Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pekeana

Nine Mysteries

no mystery here - it smells like mint to me (hate mint, maybe that's why it's all i can smell at first). I don't get any florals, but i do get a light touch of fruit (maybe pear and plum) but the mint is dominant throught. the mixture reminds me a little bit of Spooky actually ...

In Bottle: Minty and fruity

On Skin: Peppermint right away, very crisp and clears my sinuses. I get the after-dinner-mint thing too. There seems to be a tart citrus note as well, but it's in the backgound and very light, but it ads to the clean and sharp feel of this scent. This is so interesting! This is a scent that really wakes me up and invigorates. It is also a bit sweet. I get a soft floral, nothing sickly sweet or cloying at all. After the scent develops, I get a very light lilac or violet note that other people on the forum have mentioned as well. It’s not really my kind of scent, but I’d love to use it as aromatherapy because it really does pep me up and clear my sinuses. Throw is strong, wear length is average.

Nine Mysteries - This blend doesn't have the sharp tangy mint scent of Tulzscha or Ultraviolet. Rather, it's the sweet, candy-type mint that is contained in Lick It. However, it's still mint, which means that neither my skin nor my nose like it. I don't keep any blends that have the remotest trace of mint in them. However, underneath this top note of mint is the surprisingly deep and dark floral scent of violet! This is so similar to Ultraviolet, and yet completely different at the same time. I love violet, and it makes me rethink this blend a bit. In the end, I have decided that this is the best mint scent I have tried, but the fact remains that it's still mint, which means it will be leaving my hands soon. I just can't do it. The throw is light, and the lasting power is poor (only an hour or so), and it leaves my skin feeling tingly and cold where I applied it direc tly!

This smells like peppermint. It's nice but I'm already pretty sure I won't wear it for perfume. The peppermint continues on my skin, although according to my mother it smells like spearmint. As it dries down, I can start to smell both of those mints. My nose feels chilly from where I've pressed it into my arm. I may use up my imp surviving the New Orleans summer.

In the imp: Mint! Oof!

Wet: still minty, but florals are peeking through.

Dry: Mint is still there, but there's something darker, as well, and I can detect some lotus, but no violet.

Overall? Eh, I'll try it again, but I'm not holding out high hopes.

Mmm.. peppermint candy. It softens on the drydown and I can just make out a slight floral note lurking under the mintiness. Is that even a word? Er.. Anyway. It's pretty unique and I found it kinda uplifting. It's almost like an aromatherapy blend as opposed to a perfume, but this gets a thumbs up anyway. :P

This is a gentle mint, but mint nonetheless. There is a floral touch to it and this hint of citrusy floral in there. It is indeed myserious... but it is just too much mint for me. It is not the mint of ultraviolet though, in my opinion, it is more like Lick It and Spooky.

got an imp of this from jocosa...thanks!

this is the first bpal oil i've ever used that gave me a skin reaction. my skin feels tingly and actually COOL, i'm assuming because of the mint. i have an imp of lick it that i've been saving for christmas, but i'm sure that i will recognize the mint in that blend as the same in nine mysteries. i have been really intrigued by the morphing of this one, from OMG MINT to hints of citrus, ginger, and violet? i think it smells interesting, but the boyfriend test seems to have failed...he claims my hand smells like medicine or disinfectant. not exactly the response i was looking for :P

i'm on the fence with this one. i love the freshness of it, i may wear it as i would normally instead of just a wrist test next time.

In the Imp (wet): This is another warm one. This has a sharper attack, which I think is mint. It reminds me of Vicks Vaporub and hits the nose in the same way. But there's a note that brings to mind the thick juicy citrus fruits hidding just behind that.

On facial cotton (dry): Really interesting. It smells so different from the imp. A heavy fruity note is taking lead, which sinks in 10 mins to reveal a much lighter refreshing fruit. Certainly not what I was expecting.

On me: Starts off with the mintiness, but isn't as bitingly sharp as in the imp. It smells really crisp instead, and that ebbs down in about 3 minutes to begin the juicy notes and a tiny hint of (maybe) lavendar. It's actually quite yummy and I'm tempted to bite my own arm off now. I think this will be a great scent when in need a pick-me-up.

To me, this is strangely both cool and dusty, like mint tangled up with a hay harvest. It smells like the Fool to me, and like something else that I for some reason associate specifically with pennyroyal - though now that I'm thinking about it, I have absolutely no idea why this is. My head just says so. It's probably wrong, though!

There's something a little fruity underneath that comes out as the oil dries, maybe a faint citrus? But that cool, up-the-nose minty note still dominates. I might be getting a hint of some other herbs - maybe rosemary? - in the background, but that might just be wishful thinking! :P

Edited by bookandbroom

This was definitely minty at the beginning! Yeah! But as it dries, the mint became more herbal (I think it might have been rosemary) and now it's like a citrusy floral soap. Very pretty.

But I was definitely going for the mint. And that burned off as it dried. Sad. :P

Sniffed: Light yellow oil. Peppermint, catnip, and other herbs. A little sweet, a little mentholic, and fairly medicinal. Makes me think of TALs.

Wet: Bitter, more green - definitely heavier on the catnip than the peppermint, and there may be pennyroyal in here too. It's harsh mintiness. Possibly even a little eucalyptus, because I get the Vicks effect beyond typical mints.

Dry: I think this must have pennyroyal in it, a nemesis note of mine, because this is amping out of control, and smelling like an evil minty toiler cleaner, complete with slightly soapy edge.

Summary: It won't wash off, though lots of scrubbing has led to the emergence of a grassy note, and some cucumber - but there's still too much revolting vaguely soapy mint. Almost powdery. Maliciously strong throw & longevity.

:ack:

Edited by fairnymph

I've had this in my imp box for a looooong time, just sitting there waiting for me to write a review.

It smells like nose-tingling mint, and some kind of floral. Slightly menthol-like. I'm not good enough at picking out floral notes to be able to guess what that note is, but it kinda smells like lilac to me.

I'm not a mint fan, and I meant to move this imp along a long time ago. I'm sure someone would be pleased to have this.

Received as a frimp from the Lab...

all I can say is EEEek and iick..

I dont get anything soft, gentle or pleasant. On my skin it smells exactly like the wintergreen toilet bowl cleaner I used to use.

Has a background that wants to come through - upon dry-down its a soapy, coconuty, incense - too sweet - and the 1st 15 minutes made me hate it.

In the imp: Mint leaf, or mint plus leaves. 

On my skin:

Definitely peppermint plus a leaf type of note. As it immediately dries, it goes more into peppermint candy. It actually feels cooling on my skin, like I often get with peppermint scents. After about twenty minutes, it's now just about pure peppermint oil (of the kind I use for aromatherapy). 

Once more than an hour as passed, there's a throw to Nine Mysteries that is lightly floral, but the skin scent is still all cool peppermint. Gradually, the floral does increase. It's hard to pin down since the peppermint is also still quite present, so it's sort of interfering. I don't get anything overly sweet, but it's airy, and almost... resinous? At least, it reminds me of the throw I get from frankincense, even if I can't identify that note in there. 

Now... lavender? And powder? 

At 90 minutes, it's predominantly powder with a little lavender. Any hint of mint is now gone. 

This is strange and not for me. 

Mint is one component I avoid, and it's the dominant ingredient here.  Wet, Nine Mysteries is peppermint and maybe something else with a medicinal edge like eucalyptus (another death note).  Menthol.  This is obviously not in my wheelhouse -- it might be ok for a wake-up shower gel or aromatherapy but not something I would wear as perfume.  Swap.