Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
filigree_shadow

Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream

An irrelevant, disturbing, and surreal scent: red currant, green tea, red musk, Hawaiian ginger, benzoin, vanilla, coriander, squash blossom, and blueberry.

Wow, this is one hilarious and semi-schizophrenic scent! In the bottle, I get the blueberry. Wet, it turns into licorice. And after drydown...wtf? Cherry pipe tobacco??

I think the journey may have been hard on it...gonna let it sit a few days and try it again. If nothing else, it's entertaining as heck! :P And it provided my mom with a first hand understanding of Beth's genius. She can't imagine how somebody could be smart enough to mix something that morphs like this. hehe!

This smells like blueberry cough syrup. VERY blueberry... quite sweet... and fairly medicinal.

As it dries the medicinal goes away and pretty much leaves me with blueberries.

I was REALLY hoping for more vanilla and ginger, but for some ungodly reason, the labs ginger note isn't always good to me (sad since it is my FAVORITE note)

Now the blueberry has backed off a bit and we have a little more ginger and tea...

I'm not sure how I ffeel about this scent. I love the story and want to keep it just for that but???

I'm hoping with age the spices (vanilla, ginger, coriander) will come out to play more.

I don't find this scent to be overwhelmingly fruit, foody or candy-like. That's saying something, since I usually can't wear fruity scents at all and I am not especially fond of foody or really sweet scents. On me, this scent is more gourmand -- very berry-like at first, but with a good hit of vanilla underneath. It rather reminded me of a blueberries laden over a custard. After wearing it for a bit, it gets spicier and a bit sharper, probably from the ginger and coridander, and the green tea gives it a refreshing zing, although it's blended so well that nothing really overwhelms. To me, it smells very fresh and crisp, yet ripe and juicy. There is nothing disturbing or surreal about it, for I think it's just plain pretty!

In bottle: fruit tartlet

On skin: blueberry and tangy ginger, not too sugary sweet

Half-hour later: the fruit has mellowed with the creamy vanilla. The green tea is strong too, bright and vivacious

In conclusion: blueberry is a new ingredient for me to try, and it fits well with my love for the "dark fruit" blends. This isn't all candy-sweet, but a more grown-up blend with the tea and vanilla. Kooky concept with a delicious result.

Yum!

This is like a sweet pastry with tart berries in it. And it's really, really fun. It makes me want to wear a fun lil sundress. And if I sniff really hard (which makes me dizzy so I shouldn't do it often, it's really hot today) there's a little ginger behaving in there asking why the rest is so darn silly, and a little...aquatic? On account of crawdads live in water, I betcha.

I wish there was a crawdad emote. It would be right here.

I was so excited to get home because I knew the Crawdad Dream was waiting for me!

In the bottle: BLUEBERRY BLUEBERRY BLUEBERRY, strong and tart.

Wet on me: Still blueberry, but less so. I can really smell the green tea, which usually goes a little bit off on me no matter how many times I try.

Drying: The fruitiness of this blend fades quite a bit (I'm not surprised, my skin tends to eat berry notes) but its not gone at all. It smells more like fresh blueberries at the grocery store than blueberry candies, which is much nicer to wear in my opinion.

After awhile: There's the ginger! Someone earlier on compared this blend to Pele, and I can see that now. Pele minus flowers plus tea. A few minutes later I can pick up a teeeeeensy bit of vanilla. Blueberry is still in the background. I hope it comes out a little more as this ages.

I'm really interested to see what this crazy morpher will do once it has a week or so to settle, but I'm pleased as it is. So many strange ingredients with such a pretty end result!

ETA: Later, the blueberry comes back (yay!) along with some more vanilla. This is GORGEOUS and I'm so glad I took a chance on two bottles! Blueberry pie INDEED.

Edited by iiinterstate

This is going to make no sense, because this scent evokes not only smell but color. :D This starts out as Gorgeous Blueberry Pie Filling!!!!!!! :D Then it turns spicy and then bluish purple in scent and color. Pomegranate purple? and now this scent evokes royal purple with spices. :D Blueberry pie filling, royal purple and spices. I love this scent. :P

I was very excited to try this, the description sounded so interesting.

In the bottle, I get an intial strong whiff of blueberries. When I go to sniff at the bottle again I get blueberries and, I'm not kidding, balsamic vinegar. That's the only way I can describe it. It's like one of those fruity-vinagrette dressings, sweet and fruity, yet tangy too. Blueberry-balsamic!

Wet on my skin, no vinegar thank goodness! I'm still not sure what gave me that sensation in the bottle. But yep, the other reviewers are right, blueberry pie filling. But not the canned kind to me, but like the innards of a home made blueberry pie, rich, sweet and slightly spicy. Or really good blueberry preserves. Oh and then there's the ginger coming out a bit, and maybe the slight grassiness of green tea. The fruity smell dies back quite a bit as it dries.

As it dries, it's getting musky. Usually red musk is nauseating on my skin, but this is nice I might understand why some people think red musk is so sexy now. The muskiness has a sweetness too, and I'm not sure if that's a characteristic of the red musk, or if the aftermath of the fruits still linger. There's also a creaminess in the back of everything else that I think is the benzoin and the vanilla. Not overt, just there, and right behind that, the coriander. With all the varying notes, I expected this scent to be super heavy and thick. It's not really though. Each note is surprisingly light and fresh. It's like many thin layers of chiffon making a skirt.

Later: Umph this has turned so sexy on me, which I didn't expect at all. I expected playful yes, especially after the intial blueberry blast, but not sexy. But it's just settled on my skin and turned into sweet spicy musky ginger bite me sauce. I have to restrain the urge to lick my arm where I've dabbed it. It definitely starts fruity, and food-y, but ends up some place else entirely. I'd love to smell this on a man. The initial smell might be a bit fruity for the average man, but on the drydown I bet it would be mancandy sex on a stick.

This is Surreal, it changes moods so quickly. I think I need another bottle. :P

ETA: This started out as love, but it turned on me. I'm not sure if it's body chemistry or what, but I put it on yesterday, and the red musk attacked me. Now all I smell is fruit in a headshop. :D I still love it, but it doesn't love me!

Edited by TooMuchTemptation

In the bottle, Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream (I love that name) is just blueberry, and very yummy. On my skin, it's tea, currant, and blueberry, in pretty much that order. This is nice but I'm hoping age will make it better.

Wow, this smells totally different to me than most people. Wet in the bottle I do get the tart berry scent with a very faint mint note in the far background. Wet on my skin it becomes a very creamy, tart citrus like a fresh key lime. The mint I detected in the bottle has disappeared completely though there is a hint of ginger. After drydown this reminds me most of Earl Grey tea with powdered sugar and fresh cream.

I put this on last night to test right before bed and I had to sleep with my wrist near my nose so I could just keep breathing in the lovely, creamy citrus scent that this became on my skin. OMIGOSH it is absolutely fabulous and I may have to seek out more! Its a delightfully fun, fresh, slightly silly, pefect for Summer scent.

Upon first sniff, blueberry is definitely present. And I do love blueberries!

Fruit scents do one of two things on my skin: they sink in or they shout. The fruit in this melds nicely and settles itself down into a light blanket of vanilla musk. As the day wears on the musk overtones are brought out more with a bit of gingery/coriander sweetness. The scent overall isn't loud or bracing. It is a bit odd, but I think that is entirely the point. It's fun and funky, fresh and frenetic. Kinda like the ups and downs of pregnancy I would imagine.

Definitely a keeper.

In the bottle: blueberries.

Wet: blueberries and coriander.

Drydown: the blueberries and currant meld to a more generic "berry" scent. The coriander adds spice. The vanilla and benzoin join forces with the ginger and tea.

I can't pick out the squash blossom (not sure what that would smell like anyway) and one other note listed (can't recall what). This is BEAUTIFUL.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something fruity this way comes!

Wet, this is high and deep fruit with a dash of ginger. The redcurrant and blueberry harmonize nicely, and reenforce each other into something like a pie filling seasoned with ginger and vanilla.

As it dries down, it goes a bit murky. I think it's the red musk note, but it's not the red musk I'm generally familiar with from other blends. It starts to smell warm and muddled, kitchen-in-baking-fruit-pies mode. The warming note might be the squash blossom, as those always smell sun-warmed to me.

Dry...it's very familiar. Hmm, baked goods with blueberry filling... and then finally morphing into warm Blueberry Buckle babyfood, which is really very nice.

It's a little weird and surreal, just like the description promises. The Blueberry Buckle babyfood was almost unexpected, which it shouldn't have been, given it's based off pregnancy dreams. But warm? Because it's definitely warm. Interesting, foody, and a real keeper!

In the bottle: Wow there is a lot of this going on! I can't identify one particular scent in the bunch, but I get distinctly fruity overtones.

Wet on my skin: Blueberry pancakes. Totally seriously.

On drydown: Smells like blueberry tobacco.

When I snuffled the bottle, I thought--UGH! It had a sickly, too sweet, almost buttery/ fermented smell....but on, it's quite lovely. It doesn't last long, but it is pretty and fruity and complex and not at all little girlie, like a lot of fruit scents. I really like it and have dabbing it on here and there. I wonder what makes that buttery smell that I hate? I know I have smelled it before, but I can't recall which scent.

I was very excited for this, since it combines some of my favorite notes. At first, it is just beautiful out of the bottle and on when wet. At that point, it's a combination of blueberry, red currant, a hint of musk and a hint of vanilla. But it rapidly changes into, basically, a Red Currant single-note. It stays there for hours, a bright, sharp, piercing red currant, and then gradually fades enough that the hint of musk and a bit of ginger show through.

The jury is out for me on this one. I want to love it. But I don't, although I can see it's potential. I think I'll age it, and hope it mellows out a bit.

in the bottle: blueberries and fresh sweetgrass. which is AH-maze-ing. :P

wet on skin: oh yeah, full force blueberry. fresh, ripe, and just picked in the sunshine. wow. :D

dry down: the sweetgrass has returned. but the blueberry is still goin' strong!

in all: this has GOT to be the most perfect summer scent of all time. like eating a pint of blueberries while lying in hay in a barn in late july. i love this, i love this, i love this!

:D :D :D

just a quick little review. First off (wet) i got a fresh fruity - though not discernably blueberry scent...after drydown, i have to say that it was much richer and warmer and something about it reminds me intently of the last beaver moon - so i guess to me it feels like warm cream and cherry cake!

z.O.M.G.

Just sniffing in the bottle:

The first impression I get is that it smells like warm sugar covered blueberries in a pastry. I make something called "Blueberry Boy Bait" which is like a coffee cake sort of confection and that was the first thing I thought of.

On the exhale, I smell musk. Darker and heavier.

Another sniff, and I can pick up the juiciness of the red currants -- a little tart.

Fruit smells aren't usually my thing, but this one is deeper and darker on the bottom notes and well grounded. Can't wait to see what it will be like on my skin.

Edited by TwilightEyes

In the Bottle: Smells almost like blueberry pancakes.

Wet: Blueberry goodness, but I can also smell the currant and hmm...maybe that's the ginger that I smell as well.

Dry: Oh yummy. The vanilla has come out to play. The blueberry has toned down a bit, and I can still smell the current and the ginger. Man, I'm loving this. It's very sweet and a little foody. Now I'm very glad I went ahead and got this one.

When I first smelled this I was like, eh, I don't think I'm gonna like it. Just goes to show how wrong I can be :P

In the bottle: balsamic

Wet: still vinegary, but mixed with sweet blueberry gum, not too much, just enough to turn into juicy blueberry tarts.

Drydown: Almost vanillay or sugary like Hope, but with slightly tart blueberries mixed in. I still get the powdered-sugar-smell that I got from Beaver Moon, but this time it is subtle, offset by the tartness. Blueberry cakes :P I can still detect vinegar just a little bit.

Different enough to be interesting, yummy enough to be something I will actually wear, and I absolutely love the concept. The label is gorgeous, pink and red crawdads against a green background. Forum only scents make me feel special.

ETA: I totally get the comparison to those tinned candies. Only on me this is more vinegary. I wonder if that is my chemistry doing that? I like it.

Edited by Tempest

Wow. This is serious blueberries. It was a fizzy blueberry on wet. And now it's a mix of blueberry and ginger. Mmm. I love this part of it.

Although I have to admit I like the smell of blueberries, I'm not entirely sure I want to smell like them. I am keeping my decant, and perhaps thinking of more.

I LOVE BLUEBERRIES! At least the smell of them, anyway, so naturally I ADORE this straight out of the bottle. Bright, sweet, juicy blueberries!

And then...it goes on my skin.

DAMN YOU, TEA! This is why I don't like you. You are the playground bully. You take my precious blueberries and turn them into vile soap! You don't even let any of the other notes come out to play! How rude!

I refuse to part with this bottle, though. Its precious oils will merely have to live in my scent locket rather than on my skin. I'm sure they will survive. They will, right?

Edited by angharad

I'm glad so many others seem to love this blend because on me, it's spicy, gingery blueberries for two seconds, and then ... soap.

Nice soap, kind of a light floral soap, but still ... soap.

Bummer. In the bottle it's blueberry heaven.

A.

Warm blueberry muffin, sweet but not buttery-foody, thank goodness. The blueberries keep it tart and fresh under the sweetness. But like any warm blueberry muffin, it doesn't stick around very long! I've applied it twice in the last three hours and it's gone again.