Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Sturgeon Moon

Sandy shores and sweet fresh water, lichen, green algae, and whitestem pondweed, with benzoin, cyclamen, moonlit musk, cucumber, blue poppy, and agave.

Sturgeon moon strikes me with images and colors, more than with the anyway lovely notes. I have the violet light of the green algae and the cyclamen, the green of the cucumber, the agave and lichens, and of course the blue of the poppy. the watery notes are of a lovely trasparent light green, fresh and protective. It`s like to be on the shore of the lake and underwater at the same time. a lovely, fresh and slightly sweet experience. Edited by Shollin
Added scent description

In the bottle: fresh water lake, cucumber

Wet: lichen, algae, bright florals delicately sweetened with agave

Dry: Crisp green of the cucumber mingled with sweet florals and lovely lunar herbs. The musk is very light and airy. Very invigorating! The algae and lichen remind me of grassy shorelines and the smell after a dip in a lake. Lively blue/green colors.

Usually I am drawn to darker aquatics, but this will fill the bill on a any sweltering hot day. A little goes a long way on me...clean and refreshing.

:P

Sturgeon Moon is a lovely, fresh, herbaceous aquatic. Wet the cucumber is the stongest note with a darker bitterness underneath that smells of some kind of herby weed whose name I don't know. Dry on my skin this is ozone-y and fresh. Beth's description was right on, this scent brings me right back to the Summer I spent on the shore of Lake Superior and the incredible fogs that would literally roll in off the lake. Sturgeon Moon is the sacred Lake after an invigorating thunderstorm.

:P This one!!

Green greeny greeny green. Cucumber - fresh cucumbers, cool blue waters, a powdery floral... A more complex version of Demeter Fragrances' Wet Garden.

Very pretty. Refreshing, summery, and wet.

This is so fresh and clean, i love it. perfect for our hot sweltering southern days. on wet it smells sweet cucumbers. dry it calmes down and more aquatic notes peek out. this really does remind me of being near the water.

I love aquatics, and I love green scents. Holiday Moon is my favorite, and I've worn Squirting Cucumber and Garden Path with Chickens. To me this is almost entirely aquatic -- I don't get any of the overwhelming greeny cucumberyness that others are reporting.

It's long-wearing on my skin, and for most of that time it's a sweet, freshwater scent, like a more flowery Olokun. There's the barest hint of saltwater. Wet, I actually do get a bit of something I'd call the Sturgeon... it's not a dockside, fishy, mackrel-sushi smell, just something indefinable that makes me think a lolfish was just there and tagged my hand with "Sturgeon wuz hear".

My very favorite part is that the drydown is entirely consistent, with none of the slightly musty, too-sweet powder that other aquatics get when they lose their, pardon the pun, freshness. At night I sleep with my hands tucked under my pillow, right at nose level, and Sturgeon Moon was a pleasure to go to sleep to.

It's also something entirely wearable in 102F (38.8C) sunlight, and I can count on one hand the number of scents that's true of.

Gets a five :P rating from me!

In Bottle: green seaweed

Wet: Sweet water and honey dew melon. This is a nice aquatic that does not have the salty undercurrent that many do. It is very fresh and cool. I have tried just about every aquatic that Bpal makes and I think this is going to be my 2nd favorite.

In the bottle, this reminds me a little of seaweed - a slightly salty green aquatic scent, but more like an idealized version than what seaweed actually smells like. On my skin, it smells much the same way when wet, but when it dries down it switches back and forth from that beautiful salty aquatic to a sweet herbal melon scent, and back again. I'm not sure why or how it's doing the scent switch, but I absolutely love it.

Sturgeon Moon - I had really hoped this would smell similar to Blue Moon 2004 or to TAL Temple: Celtic or maybe even something like Aeaea. I had hoped it would be soft, clear, clean, subtle, and watery. It's not. It's incredibly green and grassy and highly astringent. It's one of the more bitter, pungent BPAL blends I've encountered and I could hardly stand to smell it in the bottle, much less put it on my skin. But I did screw up the courage to try a touch of it on my skin and it was an unpleasant experience at best. I can't identify any of the individual notes. It's just all heavy and pungent greenness and I am looking forward to getting rid of my bottle.

In the bottle, Sturgeon Moon smells fascinating. It smells swamp-y, sort of reminiscent of Bayou, but it's not as hot or sharp as Bayou is to me. Bayou has hot florals where this has green, watery plants. It's grassy, watery, fresh, and with a bit of swamp-dirtiness.

On me, this pitches into a dryer sheet frenzy for about 15 minutes. For a while, the other notes try to save the blend, and it's like dryer sheets that are watery on the edges, sweet, and a bit green. The longer it's on my skin, the more aquatic it becomes and it starts to give me a vicious headache. It's too sharp and soapy-fresh.

I think I'll keep my bottle for the label art, but the oil is a headache for me.

First Sniff: Cucumber Mojito's.

On Skin: Yep, sweet cucumber mojito's. For some reason, I feel it to be more airy, than aquatic.

Sturgeon Moon is definitely green, and moonlit musk combined with agave, gives this green aqautic a sweet, musky but airy tone to it.

Drydown: The pondweed, lichen and algae are stepping out and the sweetness of agave is toning down. In the background the cucumber and bezoin are playing quietly. It is light scent, but lasts a good while on my skin.

Final Thoughts: Stunning. I wish I had this to wear at the start of summer. Soothing, relaxing, and beautifully done.

I usually love aquatics. Usually.

In the decant: Soap.

Wet: Soap.

Dries to: that floral soap you find in hotel bathrooms. Something I generally avoid smelling like, since it gives me an awful headache. It's just like someone dragged a bar of that soap across me or something. :P Not a keeper.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Seawater!

Preconceived notions/pre-review thoughts: SM didn't really appeal to me, but how could I not at least try it?

In the imp: Sweet-and-salty sea water and cucumber.

On skin, wet: Watery, salty, but surprisingly lovely cucumber. It's sweeter than I'd anticipated, but I'm not complaining. It's not musky at all to me.

On skin, dry: Bitter, salty seawater and strong, perfumey cucumber. It's much cleaner than I'd expected: for some reason, I had imagined SM would be salty and fish-like. :P

Conclusion: SM is definitely the salty, bitter cousin of Blue Moon 2004. If it were just a bit less salty, I think I could adore and stockpile this, but since it's not, I'm glad I didn't grab a bottle.

Very very light, green and aquatic. This is very blended, and is sort of a generalized "water" scent on me. I can pick out the light musk note as well as the cucumber, but the rest is rather vague florals. It's very innocent smelling, feminine and reminiscent of youth. Not a lot of throw, you have to be close up to smell it.

I am just not into the aquatics, so this is not the moon for me.

In the bottle: poppy and agave, plus an aquatic note.

Wet: mmm, salted cucumbers.

Drydown: poppy and cucumbers, with a bitter lichen note.

A nice cooldown scent for hot summer nights. Glad I sprang for a bottle.

I wanted cucumber love. Instead, I got Irish Spring. Very fresh and clean. SAAD.

ETA: The prototype feels like a very distinct aquatic. On wet, I got a hint of bubblegum so there is some lotus on this, as it dries, it goes to dryer sheets as opposed to Irish Spring. In fact, it sort of makes me think of Snuggles, as opposed to Bounce dryer sheets.

Edited by zankoku_zen

I really wanted to like this. For the most part, it's cool and refreshing -- very evocative of a lake. But there is something in here that is just too bitter (it almost smells like BO), which makes the first half hour of this not very pleasant. I like mossy, pond-y things, so this was a disappointment. I'm that the bitter note will leave with some aging.

3/5

Sturgeon Moon 2008

In the Bottle:

Clean water with a single white bloom

On my Skin, Wet:

SWEET WATER! amazing! Beth is truly an artist!

This sweet water has a pale green impression to me, and is rimmed with a single white bloom, very faint, but just enough to give it s little dimension.

On my Skin, Dry:

GLOWING sweet water - it's a beautiful bright day, where all the colors are paler from the immense white light, and I'm sitting next to THE cleanest little pond in existance!

A gentle breeze takes the scent of the pond and it's tiny white flowers to me and I take a deep breath and just feel refreshed!

Verdict:

incapsulated imagery!

this is the most amazingly evocative scent in my collection - I adore it!

10 of 10 ranking!

I live in Evanston next to Chicago and my school is right on the lake, so how could I resist Sturgeon Moon? This is a wonderful aquatic! I've been let down by many of the aquatic blends, but this smells like my first aquatic BPAL love, Calico Jack. On the plus side, my husband doesn't think this one is a dead ringer for his Grandma's perfume like he does with Jack (Yes!). He does however think it smells like generic old woman perfume, but it's baby steps with hubby and the BPAL so I chalk Sturgeon up as a win :P It's so sweet, cool and lovely I can't wait for the summer months. I agree with the review that this is what I'd been hoping for with Pisces.

Sturgeon Moon

In the bottle: whoa, this is very, very aquatic. With a hint of floral cucumber.

Wet on skin: now something aggressively green seems to be rising out of the watery notes!

Dry on skin: this is really odd. It smells like a green salad on me now. Not just because of the cucumber, but something in here smells like red cabbage or lettuce, and also rocket. Fresh and green and salad-like (almost like Virgo 07), and also very wet, the greenery smells watery, and there are aquatic notes surrounding the greenery. I even smell that hint of sand. There’s also a very weedy scent, like dandelion. I also smell a hint of floral and some moss too.

After a while: the scent smoothes a little. It still smells very very green, now less like salad and more like wet weeds (there’s definitely a feel of pondweed to this) and lichen. Unfortunately it seems the watery notes are now turning a little too soapy for my likings, because I get this washing powder scent appearing now.

Sadly this then turns to a green-leafy soap scent. I think the aquatic, or cucumber, maybe even the agave note, has backfired on me.

Verdict: this was strange on me. normally I tend to fare better with freshwater aquatics than with marine ones. It started promisingly with it’s scent of greenery and water, almost like a cucumber and lettuce salad mixed with outdoorsy green notes like weeds and reeds, and a little hint of lapping water on the shore of a lake. Then the pondweed scent gets stronger, and then it turns to soap. I never get plum or benzoin, or even musk, from this. The aquatic notes seem to be turning too clean for my likings. Though, after trying Mictecacihuatl, a totally different scent which had a similar soapy reaction on me, I wonder if it’s the agave that’s going wrong. The good thing is that this scent doesn’t smell like sturgeon (or caviar) on me at all! I just wish it kept the lake shore with greenery scent I got at the start.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Singing Moon, Virgo 07, Mictecacihuatl

I decided tried this before realizing I'm not so fond of fresh/aquatic. I'm unfamiliar with many of the notes so I'm giving a general... vague impression?

Lotsa water, just as promised. Very sweet without any foody connotations or a sugary texture, and there's a neat salty tang that I haven't smelled elsewhere.

I wore this a couple days during the sweltering heat of August and September, and it was quite cooling and refreshing, though decidedly not "me." It stands out pretty well, if memory serves.

After hanging onto my skin for a while it begins to resemble soap or shower gel, as clean notes are want to do. Oh well.

The design on the label is awesome.

Decant: aquatic cucumber and cyclamen

Wet on Me: mmmmmm still aquatic cucumber with hints of the cyclamen

Drying Down: wonderfully aquatic cucumber with lite whispers of floral and musk

Dry: still aquatic Cucumber with light whispers of floral and musk This is the love. May have to seek out bottle form on this.

I bought this new, because it was a glorious aquatic & reminded me of the harbor & kelp. It sincerely smelled like ventura harbor both in the bottle & on. Now, after aging, it's a bit different. Not bad, but different

In the bottle: Faintly sweet aquatic notes. A bit of cucumber & maybe underripe melon. There's something very herby going on here. Stinging green.

Wet: The green gets more tame, but still very green. A bit of salt tang hits the aquatic notes

Drydown: The green is mixed with floral- the nose itchy poppy note (it's not a bad itch- really!). The cucumber & underripe melon battle a bit, then both fade to almost nothing- the aquatic is left at tang & a bitter mossy note.

Aftermath: See above, but in fainter & fainter nosefuls :)

It's very nice. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it though. Maybe I'll swap it.

In the decant: some sweetness, something a tad spicy (very mild though), and water underneath all

Wet: like fresh water over rocks (the sandy shores?) in the shadows of a little stream high in the mountains, just after the snow-melt (that's the benzoin)

The dry-down: the musk and all the plants are showing up now, a lovely green scent, a little sweet and a touch spicy at the same time. Look, there's the cucumber!

Cool-feeling on the wrist. That would be great when it's hot outside. Very soft, and I have to put my nose to wrist to smell it at all.

Nothing fishy about this, just the smell of the cool waters as it passes over all those other plants as the moon rises.

Edited to add this: I'm getting a slight touch of the salty air that others have mentioned. And this lovely oil is fading away.

Edited by thekittenkat