Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Sturgeon Moon

A month of bounty, when the fish are plentiful and the corn grows high. This is the scent of breezes passing over the Great Lakes, mingling gently with traditional lunar herbs.

Sandy shores and sweet fresh water, lichen, green algae, and whitestem pondweed, with benzoin, cyclamen, moonlit musk, cucumber, blue poppy, and agave.

bottle: a very, very sweet green scent. this is much more fresh water feeling than aquatic. probably the cucumber.

wet: this reminds me a bit of both green phoenix and garden path with chickens. it has that same sweet, grassy scent.

dry: the grassy feel/scent fades quickly but the overall green feel remains. a surprisingly long weartime on my skin. Edited by hkhm

Sturgeon moon is a very sweet, lovely aquatic. I definitely smell the agave plant's sweet nectar. Definitely no tequila notes, just the light "green" sugary smell. I use agave nectar all the time in my tea so I definitely recognize the scent. :P

Definitely fresh cucumber there, too. The Lab's "aquatic note" is there too, obviously, but this does not smell like a man's cologne. It's fresh and clean, but also sweet and green, too. Very much like the sweet breeze off of a green, murky lake.

Edited by thelaurenator

in bottle: very watery, sweet- definitely a freshwater smell. very strong. it does not smell like a lake full of sturgeon (this is a good thing!)... maybe a pretty, idealized painting of a lake, with grassy shores and sunny skies. not my experience of the great lakes, but very pleasant.

on skin, wet: very sweet and green. crushed flowers and stems. still very strong! it smells more 'perfumey' because of the musk, i think. not sure if this is a 'me' scent.

dry: same sweet, watery green scent over VERY powdery musk (dark musks like me better). it is too sweet, almost cloying. i got a similar watery/grassy feel from thunder moon, but this is lots stronger. just not for me.

Very sweet, and very very green. It makes me feel like I'm in a seaweed bath at a spa. Cucumber is definitely the predominant note on me after 15 min, but I think it'll calm down and blend a bit better as more time passes. I'm really glad I got this one!

In bottle: The agave is surprisingly strong as is the cucumber and poppy. It is rich and sweet with benzoin, very green and somewhat wet. Wet: More aquatic and vaguely muddy. The various water plants come out more mingling with the poppy/agave/cucumber in a sweet blend. This is likely too floral for me, but quite nice. It is making me think of Lightning a little (the GC fragrance.) Dry: Disapointing. It dries out to something shapoolike and uninteresting.

Sweet, green and watery.

I usually cannot wear aquatic scents - that is one of my perfume rules. But Sturgeon Moon is one of a growing list of exceptions. Like Thunder Moon, this is a light, fresh scent with no hint of moss or salt water which seem to characterize the aquatics that smell...well, rather like one might expect a sturgeon to smell on my skin to be honest.

Happily, this is not one of those scents. It has a fruity, almost melon note underneath the fresh water that makes me think of a freshwater pond with a waterfall and ample water lilies and wild flowers and long grasses around it. This is the smell of late spring in rural Virginia. It is a scent of new life. Which is not to say that this is a heady scent - it is fresh and clean and just lovely.

straight sniff from bottle is very sweet and green...how pretty!!

once applied musky cucumber and light florals...this packs quite a punch and has

great throw...

i also l-o-v-e the label...a winner!!

I was a bit worried about this one (aquatics don't always work out on me) but Sturgeon Moon is lovely! I'm really getting the sweet green of cucumber and agave beneath a light layer of aquatic - like plants growing just beneath the surface of the water. The musk adds a sexy, murky note (musks love me and I them). The musky undertone makes this the first aquatic / clean scent that I think I'll wear frequently - it adds an adult quality to the scent.

In the bottle, green grass: a perfect, soft, clipped, summer lawn in a bottle. It actually makes me want to go play catch outside.

On me, green grass, cucumber and agave. Definitely the scent of a place where it rains enough in the summer to keep everything green.

I spent a couple summers when I was 10 and 11 in Indiana at my Aunt's house next to a river. This takes me back to my first experience playing in a place where the vacant lots grow trees rather than dust if left alone, and no one bothers to have sprinklers in the lawn.

Also, it lasts, and lasts, and lasts on me. It hasn't morphed much, and I can still smell it clearly.

Edited by Aerinha

This is THE most refreshing scent...in the bottle it's a bit like F5 meets Tempest. On, it smells like perfumed cucumber. Really pretty, and perfect for summer!

ETA: 10 minutes later this smells just like the ocean, and salt spray on me. Lovely!

Edited by savage_rose

In the bottle: Cucumber, agave and sweet water.

Applied: The more sour notes of lichen and algae come out nicely balanced against the sweet water, cyclamen and poppy.

Drydown: A light powdery plant like smell is floating in the breeze.This is just such a breath of freshness. It really does remind me of Lake Superior...the day is warm but the water is cold and bracing...everything is green. It makes me think of happy times.

The other aquatics I've had have all been oceanic so this has such a unique feel to it. I'm glad I didn't pass it up.

This makes me think of seaweed and the ocean rather than a lake, but the only lakes I've lingered at have been puddles compared to the Great Lakes : -)

The cucumber note is fresh rather than sweet to me. A lot of people have said that Sturgeon Moon is super-sweet, and I don't feel that way. It's just a lovely balance of crisp green notes with grassy notes, along with the aquatics (non-citrus) and lunar herbs.

It's clean, fresh, invigorating....it makes me feel cooler on this humid summer day. It only gets better as it dries down, morphing into a green, sun-warmed sheets-on-the-line idealized moment.

I really love this scent! I think it would work equally well on a cool rainy day to accent the weather, as it would on a hot sticky day to combat the heat.

I will thoroughly enjoy Sturgeon Moon today and on many days to come. Wonderful! I'm glad I went for it.

4.6 out of 5

Fresh and clean. This reminds me of a fresh shampoo. I'm allergic to grass and was worried about how the grassy notes in it would affect me, but I get more cucumber, sweet water, and melon (perhaps the agave?). It's a fresh, lovely scent for summer, and I'm so glad I got it!

In the bottle, it seemed very fresh. I was worried it might be TOO aquatic, more on the marine side and less on the green side, but it's very fresh, green, and light.

On, it stays the same pretty much. Maybe the cucumber comes out to play a little more, but it's a very sparkling, cheerful, light green scent on me--

Wait, where'd it go? After maybe an hour, it's faded.

Dammit.

In the bottle: Colourless. Mildly sweet, gentle, green aquatic. THIS is what I imagine Pisces should smell like. Soft florals (like wild flowers), cucumber, melony agave, new leaves, fresh grass.

Wet: A bit cleaner, fresher and brighter with a hint of salt, otherwise the same. It's such a cool, perfectly watery, soothing, and refreshing scent. The cyclamen is so lovely; I've never smelled it more clearly, and the cucumber is that same delicious note from Squirting Cucumber.

Dry: Dries almost instantly, taking on just a bit of a soapy edge, but not unpleasantly. This is remarkably unique. It reminds me a bit of Blue Moon 2004, but it's not as sweet; it's, lighter and greener, more planty. Seamlessly blended, it's difficult to pick out much beyond the cyclamen and cucumber. The agave is light, but does have a melony, softly honeyed feel.

Later: Hmm, I thought this was supposed to be freshwater? It's certainly become quite salty on me (algae, maybe?), but in a lovely manner - it's brackish, with swirls of both sweet and salty water wafting off my skin. The musk has emerged, and it's glorious and shining, glowing rather than glaring, reminding me of the musk in Yvaine.

Summary: This blend is aquatic above all, but with a salty tang, gentle sweetness, grassy green notes, soft musk and delicate wildflowers. The agave just barely sweetens the blend, like honeydew syrup, while the cucumber refreshes and soothes. Youthful and feminine, with excellent throw and lasting power.

Another evocative and nostalgic blend for me; my skin is salty from swimming in the ocean earlier as I lie next to a cool lake in a shady forest, surrounded by flowers, greenery, and a meandering stream.

Note: I didn't get any poppy or benzoin.

I am SO glad I got a bottle and I'm so glad I'm going to will call this month to get more! :P

In the bottle, I get some very interesting citrus. Starfruit? It's not quite grapefruit. Cucumber, agave and a tiny bit of light musk. On, it's very citrusy. The cucumber and agave are much more subtle, but the underlying musk does come through. There's also something about it that definitely makes me think of the sea, although I can't quite put my finger on it. I like this one. It's lighter and fresher than my usual style, but it's really nice for summer.

STURGEON MOON

In Bottle: Aquatics and cucumber

On Skin: Freaking beautiful. Very cool, aquatic and fresh. A cousin of the original Blue Moon. I need gallons!!!! It has the gorgeous crystal blue feel, so nice and cooling. The florals are soft and clean. The aquatic notes are dominant and the cucumber is second in line. I love the velvety musk and the refreshing agave. I love this as a summer scent, it wipes away the 90 degree summer days we've been having. I am 100% in love with this scent. I want it as a perfume, a bath oil, a body spray and a linen scent. So very beautiful. Strong throw and long wearlength.

Sturgeon Moon is a light, fresh aquatic. It comes across as breezy and green with a hint of cucumber and agave nectar. This is more of a marshy green scent and I find it to be very diffuse and soft compared to most aquatics. It's very lovely, refreshing, and cool. I don't really pick out all the specific notes aside from the cucumber and agave, but it really is lovely. Watery and planty. :P

In the bottle: A green aquatic smell, not sharp green though. Definitely underwater green. Cucumber too. In my personal opinion, the Great Lakes smell much less pleasant than this :P

Wet on me: Cucumber and agave with a little bit of florals. The florals made me nervous, but I think the cucumber is keeping them in check.

Dry: Sweet and fresh and green overall. I bought this hoping for a great summer scent that made me feel cool and relaxed, and that's exactly what it does. Its something I can wear often, especially to work. Its unobtrusive but still interesting.

Edit: unlike...well....ALL aquatics I've ever tried, this stuff lasts and lasts and has great throw!

Edited by iiinterstate

Fresh, green, watery, sweet cucumber. There's a touch of a "conventional" perfume-scent too, but it's not obnoxious. It's very nice, especially for summer.

On me, Sturgeon Moon is like a more intense version of Ebisu Making Love as Two Octopi Look On.

In the bottle, I get something that almost makes me think of grapefruit, but with a more aquatic edge... Wet, the grapefruit quality is there for an instant, then drops out and is replaced by the cucumber note, with a floral background. Very, very green and refreshing.

Drydown gets a note that is VERY similar to the nectarine in Ebisu. It's saltwater and cucumber and nectarine notes, and softly green. I don't get floral any more. Lasts very well, too. :P I liked Ebisu Making Love, but wow, this one I just LOVE!!

From the files of Dick Streetsmart, Private Eye.

There was something fishy from the start. The dame--and there's always a dame, see?--had asked me to meet her down by the pier. She sounded upset on the phone, which could have been an act, but she'd promised to double my usual fee, and that made me an attentive audience.

The pier was empty, and just as I was cursing myself for being a chump, I heard her.

"Mr. Streetsmart?" The voice I had heard on the phone called out to me. I looked around but...nothing. And…maybe I'd skipped lunch again, but I could swear I smelled something like…cucumbers. Cucumbers and summer days at the beach...

"Down here, Mr. Streetsmart." I snapped out of my nostalgia and reminded myself that chumps who didn't pay attention by the river ended up in a snug pair of concrete shoes at the bottom of it.

I looked down. That's when I saw her. The mermaid.

Now, here's the part in the story where you say you don't believe me, take away my gin, and call me a cab--but if you've been in this city as long as I have, you've seen more improbable things than a lady with a tail, am I right? Well, turns out this lady had a tail and a tale, if you know what I mean. She explained that she'd been living there, in the river, almost all her life, but now she was afraid she'd have to leave. She wanted my help. She looked innocent enough, and as close as I was, her scent was making me a little delirious. Sweet nectar and fresh grasses seemed to waft from her golden tresses down to her silvery blue fin. It was like summer at the Shore, only it was alive and shining at my feet. She was quite a dish and she smelled like sugar on the sea.

"What could you want from me, doll?" I asked. "Somebody get dumped in the Hudson? Illegal fishing?" How do I know what gets a mermaid up in arms? So to speak.

She shook her head. "It's the tabloids. I think a tourist snapped a picture of me and sold it to one of those horrible magazines! I don't want people to come looking for me, to hunt me!" She shuddered, her pale hair throwing out droplets and wafting the blue-green tang of fresher waters than this river had seen in a lifetime. "Or worse, they'll start asking questions, just awful questions!"

"About what? What've you got to be afraid of, sweetheart?"

"They'll ask...where I came from."

"What? Are you from Jersey or something? Aw, doll, that ain't nothin' to be ashamed of!"

"No," she bit her lip. "No, it's just that, well...my parents were...well, they were..." she took a deep breath. "They were FISH!"

I was confused, for sure. But maybe that was her musk and the rising moon—it'd obfuscate any man's senses. "Fish? Now look, two fish can't--"

"They were two sturgeon who fell madly in love under a full moon. It must have been some kind of magic or spell or something that made me!"

"More like the chemicals in the East River," I muttered. I had my doubts about her story. Sturgeon? In love?? If she didn't have a flipper in place of getaway pins I'd say she was on the giggle juice. But she looked so down in the gills I just couldn't say it. I made a decision--maybe I'd regret it, but once I made it I knew I'd stick to it. "I'll help you," I told her.

She grinned wide, her smile glowing whiter than the moonlight reflecting on the water. "Oh, I just knew you would!" We shook on it and sealed the deal.

As she swam off, leaving me in the olfactory daze of her lingering musk (and cucumbers), I realized I'd forgotten to ask the most important question of all.

How on earth had she called me?

Edited by galleywest

Sturgeon Moon - i knew this would not be anything to be afraid of! It is gorgeous! It's sweet and slightly salty at the same time, it definately feels green...i agree that there is something about it that "feels" like both Thunder Moon and Hungry Ghost Moon, though a bit more "perfumy" if you will...I would say that it smells like the lake...a very pretty lake...the cucumber adds a great freshness that helps it not to be too overpowering and it does smell softly like florals...however, i don't think flower haters should stay away...I think actually if i were wearing some of the fab floral bpals I love and then went swimming in the lake...when i got out of the water, i would smell like this...I have to say, i know this sounds weird, but it kinda makes me feel young!! Like i'm at summer camp and just full of sun and water and grass and flowers and loveliness!

Wow. Sniffing from the bottle it smells so FRESH and blue green.

I think I need to let it settle a bit before I can get any individual notes. And I'm slathered in so many other oils right now that I don't want to put it on and mix it with anything.

But so far I'm thinking a very cool, refreshing scent. Not fishy at all! :P

In the bottle: A very green and calm watery scent. I can really smell the cucumber and agave.

Wet: The agave is the strongest note I smell. To me, it sort of smells like Lightning, but without the ozone aspect to it. It's nice.

Dry: Mellows out to a more floral scent, with strong green notes. There's a little bit of bite to it (I'm assuming that's the poppy) and it's pleasant and summery.

Overall: A nice, crisp spa-type scent that is actually calming me. It lasts long on me as well!