Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Springtime scents

Another vote for Sea of Glass. I think that any of the delicate floral blends would also be great - Pele, Eos, some of the Illyria blends (Juliet, Desdemona, Ophelia, etc.).

Kumiho and Shanghai seem more summer than spring to me, for some reason.

Since I'm in the deep south and spring is rather like summer at times, my opinion may be a bit skewed...but Old New Orleans smells like spring to me (probably cause I don't libe that far from it), as does Dragon's Tears (def. early spring); I'd also say Ophelia- because it's so light. Oh yeah- Queen Mab (mmm)

I absolutely agree on Envy- I wore it today and decided that it was definitely a spring scent. The now-discontinued Banshee also screams springtime to me, as does Empyreal Mist.

Thanks to this thread I am thinking of buying bottles of several scents unsniffed, to get in time for the first tender buds of spring. I'm thinking of Envy, Phantasm, Baobahn Sith and Szepasszony (it's too late at night for me to check the spelling but I think I got it right...)...thinking of upgrading to a bottle of Shanghai....definitely need to buy a vat of Dublin.

The description of Amsterdam cries out to me with spring and I feel like I want to try that, too. Does anyone find that to be springy? (I see that adjective come up a lot in the reviews for this one!) This is all a big change from my usual wallowing in dark scents but I desperately want some fresh, GREEN smells for those first days in spring. Grassy, herbal, tea, lime, etc. I might go mad if I don't get some.

Anyway, I should write up what I have to trade and post this in "Wanted" or "Swaps"....but yeah, thanks to these suggestions I definitely have an agenda for the spring! :P

Edited by sarada

I think Desdemona and Juliet really deserve mentions here too. They both feel like spring to me (like early May).

If it's been mentioned then I'm seconding. Chiroptera is *springtime* captured in a vial. I can't even believe how sunny, warm, fresh and lovely it is. Wow.

Since I'm in the deep south and spring is rather like summer at times, my opinion may be a bit skewed...but Old New Orleans smells like spring to me (probably cause I don't libe that far from it), as does Dragon's Tears (def. early spring); I'd also say Ophelia- because it's so light.  Oh yeah- Queen Mab (mmm)

New Orleans smells exactly like spring to me, because it smells like a mix of Honeysuckle and Spanish Broom, which is very spring in New Mexico. I plan on wearing it a lot this spring and summer.

Other springy blends that come to mind....Eos, Chiroptera, Belle Epoque, Saint Germain, Lady of Shallot....and I'm sure many more.

Now for warmer weather to come so I can use my own suggestions!

The Truffula Trees!

The bright-colored tufts of the Truffula Trees!

Mile after mile in the fresh morning breeze.

~~Dr. Seuss~~

Unless you're a total devotee of only the Dark Side of BPAL perfumes, I suspect that most all of us have at least one favorite scent that epitomizes the freshness of Spring. What are your favorite fresh blends, and why? Something young and green? A touch of floral sweetness? Maybe a dewy, watery note? Which scents say "Spring" to you?

Mine:

Szepasszony: White flowers after a heavy rain.

Desdemona: One of my most beloved of Beth's oils...I just love the sweet pea in it.

Belladonna: Powdery green coolness.

Kostnice: Childhood memories of Easter.

Oberon: Has a note of fresh grass.

Amsterdam: Probably the freshest BPAL floral scent I've tried yet.

Amsterdam: Probably the freshest BPAL floral scent I've tried yet.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about Amsterdam.

Also:

Apocathery: Lush fig uplifted by green and herbal freshness.

Dirty: Clean linen and plumeria.

Fae: Ethereal, effervescent peachiness.

Tenochtitlan: A light, golden amber that is enlivened by green and herbal notes.

Edited by tempete

my favorite fresh BPAL scents are titania, ophelia, and the star. i should really get on the ball about ordering the last two before spring is OFFICIALLY here..

I recently discovered Endymion, that seems like a lovely spring scent to me. I want to get a bottle of it in my next order. I was surprised I liked it since I usually can't do fruits but the d'anjou pear is not really sweet at all, it seems to lend a crispness to the scent. The first imp of Hemlock I got was a prototype - that was the perfect spring scent, really green without the pinesol of the one that was released. Absinthe is another lovely spring/summer scent, green but a little exotic with the spices.

I'm more on the dark scent side, but the ones I see myself wearing lots this spring are Eos and Villain.....need to pick up a bottle of Eos. Oh, and New Orleans. I'm trying Dirty right now as I type, and as long as it lasts on me, I think it'll be lovely for spring, as well!

The only "fresh" scent that I've tried and loved is Shanghai...but I have a bunch on the way so hopefully I won't have a "winner by default" for long :P

Shanghai is a lovely fresh scent. I love the tea and honeysuckle, very light.

Envy is another great fresh scent. Mint, lime and herbs, it just screams cool green freshness.

The Dormouse is another tea blend. It has a lovely peony note and just beautiful. Soft and fresh

Chiroptera is another lovely spring blend. Sweetly floral, with a hint of lemon. I have a 5ml on the way.

Edited by Dianella

I'm not a "fresh" scent-wearer at all. I like everything a little sugary. Alice is very nice for springtime, though. Pretty bright candy flowers.

I love Tiger Lily! I'd have to say that that's my favorite springy scent right now, as it's one of the only florals I can wear that doesn't go powdery or soapy or sour. I also like New Orleans and Roadhouse, but those remind me more of summer than spring.

Of course, this is coming from someone who's much more of an autumn/winter scent person.

Desdemona

Ophelia

The White Rabbit

The Dormouse

The Cheshire Cat

Queen of Diamonds

The Unicorn

Sudha Segara

The Apothecary

Embalming Fluid

Some of those might not be seen as 'fresh' by others, but I definately see them as light spring daytime scents and I've worn a few of them last week at work.

Amsterdam:  Probably the freshest BPAL floral scent I've tried yet.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about Amsterdam.

Yup, I sniffed Amsterdam today courtesy of purely_cosmetic and it really is incredibly evocative of Spring. :P

I also think that White Rabbit is very Spring-like, although I don't actually enjoy it myself.

I notice that a lot of scents I like, though not all by any means, fall into this category. Even so, it is a hard quality to define! My list would be:

Eos (I sniffed the imp but am still holding out on trying it until Easter)

The Hermit

The World

The Star

Apothecary

Old Dublin

Dana O'Shee

Sea Of Glass

Maiden

Desdemona

Undertow

Sudha Segara

Ultra Violet

Edited by Falathwen

All my Spring scents lack seriously in florals (flowers = pollen = sneezy, so I avoid).

Neo-Tokyo

Embalming Fluid

Shanghai

Storm Moon (I associate rainstorms with Spring.)

Phantom Queen has a very sweet-green-clean smell to me, reminds me of the trees in late spring, when they are just beginning to look alive again. I could see one wearing Morgause as a spring night-time scent, it's just "cool" enough to be great for spring.

But, I'm going to be wearing A LOT of Bathsheba and Dana O'Shee. I really prefer (especially when it warms up a bit) to wear things that stick close to the skin. Both of these are so warm and light and don't overwhelm.

It says a lot about my preferences that my favourite 'springy' scent has Dragon's Blood in it. But I think Dragon's Eye is a beautiful fresh floral, and I can see myself wearing it a lot in the next few months. I also love Zombi for its clear sharp note that cuts through the dirt.

ETA: oh yeah! Wings of Azrael's a fresh one for me! I may be alone in this, but I get a celery note in it! Perfect for picnics in the park (before the wasps arrive)! :P

Edited by Dolly Dimple