a dupe, but if the scents are similar, I can put all the pertinent search terms in the title and the relevant blends will all be in one topic.)

How about Agricultural Scents?

The two scents are kind of different, to my nose. Cornfield is sweet corn, and green stalks, and sun-kissed, with some dry earth to it, to me. But they're both corn.

And actually, I'm from the Northeast, but there is farm country here, too. Or at least there WAS!

And actually, I'm from the Northeast, but there is farm country here, too. Or at least there WAS!

It's funny how most people think of New York State as an industrial metropolis all over, when most of the state is ... farmland. Following the Thruway? Buffalo, cows, Rochester, cows, Syracuse, cows, Utica, cows, Albany, cows, Poughkeepsie... okay, more like mountains and river there, and then you get NYC. But there's a whoooole lotta farm country.

That said, I'm not sure myself what silage smells like from experience - because, you know, cows.

It's funny how most people think of New York State as an industrial metropolis all over, when most of the state is ... farmland. Following the Thruway? Buffalo, cows, Rochester, cows, Syracuse, cows, Utica, cows, Albany, cows, Poughkeepsie... okay, more like mountains and river there, and then you get NYC. But there's a whoooole lotta farm country.

That said, I'm not sure myself what silage smells like from experience - because, you know, cows.

Cows eat silage... :P

How about Agricultural Scents?

The two scents are kind of different, to my nose. Cornfield is sweet corn, and green stalks, and sun-kissed, with some dry earth to it, to me. But they're both corn.

I agree with IronMollyBlack, I live in the middle of Illinois so I know my corn. :P Fresh cornfields are sweet & green, dry fields are warm husks with dusty dirt (my favorite!), fermented corn can smell like manure if left around too long, but fresh silage is extremely sweet & slightly yeasty.

I think a Farm Memories thread would be lovely. I grew up in the city but a lot of my family are farmers. Hay and grass scents make me sneeze, but I'd enjoy just reading the thread. :P

Well it sounds like I'm on the right track with the decant circles I've joined for the Autumn and Sleepy Hollow scents, yay!! John Barleycorn did sound promising, thought the blood note worried me. I'm glad to hear its not strong, it may just be perfect.

I'll have to make sure I get an imp of Dana o'Shee, it sounds like it might be right up our alley.

Thanks y'all!

We have silage in the south, too. I grew up on a dairy farm and we cut our own. I can't remember any BPAL's with that scent, but Bezoar was a wonderful hot dry hay scent to me if you're into that.

Gunpowder- Carrot peelings, hay, chaff, molasses, maple oats, red apples, stable wood, and musk I think carrots smell like silage so unless I'm crazy on that (perfectly possible) this might be fabulous for him

When I first saw this one in the update, I was like, "Oh, Beth, I guess we have to let you throw a few crazy ones in there," :D then the more I thought about it, the more I HAD TO TRY IT. I really like that herbal carroty quality that I can pick up in last year's Virgo blend, I love the scent of the hay absolute Beth's been playing with. And then I thought about the combination of the molasses and maple oats and red apples and I just went cuckoo from there.

I didn't grow up riding, I have probably ridden a horse 3X in my adult life, but my best friend from college is a lifelong rider (and her mom as well) and the smell of a (relatively clean) barn is just lovely to me. (Once I read that a horse produces 25 pounds of manure per day on average, I kind of stopped thinking I wanted to live in the country and have a bunch of horses, though. :P )

When I first saw this one in the update, I was like, "Oh, Beth, I guess we have to let you throw a few crazy ones in there," :D then the more I thought about it, the more I HAD TO TRY IT. I really like that herbal carroty quality that I can pick up in last year's Virgo blend, I love the scent of the hay absolute Beth's been playing with. And then I thought about the combination of the molasses and maple oats and red apples and I just went cuckoo from there.

I didn't grow up riding, I have probably ridden a horse 3X in my adult life, but my best friend from college is a lifelong rider (and her mom as well) and the smell of a (relatively clean) barn is just lovely to me. (Once I read that a horse produces 25 pounds of manure per day on average, I kind of stopped thinking I wanted to live in the country and have a bunch of horses, though. :P )

I don't think I have a clue what silage smells like, but fresh horse feed smells SO GOOD (which I'm hoping is what will come of the combo of molasses, maple oats, and hay in Gunpowder). It's sweet and tangy and a little oat-y (powdery?), and I want to roll around in it.

I don't think I have a clue what silage smells like, but fresh horse feed smells SO GOOD (which I'm hoping is what will come of the combo of molasses, maple oats, and hay in Gunpowder). It's sweet and tangy and a little oat-y (powdery?), and I want to roll around in it.

Actually, the smell of horsefeed isn't too dissimilar from fresh silage (not up close but on the air). I'm looking forward to my decants of both Gunpowder and John Barleycorn, may be winners there! I actually love the taste and smell of fresh, farm-grown carrots. They have a very spicy flavor that you don't get from those anemic baby carrots in grocery stores, and I can see how that would translate well to a fragrance.

Gunpowder is definitely a possible. The grain used is oats, but, with the carrots and molasses and such it might be close. The apples didn't stick around long on my skin, which made me sad since I liked them more than most apples in blends so far.

Actually, the smell of horsefeed isn't too dissimilar from fresh silage (not up close but on the air). I'm looking forward to my decants of both Gunpowder and John Barleycorn, may be winners there! I actually love the taste and smell of fresh, farm-grown carrots. They have a very spicy flavor that you don't get from those anemic baby carrots in grocery stores, and I can see how that would translate well to a fragrance.

Ahhhhhh, fresh REAL carrots with DIRT still on them! Rinse them off with the hose and eat. You are right, they are so very different from what you get in the supermarket! You have me craving them now! I wish I could grow them here, but my soil has too much clay, they need a looser/sandier soil to do well... :P

Sign in to follow this