Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
filigree_shadow

Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream

An irrelevant, disturbing, and surreal scent: red currant, green tea, red musk, Hawaiian ginger, benzoin, vanilla, coriander, squash blossom, and blueberry.

Thanks to Marciabee for the bottle!

YUM YUM YUM.

Sweet and fruity blueberries and currants with spicy coriander and ginger, and yet it's not incredibly foody. This is lovely, light, and sparkle-happy-funtime-yay. My inner 8-year old wants to cover her my little ponies with this stuff.

For a brief moment this is extra brand gum (fruit flavor)...but then it goes back to being amazing. It's a blueberry out for Japanese food with it's friends squash blossom and coriander, munching on ginger and drinking green tea. Edited by Shollin

This is awesome! It reminds of Cheshire Moon in feel but the Crawdad is softer, sweeter, less bitter and sharp.

I get sweet berries and guava for some reason, green tea, sweet florals and this odd but pleasant herbal note that reminds me of fresh cut basil. That almost licorice scent it has. It compliments the sweet elements well.

This is just fun and uplifting.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting.... whatever it is that I got from this! :P

Bottle: Mmmmm, berrylicious!

Wet: I get a wet smack of something sharp underneath the blueberry/currant (yes, something even sharper than the blueberries), maybe the ginger or red musk? This is sweet, but I usually love sweet... this is definitely sweet in a very unsettling sort of way. As this starts to dry down, it actually starts to feel a little watery.... it's so bizarre! I think it's probably the green tea doing that trick, and the coriander isn't particularly helping. It works itself up to the point where it's almost too much and I want to wash it off, and then suddenly it slacks waaay back. Thankfully.

Dry: Slightly green, a little sweet.... some musk here and there. Luckily the coriander has calmed down quite a bit. This does fade faster than a lot of blends, but the throw is kind of nice and it leaves behind a faint trace of benzoin/vanilla -- which is fine, but it's one hell of a trip to get there!

Verdict: This is like fragrancing oneself with Salvador Dali juice. This is what Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bumblebee smells like. It's unsettling, it's bizarre, and it's not entirely pretty... but it is fascinating.

wet, this is like a vanilla-ginger tea steeped with blueberries. there is a touch of herbalness that I assume is the coriander? but what really stands out here is the bright bite of red currant, which lingers over the scent from beginning to its dry-out phase. after awhile, it's not too bright and cheery, more laidback and comforting, however i don't get the blueberry dessert comparison that some find. to me, after the scent has been worn for some time, it's just not a foody scent at all! if it MUST be classified, i'd say "fruity-tea" with the lovely addition of a smidgen of red musk, deepening the scent overall. (why aren't more reviewers picking up on the red musk? this is such a gorgeous representation of a red musk scent, right here...it's just right.)

and yeah, kinda candy-like. but yes, it's very fun, kinda silly, and a mish-mosh of elements you don't often see together. in that regard, reminds me of the mock turtle's lessons...though they're definitely not two of a kind. there's something almost marshy about crawdad dream that really settles all that sweet stuff, and i believe that's what really draws me to the scent. this one is just so hard to review! hehe. i like it a lot. not a typical type of scent for me, but it's for certain moods or occasions...my next LSD trip? j/k.

i'm keeping this one :P (p.s.-this one is pretty darn light; it's a slatherer.)

Edited by eatingthesea

As many people have mentioned, this smells exactly like a warm buttery blueberry muffin to start out. While it is delicious, the buttery-ness is a bit offsetting perfume-wise, but happily that stage faded almost immediately once Crawdad was on my skin.

This went through a variety of morphological wonders...it was a shape and color changing crawdad to be sure. But in the end, it turned into something just right (for me): a green tea-currant-blueberry muffin, sans butter. It is fresh (tea!) and fruity, but just a bit foodily grounded (by the coriander and vanilla I think). Nothing doin' with the ginger and there's not a whiff of musk in sight. I think this may be a new favorite whimsical daytime scent.

Also...it lasts for hours on me, with moderate throw.

I wish I had some idea about squash blossom....

Wet - blueberries and juicy currants

Dry - hello benzoin, my friend, and green tea, oh how I love you! Blueberry green tea.

The red musk is almost indetectable. It just grounds the berries and keeps this blend from being cloying. It's blueberries warmed by the sun, warm earth and green tea.

The stuff dreams are made of! :P

In bottle: fruity, creamy, foody, redcurrant and blueberry.

Wet on skin: sweet, fruity, creamy, a little reminiscent of Cheshire Moon only MUCH nicer! Redcurrants, blueberries, a hint of ginger, and vanilla, like a delicious cake with fresh berries on. There is something on the jasmine-y side of floral here, but it's behaving nicely and staying in the background.

Dry on skin: a cool musk emerges and everything stays very sweet and fun and fruity. This is a truly yummy scent and just what I was hoping for!

Later on: after an hour the throw increases as ginger and coriander amp up for a while. Close to the skin is a very cool note which I would have thought was white rather than red musk. The juicy berries are starting to recede.

After 3 hours it reminds me of Black Opal's icy white musk and vanilla, but the fruit and spices are still playing hide and seek in the background. Very nice indeed - a playful and delicious scent.

This is delicious in the bottle. Mostly currant and blueberry and green tea! Just lovely! Blue Fire didn't work on me, so I'm hoping this will be a blueberry scent that does!

First on the skin this like a mix between blueberry muffin and blueberry green tea! Very nice! Hmm...the tea gets quite a bit stronger as it dries. Maybe a bit too much...I want to see how this fully settles.

Unfortunately, when this fully dries there is some weird sourish note that just kinda kills this blend for me. Not sure which of the notes it is, but booo! Also, it goes quite powdery on drydown. I can see this being an AMAZING foody blueberry blend on some people, but something about my chemistry is throwing it off. It was amazing in the bottle. :P Totally meh on me! :D

In the bottle: Freshly spicy, sweet and fruity, a bit like fruit punch, and even a little effervescence. Blueberry and vanilla jump out, but I can detect ginger, coriander, and benzoin just below, as well as a bit of harsh red musk, grassy green tea, and a planty floral.

Wet: Vanilla'ed bluberry! Candyish, edible, foody. I'm imagining blueberry lollipops dipped in vanilla ice cream or creme anglaise. The red currant, now distinct, adds a nice tart counterpart, as do the medley of invigorating spices. The benzoin adds more sweetness, of a honeyed-vanilla sort, but also some resin which grounds the blend. The green tea is stronger too, and quite bright, both piney and grassy, and merges with the juicy red currant.

Dry: This is really incredibly sweet, tooth-achingly, candy-like. The vanilla amps increasingly, and the red musk has come out with a vengeance, adding a bitter, biting undercurrent. The also stronger coriander, too, has taken a bit of a bitter edge, but more pleasantly. The other notes remain distinct, but beneath these three bullies.

Later: Not much morphing past the dry stage, other than an increasing sweetness from the vanilla in particular. It's much less fruity than it is in the bottle and earlier stages on my skin, less green and herbal and fresh (in fact, virtually none of that remains), and much muskier.

Summary: Super sweet and musky. Strong, intensely sweet creamy vanilla backed by honeyed benzoin, rich, slightly herbal-bitter but still very sexy red musk, candied blueberry, spicy ginger, fragrantly citrusy and woody coriander, and planty-fresh, vaguely floral squash blossom. The green tea and red currant linger faintly. Feminine. Crazy strong throw and lasting power.

On me, it's just so intensely vanilla-y and sweet, as the fresher, tarter elements fade quite quickly, that I don't find it personally wearable. But the presence of the coriander, blueberry, and squash blossom give it some lovely elements which make the blend utterly unique for BPAL or any scent, for that matter. Impressive!

I was very very excited for this- I looooove blueberry.

Unfortunately, the red must squashed everything for me. I should've known better, beacsue i have never once been able to wear a scent with red musk. It sort of climbed all over everything and made a sweet, rotten, squashed berry stench.

:P

This is probably the most morphingest scent I've yet tried from BPAL.

In the bottle: fresh slightly squished blueberries with vanilla ice cream.

Immediately on me: black licorice. Which is odd, because there's no anise in the blend!

A few minutes later: vanilla and ginger.

(there's supposed to be blueberry and currant in this! why can't I smell it anywhere other than in the bottle?)

Fifteen minutes later, blueberry tea.

I think I shall set this one aside, sadly...

I'm so glad this works on me! I would have hated to trade away that fantastic title, and the little pink crawdads on the label art.

It started out as cooked blueberries (yeah, I'd go with canned pie filling), along with a bitter note almost like grapefruit, and I was very scared at first, but pretty soon it mellowed into currant ginger tea, with a hint of vanilla musk smoothness. Lovely! I've only had it on for around two hours, so I don't know how long it lasts yet.

Mmmm, for someone who normally can't do berries, or red musk, this has turned out suprisingly well!

It's gorgeously blended, so there's not that heavy element of all those red notes that normally amp on my skin. Now this is what I was hoping Opuhi would be. It's fresh, yet sweet; effervescent, yet strangely grounded. Slightly musky, but delicious. Oh, yeah, did I mention blueberry? It's a lovely blueberry at that too, not too sweet, more like dried blueberries. A definite fruit perfume for those who usually can't do fruit.

Edited by lilacea

What is this, Enraged Crawdad Musk?

This doesn't smell anything like I expected. It reminds me slight of Gennivre, I don't know why. I don't get any blueberry at all. A slight minty tea. Mmph.

First Impression: Oily Fruit.

Dries down to: This settles down very quickly. The oiliness tones down, the tea steps forward and it turns into an exotic but very faint, fruity tea blend.

Additional comments: The red currant is more prominent than the blueberry on me. I can't detect the spices nor the vanilla but they must be what's keeping the benzoin in check. In the middle stage, I feel as if I dribbled juice while eating fruit but can't find it to clean it up - it's just a faint, muddled mess. Finally, it becomes more crisp - I'm guessing from the ginger and musk - and the notes come together. It's okay but nothing special. I like some fruity scents but this is more of a generic tea with fruit sauce.

Rating: 2 out of 5.

In the bottle, this is a nearly-indiscernable mashing of sweet, sweet, juicy fruits and a blast of pure sugar! These are not sour, yet not-quite-creamy fruits. The scent is very smooth yet potent. I LOVE it in the bottle. Most BPAL blends with sugar end up smelling burned and amped horribly on my skin. THIS smells what I expect a scent drenched in sugar to smell like. LOVE it! Oh, I guess I said that already... :P

Dry, this seems to have a sweet, pale amber in it. It's still fruity but not a fruit-only smoothie anymore. To me, it smells very much like chilled, sugar-baked yams and I want to EAT THEM ALL!!!!!!! I'll also have to wear this in a scent locket for that fruit explosion. I wish my dreams smelled like this.

p.s.

it got three enthusiastic thumbs up from the sad children in my house today. I let them each wear it and they perked RIGHT up!

just a short while later: vanilla--sweet, creamy vanilla--is creeping and climbing about my wrist. I usually hate musk so I'm surprised I'm not getting any of that, which ruined this for some people. If you love the fruits, like I do, and are disappointed they quickly disappear, definitely wear this one in a scent locket!

Update: HERE COMES THE MUSK! It still has a fruity note to it. I'll probably update again about how it does in my scent locket because it's heaven when wet, to me.

Edited by djnevermore

In the Bottle: Huckleberry syrup! We used to pick Huckleberries up in the mountains and make Huckleberry pancakes with Huckleberry syrup - this smells just like it! YUM!

First Applied: OMGosh!!! Very tart RED BERRY! This is so gorgeous that I just want to keep my nose to my wrist. Absolutely perfect!

Dry Down: For the first 15-20 minutes IDSCD smells of tart red berries - almost as if there is a hint of lemon in there giving some tartness to the beautiful red currant. I love, love, love this!!! THEN... out comes the vanilla. It overpowers that beautiful red currant love and turns it into fake candle blargh. Oh! So SAD!!! At 1/2 hour, the only thing I can smell is fake candle vanilla and only if I put my nose right next to it. No blueberry, ginger, corriander, or squash blossom.

Conclusion:Very light throw and about 45 mins. wear length. Definitely a keeper for my scent locket. I will give it another skin try after a few weeks. This just arrived yesterday and sometimes oils have to settle for awhile. I hope it does because IDSCD has major potential.

I was happy to receive my bottle of Crawdad Dream today, and I have to say, I think I've found a winner. I do like fruity-floral scents, like Fire Pig, Earth Rat, Titania, Thalia, Thaleia, Kindly Moon, and others, and this one fits right in to me. It's definitely blueberry right out of the gate, and once it's on my arm it's got a warmth to the fruit. Now, some hours later, it's a happy vanilla floral. Very enjoyable. I won't seek out another bottle, but I'll likely keep the one I have.

This actually goes on like raspberry candy (as previously mentioned by a few) rather than like blueberry on me. It quickly morphs from fruity though, into a soft green tea and slight floral scent. I don't get much vanilla or musk in this, but the green tea is very prominent on me.

This scent is very soft and faint (it's a close-to-your-body kind of scent) and has a very Spring feel to it. It's much less fruity than I anticipated but is still playful.

In the bottle, this smells exactly like blue raspberry candy - sugary, fruity, and almost sour (in a good, mouthwatering sort of way).

On my skin... :P

I'm really loving the blueberry scents, even though they're more candy-blueberry than true blueberry.

This isn't floral or musky on me at all, but the currant, green tea, and blueberry all meld together into a fantastic, unique fruity scent. The green tea adds a bit of astringent freshness that cuts the sweetness of the blueberry, and the currant makes it more than just a blueberry scent. I like that this is a tart scent that doesn't go too far and smell like sweet tart candies on me.

Overall, the tea, currant, and blueberry seem to meld together into a tart raspberry scent on my skin.

This is such a fun, playful blend. I'm glad that I got two bottles (and the label artwork is brilliant) :D

In the bottle: very berry!

On skin, wet- blueberries and…green.

Drydown: I’d swear I smell an aquatic note. Oh, wait, that must be the coriander- it always smells “watery” to me, even as a food ingredient. The greenness is rising; the berries are still sweetly present but not in an overwhelming or cloying sort of way.

Dry: I can certainly pick out the coriander and tea among the blueberries…you wouldn’t think that would work, but somehow it does. I’m not getting much of anything else (thank the gods that the vanilla isn’t amping like it usually does). I wish the ginger was a bit more apparent, though.

It’s fading fairly quickly on my skin- could be a scent locket candidate.

In the bottle, I didn't think I'd like this on. Smelled very fruity, like a blueberry crumble cake. Once on, it did not stay foody at all, I still smell blueberries but, not very sweet. An hour later, it has morphed into the most beautiful, creamy scent very reminiscent of an amped up Dana O'Shea with a slight musky kick. I also get a touch of vanilla and blueberries, but it all blends together very nicely so that it is hard to know exactly what it smells like. A very convincing win. :P

Edited by milo

When I first tried this scent it reminded me of Robitussin cough syrup, so I put it aside.

A couple of days later I tried it again. In the bottle: blueberry pie (or cobbler or dessert of choice) filling.

Wet on skin: oh, coriander and other spices with berries in the background.

dry: slightly spicy with a hint of berries. Not much throw. I'm hoping the spices will develop as this scent ages.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Strange blueberries. :P

Preconceived notions/pre-review thoughts: How could I not try this, if only for the concept alone? Luckily, the notes sound wonderful.

In the bottle: Beautiful, creamy vanilla-blueberry. Love!

On skin, wet: Blueberry tea. How very strange. I think I find this strange because my experience with blueberry in perfume is so very lacking, and, I think, for good reason: I'm not finding myself fond of blueberry tea! I can also detect red currant and musk, but just barely.

On skin, dry: Musky blueberry muffins. A very... strange change. Have I mentioned that this is a strange scent? Hmm. It's very, very sweet, but not cloying. As a blueberry scent, this is quite lovely -- I'm just finding myself less than fond of blueberry.

Conclusion: Strange really does say it all. It's a total morpher: vanilla-blueberry love to blueberry tea to musky blueberry muffins! I love the smell of fresh blueberries, but somehow, the smell of it on my skin is less than dazzling. I can, however, see how fruit/berry lovers would throw themselves at this.

Edited by Aredhel

First Sniff: Blueberry Sryup

On Skin: Wet, tart blueberries and green tea. I have a blueberry white tea, and this is almost identical to it and very comforting. The blueberries are sharp and biting and this is the part of the morphing that I adore.

Dry Down: Oh noes, here comes the vanilla, and bam....Blueberry/red currant muffins. OMG, a BPAL vanilla that works for me. Yah!!!

But it's not finished yet. I can smell a spicy red musk developing among the muffins. Wow, I am confused. Spicy fruity muffins.

Final thoughts: This is so much better than Blue Fire. I love blueberries and tea scents. This is a real winner. Fruity and foodie and not overwhelming at all.