Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
purplekylie22

Morning Sickness

Depends on how sick you get. When I have morning sickness (3 kids) NOTHING worked. But then, I was severely sick requiring meds and rehydration.

Normally though when I'm not feeling well, citrus or mints help. Can't do anything too strang or sweet (or very foody).

I cannot recommend Kumiho enough - clean, crisp & light, with no problematic ozone or florals... I wore Sudha Segara a lot pre- & post-partum - it's warmer, but still very light & easy to manage. Citrus made me squicky, so I can't really recommend anything there - mint & green tea could help ease the quease, as it were... perhaps Gennivre, Shanghai, Green Tree Viper, maybe the Apothecary. F5 would be fantastic - it's easy enough to find in the swaps pages.

A really dry, light incense might - MIGHT - be wearable for you - I'm thinking Cathedral or Sri Lanka, just a dab. I wore both after the first trimester, and they were light enough to be doable, but made a welcome change from the really fresh & clean stuff I'd been wearing.

Congratulations! :P

I cannae speak directly to morning sickness, having never had, but during a bout of stomach flu a TEENSY bit of Bezoar was comforting (I feel like I am pimping this scent EVERYWHERE, but it really did work...) Ginger and cardamom are supposed to be good for queasiness along with citrus and mint, so spice blends might be OK in really limited quantities not to overwhelm?

I've always heard that ginger was effective, so that suggests: Sudha Segara, Kumiho, maybe the Apothecary, and maybe Mag Mell

These are all very light scents on me, and have a significant ginger smell to them.

Possibly Harikata - though I haven't actually tried that one to know for sure

Ginger only works against nausea when it's ingested. You might find the smell helps a little but if you want the proper therapeutic effects you need to eat candied ginger, drink ginger tea or ginger beer.

For ginger tea just peel a little fresh ginger and chop it up as coarsely or finely as you like, put about a table spoon of ginger in a mug along with one or two tea spoons of honey (Or to taste) top it with boiling water and stir to dissolve the honey and sip once it cools down. Make tea 2+ times a day and you can eat the ginger from the tea as well.

But for smell, peppermint is best to ease the stomach.

Mmm. Ginger tea. I was going to suggest ginger stuff too. If you cant be bugged to chop up fresh ginger when you dont feel so well - asian foodstores often carry instant ginger tea that is good against nausea too, just take one without added sugar or creamer if you want to try it out because the sugared one are horribly sweet most of the time.

YMMV, but I've found that wearing spicy foody scents (jack, gluttony, etc) in the morning make me feel queasy until they settle down, so I would anti-recommend them when you're already suffering from morning sickness.

Can't speak to scents but to stave off morning sickness in general, make sure you keep a little something on your stomach all the time. I kept crackers by my bed so that immediately on wakening I could eat a couple. It really helped. Ginger beer helps too; make sure it's REAL ginger beer or ale, not the commercial stuff. I recommend Reed's Jamaican, or Ginger People. Ginger People also makes a ginger candy that is helpful. Good luck and congrats!

For tips beyond BPAL-fueled aromatherapy, you definitely should hit up the pregnancy thread over in Get Personal - you should find a lot of experienced moms there who have been through morning sickness. (I am glad it's been established that ginger needs to be ingested to be effective; however, any additional tips on eating or other remedies really belong over there as well, to keep this thread on topic.)

I haven't dealt with morning sickness myself, but when I am nauseated or vomiting there's not much beyond those old remedies of time, getting out what's making me sick, &/or Phenergan, that really make me feel any better. Even smelling the most refreshing or minty things can push me over the edge again. Due to the heightened sense of smell during pregnancy, I know a lot of my friends have been super sensitive to smell. It may just be that you need to avoid perfumes until your nose calms down... and every woman will be different, too.

:P Hope you are already feeling better since you posted, purplekylie!

Sign in to follow this